Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hypothetcial question regarding Ryan Tannehill (merged)

SmallDaddy

I have a hypothetical question to try and gauge the general consensus on Tannehill. To me, it seems we may not be able to get RG3. Tannenhill is the next best QB according to most "experts" (someone on NFL network's website had him rated #8 player in the draft which seems rather high to me). Anyway, I was wondering if Matt Barkley and Landry Jones were in this years draft (which they are obviously not) - who would you want? If it came down to Tannehill, Barkely, Jones - who would you pick?

Barkley by a million miles and I like Tannehill.

^ this

Barkley would be right along RG3 in debate for the second QB in the draft, Tannenhill is really a second round prospect that will be over drafted because of need. That said I like tannenhill but luck, griffin, and Barkley all look to be legit franchise qb prospects and I would be happy with any one of them at 6 or even to trade up. With tannenhill I wouldn't love him at six but we need a quarterback and if Shanahan were to draft him at six I'd put my faith in him to develop tannenhill.

I have a hypothetical question to try and gauge the general consensus on Tannehill. To me, it seems we may not be able to get RG3. Tannenhill is the next best QB according to most "experts" (someone on NFL network's website had him rated #8 player in the draft which seems rather high to me). Anyway, I was wondering if Matt Barkley and Landry Jones were in this years draft (which they are obviously not) - who would you want? If it came down to Tannehill, Barkely, Jones - who would you pick?

Of those 3 I would take Barkley well ahead of either Jones or Tannehill.

I like Jones in terms of the way he throws the ball - he has a very good arm and can make all the NFL throws you need, he has good accuracy and is a lot more mobile than he is given credit for. However his decision making is suspect, he does not handle pressure well and I was concerned by the way his performance tailed off this year after Ryan Broyles got hurt. He has a lot to prove next year if he is going to cement himslef as a top 10 pick in 2013.

Tannehill has better physical skills than Barkely but is raw. He has the potential to be a better pro QB than Barkely IMO but he needs time and you are investing with him based on a projection of what he can become rather than what he is.

Barkely is much more exprienced and developed as a QB. He does not blow me away in any one area from a physical standpoint but he does everything well and makes good decisions. If he has a good year next season he will probably be one of the names in the hat for the #1 overall pick.

I feel like a poll is in order for one of these threads:

Which would you rather have:

- Ryan Tannehill this year

- Matt Barkley or Landry Jones next year

Of course, how you word the question could drastically affect the outcome. If you say we're trading down for Tannehill, he'll probably get more votes than if we had it with him being picked at 6. Comparatively, if you put Geno Smith and Tyler Wilson on the list of QBs next year, that might increase the numbers for that side further. I dunno, maybe make a poll with a half-dozen options covering all the major bases.

Anyways, back to the question in the OP. Matt Barkley by a moon-trip. He's got holes, more than Griffin, but none so major as Tannehill's. Plus I'd feel much more comfortable with him coming in at week 8 than I would with Tannehill.

Landry Jones edges out Tannehill too, but by much less. The benefit for Jones it that he's got another full year in the oven, while Tannehill is being served despite being cooked rare.

Crap, now I'm hungry.

This has been debated a million times in the past...here we go again...

But to answer your question...Tannehill. Barkley and Jones needed another year.

???

barkleys a 3 years starter. tannehill has started for a year and a half (which seems to be the knock on him- he's raw).

why do you say barkley needs another year?

Interesting, the "experts" have a guy that began the 2010 season as the #2/3 WR and has started 19 games at QB in college as the #3 QB. Maybe Mike Shermanhas no clue, but I dont think you stick a 1st round QB at WR if the QB in front of him goes undrafted. just Saying, Jerrod Johnson put up pretty much the same or better #'s in the Sherman offense throwing TO tannehill, and went undrafted. Think about it

???

barkleys a 3 years starter. tannehill has started for a year and a half (which seems to be the knock on him- he's raw).

why do you say barkley needs another year?

I don't think Barkley's accuracy is good enough yet. He throws so many passes where the WR has to jump for the ball. Tannehill can throw an accurate deep out pattern consistently (the toughest throw to make in the NFL). Tannehill needs some work, but his skills and upside surpass Barkley imo.

I don't think Barkley's accuracy is good enough yet. He throws so many passes where the WR has to jump for the ball. Tannehill can throw an accurate deep out pattern consistently (the toughest throw to make in the NFL). Tannehill needs some work, but his skills and upside surpass Barkley imo.

i was under the impression that the accuracy thing was reversed- that barkley had it but tannehill needed to work on it. could be wrong. or i could be reading the wrong scouting reports.

i was under the impression that the accuracy thing was reversed- that barkley had it but tannehill needed to work on it. could be wrong. or i could be reading the wrong scouting reports.
I'm just going off of games that I've seen. I don't really read scouting reports because some of them are horribly wrong or can give you the wrong impression about a player.

I'm not saying I am absolutely right, but based on games that I have seen of Barkley and Tannehill, I've noticed those particular strengths/weaknesses. I would encourage everyone to try to rely on actual games for analysis instead of public scouting reports.

1. If he is healthy for his workouts/pro-day, Tannehill will move up boards significantly. Think Locker.

2. College starting experience is over-rated IMO.

3. Tannehill played for a real NFL OCoordinator in a stripped-down pro offense.

4. You have to factor the busts of recent USC and Okla. QBs in the NFL when evaluating Landry and Barkley. Those schools are stocked with pros all over the place on the Oline and at WR/RB. They both run what I consider to be a gimmick offense. (Even Bradford looks much more limited than I thought he would in the NFL, and forget Sanchez, Leinart, and the series of awful Olka. QBs who have been winning 10+ games per year in Norman since Stoops got there.)

