Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Just saw The Iceman tonight.  Pretty damn good.  Michael Shannon plays Richard Kulkinski, a mafia hitman who is suspected to have killed over 100 people.  Winona Ryder plays his wife, Ray Liotta plays his boss and Chris Evans plays another killer in the movie.

Shannon kicks ass, great portrayal of a stone cold killer.  Great time piece, too...takes place in the mid 60's to early 80's, the clothes, cars and overall feel are great.  Really liked it, one of the better movies I've seen in awhile.

Trailer:  

Also, the new Angelika theatre in Merrifield is awesome.  A buddy of mine and I went to go see Star Trek last Friday night and met up at Tysons.  Parking was a ****, it was like Christmas over there.  Spent 15 minutes trying to find a spot.  Annoying teenagers everywhere, we just left and caught a later showing at Angelika.  Easy to get to, easy parking, adult crowd.....can get beers in a bucket while you watch the movie.  Theatres are nice, plenty of legroom.  A little pricey, though....but if you're tired of Tysons, its a great alternative.

I saw this the other night:

ff6newmovieposter.jpg

(Full disclosure: I'm a huge fan of The Rock, and I'll have some interest in just about any project he's in.  His addition to the cast in Fast & Furious 5 was also a big part of why the Fast & Furious franchise as a whole was reinvigorated, so it's nice to keep his character going in this series.)

In short - I ****ing loved this movie.  8 out of 10 for me.

It requires you to turn your brain off as soon as the opening credits begin to roll, but for mindless action, this is about as good of a movie as you're going to find these days.  Part of what makes this film work in that regard (and Fast & Furious 5 worked well for the same reasons), is that the franchise has essentially been rebooted under two main rules:

1 - It's not a "street racing" or even really a "car" movie franchise anymore.  They're now "heist" movies, centered on different "crews" assembling their different talents together to steal whatever extremely valuable item is being used as the main plot point.  It's sort of like taking "Ocean's 11" and mixing it with a "Need for Speed" video game.

2 - It's an absolutely absurd universe they've established within these new movies, where everyone is capable of performing superhero-esque feats of strength and agility and the action sequences are ridiculously over-the-top.  However, it all works because the film isn't trying to be more than a crazy action movie, and once you've come to understand and accept this universe's "rules" of physics and human natural abilities, everything flows pretty well.

Fast & Furious 5 had the main characters from the first through fourth movies assemble together as one big crew to pull off a bank heist in Rio de Janeiro, while The Rock's character tried to hunt them down and arrest them.  This film brings The Rock back as a good guy, who needs Vin Diesel to assemble his crew again, although this time they have to stop a terrorist from stealing some military software in London.

If I had one or two complaints, it's that the storyline isn't as tightly written as the Fast & Furious 5 storyline (the heist plan in that movie was actually done really well, and the climactic action sequence was a great payoff, and most of the action sequences were naturally part of the plot), but that seems to be because they went heavier on the action in this one, while doing a little more of writing the storyline AROUND the action sequences just to make them sort of fit together.

My other complaint is that the Paul Walker character has always been fairly lame, but he really serves little to no purpose in this movie.  Without spoiling anything, there's an entire sequence where Paul Walker's character goes off on a side journey by himself to find some information, and that takes up maybe 10 minutes of the movie, but there's no payoff to that at all.  It seemed like they just wanted to give Paul Walker some screen time on his own, since these movies are becoming more and more about Vin Diesel and The Rock.

For anyone who's seen all of the previous Fast & Furious movies, you're probably going to see this one as well, but if you were at all wavering on that idea, you'll want to see this one since (again, without spoiling anything) this one weaves the last three movies together, including Tokyo Drift.

