Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SOW| Has Mike Shanahan Built His Offensive Masterpiece?

rd421

Who exactly is your audience here. Redskins homers only? Mike shanahan hadn't seen this group yet. I get the enthusiasm, but you lose me with the definitive. Paul a great TE? Morgan was hurt all of last year. Garçon had moments, but nothing that would be considered devastating. Helu and Royster aren't polished. And rg3 is a rookie. I'd wager this offense will have a much different look all together in 2 years. Why not wait and see who we add in the draft to declare the offense done for the year, let alone a masterpiece.
Debbie Downer says hi. :silly:

I read something the other day about Shanahan being a QB killer. It made me think about who Shanahan killed. Was it Steve Young no, Elway no, McNabb no. He killed himself with Dr peppers and Dominos pizzas. I think Mcnabb had such a problem, because Grossman did better than him. Well a couple of games he did better.

Great post here. I am also excited to see what will become of this offense if Hankerson can stay healthy. The move of Paul to TE is reminding me of Hernandez from NE, NO LB can cover him, has size and is comfotable getting in the 3 point stance and blocking. I think that RGIII will be that piece that brings this offense together athleticly and I expect to see good things from Helu as well. Are the health issues there from the Oline to our WR's..sure....but I for one see everything falling in place this off season. Great Job Shanahans.

I'm going to leave the monikers mastermind and genius on the shelf for now until Shanahan fixed our ****ing miserable offensive line.

I'm shocked, really, that we haven't done more t protect our HUGE investment. I can't believe we haven't been more aggressive in free agency and the draft is a crap shoot. Arrrgh!

I have you been paying any attention this offseason?

I don't wanna hear any of yall crying when we have a game that resembles the John Beck debacle last year.

Talk about having high expectations. Not only will we be a good team, but we'll have a "masterpiece" of an offense. Personally, and I hope I'm wrong, I expect about half a "masterpiece" at BEST, and even then I'll be happy.

Why can't we just be happy with solid progress? There's no need to start talking like this. Its silly and it's gonna leave a lot of yall pretty pissed off when we struggle this year (and we WILL struggle). It's a shame that all the crying will probably keep me away from ES at a very exciting time.

Did I really just read "Imagine Leonard Hankerson and Pierre Garcon on the outside".... seriously? I understand excitement over new pieces and a new offense but this EASILY would stack up to be the LEAST imposing outside tandem in the NFCE alone.

As of now, looking at the rosters of all 4 NFC East teams, if we put Garcon and Hankerson with Moss as the 3rd WR, we can stack up with any of them. I'm not saying we have the best, but I think overall as far as depth goes, I think we have better depth then the Giants and Cowboys and the Eagles are probably even with us. The Giants have lost alot of depth in recent years with Steve Smith 2.0 and now Manningham leaving. After Cruz and Nicks, Ramses Barden and Jurnigan are their backups. After Bryant and Austin, Dallass is lacking. After Jackson and Macklin, they have Cooper and Avant who has seen time in their systems.

I read something the other day about Shanahan being a QB killer. It made me think about who Shanahan killed. Was it Steve Young no, Elway no, McNabb no. He killed himself with Dr peppers and Dominos pizzas. I think Mcnabb had such a problem, because Grossman did better than him. Well a couple of games he did better.

And that says a lot! After the Shanahan benched McNabb, the following week the Skins played the Cowboys. Grossman moved the ball well. Much better job than McNadds.

---------- Post added April-24th-2012 at 05:27 PM ----------

And he'll probably sit around that 234 mark if he's staying at TE

He could. Hernandez is 241lbs. I think Paul moving to TE is good move.

Shanahan/Allen have signed or drafted more OLmen in 2 years, then Vinny/Zorn/Gibbs did in the previous 5 years. I think we take 2 OL in the draft and we just signed Lee from TB. Problem is, we were hit with the 18 million dollar penalty, so that kind of hampered our choices.

Yep, take out the Beck games and the Redskins had a Top 10 OL for sacks with Grossman at QB. I expect RG3 to get sacked more in his first season but it's not because our OL is garbage, he'll be a rookie and teams will take advantage of that.

