Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How does RG3 compare to other QB prospects coming out of college over the past 10 years?

SmallDaddy

I'm sure this has been discussed in multiple threads but could not find a good comparative listing. Luck has been called the best prospect since Peyton Manning. Where does RG3 fall on that list? My question is not so much what they did in the NFL, but more hypothetical if all the QBs of the past 10 years were in this years draft - how would they be rated?

This thread is going to get closed. If you ask me, Griffin is the second or third best QB prospect of the last 10 yrs, with number 1 being Luck.

Agreed. The only one I can say might be ahead of him is Bradford and honestly I don't see it because he does not have the athletic ability of RGIII.

This is my opinon but I think Luck and Griffin are the best 2 QB prospects since Manning. Both have the total package imo. RG3 has great accuracy and arm strength. Very smart, leader, and great character. O yeah he also happens to be a freak athlete whose a pocket passer. U can't really say that about many QBs. Kid is special and the price we paid will be well worth it.

Agreed. The only one I can say might be ahead of him is Bradford and honestly I don't see it because he does not have the athletic ability of RGIII.

I never liked Bradford. I thought Stafford was one of the best prospects I'd seen and that's the only guy over the last 10 yrs that I'd put over Griffin.

For starters I don't think this thread should be closed bc its not a "react to the trade" thread. As far as the experts opinions on the qb prospects just look at the top qbs taken in each draft. All of these qbs were supposed to be franchise qbs. Russell, harrington, Carr, leinart, young, Quinn, clausen =bust, Stafford, manning, bradford, Rogers, rivers=hit. All depends on the situation the qb is put it. Don't put all your trust in hype. Just my two cents

Yea, Luck is the best prospect since (Peyton) Manning. RGIII is probably around 10th or so over the last 10 years in terms of his NFL readiness and potential. He didnt play in a pro system (or a particularly sophisticated college one), he DID play in a conference that doesnt play much defense, he was the 3rd best passer in that conference behind Weeden and Landry Jones. He wasn't required to make any intermediate throws, everything was either bombs to stretch the defense or short passes and screens (im not saying he can't, im saying its a question mark that other guys didnt have). He is incredibly exciting, but exciting isn't necessarily the best asset for a NFL QB.

IMO He's 3 or 4. I think Mel Kiper spoke on his rankings as well and had him in that range.

My Order

1. Andrew Luck

2. Matt Ryan

3. Eli Manning (I think pedigree helped his grade in the draft)

4. Robert Griffin iii

It also depends on what you seek in a QB. Check out this video. At about 2:45 Bill Polian discussed Luck vs RG3, and indirectly said RG3 should the #1 QB on our draft board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW_mQ3qWsl4

Have to go back and take a look at Rodgers' scouting report. At one point, it was projected he could go first overall (I believe). He was very highly rated coming out of Cal.

No. That year, the QBs class were rated as crap. 49ers had top pick and needed a QB. Decision came down to Smith or Rogers. Thats why he could have gone 1st overall. No other team needed or felt QB class was good, and thus, Rogers, 2nd QB taken, drop so far down.

Here are the #1 and #2 picks since Peyton Manning (let me know if I missed any):

Andrew Luck, RG3

Cam Newton

Sam Bradford

Matthew Stafford

JaMarcus Russell

Alex Smith

Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers

Carson Palmer

David Carr

Michael Vick

Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb

Peyton Manning, Ryan Leaf

In terms of expectations coming out of college, I'd put RG3 behind Andrew Luck, Eli Manning, and Peyton Manning.

On a side note, this guy will not be a bust. If three other teams tried to move up for this guy, that should tell you something. The busts were Russell, Carr, Couch, and Leaf.

For two of those busts, here's what happened:

Russell - lazy and never as good as people acted like

Couch - was on a terrible team (http://theburningriver.wordpress.com/2006/08/15/why-tim-couch-didnt-suck/)

I'll post this, and you can filter by position, so it's easy to see all the QBs that have been drafted for pretty much ever:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft

Anyways, top QB drafted since P. Manning has been:

2011: Cam Newton; 2010: Sam Bradford; 2009: Matt Stafford; 2008: Matt Ryan; 2007: JaMarcus Russell; 2006: Vince Young; 2005: Alex Smith; 2004: Eli Manning; 2003: Carson Palmer; 2002: David Carr; 2001: Michael Vick; 2000: Chad Pennington; 1999: Tim Couch

And for the sake of fairness, since sometimes the best QB wasn't taken first, let's throw the names McNabb, Brees, Brady, Rivers, Big Ben, Rodgers, and Cutler in the mix.

I'd argue that RGIII is easily a better prospect than Russell, Young, Smith, Carr, Pennington, and Couch. For the rest, I don't really see anyone who wildly outclasses him honestly, it's a matter of potential vs. reality. RGIII has as much potential as anyone I think. Someone posted a side-by-side of RGIII's senior year vs. Peyton's. RGIII beat him by quite a bit. Now, this isn't to say he's going to be better than Peyton, by that logic Case Keenum would be #1 overall, but he clearly has incredible potential and talent on par or close to anyone who's come out since Manning.

Edit: robotfire beat me to it. I took too long to post, lol.