And for anyone who hasn't seen the last few Fast & Furious movies, you have a little bit of time to catch up, because you're going to want to see Fast & Furious 7, which will bring in none other than Jason Statham to join the cast:

http://www.contactmusic.com/news/jason-statham-set-for-fast-and-furious-7_3651580

(And with that casting addition, I'm already fairly sure that Fast & Furious 7 will be the best and most senseless action movie of this century)

Just saw The Iceman tonight.  Pretty damn good.  Michael Shannon plays Richard Kulkinski, a mafia hitman who is suspected to have killed over 100 people.  Winona Ryder plays his wife, Ray Liotta plays his boss and Chris Evans plays another killer in the movie.

Shannon kicks ass, great portrayal of a stone cold killer.  Great time piece, too...takes place in the mid 60's to early 80's, the clothes, cars and overall feel are great.  Really liked it, one of the better movies I've seen in awhile.

Thanks for the review.

This is definitely on my list of movies to see.  It has a solid score on Rotten Tomatoes (69%), it's based on a pretty compelling true story, and I'd really like to check out Michael Shannon's performance before seeing him as General Zod in Man of Steel.

• 2 weeks later...

dark-skies-new-poster.jpg

As the Barret family's peaceful suburban life is rocked by an escalating series of disturbing events, they come to learn that a terrifying and deadly force is after them.

Saw this movie a couple nights ago. I honestly had not heard of it, so my immediate thought went from "Oh, this must be some kind of comedy/drama" to "Oh,it's a horror movie," and finally, Oh, this is a movie about aliens/alien abduction." So my own completely worthless review probably isn't all that fair.

This movie was awful... Just awful (and I hardly ever use that word, because I generally try to be as objective as possible...

The idea was unoriginal, yet good enough to keep your attention, but the execution, and the cast, was bad, really bad. I don't think they meshed well together, and none of their reactions throughout the entire movie gave you any sense of impending doom/dread. Other parts were downright laughable.

Generally in some horror/sci-fi movies, there is an effort to isolate one person from another, creating a rift, resulting in negative energy, to which whatever dark force is at play can become stronger. At some point though, reality kicks in for whoever has their head up their ass.

Guy ends up in a trance, in his own yard, with blood pouring out of his nose, yet he still wants to shout at his wife saying nothing is wrong, after she and the kids have their own experiences. Really? This isn't hearing some scratching in the walls, or a vivid nightmare.      Dude was a complete mess  :lol:

And at the end, where they board up the house, and are made aware that their youngest son is the prime target of the aliens, and are told to stay together at all costs, the first thing they do is send him and his older brother upstairs on their own...

And the aliens looked dumb. The producers would have done a lot better if they just didn't show them.

All in all, average plot, weak cast, and terrible execution, that started out bad, and got a little better towards the end, but ultimately ended up being nothing more than the **** child of of Signs/The 4th Kind.

And the whole special/troubled child thing is very played out, so I would've docked it regardless of whether  it was even remotely good or not.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

wasn't much on TV Saturday night, so the wife convinced me to watch Magic Mike with her.  ya know, it wasn't that bad of a movie, if you just watch it for what it is. 

and there was a super hot chick in it that I've never heard of before.  Cody Horn.  she's got that "girl nextdoor" look.

cody.jpg

I saw this is the end and it was absolutely hilarious

Funny story about cody horn. ... saw her on tv, mentioned to my sister that chick is pretty hot.... well come to find out her mom and my mom are cousins and grew up together lol... asked my mom about it and the story checked out, needless to say I felt awkward stating my cousin was hot lol

• Like 1

Michael Shannon frightens me.

Cloud Atlas....wtf did i just watch? lol. weird movie.

Halle is still hot as hell

x 100. I watched about 45 minutes to an hour of it, and every time I thought I was close to even remotely understanding what was going on, I got spun around in circles.

And yes, Halle is still hot.

• Like 1

Passing for now on downloading a poster pic (sorry ren :)), but figure I'll put this here---saw WWZ and was impressed, though it hardly remains true to the book's presentation other than in base storyline.

