Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Jerry Jones: GM would clutter process

Big Blue Joe

More at the link

Jerry Jones, the NFL's only owner/general manager, won't even consider changing the structure of the Dallas Cowboys' front office, despite the fact that disappointing seasons have been the norm since the franchise's mid-1990s dynasty died.

"The facts are that I've spent 22 years doing this exactly the same way," Jones said Tuesday on KRLD-FM. "I've made a lot of changes from year to year as time goes along, but frankly, I know that when we do not have the kind of success, when we don't have expectations lived up to, the one that should get the most heat is the one that ultimately makes the decisions, period, with the Dallas Cowboys. And that's me."

Jones dismissed the idea of hiring a general manager from outside the organization, such as Bill Polian after the Indianapolis Colts fired the architect of their Super Bowl team. Jones emphasized that he uses information from many different sources to make football decisions.

In Jones' mind, adding a general manager to the payroll would clutter the decision-making process, not improve it.

"The thing you've got to realize is that when you have an owner that is full-time as the owner, then you create a situation where you have as much turnover at GM as you do at the coaching level," Jones said. "And I think that just deters from the mix."

Man, do I love this guy's arrogance. Please don't ever stop Jerry.

The Cowboys just completed an 8-8 season in which they beat only one team that finished .500 or better. But Jones believes his team was talented enough to make a playoff run, and he's pleased with the coaching.

"More often than not, when you're in the kind of shape we are statistically, you're doing better in the playoffs," Jones said.

What?

Archived