Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins may pursue free agents Vincent Jackson, Pierre Garcon and Marques Colston in the hunt for an impact WR

Oldskool

I think I agree with you that he is going to end up being a Skin. I don't dislike the idea of it as he is familiar with the offense and seems to have reliable hands, I just don't think he adds another dimension to our offense. I think most likely he probably consolidates the roles of Austin and Banks saving us a roster spot. I too predict, and hope we're correct that the FO gets an upper echelon reciever to go with him.

I almost see Royal as Randle El but hopefully maintaining the desire to actually return kicks/punts and not just fair catch his way off the team. I just hope our coaching staff doesn't expect him to play a big role in the passing game. As of right now I would put Moss, Hankerson, and Gaffney all above him on the depth chart. Then again if he can begin to translate his speed into big play ability I will quickly become a fan.

Yeah, we definately don't need to carry 9 WRS (8 on the roster, 1 on PS last year) this year. I'd like to cut it down to no more than 6. I'd like to use a couple of those roster spots on OL, DL LB or DB for depth.

Not at all man. I love the stats. I love the comparisons. But what it comes down to is, Royal will be wearing a #19 Redskins jersey in about 11 days or so whether anybody wants him or not. I think he could add something to what we already had in addition to being a good return guy. I still think the FO goes out and gets another receiver along with Royal.

I kind of hope that receiver is a (healthy) Marques Colston.

Not at all. I know Colston can go deep. Go back a few pages and I've been advocating Colston over VJax while Laxpunk has been trying to convince me that VJax is a better deep threat. I also said in one of my posts on another page in here that Colston is "sick:" when it comes to catching redzone passes. My preference is Colston & Royal, keep Gaffney, Moss, Paul and Hank. And whether anyone wants him or not, I'd expect to see Royal in a #19 jersey in a couple of weeks.

Ah ok. I'm not a fan of getting Royal. If we do, what happens to Moss? Do we sign Royal to be our 4th or 5th WR? Or 6th (if Paul hopefully develops).

Ah ok. I'm not a fan of getting Royal. If we do, what happens to Moss? Do we sign Royal to be our 4th or 5th WR? Or 6th (if Paul hopefully develops).

My prediction would be at a minimum Austin/Banks go and maybe Moss too depending on what our other FA moves are. I don't see Royal being anything better than a 4th WR though. As I mentioned earlier I think Moss (Or FA replacement), Gaffney, and Hankerson are all above him on the depth chart. If we move on from Moss maybe he takes over the slot if one of the other three aren't comfortable playing inside.

The Redskins could actually use TWO wide receivers in free agency.

How about Marques Colston AND Eddie Royal? :)

The team has the cap room to upgrade the skill positions and no one can say we don't need it. That offense that took the field in 2011 was about as untalented as any I have seen around here in many years.

Assuming the Redskins are going to come out of the draft with a quarterback and some mid round picks for OL, it would make sense not to gamble at WR with rookies and younger players and go with guys who have proven themselves but are still young enough to be part of the picture here for the next 3-4 years.

Archived