Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Chris Russell on Twitter: Redskins excited about Matt Flynn

LuRedskins

Originally Posted by GibbsFactor

The tea leaves clearly state that what's not being discussed is what will happen. The reader of the tea leaves even said as much.

I really think those tea leaves say trade up for Luck.

I would pretty much pee my pants if that really happened.

I did read a report that the Skins and Colts had already talked about the possibility, but it didn't say whether the Colts said, "Sure if the price is right" or "**** NO."

---------- Post added January-3rd-2012 at 04:27 PM ----------

So starting a rookie quarterback won't get him any leeway?

I actually think, if Shanahan drafts Griffin or Luck, we're going to win more than we did this year just because I believe neither rookie will turn the ball over as much as Rex, AND because Dan will be in love with either of them.

If he signs Flynn, I think he's got less time because he's already failed with 3 QB FAs.

This is another reason I'm for drafting a rookie high. I really don't think we can lose here.

Scott Wells their pro bowl center is also a FA. If GB tag Flynn he'll take up around 16mil of cap room, making it impossible to sign both Wells and Finley.

Seriously I think I would be more excited if the Redskins got Wells.

With 16M of cap space? It'd be easy to sign both those guys to very large deals, that is up to deals worth around $50M each (although they'd really be hamstrung in the out years).

If Flynn is not franchised.....then he would make the most sense to me 1. we will not have to waste a draft pick on a qb until 2. If we get Flynn and hes not franchised then we got him for $$$$ and we have plent of $$$$ and salary cap room. 3. with the 6th overall pick we will still be able to get a top player at a key position the options are endless....and to all the people comparing this to Kolb...please dont Arizona TRADED for Kolb i am in no way saying we should trade for flynn hes going to be a free agent book it.

Personally if Flynn is a FA, I sign him and then draft as I normally would.

If Griffin falls to me, I draft him and make Flynn and Griffin battle it out in TC; if he doesn't I draft a QB later.

We really lose nothing by signing Flynn as a FA other than money and Beck's roster spot.

If Griffin falls to me, I draft him and make Flynn and Griffin battle it out in TC; if he doesn't I draft a QB later.

We really lose nothing by signing Flynn as a FA other than money and Beck's roster spot.

Completely agree.

Like the Skins are really going to tell Chris Russell their plans in free agency and the draft. Please. Bringing in Flynn brings back all the unnecessary hype this team does not need. With Flynn, it means playoffs, ten win seasons, and every thing else in between. This team has too many needs to be trading away draft picks for a qb. It was a failed experiment with McNabb and costly and Mike should have learned from his mistakes. If the Skins was a qb away from being a contender then this move is fine but we as fans know better.

If Flynn is not franchised.....then he would make the most sense to me 1. we will not have to waste a draft pick on a qb until 2. If we get Flynn and hes not franchised then we got him for $$$$ and we have plent of $$$$ and salary cap room. 3. with the 6th overall pick we will still be able to get a top player at a key position the options are endless....and to all the people comparing this to Kolb...please dont Arizona TRADED for Kolb i am in no way saying we should trade for flynn hes going to be a free agent book it.

I agree with this..... I don't think the Packers will be able to franchise him. Flynn is clearly capable of playing the QB position at a high level. He looks to be way better than Kolb for those comparing. Yes it was only one game, but it really couldn't have been much better. Go back and watch the tape, his throws were on the money. If we do this, we get to keep our picks to continue to bring in more talent. This is what the team must do!!!

Absurd, as if the Packers can afford to franchise tag him... Who's going to waste those picks on a former 7th round pick that's been holding a clipboard for the past 3 years??

Call their bluff, and let them pay him the average of the top 5 QBs.

I can't believe somebody would actually report that sort of silly conjecture...

Like the Skins are really going to tell Chris Russell their plans in free agency and the draft. Please. Bringing in Flynn brings back all the unnecessary hype this team needs. With Flynn, it means playoffs, ten win seasons, and every thing else in between. This team has too many needs to be trading away draft picks for a qb. It was a failed experiment with McNabb and costly and Mike should have learned from his mistakes. If the Skins was a qb away from being a contender then this move is fine but we as fans know better.

How does bringing in Flynn bring playoff, 10 win hype? And where does it say it will cost us draft picks?

As for being a QB away from contending:

Wk 1 Giants - W - Grossman 305 yds 2 TDs 0 INTs 1 FL

Wk 2 Cardinals - W - Grossman 291 yds 2 TDs 2 INTs

Wk 3 Cowboys - L by 2 pts - Grossman 250 yds 1 TD 1 INT 1 FL

Wk 4 Rams - W - Grossman 143 yds 1 TD 2 INTs

Wk 6 Eagles - L by 7 pts - Grossman 143 yds 0 TDs 4 INTs, Beck 117 yds 0 TDs 0 INTs

