Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins may pursue free agents Vincent Jackson, Pierre Garcon and Marques Colston in the hunt for an impact WR

Oldskool

Yes, I am. In large part because he had his best season this past year with Painter and Dan O at QB. And he's 25. And he doesn't have the injury history of Colston. Yes, I'm fine with that.

Counting stats wise, sure, he posted career highs in yards and receptions (albeit the first season in his career he has ever played 16 games).

Beyond the counting stats, advanced stats aren't as kind to Garcon.

According to Football Outsiders, he ranked 81st (of 92 qualifying players) in DYAR and 78th in DVOA.

http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

Looking closer at his final stats, you will also see that he piled up 45% of his yards (421) and all of his six TDs in just three games, against the woeful Tampa and New England secondaries, and Kansas City.

Outside of those monster games, Garcon is a guy who averages 4 catches and 40 yards per game, and frequently struggles with drops. He's a one trick vertical receiver, who wants to be paid like an elite playmaker.

Outside of those monster games, Garcon is a guy who averages 4 catches and 40 yards per game, and frequently struggles with drops. He's a one trick vertical receiver, who wants to be paid like an elite playmaker.

I don't disagree, I just don't see a #1 WR worth investing large dollar into. I think Royal is a fine addition in that he his cheap, Shanahan knows him well, and he can take the spot of an Austin or Banks. Garcon I believe fits the part of an explosive #2 WR who is younger and has been more productive than Armstrong. Colston himself has only played in 16 games once in his career as well, but Garcon's absence was due to pecking order rather than injury. If they were the same price I'd rather gamble on Garcon ascending rather than a possession WR with injury concerns who is older.

Absolutely no to Garcon unless we're getting him to be the #3 WR. He looked above-average with Peyton Manning throwing him the ball and Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark drawing coverage - of course, even with that he dropped a critical pass in the Super Bowl. Bad hands, mediocre route runner - he's Rod Gardner basically.

Colston himself has only played in 16 games once in his career as well, but Garcon's absence was due to pecking order rather than injury.

The reason Garcon has never played a 16 game season is injuries - broken hand in 2009 and repeated hamstring injuries in 2010.

Garcon If they were the same price I'd rather gamble on Garcon ascending rather than a possession WR with injury concerns who is older.

Maybe - but Garcon has already rejected an offer for a $7 MM per year deal. Colston has set his asking price at $7 MM.

I just happen to think that finding a 6-0 deep threat with bad hands that runs a 4.45 just isn't that hard a player to find. To be honest, I don't see any meaningful difference between him and AA besides age.

Do we know the Saints won't franchise him?

They're having trouble coming to terms with Brees. They might have to use the tag on him.

---------- Post added February-29th-2012 at 03:30 PM ----------

I really don't understand Vincent Jackson over Dwayne Bowe. Am I dense or something?

Bowe's being franchised.

When are people going to realize you cant base your opinions of WR's on stats. All of these guys are good, and probably better than all of the other FA WR's, but part of the big reason everyone thinks they are Tier 1 WR is because of the QB they have throwing to them. Most of these big names free agent WR's every year have great QB's getting the ball to them. Colston has Brees, VJAX has Rivers, etc.

For example, look at Wes Welker. When he was at Miami, did anyone even want to sign him? Did he all of a sudden become a great WR and increase his skill set overnight? No, he had a qb who could actually hit him on the run and a system that will allow him to succeed. He is now a huge name WR and if he was a free agent, trust me, people would want to sign him. But why do teams and fans still think he would be just as good with their team when realistically, he wont be anywhere near that successful. The same goes to Randy Moss. Moss sucked in Oakland and then magically became faster and a great reciever again for the patriots?

I would want dwayne bowe if for whatever reason he isnt tagged because he doenst have a great offense of big name qb around him, and he consistantly makes plays for himself and would be even better if he got in a good system. Other than that, you have to realize these big name FA are never going to be better for the redskins than they are for their current team with a great offense and great QB.

Sorry for the rant, im just a little tired with people thinking these receivers will ever be great here and i want people to focus on those recievers who stand out on bad teams because if we ever get a good Qb, its those recievers who will become even better

I look at a WR corp like a basketball team - you need different types of players who compliment each other to have a good unit. You can have your PG - shifty slot guy running around, your SG - the deep threat, your SF - your go to guy, who can score inside and out, your PF - the TE you flex out, and a C - possession TE or WR.

