Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How does RG3 compare to other QB prospects coming out of college over the past 10 years?

SmallDaddy

Yes. Footwork. Inexperience under center. Reading defenses. Tends to drop his shoulder on a lot of throws (mechanics). He's by no means perfect but he's a quick learner.

I'm talking out of my ass btw. Who knows? The kid can ball and I'm sure he'll get the right kind of coaching.

He also needs to work on his pocket awareness. He can get flustered at times and force a throw as well. Bottom line is he will be the best QB we have had under center since Theismann.

He's been the best prospect in the past 10 years in terms of

- Footwork

- Quality throws (hitting receivers in stride)

- Avoiding sacks

- Leadership (first Heisman ever for his college)

- Romantic maturity (already engaged)

- Passes to the flat

- Footwork--(That's one of his weaknesses, footwork in the pocket)

- Avoiding sacks

- Romantic maturity (already engaged)--(There have been plenty of engaged prospects.)

- Passes to the flat

RGIII's "weaknesses" would be considered other prospect's strengths. Ryan Tannhill would be a top-5 pick if he had Griffin's "weak" footwork. Come on!!

I've been loving your posts tonight, but some of them are a little too homerish. No need to go too overboard. We can be ecstatic about this move and still be realistic.

Tannehill actually has pretty advanced footwork in the pocket for a QB prospect. Its one of the things that pleasantly surprises you in the tape. You're wrong on this one.

Tannehill actually has pretty advanced footwork in the pocket for a QB prospect. Its one of the things that pleasantly surprises you in the tape. You're wrong on this one.

His footwork against the best team he played (Texas on Thanksgiving) was terrible. I watched every snap, and he's not a top NFL QB. Christian Ponder level, at best. And you want to mention him in the same breath as HEISMAN WINNER Robert Griffin? RGIII is a man among boys.

His footwork against the best team he played (Texas on Thanksgiving) was terrible. I watched every snap, and he's not a top NFL QB. Christian Ponder level, at best. And you want to mention him in the same breath as HEISMAN WINNER Robert Griffin? RGIII is a man among boys.

Stop it. Your posting was endearing before, now its getting in the way of rational discussion.

I LOVE RG3. I love the trade. That doesn't mean he's perfect. Tannehill has above-average footwork for the position, as a prospect who hasn't played much QB in college. That is a pleasant surprise. That's all I said. RG3 does not have great footwork. That's all. Its not a huge deal. Most spread QB's don't.

Tannehill was a TIGHT END before he became a QB last year with two all-star running backs - sound familiar? (Jason Campbell). RGIII has been a QB for three years and was rewarded with the Heisman that was the first his school has ever had. With a running game that came from his legs.

Look, Ryan Tannehill is a nice kid, but at best he can be Chad Henne. RGIII has no comparison -- he's going to change the game.

Tannehill was a TIGHT END before he became a QB last year with two all-star running backs - sound familiar? (Jason Campbell). RGIII has been a QB for three years and was rewarded with the Heisman that was the first his school has ever had. With a running game that came from his legs.

Look, Ryan Tannehill is a nice kid, but at best he can be Chad Henne. RGIII has no comparison -- he's going to change the game.

Stop comparing the two. You brought it up in the first place, not me.

And I posted specifically in the context of Tannehill's FOOTWORK, which YOU brought up. And its actually quite good for a QB prospect with less experience. That's all I said.

By the way, he was a WR, not a TE. Two all-star running backs? What the **** are you talking about? I'm starting to think that you know nothing about this.

I'm starting to think that you're a little thick, or just drunk off of excitement for RG3.

Tannehill had Cyrus Gray and Christine Michael, two workhorse running backs who racked up yards. One of them ran for 100+ yards EVERY GAME for the first 10 games of the Texas A&M season. Then both were done for the year with knee injuries. Then Tannehill has to play Texas on a cold Thanksgiving night at home -- and promptly chokes. Terrible game, because he can't operate without an elite RB. Seriously, watch it and tell me he's a first round talent.

Well guess what -- RGIII has been doing exactly that in the same conference. He's about 100 notches above Tannehill.

The Skins are destined for glory!!

