Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins may pursue free agents Vincent Jackson, Pierre Garcon and Marques Colston in the hunt for an impact WR

Oldskool

The Washington Redskins are making plans to add a high-profile wide receiver in an NFL free agent market that has them in abundance, according to several people familiar with the team’s deliberations.

Most of the speculation about the Redskins’ planned offseason retooling has focused on their strategy to upgrade at quarterback. But offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan has publicly acknowledged the team’s need for a big-play wide receiver, and people with knowledge of the team’s plans say they appear to be focusing on the free agent market, which opens March 13, rather than the draft, for that player.

Such a move could aid the development of a young quarterback if the Redskins add one, perhaps by trading up in the NFL draft to select Baylor’s Heisman Trophy winner, Robert Griffin III, in April. Or it could make for a more potent offense built around a veteran quarterback if the Redskins are able to sign Peyton Manning, who soon may be released by the Indianapolis Colts, or Kyle Orton in free agency.

For the rest of the article, see http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/redskins-may-pursue-free-agents-vincent-jackson-pierre-garcon-and-marques-colston-in-the-hunt-for-an-impact-wr/2012/02/29/gIQAxegTiR_blog.html

Vincent Jackson - WR - Chargers

The Washington Post reports the Redskins are "making plans" to sign a "high-profile" free agent wide receiver in March.

The Redskins no longer have a single proven receiver who can separate from top corners and make plays after the catch. The team plans to address the position via free agency as opposed to the draft. Vincent Jackson and Pierre Garcon are considered the top targets, though Marques Colston is another option if he escapes New Orleans. Reggie Wayne would only be courted as part of a package deal with Peyton Manning.

Related: Redskins, Reggie Wayne, Marques Colston, Pierre Garcon

Source: Washington Post Feb 29 - 1:24 PM

If we're going after a WR, I want it to be Colston. 1000+ yards in 5 of 6 seasons (and that odd season out was cut short due to injury. He was averaging more ypc than any other year) and at least 5 TDs every year. He's young (29 when the season starts). Go for it.

---------- Post added February-29th-2012 at 01:43 PM ----------

With 93 million (I think someone said) in cap space.....get Garcon/Royal and Jax/Bowe

Bowe's not an option. He's getting franchised.

With 93 million (I think someone said) in cap space.....get Garcon/Royal and Jax/Bowe

93 million? That would mean the team only has ~$30m tied up in cap space and I don’t see that being correct. Last I heard before the teams last 2 signings they had about $53m in space. I could be wrong though.

If we're going after a WR, I want it to be Colston. 1000+ yards in 5 of 6 seasons (and that odd season out was cut short due to injury. He was averaging more ypc than any other year) and at least 5 TDs every year. He's young (29 when the season starts). Go for it.

I worry that Colston is more a product of having Brees at QB.

I would take Colston/Royal. Royal affords us the ability to cut ties with Brandon Banks and would also give us the ability to move Santana Moss for a late round pick if any team were interested.

---------- Post added February-29th-2012 at 01:49 PM ----------

I worry that Colston is more a product of having Brees at QB.

I disagree. Colston is as advertised. He catches everything, runs great routes and has the ability to go up in the end zone and come down with the ball.

We need to stop at nothing to get RG3

Random RG3 posts like this, that are unimaginably repetitive and add nothing even to an RG3 topic and appear even in non RG3 threads, have become an unacceptably stupid problem and are essentially "spam" by rule and, as the case here, can result in a one week ban under the aforementioned rule.

Would prefer 2 tier 2 options (Garcon/Royal) as opposed to 1 A level option (VJax/Bowe)

We already have Tier 2 - Moss/Hankerson/Gafney

We need a Top Tier WR

We had about 40 mil in cap space. But we signed Montgomery and Scott so that should be less. Then we also need to resign Fletcher and Davis(Tag). So we won't go out and sign everyone. I think we will sign similar to last year. 2 -3 players at most. I think we will sign HT also.

Would prefer 2 tier 2 options (Garcon/Royal) as opposed to 1 A level option (VJax/Bowe)

Not me... i think we need 1 2nd teir WR (Royal) AND a 1st teir WR (VJax)... at that point we would actually have depth at the position. Plus we don't how Hanks hip will hold up by the start of the season...

Based on Garcon rejecting a 5 year offer from the Colts, and reportedly setting his base annual salary at $8 MM, Garcon is a tier 2 WR looking to get p-a-i-d like a tier 1 WR.

Personallly, I think he's a tier 3 WR, but that's neither here nor there.

And based on the lastest tweet, considering Colston is looking for $7 MM per, Garcon is setting himself up as the more expensive option.

I'd be more concerned if it were Henderson or Meachem. Colston has stickum hands.

yeah, but Malcolm Kelly knees... :ols:

---------- Post added February-29th-2012 at 02:00 PM ----------

The article talks about how this is such a deep market for WRs but in truth it seems like most of them could be tagged. I like Colston for his size, although he may be a product of Brees, he is still an upgrade over any WR on our team. If not him, I like Royal for his age and speed.

I don't think we can only target Royal.. I see him more as a utility guy. We need him and another stud...

Archived