Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins may pursue free agents Vincent Jackson, Pierre Garcon and Marques Colston in the hunt for an impact WR

Oldskool

FA - Royal

Gaffney

Hankerson

Paul

Royal

FA- (Vjax is my preference).

That'd be only five. I could see Moss on their as the 6th. He had a down year, but it wasn't a good year offensively. I think he's signed to a very team-friendly deal. Moss is still a competent NFL starter and I think he's here for another year.

Just because two nickles cost you twelve and a half cents each does not mean they are worth a quarter together.

I just can't get over people really wanting to pay Garcon the money that he is going to require (which is more than 5 years, $35 MM). Brandon Lloyd 2.0.

True. Garcon doesn't seem like he would be way better than what we already have. I do like Vincent Jackson though.

That'd be only five. I could see Moss on their as the 6th. He had a down year, but it wasn't a good year offensively. I think he's signed to a very team-friendly deal. Moss is still a competent NFL starter and I think he's here for another year.

Yep I messed up with Royal twice but replaced him with a later round draft pick. I just think if you sign both VJac and Royal and Hank is healthy it's tough to see a role for Moss at the salary he is on. If we don't get one of Vjax or Royal though he will be safe for another year.

Just because two nickles cost you twelve and a half cents each does not mean they are worth a quarter together.

I just can't get over people really wanting to pay Garcon the money that he is going to require (which is more than 5 years, $35 MM). Brandon Lloyd 2.0.

I think you identified the issue in an earlier post... none of the options are ideal. All of the top options have question marks. Truth is no matter how much money we devote to finding a #1, unless Bowe is inexplicably not tagged, we aren't getting a #1 WR in free agency. You see Garcon being more or less the same player as Armstrong. I think they do similar things, but that Garcon is just far better at doing those things. You advocate Colston, but I think Paul/Hankerson will offer the size/possession skills that he brings to the table without the age or knee concerns.

If there was a lights out option and people we passing I could understand being flabbergasted. But when true quality supply is low and demand is high, concessions are made. You're willing to look past knee concerns, playing with Brees, a Sean Payton offense - which is consistently one of the most prolific aerial attacks each season. Other may be able to overlook Garcon being more of a complimentary piece, also playing with Manning, but being young and explosive.... which we don't have on the roster. (I feel Garcon is far better with the ball in his hands after the catch than Armstrong)

The argument would be who is capitulating more... you'll have your opinion, I'll have mine. But no matter what happens we're probably not going to look at the roster after FA and think the WR position is set.

If we're going after a WR, I want it to be Colston. 1000+ yards in 5 of 6 seasons (and that odd season out was cut short due to injury. He was averaging more ypc than any other year) and at least 5 TDs every year. He's young (29 when the season starts). Go for it.

I like Colston but he's not what this team needs imo.

He'd be another posession receiver on a team full those type receivers.

What we need is someone to stretch the field.

I think the notion of #1 WR is overblown, but I definitely think Hankerson can be a highly productive starter, this season. Brandon Marshall was in a very similar boat as Hankerson, a big athletic receiver that fell in the draft, brought in by Shanahan in the middle rounds, sparse production his rookie year, and then massive production from then on out.

Hankerson, physically, compares almost exactly to Dwayne Bowe and Hakeem Nicks. True "#1 receivers" in most people's eyes. (From NFLDraftScout.com, a great resource)

Leonard Hankerson: 6-2 209; 40low 4.36, 40high 4.54; vertical jump 36; arm length 32 1/4; hand size 10 5/8

Dwayne Bowe: 6-2 221; 40low 4.49, 40high 4.61; vertical jump 33; arm length 33 5'8

Hakeem Nicks: 6-1 212; 40 yard dash 4.51; vertical jump 36; arm length 33 1/2; hand size 10 1/2

Grossman was recently quoted talking about how Hankerson's going to be "a star." Shanahan loves the guy and said it was "devastating" that he had to miss the rest of the season with an injury. Hank's a guy -- unlike Thomas or Kelly who showed potential with their physical attributes -- who stepped in and produced almost immediately. 8 catches for 106 yards in just his second start, without even playing the whole game. He made the 100+yard game look effortless

I see no reason why he shouldn't be starting this year. He's a near ideal threat in our deep-crossing routes and deep comeback routes, and he's a redzone target too. Having a guy on the other side of the field, be it Garcon or Meachem (my two favorites) to stretch the field will open up so much more space for Hank (and Gaffney) to operate. As well as Freddy Davis inside and Moss/Royal in the slot.