For instance, the movie lacked much of the complex international sociopolitical dynamics that dramatically exacerbated the crisis. It really lacked the way Brooks was able to make different personal tales of survivors ring so solidly and complete in such brief time given to them in the book, and make for an effective tapestry whose myriad individual sections do to tell a complete tale of enormous scope. You were interested in Brooks characters, even if feature briefly.

Here, it's pretty much Pitt all the way, with a directorial attempt to emphasize the normalcy and closeness of his family and then their world horrifically and crazily torn apart in one day. I read that Pitt really wanted the happiness, connection, and "ordinary" nature of the family juxtaposed against this "unthinkable nightmare."

This is a theme the Walking Dead pulls off like no other, admittedly benefiting from some "TV series" advantages in story-telling over a movie.On caring for characters, success for WWZ is mixed at best. The characters are thin, and the depth of the tale notably compromised compared to the book. Yet I'd call this a solid score of a movie. Pitt and/or others may have worked minor miracles to save what was often reported to be a total mess. He also stated that he wanted to show how people helping people is "the way" (i.el. the "poorer" family, helping Pitt's in the apt bldg) to handle anything per his well-known social activism and that "family is everything." A (if not "the") major focal point for the final product was that this is the story of a guy who only ends up saving the world because it's a necessary adjunct to to saving his family.

I'd think of it like a higher-grade 2012 with the "modern" high-quality zombie movie (say, 28 Days Later). The action scenes were more on the order of a Bond flick and it had a lot of action/disaster flick style along with the zombie stuff. In fact, the movie made an interesting move in bypassing all the typical zombie chew-toy scenes. On the other hand, there were great "battle" and "major event" scenes in the book that the movie dropped the ball on IMO by not offering on-screen versions---like the in-city falling of the army in NY and the learning of fighting zombies in formation with specific weaponry. The movie does put up a different ending than the book and doesn't delve into the "looking further down the road" timeline of the book. 

Funny, I had two major "turnaround" in the summer blockbuster fest so far...for the longest time I had doubts about supes and then got really excited the last couple months after seeing more and more trailers. Whereas I was excited about WWZ at first and then became increasingly less so upon hearing over and over the last couple years about what a disaster it was shaping to be. Then, WWZ ended up being better than I expected, while I ended up disappointed overall in Supes. In fact, I liked IM3 the more I think of it, more than Supes (which still was impressive and a good "blockbuster" on several fronts as I posted somewhere else earlier) which is unexpected. But I guess I'm not alone. IM3 did much better with audiences/critics to date, box office and review wise.

I'd definitely recommend WWZ but don't expect it to be too much like the book (which you should have heard a million times by now).

I also note I am so burned out on certain kinds of scenes done in certain genres (mainly action/horror), movie after movie, but in most cases I get there's not much choice. I just cross my fingers that they're done with the best scripting (so it really fits the story and timing) and technical execution as possible.

• Like 2

silent_hill_3d_poster.jpg

When her father disappears, Heather Mason is drawn into a strange and terrifying alternate reality that holds answers to the horrific nightmares that have plagued her since childhood

I saw the reviews to this movie months and months ago, and just chalked it up to people not understanding the Silent Hill world (which is very very complicated... Honestly it's probably way too complicated to hold the attention of someone who hasn't played the games, but knows that it was based off of a videogame) but this was just a complete wreck. The movie is based off of the game Silent Hill 3, which is a sequel to the first game. Therein lies the problem, as the Silent Hill movie was only loosely based on the first game, yet Revelation incorporates elements from the 1st game that were not included in the 1st movie, which confuses the hell out of anyone who watched the first Silent Hill, as well as people watching Revelation who have no knowledge of the franchise.

Important scenes from the game (that could've made the movie a lot better) were left out, other situations/scenes were added just for movies sake (which made no sense), people who were supposed to live ended up dead, people who were supposed to die were kept alive, and it just completely wrecked everything.