No. That year, the QBs class were rated as crap. 49ers had top pick and needed a QB. Decision came down to Smith or Rogers. Thats why he could have gone 1st overall. No other team needed or felt QB class was good, and thus, Rogers, 2nd QB taken, drop so far down.
I think that's some revisionist history. People were shocked over and over again that teams were passing on Rodgers. When he was finally picked, commentators immediately compared it to Marino's epic drop down the draft board.

Also, Alex Smith was supposed to be incredible. Who knows? Maybe he was amazing all along, and we just didn't know it until last year when he finally had a coach.

Im not going to do this, because im lazy, but i think a really good way to do this in an unbiased fashion would be to check out the ratings for QB's their first year in Madden. Im not a gamer, nor to i buy the BS about Madden simulations picking winners. But that rating system is entirely subjective and the first year any player is in it, their rating is entirely based on hype AND would take the hindsight that everyone is using out of the equation.

And i remember the first year Vick was in it, he was unstoppable to the point that playing as the Falcons was considered unfair.

Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell Reply Retweeted Favorite · Open

I'm big believer in coaching. All rookie QBs need work re: mechanics, understanding offense + defense. How they're manipulated critical.

Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

RGIII excellent fit for Shanahan. Play action + boot action pass game,downfield shot plays. Many forget throws Cutler made in that offense.

I think that's some revisionist history. People were shocked over and over again that teams were passing on Rodgers. When he was finally picked, commentators immediately compared it to Marino's epic drop down the draft board.

Also, Alex Smith was supposed to be incredible. Who knows? Maybe he was amazing all along, and we just didn't know it until last year when he finally had a coach.

This is correct. Rodgers was the guy that the camera was on after every pick that WASNT him. Like Brady Quinn and Matt Leinhart when they slid.

Also right on Alex Smith. Another pocket passer that had great wheels when he needed to scramble. The ? about him was running Urban Meyer's system (which was not a running system until he had Tebow at UF).

Im not going to do this, because im lazy, but i think a really good way to do this in an unbiased fashion would be to check out the ratings for QB's their first year in Madden. Im not a gamer, nor to i buy the BS about Madden simulations picking winners. But that rating system is entirely subjective and the first year any player is in it, their rating is entirely based on hype AND would take the hindsight that everyone is using out of the equation.

And i remember the first year Vick was in it, he was unstoppable to the point that playing as the Falcons was considered unfair.

Going by that RG3 may be the best rookie in the history of Madden according to this: http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/videogames/blog/_/name/thegamer/id/7621393

IMO He's 3 or 4. ...

...It also depends on what you seek in a QB. Check out this video. At about 2:45 Bill Polian discussed Luck vs RG3, and indirectly said RG3 should the #1 QB on our draft board.

Will the Colts PLEASE just come out and say for sure they will take Luck! My joy of getting the #2 pick is slowly turning to anxiety to whether we get Luck or RGIII, but rationally thinking we should be ok either way

My List:

1. Luck

2. Bradford

3. Newton / RGIII

I wasn't as interested in the drafts when Stafford, Eli, and Matt Ryan were coming through, so my list is probably not the most knowledge based, but with the recent hyper-polarization of the sports media these 4 QBs in my list were all seen as the best thing since sliced bread right up until draft day

Another thought... since it was sort of alluded to earlier in this thread.

So RGIII is a great fit for Shanny's system and obviously that's why we made the trade we made, but what is Chuck Pagano's system going to look like? He's coming from the Ravens as a DC. Obviously comparing Flacco and Luck is stupid. Will he want a Luck or an RGIII?

Does it even matter? Is Irsay the only one here who will really have a say or will Ryan Grigson GM, Former Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, and Pagano get some input....

Not really sure if anyone on ES will be able to answer these questions, but thought I would give it a shot.

This is all I now about Arians :

"59, had been the only offensive coordinator in coach Mike Tomlin's five seasons with the Steelers. During his time as coordinator, he turned the Steelers from a run-first team to a pass-heavy one to better suit Roethlisberger." - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7513729/source-bruce-arians-indianapolis-colts-new-offensive-coordinator

Does that bode well for Luck or RGIII? I would say Luck is going to flourish more in a pass heavy system, where as RGIII would be better suited for Shanny's run first and also stretch the Def methods.

(maybe this should be its own thread....sorry, but just kind of got in to a little brain storming)

Yea, Luck is the best prospect since (Peyton) Manning. RGIII is probably around 10th or so over the last 10 years in terms of his NFL readiness and potential. He didnt play in a pro system (or a particularly sophisticated college one), he DID play in a conference that doesnt play much defense, he was the 3rd best passer in that conference behind Weeden and Landry Jones. He wasn't required to make any intermediate throws, everything was either bombs to stretch the defense or short passes and screens (im not saying he can't, im saying its a question mark that other guys didnt have). He is incredibly exciting, but exciting isn't necessarily the best asset for a NFL QB.

i cant imagine that these points werent considered by the 'experts' who all seems to drool over him, unless i missed some who think hes not very good??

A shotgun spread offense IS one of the most sophisticated systems and the QBs that come out of it are THE most pro-ready. The problem is that since they are the most ready, you don't really know if they'll get better. Further, in such a sophisticated system designed such that no matter what the defense does, it is very likely wrong, is the production a result of technique or skill?

Archived