---------- Post added April-24th-2012 at 02:42 PM ----------

And he'll probably sit around that 234 mark if he's staying at TE

Pretty close to Shannon Sharpe weight and he's a little shorter also.

Yep, take out the Beck games and the Redskins had a Top 10 OL for sacks with Grossman at QB. I expect RG3 to get sacked more in his first season but it's not because our OL is garbage, he'll be a rookie and teams will take advantage of that.

If you just take away the Buffalo game, we only had 31 sacks. That would've put us above New England. But even if you consider that we give up 2, maybe 3 sacks a game, that's 34 sacks. Tops. That'd be down from the 46 we gave up in 2010 and 2009.

That game wasn't normal. The Bills had 29 sacks last year. TEN OF THOSE CAME AGAINST US. On top of our guys playing out of position in the game, John Beck sacked himself, A LOT.

Offensive masterpiece and Redskins offense together, C'mon son. I'm as excited as the next guy but you are jumping the gun by just mentioning those words together . The best two offensive players are one weed hit from a long suspension, Morgan and garcon have not played here or have shown to be #1's, Hankerson has shown a spark but is coming of injury, OL needs help, and RG3 has not even played a down in the NFL. The Redskins offense will not even be top 5 next year. Can it be at some point, sure but you could probably say that about the majority of offenses if you take the right view point. At this point the Redskins being a masterpiece offense is just conjecture.

I guess it is the time of year when exitement builds for the Skins, before hope is dashed.

I kid a bit, but while you can be happy about the talent brought in, it is just numbers on the page until they actually do something for this team. I still think the biggest issue with the offense right now is still the OL, which I felt was mediocre talent-wise last year and so far no real upgrades. Skill position upgrades don't mean much if the QB doesn't have the time to get them the ball.

Well said brother.

The OL needs to improve in both quality and depth to give the OL a chance to be average to above average.

Last year we kinda got lucky and unearthed 2 young OL that are at a minimum quality back-up.

Maybe the staff expects those OL to take the next step this year?

The OL improved when Willie Smith and Maurice Hurt entered the line-up and they finished with higher ratings then Jamaal Brown and Chris Chester.

I hope the staff is still looking to upgrade the OL and not banking on improvement from Jamaal Brown and Chris Chester who were our worst OL according to PFF.

Thankfully this draft has some quality OL available in the 3rd and 4th (Josh LeRebeus, Donald Stephenson, Senio Kelemente) round that are considering starting caliber by some.

(especially for our team like ours where the incumbents aren't very good)

There are also the June 1st veteran cuts which could bring in a stopgap that could be an improvement over Brown or Chester.

---------- Post added April-24th-2012 at 06:57 PM ----------

But back to the OP there is talent on this roster on offense and I believe it will go as far as the OL will allow the QB to take them

Z........................TE LT LG C RG RT.............SL.............X

.......................................QB RB

Z-Garcon

TE-Fred Davis

LT-Trent Williams

LG-Kory Lichtensteiger

C-Will Monty

RG- Chris Chester?? (Maurice Hurt/3rd/4th round rookie OG)

RT- Jamaal Brown?? (Willie Smith/3rd round rookie OT)

SL-Moss

X-Morgan/Hankerson

QB-Duh

RB-Roy Helu

So I will readily admit I haven't been a fan of this team for nearly as long as most of you, but I have to ask, for those who are truly longtime fans of many many years, can you honestly recall a season you have looked forward to or that has had as much buzz as this upcoming season???

I still think we need a speedy make people miss third down back or slot receiver. Rainey...Hilton ...Pead ...James, etc.

If you are looking for a LaMichael James type RB, this guy is not that but the NFL.com full mock has us taking Chris Polk, RB from Washington, in the 4th round. From the couple games I saw him play I came away very impressed, including against Baylor. While I think it may be more advantageous for us to re-sign Hightower and address other needs, Shanny does love to draft RB's and I think Polk could be a good one.

Personally, I think he'll go sooner than the 4th round but he may drop due to injury concerns (two shoulder surgeries).

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d8288dc3b/article/sevenround-mock-projecting-every-pick-in-2012-nfl-draft?module=HP11_cp

http://sidelinescouting.com/rankings/2012/rb/chris-polk/

Archived