Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Peyton Manning medically cleared to resume NFL career (multi-merged---see the latest Manning rumors/"me too" articles here)

mzkp54

I feel this argument is spot on. If healthy, Manning has at best 4-5 years of football left in him, and I'm sure he's not interested in spending those years on a rebuilding team. If released, he's going to want to go somewhere that's ready to make a Super Bowl run now with the only missing puzzle piece being that of a QB. I'm thinking Chiefs, Dolphins, 49ers, or Cardinals. Other QB needy teams like the Jets and Seahawks have too inept of coaching for it to work. I think Peyton would consider other teams before the Redskins.

The only thing that would put the Skins in the picture is $$$$$$$$$ and nothing more.

Manning wants another ring; especially if his brother wins on Sunday. NY Jets, which has his former coach: Tom Moore would be the #1 destination for him. Manning would help that franchise overcome Rex's coaching. Can you imagine a Manning-Manning Superbowl in New York in 2 years? After the Skins making it of course; I wouldn't mind seeing matchup. Manning and the Jets vs. Manning and the Giants. Even sweeter, Skins beat the Manning led Giants at their stadium to go the superbowl and face Manning's Jets at their stadium and beat them. Of course, I don't expect us to be anywhere near superbowl ready in 2 years.

This would be Fitz if that happened: :jump::party::wavetowel
Fitz has supposedly already recruited Manning to play there. And some officials within the organization probably feel that he could do for them what Warner did a few years ago.

---------- Post added February-3rd-2012 at 03:13 AM ----------

this is Great news for the Skins....that's a better chance now to trade for Luck, RGIII, or even Peyton if we miss out on those 2
NO CHANCE Peyton is traded to ANYONE. Read today that if he were to be traded, then Irsay would have to pay him the 28 million. Not happening.

---------- Post added February-3rd-2012 at 03:13 AM ----------

there's a slight chance Indy keeps Peyton and still draft Luck but the smart thing to do is keep Peyton and trade their #1 pick for lots of starters and draft picks(and still draft Tanneyhill this year or trade back up for Barkley/Landry next year). The colts just need alot of help and having both Luck and Peyton is not going to be an option for them.

all I know is Irsay has a migraine right now :)

Irsay has already stated that he isn't trading the #1 pick.

---------- Post added February-3rd-2012 at 03:17 AM ----------

peyton an wayne are going to arizona to team up with fitz, breaston, beanie an williams. Why wld he cme here when he could choose for himself, once released, to go to arizona?
Breaston is in KC, dude. Way to keep up with things. LOL

---------- Post added February-3rd-2012 at 03:19 AM ----------

Peyton over Elway? You can easily make the argument that Peyton is the best QB ever
Uh, no. Top 5, sure. Best? X.

The nerve still hasn't regenerated.

Funny how this came out now when he's due that 28 mil next month.

Great way to over shine the SB too.

Good thing our FO is more capable of making a correct decision. Vinster would have thrown out the Med. file and slipped Dan a contract to sign, press hard the third copy is yours. If the Redskins sign Peyton I am at least confident that Shanahan and Bruce would have gone through all the information.

The nerve still hasn't regenerated.

Funny how this came out now when he's due that 28 mil next month.

Great way to over shine the SB too.

Meaning he's trying everything he can to get that $28 million before it turns out he can't play? Because if he can play, and he's released anyway (denied the 28 mil), then wouldn't he be looking forward to a similar payday from whoever signs him anyway?

Unless Peyton thinks the Colts would be dumb enough to still pay him with the same bad nerve, I don't really see the angle.

At least now maybe people will stfu about NE and NY for a little while on Sirius NFL. I'm so tired of hearing how many different ways to view one game for two weeks. I'd rather hear about Peyton, and that's saying something. I hope we don't get him, but I'm glad to hear Peyton isn't done. I hope he kicks ass wherever he goes.

That being said, can you imagine the depression Brett Favre is having right now? Peyton hath replaced him.

20120203-102643.jpg

Let’s just be honest for a minute, I can be a sucker for the things I love.

My wife and daughter are well aware of this fact, and can pretty much get away with anything. “Honey I need this new watch” . . . OK, “Daddy I want a pony”. . . OK.

Sadly, I am pretty sure Dan Snyder has cashed in on my suckerism as well.

“Hey look fans, a Donovan McNabb Jersey”. . . OK, “Buy your new Albert Haynesworth Jersey”….OK.

This team has been so bad that when we see big names, a lot of us just can’t help, but jump at the excitement and what if’s that come with a new player acquisition. We did it with Deion, Bruce, Donovan, Fat Albert, Adam Archuletta, Randel El, the list goes on.

Every Year the ‘what if’ somehow overrides what we know is a TERRIBLE idea – and this year, a week before the Super Bowl, the Suckerism in Redskins Nation is already spreading like the Black Plague.