Though I can see Shanahan falling in love with a guy like Vincent Jackson, who could perhaps have a Plaxico Burress-like impact on this team like he did with a young Eli Manning -- giving the rook an enormous 6'5 target to throw to at the very end of a play, when the play breaks down... Hell, it could be a ridiculously lethal combination with Griffin's ability to extend plays in a Vick or Roethlisberger fashion

V-Jax, Gaffney, Hankerson, Paul, Royal, Austin looks good to me. You get a top guy, a reliable possession guy who knows offense, a potential number 1 guy, a great blocker w/ good possession potential and ups, a shifty speedster familar w/ coach, good in slot and return game, and a another young guy who is improving in the system, OR replace Austin w/ Aldrick Robinson for another young speedster w/ some height. Pretty sure I read elsewhere that if we bring in a #1 the Moss is out though.

Don't think there's any chance Austin makes the team... I'd imagine we draft a WR late and keep him inactive all season (until injuries strike). Robinson is a more likely candidate I think too. Besides that one catch, Austin hasn't done anything in 2 years in the NFL, and his competition will only be much more stiff.

It's easy to see why Moss might be released, but Shanahan always seems to hang on to his veterans longer than any of us fans anticipate or particularly care for :ols:

V-Jax, Gaffney, Hankerson, Paul, Royal, Austin looks good to me. You get a top guy, a reliable possession guy who knows offense, a potential number 1 guy, a great blocker w/ good possession potential and ups, a shifty speedster familar w/ coach, good in slot and return game, and a another young guy who is improving in the system, OR replace Austin w/ Aldrick Robinson for another young speedster w/ some height. Pretty sure I read elsewhere that if we bring in a #1 the Moss is out though.

Imagine what our spread 4-man formation would look like.. :)

I think my perfect scenario for Receivers would be

Hankerson

Garcon (I think he is good, I mean he had a nice year with really bad QB play and is young)

Moss

Jeffery (Not in the 1st round, but I really like his size and ball skills, ultimate Red Zone guy, we need somthing like that)

Paul

A.J. Jenkins (In the 4th, I think this guy is a big sleeper, solid combine, solid stats)

I do not mind losing gaffney, Austin, Banks, Armstrong, we need an influx of youth and size to our WRs

I think my perfect scenario for Receivers would be

Hankerson

Garcon (I think he is good, I mean he had a nice year with really bad QB play and is young)

Moss

Jeffery (Not in the 1st round, but I really like his size and ball skills, ultimate Red Zone guy, we need somthing like that)

Paul

A.J. Jenkins (In the 4th, I think this guy is a big sleeper, solid combine, solid stats)

I do not mind losing gaffney, Austin, Banks, Armstrong, we need an influx of youth and size to our WRs

I've read that Garcon is looking for about $7 mill per...

people criticized the panthers for re-signing steve smith. look how that turned out. He made newton better and newton made smith better.

We have the cap space. There's no reason not to sign the best guy available- Bowe imo but they might have somebody else in mind. No to manningham, hines ward, or any other mediocre WR. We already have 7 of those.

people criticized the panthers for re-signing steve smith. look how that turned out. He made newton better and newton made smith better.

We have the cap space. There's no reason not to sign the best guy available- Bowe imo but they might have somebody else in mind. No to manningham, hines ward, or any other mediocre WR. We already have 7 of those.

Resigning a player you drafted and has been on your team for years is completely different than signing a high priced free agent. Not saying we shouldn't sign anyone but that's a bad comparison.

The undervaluing of Moss and Gaffney in this thread is disturbing. Gaffney proved he can be a great number two or three, Moss while slipping can still be productive in the slot and in this offense.

How do you think Moss has been 'slipping'? What QB has he had to throw him the ball consistently? Grossman?..Beck?...Campbell? Out of anyone on this planet, if we actually signed a quality QB, Moss will be the happiest person on the planet.

Archived