Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The ES 2012 Draft days thread (Day 3)

PCS

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/wires/04/27/2020.ap.fbn.draft.redskins.1st.ld.writethru.0663/index.html

Great quote from Josh LeRibeus...As far as any loyalties to a particular team in Texas, Redskins fans needn't worry: He's not a Cowboys fan. "Either you hate `em or you love 'em,'' he said. "I'm definitely one that hates `em.''

We got a big guy for the interior of the line, like lineman with "nasty streaks", can pull, somewhat athletic, fairly strong and he hates the cowboys...I like the pick.

I would say that if we bring in Polk, it would probably be the end of Royster here. Polk is a lot more physical than Evan and looks to be a good inside runner to complement Helu. I see Lamar Miller as being too similar to Helu for us to pick him up. I could be wrong, but I don't see Miller as an upgrade over Helu, nor a good complement whereas Polk is an upgrade over Royster.

Of course I know both have shoulder issues, so that's kind of the unknown factor.

If we trade Jabar Gaffney, move Niles Paul to TE (and cut/trade either Cooley or Paulsen), can anyone see us drafting a WR? Especially if we cut Brandon Banks, I would love to pick up a guy like Joe Adams in the 4th, who can be a potentially game-breaking receiver and return man (2 duties for 1 roster spot, rather than 2 roster spots).

If we trade Jabar Gaffney, move Niles Paul to TE (and cut/trade either Cooley or Paulsen), can anyone see us drafting a WR? Especially if we cut Brandon Banks, I would love to pick up a guy like Joe Adams in the 4th, who can be a potentially game-breaking receiver and return man (2 duties for 1 roster spot, rather than 2 roster spots).

First, I want them to go best player, but if I could arrange best player by need... they wouldn't draft a wr or a rb, but get lbs, c, s, or more o-linemen.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/wires/04/27/2020.ap.fbn.draft.redskins.1st.ld.writethru.0663/index.html

Great quote from Josh LeRibeus...As far as any loyalties to a particular team in Texas, Redskins fans needn't worry: He's not a Cowboys fan. "Either you hate `em or you love 'em,'' he said. "I'm definitely one that hates `em.''

We got a big guy for the interior of the line, like lineman with "nasty streaks", can pull, somewhat athletic, fairly strong and he hates the cowboys...I like the pick.

Best part of the piece is that he is a cowpiles hater. :dallasuck

Yes sir I just saw this as well, also in the press release were these tid-bits and maybe this will make it easier to understand why they took this guy....

On if he had any indication of what round he would be drafted:

“Third or fourth, anywhere in there is what I was thinking.”

On if he is more comfortable lining up on the left or right side:

“Nah, to be honest, it doesn’t matter. Left I’m used to, but I played right at the Shrine Game. So I am equally comfortable.”

On what kind of blocking scheme he played in college:

“Man, it was more of a man-blocking scheme. More of a two-point, two-point all the time actually.”

On his thoughts of the zone blocking scheme:

“Oh, I love it. We did a lot of it in the Shrine game. Definitely feels more at home.”

On why the zone blocking scheme feels comfortable:

“The three-point stance is just exploding off of the ball. [it’s] definitely something I feel more comfortable with.”

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?364924-Press-Release-Quotes-Redskins-Third-Round-Pick-G-Josh-LeRibeus

I'd like:

#102 RB Robert Turbin or RB Lamar Miller

#109 OT Bobby Massie or CB Ron Brooks

#141 WR Greg Childs or WR Marvin Jones or WR Marvin McNutt

#173 DT Jaye Howard or ILB Noah Keller or FS Aaron Henry

#213 RB Brandon Bolden or TE James Hanna

#217 CB Buddy Jackson or ILB Marcus Dowtin

I find it interesting that in this thread and others that people point to Jarvis Jenkins as proof that this FO knows how to judge talent. This is not a dig at the FO as I like what they are doing, but Jarvis Jenkins has not played a down in a regular season game. The way a player performs in college or a pre season NFL game does not mean they are going to be a NFL star. John Beck performed pretty well in pre season last year, enough for some people to think he should have been the starter. We all know how that worked out when he got his chance. I hope Jenkins becomes a beast. I hope RG3 becomes a Hall of Famer. However, lets give these guys a chance to prove themselves on the field during the regular season before we elevate them to some level that has just not been earned at this point in their career.

My top targets for the Skins Day #

My prediction one of these guys will be a Redskin, Maybe/hopefully two or heck 3.

1) LT/RT Bobbie Massie (Of course most have him as the top remaining talent expect Rams to take him)

2) FS George Iloka (He may be there for us) Third or 4th ranked safety this year

3) NT Alameda Tamu (3-4 Nose tackle)

4) CB Alfonzo Dennard

5) RT Thomas Compton (Fits our blocking schemes)

6) RT Zebrie Sanders

I have to admit to being taken aback by this pick. Obviously team boards are the not the same as Kiper's etc. Still when so many see him as a late round pick the natural tendency is to consider it a reach. Especially when he does not appear to have mobility as a strength. Still in Shanny I trust so if they think he is a player then I'll defer. Sure is nice to see interior OL addressed.

I also agree that Halu may not be the full time answer. IMO Royster showed more every down, move the chains ability. If they draft a RB today I would be fine with it given Mike's history of late round RB success.

