Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Voting for the "Greatest Team of All Time" (Redskins teams from '82, '83, '87, and '91 included in brackets)

Commander PK

The '91 Bills were 2nd in scoring (to us) and but for 2 late, garbage scores, got waxed by our O. Our D that year was #2 in pts allowed so you'd have the #1 O and #2 D v. the #1 D and #14 O in 00' Bal'more. Bal'more would have been shutout and we would have managed a TD and 3 FGs -- Washington 16, Baltimore 0.

This bracket is bogus. The masses are simply ignorant about some of these teams, there can be no other explanation for some of these results.

I take issue with the following:

2007 Giants over 1982 Redskins:

The strike-shortened year might take something away from the 1982 Redskins, but they also had to win an extra playoff game thanks to the 16 team playoff that year. They were easily the best team in '82, and would go on to win another NFC title the following season. The 2007 Giants did not even win their division.

2000 Ravens over 1972 Dolphins:

Really? The '72 Dolphins were the only undefeated team in league history. They also won the Super Bowl again the following season. No matter how great the Ravens defense was in 2000, Dilfer was still their quarterback. The Ravens failed to score a touchdown in many of their games in 2000. There should be no contest here. You could make a strong case that the 1972 Dolphins are the best team of the Super Bowl era. You cannot make such an argument for the Ravens.

2000 Ravens over 1991 Redskins:

This is almost as bad as the previous result. The 1991 Redskins were #1 in the NFL on offense and #3 in the NFL on defense. No other team in history can boast of such a feat. The Ravens were #1 in defense too, but they were one of the worst offenses in the NFL. No way the 2000 Ravens beat the 1991 Redskins.

Maybe the results would have been better if NFL.com had included a better synopsis of each team in the brackets. Just basic stuff like league rankings on offense and defense and overall record would have been enough for people to see the obvious blunder of some of their picks, I would think.

Or maybe people are just being homers, or have short memories, or have no interest in being objective.

You pretty much nailed it Socrates. I honestly thought that many NFL fans would try to be objective about most of this, but some of the results are really absurd...and that's not just with regards to the Redskins. The whole thing has become a joke.

You are 36 years old and thought that? Man, I'd love to live in your bubble! :)

NFL fans are idiots. Myself included. :(

There does not appear to be a limit on the number of times you can vote. You could just hit the refresh button and keep voting over and over if you wanted to.

Baltimore fans are obviously gaming the polls. They beat the '72 Dolphins and now have a huge lead over the '91 Redskins. The Ravens fans must be at their computers voting all day trying to get "recognition," the truth notwithstanding.

Baltimore fans always struck me as being a tad insecure. Maybe it is because the Colts left them.

http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/topic/46006-vote-for-the-2000-ravens/

One thing about the 1972 Dolphins, they were a great team no doubt as they went on to win the following year over the Vikings in SB 8. But I don't think they were the greatest team ever in the SB era. Their SOS was something like .425 for their opponents. That was a different era as far as stats go, but stat wise for that era, they weren't that impressive. They rode their 3 headed RB offense, combined it with some explosive plays by Warfield here and there and the No Name Defense. Their defense, much like the Ravens won alot of games for them, including SB 7. Sonny would have lit their asses up with his quick release.

I'm surprised that '91 made it that far. They're not a team that tends to be in people's consciousness when it comes to remembering great teams. They should be, but they're not.

People remember that '00 Ravens team, I mean, Ray Lewis is still playing as a constant reminder. They were a great champion, IMO, just not a memorable one. There was no great storyline, great big name player, etc.

Right now the Ravens have a 67% edge in voting. I've been refreshing my browser and voting for the past 30 - 45 mins but it hasn't moved the needle one bit. Seems like we would need a huge voting push in the next 24 hrs to win this match up. =/

The fact that the 2000 ravens beat the dolphins shows that the people voting in that have their heads up their rears. Honestly a Trent Dilfer qb'd team with Stokley as their top receiving option beat out the undefeated dolphins? Much less be ahead of the skins?

don't get your hopes up. it's a simple popularity contest. the fact that the '91 redskins were one of the top 3 most dominant teams of all time will not matter - they'll be lucky to make it through round 2. heck they are barely beating the thoroughly ordinary 1970 colts right now. the last 20 years of embarassment and failure is even tainting our legacy at this point.

Who are the other two teams? 89 49'ers and 85 Bears? Or the 78-79 (pick one) Steelers?

Still, the skins advanced and now face the 2000 Baltimore Ravens. It's kinda a popularity contest, but some people are comparing stats. The Skins faced a HARD schedule in 1991, people forget that.

I think the %'s are who people think will win? Actually maybe not. The 2000 Ravens defense WAS really good. Arguably the best ever. I could see them beating a lot of the teams left on the list, much less anyone else who was in prior. But The 91 Skins were so damn dominant, it wouldn't be easy. And the Ravens offense back then was really pitiful honestly.

It looks like the 78 and 79 Steelers may BOTH be out here soon, to the 76 Raiders and 99 Rams. I still think the finals is the 89 San Fran 49'ers and 85 Bears. Would of been nice to see Skins make the final 4 at least.

Archived