Yesterday, news broke that Peyton Manning was cleared to play, and amid all the rumors from ESPN regarding Peyton to DC (thanks a lot Stink) Redskins went into Defcon 5.

“Look a shiny new Peyton Manning Jersey”. . . OK.

For a team that has been so absolutely terrible at QB and in search of a franchise guy since the early 90’s, it’s easy to see the name Peyton Manning and to start making a place on the shelf for that fourth Lombardi Trophy.

Let me for a minute be the voice of reason here.

While it is super fun to think about Peyton Manning in the Burgundy and Gold, and it definitely would be AWESOME for dominating your Cowboy loving friends in Madden 13, the truth is it’s a HORRIBLE IDEA.

That’s right, I said it . . . the Redskins need to stay away from arguably the best quarterback I have seen in my lifetime.

The truth of the matter is, Peyton is not a fit for what Mike Shanahan does on offense…at all.

Even before the injury, Manning was considered at best immobile. The fact that he runs in slow motion makes him ineffective in a zone blocking, QB boot offense. Shanahan needs a guy who can move the pocket and find new throwing lanes for receivers that would be covered from the angle he sees in the pocket.

This offense is all about throwing lanes and creating new ones off the QB boot. I don’t believe that Peyton has the kind of mobility that this system needs.

More importantly, Manning and Shanahan are BOTH control freaks. For Peyton’s entire career, he has had complete control over the offense in Indy at the line of scrimmage. Let’s be honest, watching him run a no huddle and switching everyone’s assignments at the line is a thing of absolute beauty, but I just don’t see Shanahan letting that fly.

Continue Reading Here

From what I've been reading being cleared to play does not mean the same as being effective like he once was. The nerve damage has caused weakness in his throwing arm. It could be perfectly safe for him to play, but it may not be the same ole Manning. Guess next comes the throwing tests. I still think its a long shot Indy pays him that bonus.

100% agree. I think a lot of people don't understand this right now. The concern should be the strength in his arm. I heard he is throwing at about 20% of his previous ability.

100% agree. I think a lot of people don't understand this right now. The concern should be the strength in his arm. I heard he is throwing at about 20% of his previous ability.

I don't think anyone knows how strong it is.

And as shocking as it may sound, Peyton Manning is probably going to have to pass a tryout, along with a physical, before he is signed. You need to see him throw a few 9 routes before anything happens.

It can and will get better with Rehab, you people have to stop under estimating Peyton Manning he is a tough SOB.

rd421 is so off base...shanny will fit his system to the best qb possible h said it himself...peyton wont have to run that long stretch play alot here because if you havent noticed...the last 8 games the only run plays were were doing was a pitch zone read, the qb pitched it to helu/whoever and it was their job to either get the edge or the cut back lane...and every team in te league runs play action, if your honestly going to tell me that peyton cant run a bootleg, your high....obviosly ot needs to be well blocked, but we should want everything to be well blocked thats y we need to address the oline as well!...so yes, peyton could put in work on out team behind the

shannys...i rspect your opinion tho

Irsay has come out and said the Colts have not cleared Manning to play.

I know some are going to jump on Irsay for making this statement, but Peyton did the same thing leaking that story to Mortenson. And at least Irsay said it himself instead of going through an in between like Peyton did.

Rebutting an ESPN report from Thursday evening, owner Jim Irsay tweeted early Friday that the Colts have not medically cleared Peyton Manning (neck surgeries) to play football in 2012.

It's clearer now than ever that Manning's camp fed ESPN's Chris Mortensen the news of his supposed medical clearance. "Peyton has not passed our physical," says Irsay, "nor has he been cleared to play for the Colts. Team statement coming on Friday." Colts doctors are reportedly worried about the nerves in Manning's neck and triceps. While Peyton is notifying interested teams he's healthy, the Colts still need the medical excuse to decline his $28M bonus.

Source: Jim Irsay on Twitter

Feb 3 - 2:06 AM

I dont understand why everyone is so sold on RGIII and does not want Payton. If we get RGIII we are gonna lose out on alot of potential future players because what we will have to trade to get him. If we get Payton we can draft the third best QB on the board by trading down and in the process pick up some picks. Payton can mentor teh QB we get over the next 2 or 3 years. It would be just like Farve and Rodgers. If my memory serves me right Rodgers was the 16th pick. About the same location we would get the third best QB in this draft. Bring Payton to DC!!!!

I don't know why everyone is sold on Tannehill. He's a converted WR. You spelled Peyton wrong and Rodgers was the 24th pick, one ahead of Jason Campbell.

By the way, Irsay is a complete idiot.

It would serve him so right for Luck to refuse to play for the guy.

All Peyton has done is make you relevant and you won't even do the guy the favor of handling this situation properly.

