Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins may pursue free agents Vincent Jackson, Pierre Garcon and Marques Colston in the hunt for an impact WR

Oldskool

Based on Garcon rejecting a 5 year offer from the Colts, and reportedly setting his base annual salary at $8 MM, Garcon is a tier 2 WR looking to get p-a-i-d like a tier 1 WR.

Personallly, I think he's a tier 3 WR, but that's neither here nor there.

Garcon could also just want out of Indy and wants to see where Manning lands after the Colts release him sometime between now and March 8th.

Not me... i think we need 1 2nd teir WR (Royal) AND a 1st teir WR (VJax)... at that point we would actually have depth at the position. Plus we don't how Hanks hip will hold up by the start of the season...

Its not about a Tier 1 guy versus a Tier 2 guy. We need players that compliment each other. Hankerson and Gaffney seem like they're ideal at working the middle of the field. Royal can be the slot guy and Garcon could be the deep receiver. It can be a trio that actually works well together and a team with a top flight corner wouldn't be able to key in on one guy then.

The WR market might be perceived as deep, and I think it could be even further deflated by how deep this WR draft class is.

You have 20-25 guys, any of whom could conceivably develop into a #1 WR threat. There's going to be very good talent available in the 4th or 5th round this year.

Not a fan of Colston. Whether it was Lance Moore, Devery Henderson, Robert Meachem, Jimmy Graham, Jeremy Shockey, Darren Sproles, or Reggie Bush... there were so many options and targets and receiving the ball from Brees is a big boon. Granted, those players all ate each others stats a bit, but going to a place with a considerable step down at QB and becoming the primary option and I see his stats tumbling downward. Add his injury questionmarks and it makes me very uneasy.

I think Royal and Garcon would be fine additions. Hankerson/Paul can be the Colston type, move the chains. Davis and Cooley can also help in this role and in the redzone. Moss, Royal, and maybe even Robinson can work the slot. Garcon can add some big play and speed outside. Gaffney can back him up as a reliable vet.

I'd take Bowe, but I don't see him being available and I don't see any other guys that would be true #1 options for us. It could happen, but I'd rather improve the #2 and #3 positions and see how Paul/Hankerson look. Then focus next offseason on getting a #1 WR (after we solve QB this year).

there were so many options and targets and receiving the ball from Brees is a big boon...

I think Royal and Garcon would be fine additions.

Yet you are fine with Garcon, as if the pre 2011 Colts didn't have a myriad of options and targets and receiving the ball from Manning wasn't a big boon?

Whatever the cap space is, it is about $4 Mill. less after the Monty/Scott re-signings. If they franchise Davis, that is about $5 Mill. less. They will probably offer Lichtensteiger, Carriker, and Hightower decent offers. Figure about $5 Mill. or so for draft signings.

Could leave the Skins with $20-25 Mill. to upgrade at WR, DBs, and OL.

And based on the lastest tweet, considering Colston is looking for $7 MM per, Garcon is setting himself up as the more expensive option.

I'd take Colston right now for $7M per. I'm guessing that's probably low-end #1 WR money - sounds like it at least. The only question to me is 4 or 5 years on the contract. I'd put another big roster bonus out there after the 2nd year of the contract, as a convenient out if things go south.

Colston is a big body WR, so as he enters his 30s in this deal, it's not going to be as big a deal if he loses a step. I think we'd get our money's worth out of this deal.

The WR market might be perceived as deep, and I think it could be even further deflated by how deep this WR draft class is.

You have 20-25 guys, any of whom could conceivably develop into a #1 WR threat. There's going to be very good talent available in the 4th or 5th round this year.

I agree with this that is why I say lets get a Tier 1 receiver and draft one with one of our two 4th round picks. Also I still want to see what our young receivers from last year's draft can do with OTAs and with a full off season this year.

Yet you are fine with Garcon, as if the pre 2011 Colts didn't have a myriad of options and targets and receiving the ball from Manning wasn't a big boon?