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28956/robert-griffin-iii

Robert Griffin III

Quarterback

97 SCOUTS GRADE

Baylor School

Big 12 Conference

6'2⅜" Height

231 lbsWeight

32.2"Arm Length

9.4"Hand Size

2 Overall Rank

2 Positional Rank

2011 NCAA FOOTBALL STATS

Rating 189.48 Yards 4,293 TD 37

Scouts Inc. Player Evaluations

Overall Football Traits

Production 1 "2008: (12/11) 160 of 267 (59.9 pct.), 2,901 yards, 15 TD, 3 INT. 2009: (3/3) 45 of 69 (65.2), 481 yards, 4 TD, 0 INT. 2010: (13/13) 304 of 454 (67.0), 3,501 yards, 22 TD, 8 INT. 2011: (13/13) 291 of 402 (72.4), 4,293 yards, 37 TD, 6 INT. Career: 528 carries, 2,273 yards (4.3 avg.), 33 TD. "

Height-Weight-Speed 2 Height is below-average and could present some issues for him as a pocket passer in NFL. Bulk is adequate but he can continue to get bigger and stronger. Possesses elite top-end speed and agility for the position.

Durability 4 This is one of the biggest areas of concern with Griffin as a top-tier prospect. Suffered a season-ending torn ACL in his right knee during the third game of the 2009 season against Northwestern State. Missed the second half of the 2011 Texas Tech game with what appeared to be concussion-like symptoms.

Intangibles 1 "A well-rounded individual. Was raised in a military family. Excellent student. Graduated in December 2010 with a degree in political science and has aspirations of attending law school. Is mature and humble. Has great personal discipline. Also has a very good work ethic. Is mentally prepared to handle rigors of being a starting quarterback at the NFL level. Ultra-competitive. Can rub his teammates the wrong way at times, but the same can be said of most elite quarterbacks. Winner of the 2011 Heisman Trophy. Also was a member of the Baylor track team during his true freshman year (2008) and won the Big 12 400-meter hurdles on his way to being named an All-American."

1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal

Quarterback Specific Traits

Mental Makeup 2 "Baylor's Offense does not translate to the NFL game. Has a lot to learn about identifying coverages and hot reads. Had very simple reads, and there is very little tape of him checking from one side of the field to the other. Lack of ideal height leads to some problems seeing entire field at times. However, is an intelligent and disciplined individual. Has a great work ethic and is capable of digesting a new system quickly. His mobility also gives him more room for error in this department than many other quarterback prospects."

Accuracy 2 "Short accuracy is still a work in progress. Lacks ideal touch and needs to learn how to take some MPH off his fastball. Is oftena bit off-target on underneath throws, which lessens run-after-catch opportunities. Intermediate accuracy is above-average. Misses within the strike zone at times but shows the ability to anticipate passing windows and can fit the ball into tight spots. Deep accuracy is vastly improved from earlier in his career. Shows ability to drop the ball in between defenders. Anticipation on deep throws is above-average. Very good touch and continues to improve his trajectory awareness. Shows the ability to make accurate throws from many different release points"

Release/Arm Strength 2 Smooth delivery. Little bit longer than ideal but not a wind-up delivery. Very smooth and relaxed. Ball explodes off his hand. Arm strength is just a notch below NFL-elite. Can make all the throws and is capable of driving the ball down the field with ease. He shows the ability to get great velocity on throws even when forced to short-stride or when he isn't able to drive off back foot. Appears to have smaller-than-ideal hands and struggles at times to grip-and-rip on shorter throws. Does not show great control on pump fakes. Has some balls batted down at the line of scrimmage.

Pocket Mobility 1 "Rare athleticism and speed for the position. Will become one of the most dynamic dual-threat QBs in the NFL once he takes over as a starter. Is in the same class as Michael Vick in this department. Shows above-average pocket presence. Initial quickness is outstanding. Few college QBs buy more second-chance passing opportunities. Is comfortable rolling out and throwing to both sides. Foot quickness, elusiveness and burst as a runner are elite. "

1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal

---------- Post added March-11th-2012 at 12:27 AM ----------

Hopefully that doesn't look too cluttered

Tannehill had Cyrus Gray and Christine Michael, two workhorse running backs who racked up yards. One of them ran for 100+ yards EVERY GAME for the first 10 games of the Texas A&M season. Then both were done for the year with knee injuries. Then Tannehill has to play Texas on a cold Thanksgiving night at home -- and promptly chokes. Terrible game, because he can't operate without an elite RB. Seriously, watch it and tell me he's a first round talent.

Well guess what -- RGIII has been doing exactly that in the same conference. He's about 100 notches above Tannehill.

The Skins are destined for glory!!

You are seriously starting to annoy the **** out of me. Read what I'm actually posting. Use the damn quote function, so you're forced to read what I write when I respond.

I'm not comparing Tannehill to RG3.

I'm not saying Tannehill will be a pro bowl QB.

All I said was that Tannehill has above-average footwork for a QB prospect coming out of college. That's all. And you've blown it into this whole discussion, where you keep citing erroneous "facts" that I have to point out.

As for your "2 all-pro RB's like with Jason Campbell"....not even CLOSE to the same. Caddy Williams and Ronnie Brown were both top-5 draft picks in the same draft. Little different.

