Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SOW| Who Deserves Your Vote for Next Greatest Redskin of All Time

rd421

Gotta admit, a few names comes to mind.

Not sure if they're already set, but Jim Lachey, touted as one of the best o-linemen in his time.

Martin Mayhew; yea, Green overshadowed him, but he did step out into his own, especially in the 91 season.

If they're already in, pardon me, its just been a super long day, and the only things on my mind are the bed and Barbara Edfed when she was Jeannie...:cool:

Sorry, but I think Taylor does deserve to get in with the 80th votes. Part of it is because of what he did, part of it is recognizing what he was becoming, and part is to honor the fact is was all cut way too short due to tragedy. You have Didier as definitely worthy when his seasons with us were not very remarkable. His contributions in playoffs and Superbowl weren't bad, but his entire resume, essentially a guy on a great team along for the ride, shouldn't carry more weight than a player who was already being regarded as the best FS in the league and right before his death started drawing comparisons to Lott.

Charlie Brown had 1 very good season w/ the Skins, and other seasons cut short, yet he is a lock and Taylor falls short? Ricky Ervins played 4 seasons w/ us and never broke 700 yards rushing in one of them. You have to do more than simply be on the team when they win a Superbowl to be considered great. Sean Taylor truly was great at his position.

Weren't we just having this conversation? :D

I still don't think Taylor should get in, even though I know he probably will (I'm not going to rehash my arguments here, people can go read that thread if they want). I agree with you on Brown though. I don't think his body of work with us measures up either.

Weren't we just having this conversation? :D

I still don't think Taylor should get in, even though I know he probably will (I'm not going to rehash my arguments here, people can go read that thread if they want). I agree with you on Brown though. I don't think his body of work with us measures up either.

I look at it this way: Greatest of All Time. Other than Houston who surpasses mainly due to playing longer, do we have a safety that comes near Sean Taylor in Skins history? I get the arguments against since ST didn't play long, but given what he did in his short stint at his position and that his time was tragically cut short, and that he died off the field protecting his family, all that combined with him being elite at his position merit making the top 80 IMO.

I think the biggest question here is this: Are there truly 10 new players that deserve to be added or is the organization just doing this to give the fans something to do? I would rather the title Greatest of all time not be shared with people like Fred Smoot it waters it down.

With fan voting it's going to be so biased towards recent players it won't even be funny...

I predict 8 out of 10 players will be from the 90's or 2000's

That's exactly why I'm not voting. My votes would be useless and for the record, I would have sprinkled in some from each era.

Ricky Ervins? Seriously? Maybe I got some dain bramage, but I don't know why he was listed on the ballot...let alone your list. This is not to bash the guy, I liked him. Did I miss something from him?

Lol, see everyone else already thought the same thing. Ervins was a favorite of mine growing up, and actually my first sig when I signed up on here was a Ricky Ervins sig. But one of the greatest Skins of all time? Reggie Brooks has a bigger claim than Ervins does. And that's saying something.'

EDIT:

Being serious, outside of Portis who should be a lock, moondog is also right about this:

Stephen Davis

How Ricky Ervins, God bless him, gets a mention but not Davis is beyond me

I'd love to see a defense of Charlie Brown, Ricky Ervins, Clint Didier, Vernon Dean, Jack Pardee.

I just can't see it.

Charlie Brown

I loved Charlie Brown back in the day. I mean LOVED him. But he was good to great for 2 seasons. He was injured for much of 84 and then poof he was gone. No way he's in the top 80. A guy like Henry Ellard and certainly Santana Moss belong there before him. Again, I loved him, but he was here way too short.

Ricky Ervins

Really? He was good as a change of pace back for one season. After 1991, he was largely invisible here and was gone after the 94 season. So 4 seasons and was only notable in his first. One of the 80 greats? Nope.

Clint Didier

Was a good receiving tight end. Nice player. But one of the 80 best? Nope.

Vernon Dean

Started off great in 1982. But was benched during 1983. Got his job back in 1984 after Anthony Washington fizzled but the Redskins sought to replace him for the balance of his career and finally did so in 1987 with Barry Wilburn. So he was a starter for all the games (or very close to that) only 3 times (82, 85 and 86). One of the 80 greatest? No way. Just from the 00's, I'll take Fred Smoot and Shawn Springs ahead of him any day as a great Redskin.

Jack Pardee

As a player he was here for two seasons. He was never an assistant here (I believe) but even if he was it would have been for a couple of years tops before going on to coach the Bears. He then came here in 1978 to be head coach and had a mediocre run. How is he one of the 80 greatest?

I look at it this way: Greatest of All Time. Other than Houston who surpasses mainly due to playing longer, do we have a safety that comes near Sean Taylor in Skins history? I get the arguments against since ST didn't play long, but given what he did in his short stint at his position and that his time was tragically cut short, and that he died off the field protecting his family, all that combined with him being elite at his position merit making the top 80 IMO.

Sammy Baugh was a safety.

Sammy Baugh was a safety.

Baugh was great as an overall player and athlete in his era, and innovative at the QB spot. At safety Sean Taylor is better and would have been the best we ever had. Different eras anyways, and I don't think simply pointing out a technicality works in your favor. Baugh led the league in interceptions, but played in a different era is known almost primarily for his acheivements at QB. If you did straight up comparisons then Theismann was better at QB than Baugh, which is again why you can't really compare different eras.

Ken Houston was the best safety in Redskins' history. He was a 9 time pro bowl choice and lead the NFL in TDs scored as a DB until Deion Sanders broke his record 25 years later.

#27 seems to be the one Hall of Fame player for the team that fans, media and national writers always seem to discount. Why I don't know.

At the time, it was obvious to everyone that watched the team that Houston was the club's best defensive player and the Allen teams had some great defensive teams, whatever their offensive shortcomings.

Ken Houston was the best safety in Redskins' history. He was a 9 time pro bowl choice and lead the NFL in TDs scored as a DB until Deion Sanders broke his record 25 years later.
And bulldog is right again. Ken Houston period.

Richie Petitbon is a no brainer to me. The Skins D was dominate with him at the helm.

He was one of my ten as well, I think that those defenses were so good in the second half, he was able to make just the right adjustment to shut down an opposing offense

voted.

Buges, Pettibon, Beathard, Milot, Grant, Davis, Samuels, Portis, Taylor, and JOHN PALUCK

:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky

Archived