Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hypothetcial question regarding Ryan Tannehill (merged)

SmallDaddy

I think if I could impart one piece of (subjective) wisdom about the draft, it would be that the "consensus" pick is just as much of a 50-50 proposition as the "reach" pick. Worrying about "value" is just as likely to lose you your GM job as is consistently doing some crazy Al Davis stuff on draft day.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are stocked full of value picks, consensus selections, and highly regarded drafts by the "experts" the day after. They just don't actually have very many good players.

:doh: First off, the speculation surrounding the Browns can be considered much like our own organization. Let the smokescreens fly. Anyone who believes RG3 can't succeed in the WCO is fooling themselves. He is more than capable, with his skill set, to operate in that type of system as much as he can in Shanny's offense. This is given the fact that the two systems are quite similar. :logo:

Here's the difference though and I don't think anyone could argue this..

The Browns have a lot more holes than we do.

We have our own issues, we need a playmaking reciever and some more depth on the OL. We also could have an issue at Safety.

The Browns have holes almost all over the roster now with Hillis and all.

The Browns also have at minimum a placeholder at QB.

We have what amounts to almost nothing at QB. We have Beck under contract and Grossman would like to return but is not under contract.

The Browns have one more 1st round pick than us, but they need it worse than we do AND they have a QB already whos at least a placeholder and could possibly improve.

I think if we want RGIII and are willing to trade up to the 2 or 3 spot to get him, then hes ours.

The injury that he has is not a chronic thing. I've had the injury, it's no big deal.

Indeed, breaking a bone is completely different from tearing a ligament. As a guy who has done both, my clavicle was fine to work out on a month later and was back to full strength in 2 months. My knee, where I tore my lcl and mcl, still hurt going up steps 6 months later. Bones regrow rather quickly and are rarely, if ever, a recurring injury.

The only two things I'm certain of in this draft are that Robert Griffin is going to go at #2 Overall, and whoever trades up to get him will spend at least a decent amount to get him.

I think the Browns would entertain the idea of drafting Griffin at 4 if he were to drop, but some team, either the Skins or a darkhorse, will trade up to #2. The Browns could easily beat anyone's offer, but I don't think they'll want to give up any picks.

From the Browns persspective, would you rather:

Trade up to #2 and sacrifice most of your prized assets for Griffin, or

Stay at #4, draft the best available prospect, then draft two more high quality players between your 2nd First Rounder and your Second Rounder, and add those weapons to Colt McCoy at QB?

The Browns are in the best position. Best case scenerio, they can acquire Griffin if they want to sacrifice their wealth of picks. Worst case scenario, they pick a Top 5 prospect, a Top 20 Prospect, and a Top 40 Prospect.

I've said since barkley went back that rg3 would be a brown and I'm sticking with that train of thought.

im warming up to tannehill but not in the 1st

i also think its interesting ppl aren't paying attention to the senior QBs coming out this year, its quite a few of them hovering around that 2-3rd area, might be an andy dalton in the bunch.

Interesting, the "experts" have a guy that began the 2010 season as the #2/3 WR and has started 19 games at QB in college as the #3 QB. Maybe Mike Shermanhas no clue, but I dont think you stick a 1st round QB at WR if the QB in front of him goes undrafted. just Saying, Jerrod Johnson put up pretty much the same or better #'s in the Sherman offense throwing TO tannehill, and went undrafted. Think about it

I don't think you can compare the two. For one Tannehill was Johnson's best WR. Another thing is Tannehill has traits of NFL QB that Johnson just don't have. For one Tannehill is Elite in pocket presence and has the Elite anticapation and better zip on the ball. With Tannehill people got to look at substance more than production with him. I would take Tannehill over Barkley or Jones though. I have to see Barkley vs a defense that can keep up with his weapons. I know he has that IT factor but I got to see how he does vs top talent.

---------- Post added February-21st-2012 at 06:16 AM ----------

1. If he is healthy for his workouts/pro-day, Tannehill will move up boards significantly. Think Locker.

2. College starting experience is over-rated IMO.

3. Tannehill played for a real NFL OCoordinator in a stripped-down pro offense.

4. You have to factor the busts of recent USC and Okla. QBs in the NFL when evaluating Landry and Barkley. Those schools are stocked with pros all over the place on the Oline and at WR/RB. They both run what I consider to be a gimmick offense. (Even Bradford looks much more limited than I thought he would in the NFL, and forget Sanchez, Leinart, and the series of awful Olka. QBs who have been winning 10+ games per year in Norman since Stoops got there.)

5. Tannehill isn't a reach at any pick if he is good.

6. A year is an eternity in both the NFL and college. Waiting for Landry or Barkley is crazy.

7. Based on what he had to work with regarding the talent on his team, based on the fact that he ran a real system with a coach with a good Pro track record, and based on his skill set as it fits in with the Shanny version of the WC, I could not say that Tannehill is any less of a prospect than either Barkley or Landry.