Again, just arguing some points you made. Not advocating for Tannehill vs. RG3.

Take a breath and read what I wrote before responding this time, please. You can do it.

As for your "2 all-pro RB's like with Jason Campbell"....not even CLOSE to the same. Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown were both top-5 draft picks in the same draft. Little different.

Again, just arguing some points you made. Not advocating for Tannehill vs. RG3.

Take a breath and read what I wrote before responding this time, please. You can do it.

You mean CADILLAC WILLIAMS and Ronnie Brown. If you're going to critique me with such a fine tooth comd, get the players right.

RGIII is a once-in-a-generation prospect. Sure, I'll grant you that Tannehill has good footwork. And what does that get you? Matt Cassell has good footwork, too.

It's simple. RGIII = Lombardis. Tannehill = mediocrity, at best.

I don't know why you're sticking up so hard for him. I want to like him, too, but he's just not ready for the NFL.

RGIII is ready to make the change. He'll connect with fans and deliver on the field.

How far can above average footwork take you? It's the NFL, everyone's footwork is good.

You know what wins? Touch on the deep ball, and movement in the pocket. And RGIII is already one of the best in the league at that.

He's a winner. Tannehill still needs to know what that feels like.

- Footwork

- Avoiding sacks

- Romantic maturity (already engaged)

- Passes to the flat

Romantic Maturity? Seriously?

Back on Planet Earth his footwork working under centre is not a strength, it's his big area of weakness for me. He has a ton of work to do on his 3/5/7 step drops working within a timing based rhythm passing attack. I'm confident he will put that work in and master that aspect of his game but he needs to as it will be critical to his success in a WCO based system.

You mean CADILLAC WILLIAMS and Ronnie Brown. If you're going to critique me with such a fine tooth comd, get the players right.

RGIII is a once-in-a-generation prospect. Sure, I'll grant you that Tannehill has good footwork. And what does that get you? Matt Cassell has good footwork, too.

It's simple. RGIII = Lombardis. Tannehill = mediocrity, at best.

I don't know why you're sticking up so hard for him. I want to like him, too, but he's just not ready for the NFL.

RGIII is ready to make the change. He'll connect with fans and deliver on the field.

How far can above average footwork take you? It's the NFL, everyone's footwork is good.

You know what wins? Touch on the deep ball, and movement in the pocket. And RGIII is already one of the best in the league at that.

He's a winner. Tannehill still needs to know what that feels like.

I'm seriously starting to wonder whether you can even read. Where have I advocated, anywhere, for Tannehill? I have specifically, many times, stated that I was only talking about his footwork...because you brought it up.

I have not "stuck up for him", other than to correct your errors, and to, again, focus on his footwork, which again, you brought up originally.

I'll re-cap: My entire point was based around his above-average footwork, which you've finally accepted, because....wait for it....YOU compared Tannehill's footwork, specifically, to RG3's.

That's the only reason we were ever talking about Tannehill, but you can't seem to grasp that, so you wildly post about anything and everything Tannehill vs. RG3. Which is completely off-topic and irrelevant. I prefer RG3 100x over Tannehill. RG3's footwork in the pocket just needs some work.

Oh, and my bad on Ricky vs. Caddy. Was just reading an article on Ricky's retirement, it must have stuck with me. :doh:

---------- Post added March-11th-2012 at 12:55 AM ----------

Back on Planet Earth his footwork working under centre is not a strength, it's his big area of weakness for me. He has a ton of work to do on his 3/5/7 step drops working within a timing based rhythm passing attack. I'm confident he will put that work in and master that aspect of his game but he needs to as it will be critical to his success in a WCO based system.

Seriously, I'd avoid this topic with him. Its taken me over a page of posts with this guy to get him to stick to that topic, and it still hasn't completely worked. Its embarrassing.

In my humble opinion, Griffin is that bootleg-passer that Shanahan envisioned McNabb would be when he made that trade in 2010. Only, Griffin is younger, faster, smarter, more accurate and, most importantly, has the competitive drive that was so surprisingly lacking in McNabb... and he's got it in spades.

So, yeah... he compares well in my mind. He's McNabb +10. He's Cutler +5. He not only fits the offense Shanahan made famous, but he has the potential to take it to another level. One that may surpass Elway's version of it. I'd compare him to Cutler/McNabb/Rodgers coming out of college more than any other QBs. And I think he compares very well. In my mind, the only questions are how fast he can grasp the offense completely (emphasis on "completely") along with how durable he will be.

