Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: LaRon Landry is looking quite large

Califan007 The Constipated

Here is the deal, he isn't training his body to be an NFL strong safety

I am glad he is in great shape and working hard, but having that kind of upper body muscle mass does nothing for the functional skills of his position.

That is the issue. He seems more into his body and overall mass then fine tuning himself to play a full season

Trying to make fast stop and go lateral movements isn't easy for a guy that is 6'0 tall with that type of upper body mass

Hey, right now I wanted to go through and apply a little B2A for either being stupid or trolling-lite, I would nail everyone on this page but truant and myself. :)

So let's wind at least some of the poster-to-poster bickering down a bit. The stupid is more a regular part of the deal. :)

I dont know if this has been stated, but that first picture has to be fake.....

If you look at the tattoo work, its missing in the first picture. So one of the pics are fake.

I thought that too, but the second shot is in a mirror, so the tattoos don't make it fake. Still might be fake, but the tats aren't a giveaway.

All that muscle does you no good if you can't stay on the football field. Unless he is joining the WWE.

Perfect example. This implies that adding muscle is somehow keeping him off the football field. He's 'off the football field' because his achilles is injured. Not because he smoked pot, not because he's fighting with coaches, not because he shot himself in the leg, not because he did a girl in a bathroom at a bar, not because he's an alcoholic, and certainly not because his muscles are so big.

You guys hated Albert because he was out of shape, and you hate Laron because he's in too good of shape. ES!

Perfect example. This implies that adding muscle is somehow keeping him off the football field. He's 'off the football field' because his achilles is injured. Not because he smoked pot, not because he's fighting with coaches, not because he shot himself in the leg, not because he did a girl in a bathroom at a bar, not because he's an alcoholic, and certainly not because his muscles are so big.

You guys hated Albert because he was out of shape, and you hate Laron because he's in too good of shape. ES!

Again, its a matter of being smart and having the right priorities.

Yes I would rather have Laron lifting rather then doing something stupid at the club at 3 AM.

But he has to be smart and fine tune his body to playing football, not enter Mr. Olympia

Yes I would rather have Laron lifting rather then doing something stupid at the club at 3 AM.

But he has to be smart and fine tune his body to playing football, not enter Mr. Olympia

Well is it really fair to say that having huge biceps is somehow bad for the SS position? I've never heard that.

And it's certainly not fair of us to decide what the 'right priorities' are for Laron. It's his decision. You guys think he doesn't want surgery just because he's some kind of idiot? He has is reasons, and from the little that we know, we can at least consider them reasonable. Guaranteed 1.5 years off, and a sure loss of range. He's trying another option, because there IS one.

I find it hard to believe that fans would have the patience to wait more than one season for Laron to play again. That is the guaranteed case with the surgery. During the year we would hear things like "oh we're supposed to be building and making a new guy, Gomes should be playing." It's unfortunate that his contract is where it is right now, because I imagine it's hard for Shanny to go EITHER route. Paying him to rehab, or paying him, fingers crossed that the alternative procedure works 100%.

No matter what, I'm just pretty bothered by all the cheap shots at him lately. There is just no reason for it. He doesn't deserve it.

Well is it really fair to say that having huge biceps is somehow bad for the SS position? I've never heard that.

I am not trying to cheap shot the guy, I am a big fan and he is a real nice kid off the field (my brother and I met him in Georgetown shortly after he was drafted)

But you have a responsiblity to train the appropriate way and not David Boston yourself out of the NFL. Which he is well on his way to doing.

Having that kind of upper body mass has an impact on how he moves laterally. And it isn't exactly a positive impact

Here's the deal with LaRon...

Some of the vitriol towards him isn't justified. There are still fans that are going to rag on dude because he had to play free safety after Sean Taylor died and he never really fit there, so the people that blamed him for the failings in our secondary that are still going to rag on him.

If you didn't like LaRon before, you're not likely to ever like him, just like the guys who bag on Davis and Trent Williams after their suspensions will never like them regardless of what they'll do. So there is a little bit of pre-emptive bull**** on people's parts, wherein whenever anything is posted about LaRon, people are going to hate on him.

...Some of it, Landry brings on himself though. I think there's a lot of people (like me, for example) who are miffed that he didn't get the surgery. Even knowing the team may have recommended the alternate treatment at first, it seems pretty clear that the alternative treatment didn't work, and if reports that he has bone spurs are true, no amount of the treatment he's getting now is going to help him. Even if he's cleared to play, he'll be about as limited as he would be if he got the surgery over with.

But rather than just bite the bullet and get the surgery...LaRon's decided "**** it, let's try the original procedure that failed the first time again", even though all indications are that it'll do nothing to help. I understand that Achilles surgery is very, very tough to come back from and he'll likely never be quite the same...but delaying the inevitable isn't any more likely to get him playing like he did in 2010 either.

Then you add in the fact that he was rumored to not be willing to take the franchise tag (as in he was going to be willing to sit out), even as a good faith "I'll prove myself" measure, and that just adds another layer of annoyance.

The problem with 'Los, and the reason why hatred of him is now at an all time high, is because he had a very, VERY easily solved problem (just get contacts or Lasik or SOMETHING) that he continually ignored even at the constant ribbing of his teammates and the suggestion of our medical staff. As soon as Gibbs left, it seemed that 'Los made up his mind he wanted to go, which made the fact that he dropped picks and generally seemed disinterested, critical of the fanbase (rightfully and/or wrongfully) and opened his mouth about **** going on in the lockeroom even more annoying. Was the fanbase overly critical? Yeah, maybe. He was a pretty good cover corner. But the fact that he acts like a bitter ex-girlfriend and badmouths the team and the fans for a problem that he could've solved with a one time, simple procedure, whether he had to pay for it out of pocket (which I doubt) or the organization had to pay for it rubs people like me the right way.

No one is denying that Achilles surgery is very, very hard to come back from...but it's hard to empathize with the guy when 1.) it's indicated he'll hold out instead of signing the franchise tag, 2.) he won't go a surgery that he needs and sticks with a procedure that won't work and 3.) the dude dedicates massive amounts of time to building muscle mass, and even if he DOES work out his legs, one would think adding muscle mass and weight exacerbation the problem, making it worse.

If he dropped muscle mass and got leaner, would it kill him? No, and it would probably help take pressure OFF his ruptured Achilles.

And as for the Phillip Daniels comments; PD doesn't lift to look good in pictures for Twitter, or to build insane muscle mass. PD isn't an adonis; he's built a lot more like a normal weight lifter would be. He's strong as hell and he's damn huge, but if PD came on looking like this, I would wonder what the hell he was thinking.

That's just me, though.

Who's to say he's NOT "fine tuning" his body for football?

It's his body, he can do whatever the hell he wants to with it. If he wants to spend all that time in the weight room while recovering, then more power to him.

That kind of dedication speaks volumes imo.

Since you're in the know.. what are the "right" priorities?

If I'm not mistaken, Boston had DUI's and beat up women. He was also caught using PEDs, and say what you want about Laron, but he hasn't been caught with anything like that. So, I don't think his big muscles are what got him out of the NFL.

The idea that your muscles can be 'too big' for football just sounds completely ridiculous for me, for any position.

Maybe not. But by the same token he deserves little praise or support for a multitude of things through his time here.

Hail.

If what you're saying is that he hasn't put up enough great numbers yet to deserve support from his fans, I would say we ought to give the players of our favorite football team the benefit of the doubt UNTIL they do something very stupid on or off the field. Being injured does not fall into that category for me. The way the guy approaches the injury doesn't either because we are not his doctors.

Archived