Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo Sports: Pat Robertson BELIEVES Peyton Manning should get hurt this year.

SkinFaninOKC

Would you be saying that if this was anyone else? Like, say someone on espn 980?

Probably. But any ol' schlub on ESPN 980 doesn't consider themself a national Christian religious leader. Except Morty from Rockville. But that guy's crazy.

Would you be saying that if this was anyone else? Like, say someone on espn 980?

And as a Christian I will say that Pat Robertson does not represent me at all, ever.

Well, since it's not someone on ESPN980 can we stick to the fact that it was once again Pat Robertson saying these awful hateful petty things?

This guy is a constant barrage of this crap, and terrific, he doesn't represent you.

He represents himself, that's for sure. And he CLAIMS to represent a whole lot more, which is why it always means a little more when he says it. He's once again showing his ass, and it's unfortunate there are still people in this world who will listen to him and prop him up and allow this sort of thing to represent them.

And that is why it bugs people.

~Bang

"And you just ask yourself," Robertson said, "OK, so Peyton Manning was a tremendous MVP quarterback, but he's been injured. If that injury comes back, Denver will find itself without a quarterback. And in my opinion, it would serve them right."

1) I am not defending Pat. He does NOT speak for me, represent me or any of that. I think he is quite a bit loony as others have stated.

I think people are taking the "it would serve them right" to be directed at Manning. Not really sure about this, but I think the same statement could be made about any team that made the playoffs and then looked to replace their perceived weak QB with a better one (for fun look up Baltimore Ravens Bring in Elvis Grbac.)

In the end how in the world did this quote ever make it to publication?

On and on it goes.

AND Haiti made a pact with the Devil AND Hugo Chavez should be killed AND Dover, PA residents because they exercised their right to vote against intelligent design supporting school board members shouldn’t expect help from God in the event of a disaster AND Ariel Sharon’s stroke is a result of dividing God’s land AND on and on.

I said the same thing: Why not keep Tebow incase Manning got hurt? (again).

He has not "Actually" played a real game of football since the injury.

Because they'd have to completely change the offense. That's why the Broncos went out and got Caleb Hanie to be the backup.

---------- Post added March-26th-2012 at 12:06 PM ----------

Hilarious that below the article, there is another article that says, "Joe Namath blasts Jets for trading for Tebow." Robertson has alzheimers and Namath is drunk.

You know what is the worst thing about Pat Robertson, he is the face of Christianity to most of the non-Christians. :doh:

Sadly, you're right, and I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that there aren't enough leading public voices within the church who challenge him openly. I know a lot don't like to take their criticisms public but IMO if we don't do so then for many folks outside of the discussion Pat's insanity goes unchecked by the church and is left standing a legitimate Chrisitan perspective.

It also makes the HUGE assumption that Peyton Manning is God-less man: http://www.getreligion.org/2007/01/religion-uncovered-on-the-gridiron/

This is honestly what ticks me off the most about the Tebow-mania, that Tebow will somehow bring success to a team because he is very public about his faith. It assumes either that 1) there are no active and faithful Christians on those teams before Tebow got there, or 2) that their faith wasn't good enough for God to bless the team with wins....as if God cares about the Broncos winning a Super Bowl.

Oh, but wait...Denver is in Colorado which is where James Dobson and all the other REAL Christians live. :doh:

Oh, but wait...Denver is in Colorado which is where James Dobson and all the other REAL Christians live. :doh:

Well, due to altitude, it IS closer to heaven. But as far as Colorado is concerned I never realized until recently that it was such a hot-bed for evangelical Christians. My wife attended grad school in Colorado Springs and I just learned about all that stuff that goes on there.

I don't know,, I'm non-Christian, and I always look at the 'face' of it as being the people in my neighborhood. I know Pat and Jerry and their awful ilk have their followers, but I don't think I've ever met anyone who follows along with much of their branding of the world.

I prefer to think of pastor Rick over at the local baptist church that runs the food bank. My 84 yr old neighbor gets stuff from the food bank, and what she doesn't like, she brings over here. I don't have the heart to tell her we don't need it, so I just take the bag and then take it back over to the food bank. I'm going to mark some of this stuff, i swear the same box of lime jell-o has gone around a few times.