In my humble opinion, Griffin is that bootleg-passer that Shanahan envisioned McNabb would be when he made that trade in 2010. Only, Griffin is younger, faster, smarter, more accurate and, most importantly, has the competitive drive that was so surprisingly lacking in McNabb... and he's got it in spades.

So, yeah... he compares well in my mind. He's McNabb +10. He's Cutler +5. He not only fits the offense Shanahan made famous, but he has the potential to take it to another level. One that may surpass Elway's version of it. I'd compare him to Cutler/McNabb/Rodgers coming out of college more than any other QBs. And I think he compares very well. In my mind, the only questions are how fast he can grasp the offense completely (emphasis on "completely") along with how durable he will be.

Comparisons to other QBs are difficult but he reminds me quite a bit of Steve Young when he came out of College. RGIII is more athletic than Young though.

Shanny turned Young from an scrambler who made all his plays out of the pocket into a great pocket passer who also used his mobility to extend plays and off boot actions to hit deep plays. Shanny will do the same with RGIIi - it's going to be fun to watch.

For me this throw right there says so much. With a guy in his face and sure to take a huge hit, he flings a 40 yard pass with zip and accuracy for a wining TD against a top 5 ranked team at the time. Are you kidding me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMm2qGMGV8Q&feature=relmfu

---------- Post added March-11th-2012 at 08:59 AM ----------

WCO based system? is that what we have? LOL. no dude we have don't have a WCO based system we have a play action, attack down field system which btw because we don't have the right WRs and horrible QBs has not worked well. Get VJ in here for example, put Hank on the other side with Moss in the slot and get RGIII to play action off Helu with Davis filtering out in space and tell me if his mediocre foot work matters.

RG3 is a top 5 QB prospect of the last 10 years. Only a handful of guys were consensus #1 overall picks pre-draft. Eli Manning, Matt Stafford, Sam Bradford, Cam Newton, and Andrew Luck. I might put RG3 3rd on that list behind Eli and Luck. Bradford, Stafford, and Newton all had more question marks than RG3 from what I remember.

Robert Griffin III out of Baylor University compares to NO other prospect coming out of college in the history of the NFL draft. Accuracy, poise, hard-work ethics, rocket-arm, intellegence, put up God-like numbers for a QB.

Oh and I almost forgot, he runs a 4.38

Try and find another QB prospect coming out of college like that. No one is even close. They either had one, a few, or most of those things. RG3 has it all.

Robert Griffin III out of Baylor University compares to NO other prospect coming out of college in the history of the NFL draft. Accuracy' date=' poise, hard-work ethics, rocket-arm, intellegence, put up God-like numbers for a QB.

Oh and I almost forgot, he runs a 4.38

Try and find another QB prospect coming out of college like that. No one is even close. They either had one, a few, or most of those things. RG3 has it all.[/quote']

I tend to agree. It's the reason many would actually choose him over Andrew Luck, supposedly the best prospect since Elway.

Are people forgetting Cutler? I think he was a better pure prospect than Stafford. Him playing for Vanderbilt was held against him a bit but he had a cannon arm AND he was highly mobile coming out. I think since Shanahan drafted him and he was considered VERY gifted as a passer and more accurate than Stafford, he has to go up there.

Cutler was not that accurate in college and was under 60% completion percentage. He had a lot of similarities to jake locker.

WCO based system? is that what we have? LOL. no dude we have don't have a WCO based system we have a play action, attack down field system which btw because we don't have the right WRs and horrible QBs has not worked well. Get VJ in here for example, put Hank on the other side with Moss in the slot and get RGIII to play action off Helu with Davis filtering out in space and tell me if his mediocre foot work matters.

Shannys system is based on the WCO. The play design, route combinations and footwork are right out of Bill Walsh's system. Mike was the OC at the 49ers under Sieffert running the same system Walsh had developed there. It is based off a timing based rythym passing game predicated on precise footwork and mainly 3 and 5 step drops.

Steve Young was Shannys QB and then Elway when he became HC at the Broncos. What Mike did to adjust his scheme from what Walsh did with Montana was two things mainly - he changed the read progressions from short/deep to deep/short and he took advantage of Young and Elways athletic ability to use the boot action of play action and moved his QBs more than Walsh had with Montana. He was also more run heavy as a play caller than Walsh to make the play action more effective.

But yes believe it or not our offensive system is based on the WCO. Not all WCO are the same.

Oye. How many of those teams did you actually watch a game?......I understand that everyone is excited about the new toy, but RGIII sure has become a much better player in the last 24 hours around here. :ols:

How many did you actually watch? Jones didn't throw a TD after his #1 receiver went down and he had a better team around him (OL and WR) than either of the other guys. Jones is a joke and shouldn't EVER play in the NFL. That guy has bust written all over him.

Archived