Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jets players want Manning not Sanchez- What value is there in Sanchez

The Hangman- C_Hanburger

Is there a difference between Rex Grossman and Mark Sanchez? We'd be giving up picks for the EXACT kind of player we already have on our roster. I'd rather take an unknown in the 2nd round or whatever.

Sanchez has a better arm. He's more mobile. He's younger.

There's differences.

So a question for those who seem to be unwilling to consider any scenario except drafting Griffin - what's your plan if the sky falls and we can't get him? Single Wing?

Actually, yes. Sorta. Helu and Royster in the back field and Brandon Banks in shotgun.

It does work in Madden if you use the proper playbook. I've tried lol.

Lol at people who don't want Sanchez. We started Rex and Beck. We have zero room to talk when it comes to QBs.

If the Jets will take a fourth rounder, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

There's no way that trade would happen in a million years, but in my opinion, I'd rather use that 4th rounder on Kellen Moore, or Kirk Cousins, or Russell Wilson for that matter, because I'm in favor of drafting two qbs in April.

Mark Sanchez is an NFL backup. That's the quality of player he is.

We've already got a backup-quality player on our roster -- and this one knows our system well and plays for the league minimum (what's Sanchez' cap number? huge, right?).

So, all that money you'd have to pay Sanchez, I'm going to use that to sign Dwayne Bowe and an interior lineman.

Then I get two qbs in the draft, keep rexy around as the veteran who knows the offense, and go from there.

---------- Post added January-11th-2012 at 03:03 PM ----------

So a question for those who seem to be unwilling to consider any scenario except drafting Griffin - what's your plan if the sky falls and we can't get him? Single Wing?

Well, as the senior bowl coach, Shanny will have a good long look at Kirk Cousins, Nick Foles, Ryan Lindley, Kellen Moore, Russell Wilson, and Brandon Wheeden.

Identify the one you like out of them (along with tannehill in the mix), and pull the trigger.

Let me rephase then - it can happen its just very very unlikely to happen.

If you are the Rams why would you trade out of the #2 pick so far before the draft and before the Colts show their hand?

First off, the Colts show their hand as soon as they decide on Manning's bonus. Second of all, this is dependent on circumstances, and I believe this year's may dictate that the smart thing to do is move that pick early. Namely:

1. You have a coveted QB prospect (Griffin, obviously) who's rights are effectively held by a team with no interest in him, and then a huge gulf between said prospect and the next best QB- and I don't care how much people want to talk up Ryan Tannehill, the gulf between Griffin and the 3rd best QB is absolutely huge.

2. The four teams named as most likely to be QB shopping (Washington, Cleveland, Miami and Seattle) all are in no position to be patient. They all need to have a QB in place this year, and not play 'wait till next year'.

3. You have the most interesting FA QB class I can remember. Manning, obviously, Flynn regardless of how much people want to dismiss the idea, is someone teams will be very interested in.You have Matt Moore and how he played at the end of the year. You have a couple of really solid vets in Campbell and Orton who are still fairly young. Then you have a couple of interesting young guys in Henne and Johnson. And you also have Brian Hoyer in New England, who could be an interesting trade target.

What those things add up to to me is teams that could be very interested in Griffin, but who can't just sit back till draft day to see if they're gonna get him. And that have other options they could turn to before. I think you could see team throwing offeres their way early and letting them know that if they don't make a decision, those bidding teams will pull out and move on to other options.

So, it's very possible that waiting until draft day means losing multiple bidders and possibly destroying their trade market.

Many ppl seen this coming a long time ago.. its funny to see how things have been unraveling.

I agree that the Jets have problems, but not sure how much of this is just perception. The team just snuck into the playoffs in 2009 as the #6 seed. They appeared to be aided by the fact their last two games (Indi, Cinci) were against teams that were not trying at all (both had clinched their playoff spots). The next year they bounced up to 11-5, but were still no better than the #6 seed. They seemed to benefit from an extraordinary lucky year from Sanchez, who benefited from the most "dropped interceptions" in the league. This year they went 8-8 and finished just outside the playoffs.