5. Tannehill isn't a reach at any pick if he is good.

6. A year is an eternity in both the NFL and college. Waiting for Landry or Barkley is crazy.

7. Based on what he had to work with regarding the talent on his team, based on the fact that he ran a real system with a coach with a good Pro track record, and based on his skill set as it fits in with the Shanny version of the WC, I could not say that Tannehill is any less of a prospect than either Barkley or Landry.

8. Besides, if they were to wait a year, then I would rather the Skins make a play for Tyler Wilson above all the others.

Tannehill still would have a bad foot. Sorry but we wasted a pick on kelly don't need to repeat the mistakes

Malcolm Kelly had a chronic knee condition. Tannehill fractured his foot and is going to be 100 % before the draft takes place.

There is not even a remote connection in terms of injury risk between Kelly and Tannehill.

---------- Post added February-20th-2012 at 01:57 PM ----------

It's going to be hilarious when Landry Jones is the 4th or 5th QB off the board next year, when he could have suckered someone into taking him in the top 10 this year.

I would not write Jones off as a top ten pick next year yet. If he has a good year he will be right in that bracket, his physical skills are worthy of a top ten pick but he has to show better decision making and better production over a full year. It's going to be interesting to watch him next season.

I'm always suprised by the omission of Tyler Wilson in these threads. If all 6 QBs came out, I think the list would go:

1) Luck

2) Griffin

3) Barkley

4) Jones

5) Wilson

6) Tannehill

Although each draft guru will diffr slightly, Barkley's way ahead of Tannehill, Jones was way ahead until a late season slide, and even Tyler Wilson generally rates better.

I firmly believe Barkley will be a top 5, if not top 1 overall pick next year. Comparing him to Tannehill is like comparing Robert Griffin to Colin Kapernick.

Between all 4 guys (including Wilson), I'd still take Barkley pretty easily. I don't think it's that much of a contest.

I would not write Jones off as a top ten pick next year yet. If he has a good year he will be right in that bracket, his physical skills are worthy of a top ten pick but he has to show better decision making and better production over a full year. It's going to be interesting to watch him next season.

Oh, he'll definitely get the same buzz for the same reasons next year. He'll put up big numbers again in that offense, and people will talk themselves into him again. It's going to be great.

If everyone came out like first thought, then Tannehill is number 5 or 6 QB. That is all I need to know and why you shouldn't take him at the 6th pick. He has basically lucked into guys not declaring for the NFL draft. Me personally don't want to go with a guy who won 3rd place by default. The poor man's Big Ben can go to another team please.

1. If he is healthy for his workouts/pro-day, Tannehill will move up boards significantly. Think Locker.

Not sure Locker is a great comp. Many, including Todd McShay, had Locker as a top 10 pick before his senior season. It was his crappy senior season that tanked his draft stock. We don't know how Locker will fare as a pro, but rising on pure measurables and not on field play can be dangerous. There's always the risk of "workout wonders" like Mike Mamula.

2. College starting experience is over-rated IMO.

Actually, quite the opposite can be true. A common thread among QB busts is the lack of starting experience. Not so much because a player needs the reps, but more because scouts have an easier time identifying flaws. If a guy starts one year (many games against terrible schools), then a scout is really going off a handful of games. Ryan Leaf and Akili Smith were just 1 year starters. The most game film, the wasier it is to properly evaluate a player.

3. Tannehill played for a real NFL OCoordinator in a stripped-down pro offense.

Useful, but then again so did Jimmy Clausen. Ultimately it will come down to the player, not the system.

4. You have to factor the busts of recent USC and Okla. QBs in the NFL when evaluating Landry and Barkley. Those schools are stocked with pros all over the place on the Oline and at WR/RB. They both run what I consider to be a gimmick offense. (Even Bradford looks much more limited than I thought he would in the NFL, and forget Sanchez, Leinart, and the series of awful Olka. QBs who have been winning 10+ games per year in Norman since Stoops got there.)

Tougher to judge. Carson Palmer went to USC and turned out fine (when he was not hurt). Leinart and Sanchez have not done so well (note that Sanchez also was a one year starter).

Oklahoma does not have much to go off since guys like Josh Heupel and Jason White were not viewed as Pro Prospects despite big college numbers. Bradford regressed in his sophomore year, but is hardly a bust. We don't yet know on Landry Jones.

5. Tannehill isn't a reach at any pick if he is good.

But he is a reach if he's bad. Not sure the point. Anyone looks good IF they pan out.

6. A year is an eternity in both the NFL and college. Waiting for Landry or Barkley is crazy.

It is. I also think it will likely be tougher to trade up for Barkley as he'll probably go top 5. The Redskins should have a better record next season, even if its only with a Kyle Orton type. You don't bank on drafting Barkley next year. But you also don't pick Tannehill just to get a warm body. You have to actually believe in him.

7. Based on what he had to work with regarding the talent on his team, based on the fact that he ran a real system with a coach with a good Pro track record, and based on his skill set as it fits in with the Shanny version of the WC, I could not say that Tannehill is any less of a prospect than either Barkley or Landry.

I think you'll find little support for this statement, but at least you've made your stand.

I was never all that impressed with Barkley, I feel he will be an average qb at best in the nfl, I certainly don't think that's worthy of a top 10 pick. I think tannehill has the ability to become a top 10 qb, but I don't know if he will. I would rather take my chances with Tannehill than Barkley, though I think Tannehill has more of an all-out bust factor to him. Jones I haven't watched a ton of so I can't comment there.

Seems like most of the draft geeks saw Barkely has a top high first round pick after of course Luck, usually in the the top 5 picks, with arguments flowing whether RG III or Barkely should be taken first. Tannehill seems to be regarded as a 2nd round prospect, fringe late first round but might climb up the boards Ponder style if a team gets desperate on draft day.

Archived