I'd like:

#102 RB Robert Turbin or RB Lamar Miller

#109 OT Bobby Massie or CB Ron Brooks

#141 WR Greg Childs or WR Marvin Jones or WR Marvin McNutt

#173 DT Jaye Howard or ILB Noah Keller or FS Aaron Henry

#213 RB Brandon Bolden or TE James Hanna

#217 CB Buddy Jackson or ILB Marcus Dowtin

I'm hoping Bobby Massie is still around in the 4th when the Skins pick...What do you think of Zebrie Sanders (RT) from FSU?

Also later in the draft, somehow getting a kick & punt returner (I like Banks, but I don't see him coming back) that can also be a gunner and/or contribute as a runner/receiver/dimeback would be awesome. Is there anyone left like that?

I'm pulling for Chris Rainey.

I find it interesting that in this thread and others that people point to Jarvis Jenkins as proof that this FO knows how to judge talent. This is not a dig at the FO as I like what they are doing, but Jarvis Jenkins has not played a down in a regular season game. The way a player performs in college or a pre season NFL game does not mean they are going to be a NFL star. John Beck performed pretty well in pre season last year, enough for some people to think he should have been the starter. We all know how that worked out when he got his chance. I hope Jenkins becomes a beast. I hope RG3 becomes a Hall of Famer. However, lets give these guys a chance to prove themselves on the field during the regular season before we elevate them to some level that has just not been earned at this point in their career.

Points to Jarvis Jenkins? How about the 11 out of 12 that don't include Jenkins as 2011 contributors? That is a striking number of players who not only made the team but actually played and look to have a good future. I think any fan should be happy with about 50% of draftees making the team and playing.

The glass is more than half full but not if your standing on your head.

I have no problem with our third round pick, but...

People are getting awfully testy towards those calling it a 'reach', essentially saying there is no such thing as a reach because each team is following their board. It's all opinion, isn't it?

I have no problem with our third round pick, but...

People are getting awfully testy towards those calling it a 'reach', essentially saying there is no such thing as a reach because each team is following their board. It's all opinion, isn't it?

i know its funny isn't. the big draft thread was suppose to highlight player strengths and weaknesses, not what round they go into.

FYI.....

That means that the Redskins have two picks in the fourth (102 and 109 overall), one each in the fifth (141) and sixth (173) and two in the seventh (213 and 217).

The draft starts at 12:00 and we will bring you coverage and analysis of every pick right here. We’ll also have coverage of the introduction of Robert Griffin III to the Washington media and to Redskins fans at FedEx Field.

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/redskins-talk/Draft-reset-Redskins-have-six-picks-toda?blockID=698427&feedID=6355

I just find it humourous that if a team takes a player that was not in the 1000 mockdrafts repeatedly than it is a reach. Very few mock draft guys devote any more time to it than I did last week. Bottom line value is not defined by mock drafts but by each team's individual scouting department. I say trust Bruce Allen and company because they have done a solid job of building this team from the ground up. While not popular because of fans' impatience, it takes time to build a team for the long hall and we are doing it.

For what it's worth, Jsteelz was saying last night on Twitter that Lamar Miller needs shoulder surgery. Whether it's a serious problem, I don't know...it's probably out there on the 'net, but I'm not inclined to look right now. And, I remember Mayock saying a lot of teams had moved C. Polk off their boards b/c of a degenerative issue and risk for future injury (although someone will still probably scoop him up in a late round). I've just seen they're names quite a bit here, so wanted to throw that out there.

Sorry, here's the quote...

Jsteelz ‏ @Jsteelzextreme

2 of the top likes of skins fans at RB, Miller and Polk both have bum shoulders right now..slip to be expected..Miller needs surg. #HTTR

Also, people are saying this guy is a starting Guard, that is dependent on him getting into shape. I have a feeling he is going to be a bit taken back by the speed of the game. He is a tubby non-athletic guy. I think considering he has one of the lowest grade value of any guy taken in the 3rd is telling. I just think we didnt need to take a risk like that. Sure, he is a scheme guy, but there was talent to be had, even if it wasn't on the o-line. At the very least, I do not see why we couldn't have traded down farther and still gotten the guy.
Maybe this will help ease your angst.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Gil Brandt?

But he's an objective, very well respected football mind and one of the few bona fide draft 'experts'

He had LeRibeus in his top 100 prospects:

April 5th, 2012 | Gil Brandt | Tags: 2012 pro days, Josh Leribeus

SMU’s pro day was held Wednesday on a beautiful day — about 85 degrees, with little to no wind. Twenty-five NFL teams were present, including the tight ends coaches from Dallas, Jacksonville and Baltimore.

Among the players who worked out on Wednesday:

Josh Leribeus, OL (6-foot-3 3/8, 318 pounds). Leribeus, who was academically ineligible in 2010, was put through some O-line drills. He’s got really good feet, and he’s strong. He’ll be a third-rounder and he has a chance to start as a rookie at guard.

People were mad we didn't take Gabbert last year and even more confused when we took Kerrigan thinking he can only play 4-3 DE. A year later and he was in the running for defensive rookie of the year. I never heard of Kerrigan before we drafted him and I reserved judgement until I saw him on the field. I will do the same now.

Archived