If they were not from New York and didn't win some well-timed playoff games, we'd see them as a team that finished 6th, 6th, and 7th in the AFC the last three years. That strikes me as virtually the same team. The perception of them seems way distorted to the reality. Of course now that they didn't live up to unrealistic expectations, there's some bickering and problems cropping to the service. That might have always been there, just disguised by a few timely wins. Or it just might be the result of not improving at all in three years. And yes, the large part of that falls on Sanchez.

---------- Post added January-11th-2012 at 04:04 PM ----------

Do we know Griffin is a franchise QB? One year in a spread? Maybe he is. Kid from Ok St. looked just as good everytime I saw him, he is not considered one. Kellen Moore looks better every time he is on the field, he's not one. If he falls to us, fine. All-in-For him, I don't know man.

No one knows anything for sure. But Griffin is much, much more likely to actually develop into one. Look at the last decade of NFL drafts. Virtually no one outside the top 32 picks developed into a franchise QB. Of those picked in the first round, many also busted. But its more of a situation where if you don't take a Griffin, the odds of finding a franchise QB are extremely low. If you do, the odds are nowhere near 100%, but they're significantly higher. Griffin is not an Andrew Luck level QB propsect, but I think you can reasonably claim odds are 50/50 or better he becomes a franchise guy. For a guy like Weedon or Moore, the odds are less than 5% (probably closer to 1%).

There's a pretty good chance Griffin is not a franchise QB. But there's also a pretty good chance he is. With the other names, you'd have to defy some long odds to become that guy. So you can either risk a lot on a reasonable bet, or risk a little on a longshot.

First off, the Colts show their hand as soon as they decide on Manning's bonus. Second of all, this is dependent on circumstances, and I believe this year's may dictate that the smart thing to do is move that pick early. Namely:

Thats possibly the case but not certainly. Its quite possible from a cap persepctive for the Colts to keep Manning and pick Luck, its not what I would do but its totally possible. Until the Cots take Luck or make it totally clear they are taking Luck that pick is still in play.

3. You have the most interesting FA QB class I can remember. Manning, obviously, Flynn regardless of how much people want to dismiss the idea, is someone teams will be very interested in.You have Matt Moore and how he played at the end of the year. You have a couple of really solid vets in Campbell and Orton who are still fairly young. Then you have a couple of interesting young guys in Henne and Johnson. And you also have Brian Hoyer in New England, who could be an interesting trade target.

I think Flynn should be given a long look in evaluation and if Manning does come on the market that might be a game changer - I think we would be players for example. The rest of the guys available are retreads of totally unproven. Freeagency might take one or maybe two QB needy teams out of the bidding for the number 2 pick but the teams left without a clear starter still suddenly become much more in need of a trade up and the value of the pick goes up.

So, it's very possible that waiting until draft day means losing multiple bidders and possibly destroying their trade market.

There is certainly risk in waiting but IMO there is much greater risk of settling for less value in moving the pick early. I would be amazed if the Rams traded the pick before free agency for example.

I love that the Jets are having these issues. I can't stand Rex Ryan or anyone related to Buddy Ryan in the coaching ranks :-). It goes all the way back to the body bag game. the Jets used to practice at my Alma Matre and they paiid for the fields and maintained the upkeep. When they left, the football program was shut down a few years later. That's just adding fuel to the fire!

I don't understand the Sanchez hate.

He puts up respectable numbers in a crappy offense that the coordinator resigned and the WRs complained about

I'd love to see what the Shanahans could do with him

Price is the issue though and I don't think I'd give up more than a 3rd rounder

I don't understand the Sanchez hate.

Yeah me neither, the guy is young, has already cut his teeth in some damn big games on a big stage and could be had at a huge discount from NY. Signing or trading for him would be a brilliant move that would provide us with the ability to wait on forcing the QB issue until a later date assuming we would prefer to continue the rebuild rather than forcing ourselves into a desperate position should we be picking the 3rd one off the board. Rex/Beck/Sanchez would be a great scenario for Mark to prove himself in camp. He clearly has a better arm than the other two and would most likely come in here hungry to salvage his career.