Yes, I am. In large part because he had his best season this past year with Painter and Dan O at QB. And he's 25. And he doesn't have the injury history of Colston. Yes, I'm fine with that.

VJax and Manningham, please.

Would love our offense then, assuming we plugged in the right young QB...

I don't see Manningham as an upgrade considering Gafney posted better numbers, plus add to the fact that Moss posted similar numbers as Manningham and missed nearly half the season.

I disagree. Colston is as advertised. He catches everything, runs great routes and has the ability to go up in the end zone and come down with the ball.

I also want Colston, nothing better for a young QB to adapt then having two really good and reliable route runners. Gaffney + Colston would be a great starting tandem until Hankerson gets fully recovered from his injury (and I hope he does).

I don't see Manningham as an upgrade considering Gafney posted better numbers, plus add to the fact that Moss posted similar numbers as Manningham and missed nearly half the season.

I agree. I don't want Manningham, I'd rather develop from within. Niles Paul (cut to the backflip catch video) seems to have a knack for catching difficult passes, but is more athletically gifted than Manningham. He can also run block like a beast. I'd rather we try and develop Paul, then sign an overhyped 4th option from a division rival.

---------- Post added February-29th-2012 at 02:34 PM ----------

Jsteelz ‏ @Jsteelzextreme

u got colston who wants about 7 a year jackson round 10 a year wgo wud u sign, close to age, 1 knees, 1..1strike away,know mike loves VJ

Colston for 7 mil a year sounds pretty good.

I'd take Colston right now for $7M per. I'm guessing that's probably low-end #1 WR money - sounds like it at least. The only question to me is 4 or 5 years on the contract. I'd put another big roster bonus out there after the 2nd year of the contract, as a convenient out if things go south.

Colston is a big body WR, so as he enters his 30s in this deal, it's not going to be as big a deal if he loses a step. I think we'd get our money's worth out of this deal.

I think I would to.

I also think I would consider VJax at $10 MM per.

The deciding factor would be heavy personal due dilligence on VJ and heavy medical due dilligence on MC. Whichever risk seems more managable, that's the direction I would go.

Instead of signing Eddie Royal or another tier 2 guy, I'd probably look at the handful of strong slot guys in the draft. If you really want us to add an undersized, shifty Hokie WR next year, I'd probably rather draft Danny Coale than sign Eddie Royal.

I would love to get VJax or another tall true #1. I'm a little worried about cost, but that's only because I really want us to get Brandon Carr as well, and he's going to be very expensive. I'd also be all for a guy like Tyvon Branch to fill and solidify S, but I am perfectly fine with adding some big WRs.

Either we drastically buff our WR corp, or we drastically buff or secondary. I think there's more underrated talent in the FA WR market, which I think would be easier to elevate to a higher level, so I feel like we could do some less is more deals, but I certainly don't disagree with adding a 6'5" monster WR to the roster.

I'm a little worried about Garcon's cost though. He's good, but if he's asking for 7 mil a year (35 over 5), I'd rather pay Colston than him. Alternatively, I'd rather pay a Meachem or Royal half that.

I love the idea of Garcon. He's the youngest of the three, doesn't have the "WR1" tag so he could cost less and most importantly his abilities complement the rest of our WR corps the best. People are so hung up on finding a "number one receiver" but what does that really mean? The Calvin Johnsons of the world don't come around very often, but some of the best passing attacks in the league (Green Bay, New Orleans, NYG, New England) do it with a deep and diverse group of receivers that complement eachother well. I think the addition of Garcon to Davis, Gaffney, Hankerson and maybe Moss gives us just that. Colston's attributes are all be it better but at the same time similar to the receivers we already have and Jackson has been salivating over a big contract for two years so he won't come cheap. Go with Garcon, especially with the Messiah at QB.

God the Post sucks...

"Redskins may pursue wide receiver?". No ****ing ****. They might want Vincent Jackson or Marques Colston? Wow, it's not like we haven't been talking about ON THIS ****ING FORUM for the better part of three months.

If the Post isn't bashing us they're posting lazy as **** **** like this...

Archived