Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Voting for the "Greatest Team of All Time" (Redskins teams from '82, '83, '87, and '91 included in brackets)

Commander PK

Yea, right now the Ravens are kickin' our butts and I don't see us pulling the come back unless everyone on ES goes there a couple or more times a day and votes. The Ravens were an amazing team in 2000 for their part. I think we just got screwed because we are in Shula's bracket.

The 00 Ravens would hurt the 72 Fins, who as a poster above noted, had a weak strength of schedule. They put up a whopping 14 pts against us. Now, we had a pretty good D too, but I can't see Miami winning that. BTW, if you measure O and D in terms of points, since the game is decided by points after all, the Ravens were 14th in points -- which is average. While they did go 4 games (3 in a row) w/o a TD, they also scored 24 or more points 8 times -- 1/2 the season, with 4 (1/4) above 30. They weren't that bad.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rav/2000.htm (Ravens)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/1991.htm (Skins)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/mia/1972.htm (Miami)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/1972.htm (Skins)

Well considering the 2000 Redskins beat Baltimore that year ;)

I'd say 91 Skins would win too.

If I remember correctly, we had a goal line stand or red-zone interception to end the first half and the announcers were saying Baltimore has gone ___ quarters without scoring an offensive TD.

Who are the other two teams? 89 49'ers and 85 Bears? Or the 78-79 (pick one) Steelers?

Still, the skins advanced and now face the 2000 Baltimore Ravens. It's kinda a popularity contest, but some people are comparing stats. The Skins faced a HARD schedule in 1991, people forget that.

i think the '85 bears are one for sure. if you compare stats, i think the '91 redskins were in fact more dominant than the '85 bears (although it's close). outside of DC, though, the '85 bears probably get mentioned a lot more in such conversations because they were simply FAR more flashy off the field, and unfortunately flash gets you remembered and talked about.

not sure who else i'd pick. i'm not much of an NFL historian.

I am one of the biggest Skins fans, but I watched that 00 Ravens team closely. As bad as the offense was, no one could score on them. They set a new mark for fewest points allowed in a season and on top of that, you can add in all the points scored against them in the playoffs (all good teams) and they still were under the previous low mark for points against. That defense was IMHO (and in points allowed) the best ever by far. When playing their best, and they were throughout the playoffs, they would beat any team, since all they needed was about 11 points and they were going to win the game.

I am one of the biggest Skins fans, but I watched that 00 Ravens team closely. As bad as the offense was, no one could score on them. They set a new mark for fewest points allowed in a season and on top of that, you can add in all the points scored against them in the playoffs (all good teams) and they still were under the previous low mark for points against. That defense was IMHO (and in points allowed) the best ever by far. When playing their best, and they were throughout the playoffs, they would beat any team, since all they needed was about 11 points and they were going to win the game.

Yeah, but with all that said they were still really only half a team. A great defense, which totally carried the team...and a sub-par offense that did just enough to not lose a game for the defense. They didn't even win their division, so how dominant were they really? Until Dilfer came in they couldn't even score at all. I don't mean to sell them short, but it is what it is. The 1991 Redskins were the total package. I don't get how this is even close.

1991 team gave up only "nine" count them 9 sacks. They would have never touched Rypien and which member of the Posse would Reed cover over the top? Go ahead and cover Clark, but Monk or Sanders is open. Go ahead and cover Monk, but Clark and Sanders is open. Lachey, McKenzie, et al, Ray-Ray and company would never have touched Rypien.

1991 team gave up only "nine" count them 9 sacks. They would have never touched Rypien and which member of the Posse would Reed cover over the top? Go ahead and cover Clark, but Monk or Sanders is open. Go ahead and cover Monk, but Clark and Sanders is open. Lachey, McKenzie, et al, Ray-Ray and company would never have touched Rypien.

Ed Reed wasn't even on that Ravens team. They had a great defense but the 91 Redskins would've smoked them. Hell, the 2000 Redskins beat them.

Good article. He mentions that the 1989 Niners lost 2 games by a combined total of 5 points. So did we. 24-21 to Dallass and 24-22 to Philly with our scrubs.

---------- Post added March-22nd-2012 at 04:08 PM ----------

Ed Reed wasn't even on that Ravens team. They had a great defense but the 91 Redskins would've smoked them. Hell, the 2000 Redskins beat them.

Good catch, I got caught up in the 2000 Ravens defense hype.

BR is hit or miss, but I like this article.

Given the timing and the content, I imagine this could have begun as a response to the preposterous "greatest team of all-time" voting we have seen on NFL.com. The writer talks a lot about the two most obvious snubs: the 1991 Redskins and the 1972 Dolphins. Also, the 2000 Ravens do not even make his top 6, which is the team that beat those two in the voting.

The article is cogently argued, with a fair amount of analysis, and of course I tend to agree with the result. :)

The people voting have no idea what constitutes a great TEAM. The best QB the Ravens played that year was Mark Brunell, their offense was putrid, and they aren't even the greatest defense of all time. The 91' Skins were a truly dominant team in all three phases. The 00' just have a lot of name recognition and people don't realize that the 91' Skins and most of the high powered offenses today would destroy them.

BR is hit or miss, but I like this article.

Given the timing and the content, I imagine this could have begun as a response to the preposterous "greatest team of all-time" voting we have seen on NFL.com. The writer talks a lot about the two most obvious snubs: the 1991 Redskins and the 1972 Dolphins. Also, the 2000 Ravens do not even make his top 6, which is the team that beat those two in the voting.