I think the most laughable part was Pyramid Head being Alessa's "Protector". I had no problem with him being in the first move, because it was simply for cheap thrills, but introducing it as a character with a purpose in the Alessa Gillespie storyline makes no sense. It has nothing to do with that storyline, and everything to do with the storyline in the game Silent Hill 2, as it is the direct manifestation of James Sunderland's repressed guilt for murdering his sick wife.

I think Silent Hill really had a chance to make a name for itself, and set the standard for videogame-movie adaptations, but it failed miserably with the sequel, jut like Mortal Kombat: Annihalation did. I'm not sure if they'll ever make another Silent Hill movie, but if they do, they need to realize that there's nothing wrong with having a male protagonist if they get the right actor, that will do a good job of conveying a sense of disorientation/fear/terror to the audience, as well as giving the audience the feeling that he is just an average Joe with limited fighting/survival skills. Channing Tatum is probably not your guy... and with it being a videogame movie, your options are probably already limited anyway, but it can work. You just have to go non canon most likely, and do away with the convoluted Alessa Gillespie storyline.

Something similar to Silent Hill: Homecoming would've been pretty cool.

i watched that last night as well. what an awful movie. i liked the first two silent hill flicks but my god was revelatipn horrible.

Revelation had half the budget as the previous SH installment and it showed. Though he did what he could with his role, Sean Bean is so much better than that lol. i felt bad for him

i watched that last night as well. what an awful movie. i liked the first two silent hill flicks but my god was revelatipn horrible.

Revelation had half the budget as the previous SH installment and it showed. Though he did what he could with his role, Sean Bean is so much better than that lol. i felt bad for him

That was painfully bad. And I found myself saying the same thing ("How the hell did Sean Bean/Carrie Anne Moss get dragged into this?").The acting was bad (which is probably why his character was fleshed out to balance things, because he was supposed to die in the apartment at the hands of the Missionary) , none of the characters made any sense, and it all got put in the microwave for an hour and a half. I've seen stuff on SyFy at '2 in the morning that was better than that. I think that's the last we'll ever see of a Silent Hill movie (at least one that's released in theaters) for awhile, if ever.

Watched a crapload of movies this weekend:

Liked:  Battleship, The Dark Knight Rises, The Amazing Spiderman, Premium Rush, Abraham Lincoln Vampire Killer

OK: The Dillema, Oz the Great and Powerful, Trouble with the Curve

Not good: Pineapple Express, Christmas with the Kranks

Some of the older one's I had never seen and decided to watch them.  We watch Oz outside at the mall.  They have outdoor movie nights on Saturday for free.

'Snitch," one of the Rock's movies from early this year. really cool flick, better than i thought it was gonna be.

a lot of folks on this one: susan sarandon, barry pepper, shane from walking dead, omar from the wire, capt Neville's son from NBC's Revolution.

django-unchained-fan-poster-red.jpg

With the help of a German bounty hunter, a freed slave sets out to rescue his wife from a brutal Mississippi plantation owner.

One word: Awesome

Everything was awesome. Perfect cast that meshed well together. Great humor, great action, great everything. Another classic from Tarantino. Gotta love a man that knows his Ennio Morricone as well.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

django-unchained-fan-poster-red.jpg

With the help of a German bounty hunter, a freed slave sets out to rescue his wife from a brutal Mississippi plantation owner.[/size]

One word: Awesome

Everything was awesome. Perfect cast that meshed well together. Great humor, great action, great everything. Another classic from Tarantino. Gotta love a man that knows his Ennio Morricone as well.

This was one of my favorite movies from last year. It was indeed awesome. Leo and Waltzwere terrific and I loved the way the humor broke up the serious subject matter and horrific things that were going on. Very well done. Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

I finally saw "this is 40"

My wife enjoyed it more than I did. It has some funny moments but it felt like I was watching teenagers pretending to be adults struggle with life's routine problems.

Edited by Destino

MV5BMTM2MTI5NzA3MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODEx

After a stint in a mental institution, former teacher Pat Solitano moves back in with his parents and tries to reconcile with his ex-wife. Things get more challenging when Pat meets Tiffany, a mysterious girl with problems of her own.

