Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Report: Redskins Fred Davis to get tagged (CSN Washington)

The Mayor of Fed Ex Field

I think once tagged, you have a window to work out a long term contract. After that closes, you cant negotiate and looks like free agency cause you cant franchise back to back years anymore in the new CBA

Correct.

Which is exactly why whomever is traded Freddy or LaRon

will be traded, so you don't lose him for nothing that following season and get zero compensation.

(presuming they don't sign a long-term extension, which is also possible)

If Fred Davis is franchised

He will either be traded to Move up in the draft for RG3

or traded outright to some team for a draft pick(s)

absolutely,i think they were both truly embarassed by this mess. they both took thier medicine like men and i think are ready to put it behind them.

Not unexpected.

As big a bonehead, to be polite, as he's been, he's still our biggest offensive threat and one of the better pass catching TE's league wide. And I have little to no doubt Shanahan will of torn both him and Williams a new one and then some behind closed doors for the message to finally get through. I don't foresee either putting this team at risk again.

Taking that on face value, that's one less worry this MASSIVE off-season.

Hail.

Correct.

will be traded, so you don't lose him for nothing that following season and get zero compensation.

You bring up an interesting point Missouri but take into account that we'd never heard anything about player's being swapped had Fisher not made his intentions known.

But nonetheless, being that Fisher and Shanahan are well-known friends... it's worth having each other's ears.

While I know this is tough not to get tied, quite reasonably, to a number of comments about Landry, I want to give props to those doing their best to keep Davis and other matters as much on top of this conversation and Landry as minimal as they have been (said, hopefully obviously, because Landry has other threads where his situation has been rehashed to death and beyond already).

Way to go,team! :point2sky

:D

Correct.

I dont see anyone trading for said player. Can a NEW team re-franchise that player if they trade for a franchised player?? I dont know that. You still have a window to trade (up to week 6) and maybe the same as signing long term deal. The trade partner would have to be 100% commited to that player cause why would they run the same risk of not getting anything following year?? You would still get a compensatory pick if they leave following year....

I dont see anyone trading for said player. Can a NEW team re-franchise that player if they trade for a franchised player?? I dont know that. You still have a window to trade (up to week 6) and maybe the same as signing long term deal. The trade partner would have to be 100% commited to that player cause why would they run the same risk of not getting anything following year?? You would still get a compensatory pick if they leave following year....

I believe part of the trade can be on the condition, that Fred Davis signs a long term deal with said traded team.

So the trade wouldn't be official, until soon after Fred Davis signed a 4 yr-33 million dollar deal. (hypothetical contract) with the Rams.

It would be part of the contractual agreement I believe.

They also know he will save them a ton in draft picks, to move up for RG3.

Nothing is official yet, but i would be planning on the guy being Franchise tagged (be it Landry or Davis) will be used as ammo to trade up for Robert Griffin lll.

While it is always a possibility, I can't see a team lacking in play makers on offense would trade one of their few playmakers. RG3 needs someone to throw to.

So you ask...why the Redskins trade him, if he' so good?

Because the risk of keeping Fred Davis & risking another doping incident & 1 yr suspension is not worth the value of the Redskins landing a Top 3 Blue Chip franchise QB as gifted as RG3.

Only a risk if you think he will do it again. Jared Allen had something similar when he was traded. He has since kept his nose clean and is one of the most dominant DEs out there. I also don't think Davis' value is nearly as high as Allen's at that time.

Specially when you still have a 2-time Pro Bowl TE in Chris Cooley still on the roster.

A very efficient TE in Logan Paulson on the roster.

Personally, I have some doubts about Cooley being the prime TE target nowadays, since he's now ended two seasons on IR. Paulson is a solid blocking TE and that's about it.

And players such as 6'6" Stanford TE such as a Coby Fleener who could be had in 2nd or 3rd rd.

A draft pick we probably don't have....had we not traded Fred Davis with a Tag in the move up.

If in the end you are breaking even (which is where I think the value is in Davis above), you are probably better off keeping the player.

We'll see what happens. If he does end up with a long-term deal, all this talk about trading him is moot.

Just curious as to your views on this package:

2012 1st + Fred Davis + 2012 3rd + 2013 1st and 2013 3rd ..... Is that enough/about right to exchange for #2 which the Rams hold?... Or too much? Too little?

Too much IMO, unless there's a bidding war going on. Contrary to popular and borderline paranoid belief, there may not be a big bidding war for the #2 pick. Miami could stick with Moore or bring in Flynn (Green Bay's OC is now their HC), Cleveland is reported to be sticking with McCoy and wanting to bring in a vet for competition to push him, they can't afford a big bidding war because their team needs resources for many positions, they have management that is typically against giving up draft picks, and are also reportedly content to stay at pick 4 and if RG3 fals to them then they'd take him. Seattle is further down the draft order and may be content with Tavaris and improving their team elsewhere, but cannot outbid the Skins.