Irsay is a lucky ****... you know he drafted Elway too? Elway refused to play for him and that's how he ended up with the Broncos.

I'd love to see Luck pull an Eli on Irsay.. lol

Interesting article

Well, here at the Super Site, I' got the chance to talk to several NFL and Dolphins sources Thursday evening and everyone tells me the Dolphins definitely will be making the play for Manning. Secondly, I come to find out Manning is something of a South Florida fan.

A club source told me Thursday evening that Manning has indicated several times during his career an affinity for the region and most recently put his money where his mouth his in that he and his wife bought a condo on South Beach. The name of the condo is Continuum.

"His wife is also a big fan of the area," the source told me. "He likes the area. He likes the vibe of the area more than you might think. They own a condo down here. And no other team that could be trying to sign him will be able to say that."

Don't believe all you read, a lot is coming from ulterior motives in mind.

I would share the same advice with you. There is spin from both sides.

The only thing for sure is that the Colts did not IR Manning because there was hope that he could play in 2011. He was not able to recover in time, so something is not yet fully healed.

By the way, Irsay is a complete idiot.

It would serve him so right for Luck to refuse to play for the guy.

All Peyton has done is make you relevant and you won't even do the guy the favor of handling this situation properly.

Even if Luck refused to play there the Colts are still gonna get a king's ransom for the #1 pick. So I'm not sure what you're talking about here.

And how has he mishandled anything? It's his perogative if he wants to fire the GM. The head coach (who definitely should have been canned), or anyone else he wants to get rid of. About the only thing I can really get on him about is the stupid twitter thing. He shouldn't be on it. At least not using it the way he does.

Irsay is a lucky ****... you know he drafted Elway too? Elway refused to play for him and that's how he ended up with the Broncos.

I'd love to see Luck pull an Eli on Irsay.. lol

Actually it was Daddy (Robert Irsay) who was the owner when Elway was drafted. The Colts were still in Baltimore.

But I must admit, part of me is glad that Peyton's not done. He's fun to watch, and I'm kind of looking forward to seeing Joe Montana 2.0 in action.

I think he ends up with a big market team somewhere. Imagine Manning on the Jets? Peyton and Eli both in NY, Peyton in the AFCE with Brady? That would be fantastic.

peyton on the jets would be amazing.

I don't know why everyone is sold on Tannehill. He's a converted WR. You spelled Peyton wrong and Rodgers was the 24th pick, one ahead of Jason Campbell.

Tannehill is not a converted WR. He was a QB through high school, was recruited to College as a QB and was converted to WR from QB for two years and then back to QB where he started for a year and a half. He is certainly raw, but it's not like he never played QB before last year.

For what it's worth. Here's a read...

Mythbusting: Redskins and Peyton Manning

February, 2, 2012

Feb 2

3:10 PM ET

By Dan Graziano

INDIANAPOLIS -- Somebody wanted a Washington Redskins post. Hey, so do I. But when nothing's going on, nothing's going on. It hasn't been this hard to find Redskins topics since the lockout. But after I got back from the Madonna news conference, I found this item from the Washington Examiner, which attempts to shoot down all of the silly reasons people are coming up with to insist that either the Redskins won't pursue Peyton Manning or that he wouldn't want to play for them.

It's well done, especially insofar as it addresses flimsy, eight-year-old speculation that Manning wouldn't want to play in the same division as his brother. (Seriously, people. Do you think that's really still true if it ever was? Both guys are pretty well established at this point.) But this is the one I really want to address specifically:

5. The Redskins don't do business this way anymore » This one is true. But isn't the clock ticking on the Shanahan regime? And doesn't the owner have an itch he's dying to scratch?

I don't think the clock is, actually, ticking on the Mike Shanahan regime. He's entering the third-year of a five-year contract, and the aforementioned owner has, to this point, kept his contractual promise to remain in the background and allow Shanahan and Bruce Allen to build the team their way. There's nothing to indicate that's about to change.

Furthermore, signing Manning wouldn't represent a reversion by the Redskins to their "old way" of doing business. It would, if Manning is healthy, potentially represent the best possible short-term solution to their biggest short-term problem. They need a quarterback, Rex Grossman and John Beck aren't good enough, and even if they were, the two of them together aren't half as good as Peyton Bleeping Manning.

And yes, quarterback is a long-term problem for the Redskins, too. Signing Manning wouldn't help that. But if Shanahan can't find his franchise quarterback in this year's draft or free-agent market, what's so wrong about filling the Redskins' many other needs via those avenues and bringing in one of the best quarterbacks in the game to hold the place until they find the franchise guy?

All I know is, it's a weird world when people are thinking up reasons their team shouldn't want Peyton Manning. If he's healthy, he's going to help someone win games next year. Why wouldn't you want it to be your team?

Archived