Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

per Jason Cole twitter - Redskins have released Gaffney (CONFIRMED)

c4man5282

Let me chime in:

1) Let's not get into a "will Cooley or Moss be next" debate. That will go nowhere in here.

2) It's really laughable that anyone would think that Gaffney was released because he refused to give up #10. Coaches don't give a **** what number you wear and they leave that up to the players and the equipment manager.

Gaffney was released because:

1) Age- 31 going on 32

2( Cap hit- 2.6 million.

3) Unlike Moss, he doesn't have the big play capability

Quote From Jabar:

Josina Anderson (@JosinaAnderson)

WR Jabar Gaffney speaks on his release from the Redskins: "I just heard. I just talked to Mike Shanahan. He said I was going to be making too much, and that they wanted to see what the other players can do. He said there is a chance I can come back, but he said it would be for around the minimum because I wouldn't be the starter anymore. I am not interested in going from being their leading receiver to being third-string, and having my number taken from me. That is pretty much telling me that I am not going to be making the team. Now Drew (Rosenhaus) can start talking to other teams to find me a new home."

I'm sure he will get a job somewhere - he has some miles in his tank still as a possession receiver. No surprise we have cut him though, when your number is given to another player it is seldom a good sign.....

Gaffney said all Hell would freeze before he gives RGIII his beloved number 10 jersey

Rumor or did I miss some nonsense?

Doubt that. You don't release a player over something silly like a jersey number.

I'm a go with rumor.

Statements like this are the results of watching decades of bad offenses.

Gaffney was a master of catching ten yard passes & falling backwards for three. Over a decade in the League & never once had a 1,000 yard season.

But hey, he gets "hacked" on twitter so he at least has that going for him.:ols:

I think that is somewhat harsh TK. Gaffney was sure handed and found pockets to get open. No sense in blaming him for having two worthless guys throwing the ball. I see Gaffney as a good vet third or fourth receiver. At least unlike Moss he hung on to the tough catches. I know he had no future here with who they brought in and they are surely upgrades but he was a bright spot from a dim year. I wish him well. And to be honest I would not be surprised to see him land somewhere.

Gaffney had 947 yds and average 13.9 per catch, I don't see a problem for Garcon to exceed that easily.

Let me chime in:

1) Let's not get into a "will Cooley or Moss be next" debate. That will go nowhere in here.

2) It's really laughable that anyone would think that Gaffney was released because he refused to give up #10. Coaches don't give a **** what number you wear and they leave that up to the players and the equipment manager.

Gaffney was released because:

1) Age- 31 going on 32

2( Cap hit- 2.6 million.

3) Unlike Moss, he doesn't have the big play capability

Get out of here with all that common sense, that has no place here.

I don't think cooley/moss are going to be pre-camp cuts... they may not make the final roster, but i think they've more than earned the right to fight for their job.

they have also earned the chance to compete to join another team. If they go through Training camp and get cut, it ill be hard for them to get on another team

His cap hit and age did not help. He has very little RAC ability, but is pretty sure handed and does not drop as many balls as Moss. Not always bad to have a guy that finds a seam and get a first down. Both of them (Tana and Gaffney) have thier best years behind them.

I would not be suprised is he lands with the Patriots and has a killer year.

Gaffney is a solid veteran receiver. No more, no less. I liked him a lot last year because he had pretty good hands, he found holes in the defense, and he was enthusiastic on the field despite our woes on offense and our record. I'm actually surprised we could not get a 6th or 7th for him because I think he can still be a solid contributor on offense for a few more years.

I think TK was a little harsh in the language but his reasoning is right - Gaffney finds holes in the defense, catches the ball, and that is the end of the play. Albeit he did have one outstanding move after the catch last year and I was impressed with that particular play...it was simply a first down but I remember it being a nice move to make the defender miss and get extra yards - had to give the man some props hah. Best of luck to him, he'll definitely be on a roster this year.

they have also earned the chance to compete to join another team. If they go through Training camp and get cut, it ill be hard for them to get on another team

Agreed.

Are you suggesting they're not interested in competing for a job here?

Wow, he's really stuck on that number 10. Sounds pretty childish right there.

to be fair it was a pretty ****ty way the redskins handled it.

i would expect him to be bitter. i'm not thrilled with the way it was handled either, although i'm able to quickly move past it...

Wow, he's really stuck on that number 10. Sounds pretty childish right there.

While I do think giving RG3 the #10 while it was still technically owned by Gaffney wasn't exactly the proper move, I'm not digging his response either. Gaffney was our leading receiver yes, but he didn't exactly light the world on fire when Santana went down. If Hankerson had stayed healthy after Miami, I do believe a lot of the looks Gaffney received would have gone to him instead.

While yes Gaffney played well, he wasn't from the start. He kinda became our top receiver by default and out of necessity.

I'm glad they did this classy. Gaffney deserve a chance to get a nice contract. He put up strong #2 just barely #1 WR numbers last season. 5 TD catches looks very good for teams trying to bolster their WR core. I knew he was gone once trade talks began. This will be way more interesting pre season than Ive seen in years.

HAIL!

Looks like the number being taken away hit him personally, so maybe it's not too laughable. It's obviously not the entire reason he was cut, but it was part of it.

In my best Cowherd voice:

Playing WR in 2012 is different than 1995. Rookies can excel. Corners can't hold you up and down the field. You don't need to be 6'4" and run a 4.3 to get open. It's a passing league. If you make too much money, you're expendable. If you make too much money and you don't make big plays, you're gone. If make too much money, don't make big play and ***** over twitter, you have no chance.

Guys who can catch are a dime a dozen in the NFL. I like Gaffney fine, and suspect he has a place on some NFL rosters, but for a team that just got their cap cut by $18 million, there's very little incentive to maintain him at $2.6 million.

I would not be suprised is he lands with the Patriots and has a killer year.

Redskins released WR Jabar Gaffney.

The moves clears $2.65M in salary off the books. Gaffney caught a career-high 68 passes for 947 yards and five touchdowns last season, but offered little after the catch. He became expendable after the Skins committed nearly $30M guaranteed to Pierre Garcon and Josh Morgan. Gaffney's bizarre April Twitter rant surely didn't help matters. The Patriots were considered likely to be interested in Gaffney if he hit the open market, but that was before they retained Deion Branch and Chad Ochocinco, and signed Anthony Gonzalez and Donte' Stallworth. With at least 50 catches in each of the past three seasons, the 31-year-old Gaffney should find a new home soon.

Source: Jason Cole on Twitter

Redskins released WR Jabar Gaffney.

The moves clears $2.65M in salary off the books. Gaffney caught a career-high 68 passes for 947 yards and five touchdowns last season, but offered little after the catch. He became expendable after the Skins committed nearly $30M guaranteed to Pierre Garcon and Josh Morgan. Gaffney's bizarre April Twitter rant surely didn't help matters. The Patriots were considered likely to be interested in Gaffney if he hit the open market, but that was before they retained Deion Branch and Chad Ochocinco, and signed Anthony Gonzalez and Donte' Stallworth. With at least 50 catches in each of the past three seasons, the 31-year-old Gaffney should find a new home soon.

Source: Jason Cole on Twitter

Stallworth expendable...lets see what happens. I still say he heads there

Archived