Words almost cannot describe how much I enjoyed this movie. I loved it, (loved it) probably more than the average viewer, because I can directly relate to Cooper's/Lawrence's characters and their struggles. I suffered a nervous breakdown in 2009, after things came to a head in my personal and professional life. I coped with it for 6 months with drug use, and eventually cracked, getting into a scuffle with a neighbor, being handcuffed (not arrested) by police because I was deemed as a danger to myself and those around me, getting transported via ambulance, getting voluntarily committed to a psych ward, and getting diagnosed as bipolar.

I know that feeling (how he was in the beginning of the movie... combative,paranoid, antisocial, vengeful, not taking his medicine). I know how just the simple thought of attaining relative peace of mind felt more daunting and cumbersome than climbing Mt Everest, I know how simply going back to your house (because you forgot your cell phone) can make you angry enough that it can ruin your entire day, affecting (and even destroying) relationships with people who are closest to you, I know how any little mundane thing you encounter throughout your day could trigger a horrible memory that you can no longer repress and push off to the side, and I know, on top of all of that,  the feeling of trying your damndest to convince yourself (and everyone else) that you are in complete control of your life, even going so far as setting up false goals and idioms, knowing deep down that all of it couldn't be further from the truth in your own mind. I know the feeling of having to learn things like trust, social interaction, reliability, and overall responsibility, all over again, after mentally shutting yourself off from society to the point where a person standing right next to you might as well be 1,000 miles away, feeling like you aren't worth a damn to yourself, or anyone else. It's not easy

I also got a chuckle out Cooper and Lawrence joking around, comparing their respective situations/medications (some of which I actually take), and trying to debate who was "Crazier" than the other, which is typically what people in those situations do (it's what I did at the psych ward, which kind of makes people feel more at ease around others like them, forming a bond), but (because of their respective conditions) any little spark (intentional or unintentional) could set everything ablaze, and minutes later, they could carry on like nothing happened.

And lastly, I remember experiencing that feeling that he displayed towards the end of the movie, when he finally let everything go, and danced his ass off. It's that feeling of liberation that you get after finally understanding that, no matter how hard you think you're trying, you can never, ever move forward, until you learn to forgive yourself, forgive others, learn to accept failure, understand that you will never be perfect, understand that your past cannot be changed but your future can, and understand that you will have bad days, but it's imperative that you never lose perspective. Try to look at the big picture, and try to find that "Silver Lining," realizing that there are some things that you can control, and that there are some things that are completely out of your control, but you can't dwell on it (you can go through it, but you don't have to live it)... You can't sulk.

You have to be strong, and try your best to move on, and be mindful of the fact that no matter how bad you may think you have it, life can throw you an even uglier curveball that your mind simply couldn't/wouldn't comprehend, just 2 seconds ago. And when you do all of that, you'll find that peace of mind isn't as difficult to attain as you though it was. You'll realize that everyone is not as perfect as you thought they were, and that all people, in all walks of life, go through tough stuff at some point, but ultimately choose to either learn, and grow from it, or fold their tent, and eat themselves alive through anger/guilt/regret (which is what separates successful people from unsuccessful people). You'll realize that you can be helped, and you'll realize that you are capable of helping others, and you'll be able to find happiness in the simpler things in life, which will improve your self image, your outlook on life, and your ability to find love/happiness/friendship in places that you'd least expect. That alone can be more powerful, and more useful, than any degree, or amount of money that you will ever earn.

Sorry for the long post, but it is rare, at least for me, to find movies that speak directly to you like this one, so I figured I'd share a little bit of my own history (which is something that I rarely ever do. I typically engage in more humorous topics) to show just how much it meant to me personally. The trials, and lessons learned and experienced in this movie, are the same ones that most likely saved my life.

*Oh, and Jennifer Lawrence was smoking hot throughout.  :)

• Like 2