Just a guess, but I don't think davis is being tagged for a trade. I think he's being tagged because of the suspension, and I believe had he not been suspended and now 1 bad test away from a year long suspension that the Skins would have negotiated a contract extension with him. I believe the tag is merely meant as trial period for Davis.

I think a trade for #2 is most likely to only involve picks, and I believe a swap of 1sts, our 2nd rounder, one of our 4ths, and a 2nd rounder next year will get the deal done.

I'm starting to believe also that if Peyton does come to DC that it means the Skins won't trade up for RG3 but instead will try to trade down to get more picks and load up the team for Manning, and then look to draft a QB in the next draft.

Just a guess, but I don't think davis is being tagged for a trade. I think he's being tagged because of the suspension, and I believe had he not been suspended and now 1 bad test away from a year long suspension that the Skins would have negotiated a contract extension with him. I believe the tag is merely meant as trial period for Davis.

Remember also that there is a period of time that the player and the organization can negotiate and drop the tag, so I wouldn't guarantee that he plays on a one year franchise tag. Certainly of the players who are going to be FAs, he's the one most deserving of the tag.

I'm starting to believe also that if Peyton does come to DC that it means the Skins won't trade up for RG3 but instead will try to trade down to get more picks and load up the team for Manning, and then look to draft a QB in the next draft.

Might also happen if we don't end up having the ammo to go up to get him. I expect we will be signing a vet QB of some sort, since I don't expect that Shanahan would be fully comfortable going into the draft with just Grossman and Beck. (Course, I thought that way last year as well....)

This will be a good solid move by the FO if true.

I hope that this is not an indication of a trade, but rather a move that it will force him to prove himself as a reliable team player, before any talk of a multi-year deal.

We all want play makers on the team, and IMO Davis is one. He had a shot at a 1000yd season had he played in the last four games, I hope that he stays here and has many 1000yd seasons.

Shanny shouldn't even be thinking of trading him even if we get RG3. He's arguable the best play maker we have and I like Rg3 but he had Wright to toy with defenses. We get rid of Davis and I see what happened to McCoy taking some kind of effect on RG3. Cam had Smith, and RG3 needs Davis and whoever we get this offseason. If we are thinking of trading a TE, then Cooley/Paulsen

Don't know the exact rules, but if we franchise him this year, we either can't franchise him again or his franchise tag price next year goes way up. I'm sure he doesn't want to sign a 1 year deal and then get franchised next year..ultimately these guys want a long term deal to guarantee as much $$ as possible.

Can you sign a contract that prevents the team from franchising you after the expiration of the contract? Maybe not technically, but the other option would be a two year deal as such:

Year 1: 5.5 mil gauranteed

Year 2: Non-gauranteed bonus 15 mil, salary 5.5 million

You would basically be gauranteeing that you would either cut the player before year 2 or renegotiate a long term deal....

They also know he will save them a ton in draft picks, to move up for RG3.

Nothing is official yet, but i would be planning on the guy being Franchise tagged (be it Landry or Davis) will be used as ammo to trade up for Robert Griffin lll.

If Davis is the one getting tagged, then someone between the Colts, Rams or Vikings want Fred Davis. Just make your deductions from there.

Uhh, here's a deduction... maybe the REDSKINS want Davis, hence the tag.

If those other teams want him they (technically) could sign him, as he is a free agent. hell they still could, they'd just have to give up some compensation for him.

• 3 weeks later...

I did a quick look around for my answer but could not find it. Perhaps one of you could provide me with an answer.

To my understanding:

A) the deadline to apply the Franchise Tag to a player is Monday March 5.

B) the start of the new NFL calendar year is begins Tuesday March 13.

Question.

If a player is tagged with such tag.....Can that player be signed within the 8 day time frame to a contact extension, in which the culb can now use the tag on another player?

Example: (Landry haters need not get angry lol)

Davis gets tagged before the deadline. Davis then signs a deal before the 13th (new calendar year). Skins now tag Landry.

Possible?

Question: Now that Davis has put himself in the position of season long suspension upon another failed test...does that mean he's in that position forever? Is there a 'cool off' period? Or is he forever on the 'one more strike you're done for the year' position?

Is there anything in the new CBA that states if player X goes so many years without a substance abuse violation he won't automatically get the one year susupension? Basically, if Fred and Trent go a couple years without issue but all of a sudden relapse (2015 hypothetically) will they get the year off regardless?

Archived