Yeah me neither, the guy is young, has already cut his teeth in some damn big games on a big stage and could be had at a huge discount from NY. Signing or trading for him would be a brilliant move that would provide us with the ability to wait on forcing the QB issue until a later date assuming we would prefer to continue the rebuild rather than forcing ourselves into a desperate position should we be picking the 3rd one off the board. Rex/Beck/Sanchez would be a great scenario for Mark to prove himself in camp. He clearly has a better arm than the other two and would most likely come in here hungry to salvage his career.

Whoa there, I don't know about Beck, lol. I'd hope in a Sanchez scenario, the Redskins at least take another QB in the draft

Thats possibly the case but not certainly. Its quite possible from a cap persepctive for the Colts to keep Manning and pick Luck, its not what I would do but its totally possible. Until the Cots take Luck or make it totally clear they are taking Luck that pick is still in play.

It makes zero sense for them to have both on the roster next year, football-wise, cap-wise or financially. The only way it happens is if Irsay is loses his mind. They almost certainly won't pay it, Manning will be a FA and Luck can start house hunting in Indy. On the off chance they do pay it, the bidding for the pick will start.

I think Flynn should be given a long look in evaluation and if Manning does come on the market that might be a game changer - I think we would be players for example. The rest of the guys available are retreads of totally unproven. Freeagency might take one or maybe two QB needy teams out of the bidding for the number 2 pick but the teams left without a clear starter still suddenly become much more in need of a trade up and the value of the pick goes up.

Again, there are only 4 teams I think would consider a move up for Griffin. Many others would be glad to pick him, but I really can't think of another team that would consider paying the price to move up and get him. It makes no sense for anyone outside of those 4. And we don't even know that all of the 4 would do it. Cleveland could easily decide to stick with McCoy or Miami with Moore.

But assume it is those 4. If Flynn and Manning take 2 of them out of the market, it shouldn't need to be explained what that does to the market. And you're assuimg whoever is left will be desperate. That's why I mentioned those other players. Whoever is left would certainly line up a veteran plan B and probably spend a lot of time looking at the likes of Tannehill and Foles. So, they would reach draft day maybe still willing to make a reasonable offer for RG3, but content enough with their other options to pass if the price got too high.

There is certainly risk in waiting but IMO there is much greater risk of settling for less value in moving the pick early. I would be amazed if the Rams traded the pick before free agency for example.

I doubt it would happen before free agency starts, but I'll be at the least a bit surprised if the pick hasn't been moved by early April.

If I can get the flux capacitor working, I'll fire up the wayback machine and go back to 2009 where half of ES wanted to trade the entire draft and two or three first round picks to get Sanchez. I remember those same people extolling the genius of the Jets for trading draft picks to move up to number 5 and steal him away from the rest of the NFL.

Yeah, I remember the talk of how much better of a pro he'd be than Stafford.

I don't think Sanchez has the football IQ to be a good QB, at least not consistently.

I have never watched a Jets game and felt that Sanchez looks confident/comfortable. His best throws are usually due to his receivers. Like, he'll throw a fade route and the receiver will snatch it and it looks good, but not difficult. I always thought he has sucked. The Jets win games when he doesn't mess up, not when he leads them. He doesn't have the leadership skills, work ethic, or IQ of a good QB. He is holding the Jets back and if they are smart, they will start looking for other options at QB, maybe even drafting one.

Just because a team has drafted a QB in the 1st round should not make them obligated to ride it out with him, especially when he shows no signs of improvement. None.

I would rather roll with Grossman than him, because with Rex, we know he is just a stop gap until we find our guy. Also, Rex seems like a cool dude and Sanchez is a complete douche.

Yeah, I remember the talk of how much better of a pro he'd be than Stafford.

I don't think Sanchez has the football IQ to be a good QB, at least not consistently.

But let's be honest Stafford has it pretty easy throwing it up to Megatron. And he still have Pett and other WRs too.

Archived