What we are looking for is that SF. And going out and signing two or three SG does not simply mean you found someone to play SF. You don't solve your search for a SF by signing a bunch of 7th and 8th men off the bench guys who can sometimes catch lightning in a bottle one or two games a year - you solve it by either drafting a guy who projects to be your SF, or you sign a proven one from another team.

Don't expect a 3rd WR who is used to catching balls from a HOF to suddenly be a #1 guy, just as you don't sign the 8th man from the Lakers and expect him to score 25 ppg.

When are people going to realize you cant base your opinions of WR's on stats. All of these guys are good, and probably better than all of the other FA WR's, but part of the big reason everyone thinks they are Tier 1 WR is because of the QB they have throwing to them. Most of these big names free agent WR's every year have great QB's getting the ball to them. Colston has Brees, VJAX has Rivers, etc.

For example, look at Wes Welker. When he was at Miami, did anyone even want to sign him? Did he all of a sudden become a great WR and increase his skill set overnight? No, he had a qb who could actually hit him on the run and a system that will allow him to succeed. He is now a huge name WR and if he was a free agent, trust me, people would want to sign him. But why do teams and fans still think he would be just as good with their team when realistically, he wont be anywhere near that successful. The same goes to Randy Moss. Moss sucked in Oakland and then magically became faster and a great reciever again for the patriots?

I would want dwayne bowe if for whatever reason he isnt tagged because he doenst have a great offense of big name qb around him, and he consistantly makes plays for himself and would be even better if he got in a good system. Other than that, you have to realize these big name FA are never going to be better for the redskins than they are for their current team with a great offense and great QB.

Sorry for the rant, im just a little tired with people thinking these receivers will ever be great here and i want people to focus on those recievers who stand out on bad teams because if we ever get a good Qb, its those recievers who will become even better

This is a very valid point and one that the Skins FA has fallen victim to on a number of occasions in the past at a number of postions (albiet, but Vinny in charge). I would hope that the Skins would hedge their bets by investing a draft pick in a WR if we are able to, given what it might take to move up for RGIII.

Im thinking we will add Royal and Garcon. I think Vjaz is going to the Pats. A Miami blogger/reporter said something yesterday that if he doesn't go back the chargers he will prob end up in NE.

Incarcerated Bob ‏ @incarceratedbob

**UPDATED NFL NEWS**Source: Tampa Bay Buccaneers are preparing huge offers for (Wr's) Vincent Jackson & Bowe (If they reach FA) & Nicks (G)

Added this b/c i know these are two guys we want/like around here. Some people dont like the source but he knows his stuff

Im thinking we will add Royal and Garcon.

Just because two nickles cost you twelve and a half cents each does not mean they are worth a quarter together.

I just can't get over people really wanting to pay Garcon the money that he is going to require (which is more than 5 years, $35 MM). Brandon Lloyd 2.0.

Everybody is assuming Bowe will get franchised.
Bowe will get the franchise tag. VJax will not. For the record, I'd rather have Colston then VJax and I'm really not that fond of even signing VJax.
Bowe is getting the tag, won't leave KC this year, so he's not an option. Shanahan, reportedly, is very high on Bowe, but he's unavailable.
Bowe's being franchised.

Thanks all! Now he has not been yet, but it's a pretty safe bet he will be right? Now if he wasn't?

Royal is going to be signed to be our 4th WR and to return punts and kicks. I think this spells the end for Austin, Banks, Stallworth (FA) and Armstrong. And Paul can back up Royal returning punts and kicks.

If we sign Royal I think he might actually replace Santana on the roster - I can see him being cut. He has lost a couple of steps IMO and always seems to come up with a drop at a key time. He has been a very very good player here but if we sign a guy like Royal and Hankerson is healthy and shows he has progressed Moss might be the odd man out given his contract.

---------- Post added February-29th-2012 at 05:42 PM ----------

VJax' date=' Trent & Fred Davis.

Not sure its a good idea having 2 starters 1 strike away, never mind 3. :whoknows:[/quote']

Call it a support group .....

I think big Phil will be bird dogging Trent and Fred and tearing them a new one if they so much as breath out of turn.

Maybe MartinC, but I doubt it. True that Moss has lost a step, but my 6 WRs for next year would be:

Moss

Gaffney

Hankerson

Paul

Royal

FA- (Colston is my preference).

We cannot carry 8 or 9 WRs next year.

I would go

FA - Royal

Gaffney

Hankerson

Paul

Draft pick

FA- (Vjax is my preference).

I dont think we will get VJax though - I think his price will get too high given the suspension risk.

Archived