Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2012 NFL Free Agency: Talk, Rumors, Signings

G.A.C.O.L.B.

So I want to start with Tampa Bay--who is giving out ridiculous amounts of cash.

Vincent Jackson: 5 years, $55.6 mil, $26 mil guaranteed

Carl Nicks: 5 years, $47.5 mil, $31 mil guaranteed

Eric Wright: 5 year, $37.5 mil, $15.5 guaranteed

Link from ESPN: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7684603/tampa-bay-buccaneers-add-carl-nicks-eric-wright-signing-vincent-jackson

I bet current Skins coach Raheem Morris is bitter that they weren't spending that money when he was there. Be really interesting to see where else they go with this, if it pays off, and who they go with in the draft (#7 overall I believe)

Also, Bears dropped 1 year and $3.5 mil on our boy Jason Campbell. So congrats to him. Now he can finally be the backup he always has been--with no pressure.

(And sorry for hijacking any open player-specific FA threads)

TE John Carlson got 5 years, $25 mil, $11 mil guaranteed from the Vikings. Skins were rumored to be interested in him yesterday. Not at that price though. Especially since he didn't play last year.

Also, rumor is the teams in the running for Laron Landry include Jets, Eagles, Lions and Pats

https://twitter.com/#!/ProFootballTalk/status/179982713229545472

---------- Post added March-14th-2012 at 01:38 PM ----------

Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter

RT @DukeSiet: What about that brand(on) new Carr in Dallas? ... Expected to be the next deal out of Dallas.

I bet he gets PAID. If Eric mother****ing Wright got $37.5 mil, Carr is more highly regarded than him isn't he?

Cutler-Campbell = best-ever Bears’ QB depth chart?

Maybe there’s some sort of NFL circle closing with the Bears signing quarterback Jason Campbell to a one-year deal on Tuesday as Jay Cutler’s backup.

It was Campbell that the Washington Redskins offered to the Denver Broncos in early 2009 as part of a trade for Cutler. The Broncos decided they liked Kyle Orton better and chose to make their deal with the Bears.

Now Campbell and Cutler are Bears in perhaps the strongest quarterback depth chart ever, eclipsing Jim McMahon-Jim Harbaugh-Mike Tomczak in 1987-88 if for no other reason than both Campbell and Cutler are proven starters.

Campbell has 70 career starts, compared to 78 for Cutler. His career passer rating of 82.8 is only slightly below Cutler’s 84.5 and he has a career completion percentage of 60.8 percent; Cutler’s is 61.1 percent. Cutler has 117 career TD passes vs. Campbell’s 74.

There's only one reader comment so far: "Really????????? Jason Campbell???"

---------- Post added March-14th-2012 at 12:23 PM ----------

permanently?

Actually, from what I understood he wasn't even banned from ES...he was banned from the ATN forum for a bit (not permanent). But tr1 decided he'd prefer posting somewhere else (not sure where)...so I'm guessing he's still free to come back here sans any posting in the ATN at the moment, he just chooses not to.

But I could have that completely ass-backwards lol :ols:..

*Edit: Also, I was of the belief that the mods weren't really wanting the threads in the ATN to become discussions about tr1, so you might wanna PM a mod if you have any questions where I'm sure they'll point you in the direction of the post that talked about everthang...

Cowboys bringing in Dan Conner ILB (Carolina), Brodney Pool Safety (Jets). Have come to terms with OG Mackenzy Bernadeau. (Carolina) and Lawrence Vickers FB (Houston) and have come to terms with Kellen Davis TE (Chicago) in principle according to reports. It is also being reported that the Cowboys are trying to set up a visit with Grubbs but this, as yet, is unconfirmed.

Just saw on NFLN ticker Giants signed Martellus Bennet

Congrats! Brandon Jacobs without the touchdowns ;)

---------- Post added March-14th-2012 at 07:48 PM ----------

I'm happy for the guy. He went from the street to a big payday. Way too much money for us to spend on a third WR but he earned every cent. I hope he does well in Jax.

Agreed. Congrats to Robinson.

Congrats! Brandon Jacobs without the touchdowns ;)

---------- Post added March-14th-2012 at 07:48 PM ----------

I wasn't really happy about it, guy doesn't seem too smart. But who knows what will happen now that he has an elite QB throwing to him(burn).

I wasn't really happy about it, guy doesn't seem too smart. But who knows what will happen now that he has an elite QB throwing to him(burn).

Bennett can be solid. But every time he's had a chance to do something in Dallas, he's dropped the ball. Or ran the wrong route.

He's lazy, unmotivated and doesn't work hard enough to be elite.

He's amazing in the run blocking game however.

Bennett can be solid. But every time he's had a chance to do something in Dallas, he's dropped the ball. Or ran the wrong route.

He's lazy, unmotivated and doesn't work hard enough to be elite.

He's amazing in the run blocking game however.

Good to hear about the run blocking.

That's why I wasn't too happy about Bennett, I feel like I remember him putting stupid videos on the internet and having too many non football activities going on.

Maybe not big news to anyone outside the Giants, but David Carr will be back as the backup QB. I'm happy about that.

Brandon Meriwether visiting with the Jets tonight after He visits with the Skins today.

What happened to that guy? Injury? 1st round pick, couple of PRO Bowls and then next thing I know, the Pats are releasing him. We all know how much they've struggled with their secondary for like a freaking decade now. Must have been serious if they're letting go a guy with his credentials.

Forgot to get to this yesterday:

Former Bengals DE Frostee Rucker signs 5 years, $21 mil, $8 mil guaranteed with Cleveland. One of the great names in sports. And lot of $$$ for someone I only know because of said name. Guess he's must be a pretty decent player too?

---------- Post added March-15th-2012 at 10:25 AM ----------

Dan Orlovsky 2 year deal with the Bucs. Exact terms not available yet.

Also, Jets rumored to be hot for Drew Stanton

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/15/jets-going-really-hard-after-drew-stanton/

Big day for ex-Lions stars

---------- Post added March-15th-2012 at 10:31 AM ----------

Ben Grubbs (G) signs with New Orleans: 5 years, $36 mil, $16 mil guarnateed

Skins rumored to be interested so that sucks.

Man, I really liked Robinson.

He was great for the Boys last year and would've loved him in B&G. Too bad he doesn't have a QB to pass the ball to him.

---------- Post added March-15th-2012 at 10:38 AM ----------

Brandon Meriwether visiting with the Jets tonight after He visits with the Skins today.

What happened to that guy? Injury? 1st round pick, couple of PRO Bowls and then next thing I know, the Pats are releasing him. We all know how much they've struggled with their secondary for like a freaking decade now. Must have been serious if they're letting go a guy with his credentials.

Doesn't Merriweather have a reputation for being a cheap-shot artist?

I seem to remember him being a perpetrator of multiple helmet-to-helmet hits a couple of seasons back when concussions became a hot button issue in the NFL.

Archived