Wk 7 Panthers - L by 13 pts - Beck 279 yds 2 TDs (1 rushing) 1 INT 1 FL

Wk 8 Bills - L by 23 pts - Beck 208 yds 0 TDs 2 INTs

Wk 9 49ers - L by 8 pts - Beck 254 yds 1 TD 1 INT

Wk 10 Dolphins - L by 11 pts - Grossman 215 yds 0 TDs 2 INTs

Wk 11 Cowboys - L by 3 pts in OT - Grossman 292 yds 2 TDs 1 INT

Wk 12 Seahawks - W - Grossman 314 yds 2 TDs 2 INTs

Wk 13 Jets - L by 15 pts - Grossman 221 yds 0 TDs 1 INT 1 FL

Wk 14 Pats - L by 7 pts - Grossman 252 yds 2 TDs 1 INT 1 FL

Wk 15 Giants - W - Grossman 185 yds 1 TD 2 INTs

Wk 16 Vikes - L by 7 pts - Grossman 284 yds 2 TDs 1 INT 1 FL

Wk 17 Eagles - L by 24 pts - Grossman 256 yds 1 TD 1 INT

I look at that and I believe that with a QB that doesn't turn the ball over that many times, we win the division.

Great post...if you sign Flynn (and we have the cap space to do so), then you can stand pat in the draft and go with a BPA approach (or at least BPA by need). Imagine adding Flynn, Blackmon, an OL starter, a DB starter, and a developmental QB in the same draft...

Does anyone else feel that signing Flynn feels like a Vinny move? A knee-jerk reactionary big FA splash based on a small sample size.

Nope, not at all. I don't understand how you can make a comparison.

Flynn is not old, and he won't cost any draft picks. That alone makes it NOTHING like your average Vinny move. He also has no personal baggage or signs that he's a team cancer.

:ols:

Just about any backup QB would be an upgrade over what we have right now. And sorry that i dont want to trade for a guy that has 3 legit #1 WR's and maybe one of if not the best TE in football. I would rather take our chances with a young QB in the draft. And by adding Blackmon we dont have a "ton" of weapons.

And what are you basing this off of? 2 games?

Flynn played that game against Detroits starters and they were a top 10 defense this year. The only catagory that they were not in the top 6 prior to this game was run defense. Flynn obliterated their secondary and they were ranked 5th in the league coming into this game. Blackmon will be a number 1 reciever, Hankerson will be a number 1 reciever, Gaffney is a high quality #2 and moss is a good #2 reciever. Davis and Cooley are also #1 tight ends and both are top 10 in the league. Helu, Royster and Hightower (if he comes back) are all explosive backs. Darryl Young is another threat. Explain to me how you think that those players do not spread a defense out and allows a quality QB like Flynn thrive in a west coast system that he already familiar with? Your thought process is pecimistic and Blackmon adds a whole new dimension to the offense that makes the other recievers and tight ends hard to defend.

When Flynn was at LSU and started at LSU, he was accurate, took care of the football, was mobile in the pocket and out of the pocket and made smart football decisions. We are not going to get Luck or RGIII so Flynn is the next best option. He has been groomed under one of the best QBs in the game for the past few years and understands NFL football, is ready to play as a starter and gives the Redskins something we needed badly, a high quality QB that can manage a football game. It is a no brainer.

You must have been a Vinny Cerato fan. Decisions based off half thought out information and gut feelings.

Flynn is the best LONG TERM option out there besides Luck and Flynn is a better option the Robert Griffin III because Flynn can see the whole field and reads defenses better. RGIII's downfall is he only sees half the field then takes off running. This will get him hurt in the NFL like Vick gets hurt. Who needs that unless you have a quality backup?

Flynn played that game against Detroits starters and they were a top 10 defense this year. The only catagory that they were not in the top 6 prior to this game was run defense. Flynn obliterated their secondary and they were ranked 5th in the league coming into this game. Blackmon will be a number 1 reciever, Hankerson will be a number 1 reciever, Gaffney is a high quality #2 and moss is a good #2 reciever. Davis and Cooley are also #1 tight ends and both are top 10 in the league. Helu, Royster and Hightower (if he comes back) are all explosive backs. Darryl Young is another threat. Explain to me how you think that those players do not spread a defense out and allows a quality QB like Flynn thrive in a west coast system that he already familiar with? Your thought process is pecimistic and Blackmon adds a whole new dimension to the offense that makes the other recievers and tight ends hard to defend.

When Flynn was at LSU and started at LSU, he was accurate, took care of the football, was mobile in the pocket and out of the pocket and made smart football decisions. We are not going to get Luck or RGIII so Flynn is the next best option. He has been groomed under one of the best QBs in the game for the past few years and understands NFL football, is ready to play as a starter and gives the Redskins something we needed badly, a high quality QB that can manage a football game. It is a no brainer.

You must have been a Vinny Cerato fan. Decisions based off half thought out information and gut feelings.

How does bringing in Flynn bring playoff, 10 win hype? And where does it say it will cost us draft picks?
He is a UFA and will cost the Skins nothing but money, so there is not much downside to pursuing him.

My personal opinion is that a solid young QB who has learned the NFL and watched the best play for the last 3 years, and then shows that he is very capable when he gets the opportunity is far more valuable than most college QBs. He knows terminology, he has studied film, he can step right in.

As for being a QB away from contending:

I look at that and I believe that with a QB that doesn't turn the ball over that many times, we win the division.

I think it's fairly obvious that the Skins were a 8-9 win team that won 5. I am not sure they win the division, but they would have competed. Next year they will be better regardless of who is QB.

Archived