I've got real problems with religion, but I don't think I've ever equated these zealots with everyone. I can be general sometimes in criticisms, but overall, the faith is made up by the people, and most of them are not very loud.

Live and let live, eh?

~Bang

Dang Bang, I said most. Kill me. :silly:

There are good people and bad people in all aspects of life. Unfortunately that includes religious people. I heard stories of some supposedly good people doing some bad things...

Anyways to get back on topic, Peyton Manning should be okay in Denver. I don't think he is damaged goods and I really don't think Denver will give a man a 90 million dollar contract if they weren't at least okay with is health.

God's not interested in knocking Peyton out.

[image of Jesus playing without Helmet, or is it Clay Matthews.

Jesus ought to be careful playing football without a helmet. Pat Robertson apparently has taken a few too many hits to the head.

And I disagree about God's intent here ... Pat Robertson's God is the vengeful, smiting type.

Heck, as a 5 year old growing up in another country I remember Pat Robertson and the 700 club on the TV. How's that for reach? Sesame Street, Batman, and Pat Robertson those were some of my earliest tastes of American culture (without realizing it was American culture).

Unless Pat Robertson has a body of work as a football commentator that I'm not aware of, Pat is making a connection between a prominent Christian athlete being traded and the team that did this suffering bad consequences. Did Pat make similar comments when we acquired Jammal Brown?

Unless Pat Robertson has a body of work as a football commentator that I'm not aware of, Pat is making a connection between a prominent Christian athlete being traded and the team that did this suffering bad consequences. Did Pat make similar comments when we acquired Jammal Brown?

OK, he didn't make a connection. He didn't say something bad would happen to them. He didn't even say something bad should happen to them. He said "In my opinion," it would serve them right. (IF something happens they are left with no QB.) A reasonable person's analysis would simply extrapolate that he did not personally care for the way the Broncos treated Tebow and it would be a sort of vindication of his opinion IF the Broncos were to be in a bad position because of their decision. All this other hype is sheer garbage.

All this other hype is sheer garbage.

Pat has quite the history of garbage. I guess it's hype that people are sick of this hateful old **** spewing his 'opinions' to millions of people.. while pretending to be the messenger of something that would severely disagree with most of his positions.

~Bang

OK, he didn't make a connection. He didn't say something bad would happen to them. He didn't even say something bad should happen to them. He said "In my opinion," it would serve them right. (IF something happens they are left with no QB.) A reasonable person's analysis would simply extrapolate that he did not personally care for the way the Broncos treated Tebow and it would be a sort of vindication of his opinion IF the Broncos were to be in a bad position because of their decision. All this other hype is sheer garbage.

And if Pat were being interviewed on ESPN or the NFL Network I would see his comments as being much more neutral, but he was on his 700 Club a program where he regularly explores the theological implications of any number of different world events, so for him to be commenting in that context one naturally assumes a theological implication unless otherwise noted that none was implied. Look, I'm a pastor and I understand that when I'm speaking publicly my words will be assumed be as if coming from a pulpit unless the context (say casual conversation etc) shows that it is something other than a theological reflection.

What other football trades has Pat commented on?

None that I know of, so what? He commented on this one, and did not (for once) actually say ANYTHING stupid if one honestly examines it.

Pat has quite the history of garbage. I guess it's hype that people are sick of this hateful old **** spewing his 'opinions' to millions of people.. while pretending to be the messenger of something that would severely disagree with most of his positions.

I'm the first to admit he's said a bunch of really nutty stuff. In this case, he didn't. Overall, he probably should not be in circulation as a visible, leader-type figure...but he is. And the cause of this whole round of criticism is basically false/nonexistent. So, I'd be all for a movement to get him to step down or get out of broadcasting, but it irks me a little that this situation is what brought him any relevance again.

And if Pat were being interviewed on ESPN or the NFL Network I would see his comments as being much more neutral, but he was on his 700 Club a program where he regularly explores the theological implications of any number of different world events, so for him to be commenting in that context one naturally assumes a theological implication unless otherwise noted that none was implied

"In my opinion" pretty much says it all. What more do you want? He hasn't claimed diety that I know of, so his opinion, especially when specified, is simply his opinion.

Archived