8. Besides, if they were to wait a year, then I would rather the Skins make a play for Tyler Wilson above all the others.

I think Geno Smith is better than Wilson. I can't believe ppl are not talking more about him for next year. People don't realize how good this dude is.

---------- Post added February-21st-2012 at 06:21 AM ----------

if barkley was in this draft he'd go 2nd overall easily ahead of rg3.

so its not even a question as to who id take between him and tannehill.

with that said i want tannehill as our QB moving forward

I don't think so. Seriously I don't think that is the case.

---------- Post added February-21st-2012 at 06:30 AM ----------

I've said since barkley went back that rg3 would be a brown and I'm sticking with that train of thought.

im warming up to tannehill but not in the 1st

i also think its interesting ppl aren't paying attention to the senior QBs coming out this year, its quite a few of them hovering around that 2-3rd area, might be an andy dalton in the bunch.

Tannehill is going in the top 20. So you aint really warm on him if you are going to say you wouldn't get him in the 1st or should I say with our 1st pick.

I don't see what everyone sees in Tannehill. I don't even see what makes him better than Mark Sanchez was a few years ago.

I think you got to look at him play and how he operates to get a good gadge. With Tannehill he came into a QBing in a pro system and it takes time to get entune with WRs and line when its a Pro style. He looks the part with Elite quility to him.

I don't think you can compare the two. For one Tannehill was Johnson's best WR. Another thing is Tannehill has traits of NFL QB that Johnson just don't have. For one Tannehill is Elite in pocket presence and has the Elite anticapation and better zip on the ball. With Tannehill people got to look at substance more than production with him. I would take Tannehill over Barkley or Jones though. I have to see Barkley vs a defense that can keep up with his weapons. I know he has that IT factor but I got to see how he does vs top talent.

You ABSOLUTELY can compare the 2, they played for the same coach, with the same system, for the same team, in the same conference at the same time. Just so happens everybody's All-American couldnt sniff the field for 2.5yrs while undrafted Jerrod Johnson was at the helm. If Tannehill had better NFL QB traits and he ran an NFL offense for an NFL coach, but couldnt start over a guy who was an NFL undrafted FA. Does that NOT tell you anything? aTm was PLENTY loaded at WR that if Tannehill actually was the better option at QB he could have been there earlier. Jeff Fuller aTm's ALL TIME receptions & yds leader happened to be on those teams as well. Ryan Swope who should challenge to break Fuller's records was on that team as well.

No Tannehill played WR more because Johnson beat him out, than it was Tannehill was some receiving savant. In Fact Tannehill had the opportunity to take the starting gig when Stephen McGee went down early in 2008, Johnson beat him out. Coming into 2009 at spring camp, Tannehill had the opportunity to beat out Johnson again, but again Johnson beat him out. Same story in 2010, except this time with his coaches job on the line and Johnson stinking up the place playing with an injured shoulder, Sherman throws in Tannehill vs TexTech. They then beat a slumping Oklahoma team, lit up a bad Baylor defense, caught 2 more slumping teams (Nebby & Texas), then Tannehill got humbled vs LSU.

This year everybody's ALL American put up big games against teams like who ranked no higher than 71st in Pass Def, and his biggest games came vs teams that allowed 400+yd passers more than once. Okla, Baylor, OkSt, Idaho, NW, Mizzou. I got news for u if you think going over 300yds vs those teams seems special, its not. The biggie in the group Oklahoma gave up 450+yds passing 2x and was 15yds shy of giving up 500yds. When Mr Tannehill faced top 40 rated pass Defenses (Tex & Arky) He looked like a WR playing QB, avg statline: 22.5-42 52.5% 235yds 1td 2ints.

Mike Sherman knows a thing or 2 about QBs ya know. He like umm coached Brett Favre for awhile, Aaron Rodgers too ;). So this man who has been intimate in both selecting the best QB of today AND getting the most out of the Best QB b4 him. He thought Jerrod Johnson was a better QB for 2.5yrs. But hey maybe its "hidden" potential. Imma trust Sherman over us fans who havent coached a HOF QB b4 or drafted the best one in the game

Tannehill is Rob Johnson 2.0 to me. The only way he can succeed is to develop for 3years as a bacjup, which means he would need to go to a team with an established QB, which means it wouldnt be anyone drafting high in the 1st. Put it this way Ryan Mallet is 4x the QB Tannehill is and went in the 3rd. Ohhh but someone will fall in love, and someone will be pissed that either their team so crappy that their golden boy gets punch drunk and trigger shy, OR by the time the kid has had the needed seasoning (yrs4-5), he'll be hitting the FA mkt with just 1-2yrs of production. So they either gotta franchise a guy that may have at max 1-2yrs production and 3 yrs of awful or let him walk to a team able to get him as he is entering his productive stage. Me personally I see him as Rob Johnson 2.0, Mr Uber Athletic, will tease you with promis but in the end be what he is....................a backup

Archived