The article is cogently argued, with a fair amount of analysis, and of course I tend to agree with the result. :)

Nah, I would actually take the 2000 Ravens over the 72 Dolphins. The 1972 Dolphins had a ridiculously easy schedule, and by their own accounts, their 73 team was better. Winning all your games is great, but Winning every game by a field goal is less dominant than a team beating everyone by three touchdowns, and losing one game by a field goal.

I was just about to link that bleacher report article myself, but no need. Still, the 1991 Redskins are always ranked high and should be. The team had one of the hardest schedules in the modern NFL era, and still destroyed people. In fact, is it possible that the 1991 Redskins had the HARDEST schedule of any Superbowl winning team? It must be top three....has to be. Played defending Superbowl champs twice, played the deadly 10 win Eagles twice, played the would by dynasty of the 90's Cowboys twice, and two other playoff teams in the Lions and Falcons. The article was also spot on how terrible the 85 Bears passing game was and how the Redskins took them out in 86 and 87. The one team who I suppose I would most fear would be that 1989 49'ers team. The 78 Steelers team would also of been an interesting matchup.

Update: The finals is now the 76 Raiders and the 2000 Baltimore Ravens

76 Raiders were good, but should not have beaten the 85 Bears or 78/79 Steelers IMO, but idk maybe the Steelers,

The 2000 Ravens belong nowhere near the finals over the 91 Skins or the 84 OR 89 49'ers. Who was the best QB the Ravens beat that season? Mark Brunell?

What a joke. They didn't even win their damn division. They didn't even HAVE the best defense that year - the bloody TITANS did. LOL

Update: The finals is now the 76 Raiders and the 2000 Baltimore Ravens

76 Raiders were good, but should not have beaten the 85 Bears or 78/79 Steelers IMO, but idk maybe the Steelers,

The 2000 Ravens belong nowhere near the finals over the 91 Skins or the 84 OR 89 49'ers. Who was the best QB the Ravens beat that season? Mark Brunell?

What a joke. They didn't even win their damn division. They didn't even HAVE the best defense that year - the bloody TITANS did. LOL

Ha no way the Titans had a better defense that year. That is a joke. I don't care what the numbers say, but even if you include numbers, didn't the Ravens give up the fewest amount of points ever in a season? Then 23 combined during FOUR playoff games? During the last half of the season, no one could score on the Ravens, no one. The Tiants crapped the bed in their own house in the playoffs while the Raven's defense DESTROYED them and the Titans defense didn't do a damn thing to help out. The Raven's defense is so sick the way they all played together and had some of the best chemistry on a defense in years. Having said that, I think they barely crack the top 10 of Super Bowl Champions.

Ha no way the Titans had a better defense that year. That is a joke. I don't care what the numbers say,

The numbers do indeed say they let up less yards than the Ravens that year. And Ravens still didn't win the division. Can't consider a team that couldn't wrap up their own division, as the most dominant ever.

Titans should of beaten them in the playoffs that same season I thought too. Special teams. So yeah, I will suggest that the Ravens D was good that year, but the Titans was possibly better, because those 4 combined playoff game scored, hypothetically should not of even happened. Titans D was again better in the playoffs than the Ravens, letting up less yards.

You know, NFL, kudos to you for having us COMPETE to tell you how successfully you are marketing towards what demographics.

Congrats on your target market being a 19-year-old drunk dumbass.

haha, classic.

76 Raiders and 2000 Ravens Final although interesting to watch, is definitely not the best SB match up ever. I would think everyone apart from Oakland and Bmore residents would agree

The numbers do indeed say they let up less yards than the Ravens that year. And Ravens still didn't win the division. Can't consider a team that couldn't wrap up their own division, as the most dominant ever.

Titans should of beaten them in the playoffs that same season I thought too. Special teams. So yeah, I will suggest that the Ravens D was good that year, but the Titans was possibly better, because those 4 combined playoff game scored, hypothetically should not of even happened. Titans D was again better in the playoffs than the Ravens, letting up less yards.

Hypothetical means very little, the Tians would have won it all if but they had to face Raven's defense that made amazing plays that game. Remember Ray Lewis just taking the ball from Eddie George and returning it for 6? Dominant. All the turnovers they forced in the playoffs? No one stood a chance against them in the playoffs that year, at all. That is an epically impressive defense. No other way to put it.

Hypothetical means very little, the Tians would have won it all if but they had to face Raven's defense that made amazing plays that game. Remember Ray Lewis just taking the ball from Eddie George and returning it for 6? Dominant. All the turnovers they forced in the playoffs? No one stood a chance against them in the playoffs that year, at all. That is an epically impressive defense. No other way to put it.

1991 Redskins still would've beaten their asses.

here's some numbers

1991 Redskins #1 in points, #1 in turnover differential, #1 in points differential, #1 in yards differential, #2 in points given up, +16.3 average margin of victory, never held to single digits, post season margin of victory 21, 14-2 turnover ratio in playoffs

2000 Ravens #14 in points, #1 in turnover differential, #2 in points differential, #4 in yards differential, #1 in points given up, +10.5 average margin of victory, held to single digits 4 times, post season margin of victory 18, 12-2 turnover ratio in playoffs

The biggest was the Redskins 16.3 Margin of victory. 2nd best was 9.6 49ers meaning that the Redskins were 7 points per game better than the 2nd best team in the league. Baltimore's 10.5 was 2nd with several teams close. Even in the playoffs the Redskins 21 MOV is better than the Ravens 18 and the Redskins even let Buffalo score 14 garbage points in the SB.

So out of all of those stats the Ravens are 1 spot better in 1 single stat, defensive points, and that's it while also playing a much weaker schedule. And they faced a scrub Giants team in the SB as well, lol.

Archived