Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Chris Russell on Twitter: Redskins excited about Matt Flynn

LuRedskins

Nothing says we can't have Flynn and RGIII. If you sign Flynn as a FA, you can still make a move to get RGIII. Or Luck or anyone else Shanny wants. Flynn replaces Beck. The question is who our other QB will be, preferably a rookie. If I'm Shanny I sign Flynn to a reasonable contract with the promise he can compete for the starting gig. Last year with Grossman and Beck proves I will do that. Then come draft I am seeing what it would take to get Luck. Too expensive? I ask about RGIII. If both out of reach than I grab a QB later. Again we need more than one QB.

You wont sign Flynn to a reasonable contract. Kolb got 65 million over 5 years.

Flynn will get a MINIMUM of half that. 32 million / 5 years / 10 gauranteed

If you think theres any chance of getting Flynn for 15 million / 4 years.. not going to happen. Forget it.

You wont sign Flynn to a reasonable contract. Kolb got 65 million over 5 years.

Flynn will get a MINIMUM of half that. 32 million / 5 years / 10 gauranteed

If you think theres any chance of getting Flynn for 15 million / 4 years.. not going to happen. Forget it.

1 - There was a bigger QB market last year when Kolb was traded than now.

2 - I would pay 32 million for 5 yrs to bring Moore in and compete to be our starter.

3 - I would still try to get Luck, RGIII, or another QB in the draft.

Worst case scenario, we trade Flynn down the road for something if our draft pick works out, or have Flynn available if our rookie doesn't pan out.

Everyone seems to want to focus on the lions game but what about the Patriots? Flynn had a good game last week with help but his other Start he played OK but cost the packers the game with back to back turnovers ( bad int, fumble).

That is true...but all in all it was a pretty good first ever NFL start, wasn't it?

Also...are you saying that, based on your connections, this WILL NOT happen or just that no type of decision has been made at all? To me, those are two different things.

If he gets the franchise tag he'll only leave as a result of a sign and trade. No one will give two firsts, and you're allowed to negotiate lesser compensation. And while Flynn won't be cheap I doubt he'll get a record setting or top pick in the draft level contract.

And, the Browns have two first.

i'm a little surprised many posters are not liking this possible move. we've had almost entirely crap for QB's for decades- decades, folks. we probably wont be able to get luck no matter what. we might be able to get RG3. might - but would likely have to trade multiple picks to do so. this, for a guy who may be great, may not be. we could get flynn- a guy who has actually played an NFL game (one record setting game), at the moment, for nothing more than $ - which we have plenty of, and use our many picks to build around him.

folks, the draft is a crapshoot anyway. always has been. here is a guy who plays in a system that is said to be a carbon copy of our own there for the taking. we think a qb that we may not even be able to get is the answer?

get flynn. get RG3 if he falls to you. if not, go BPA at 6.get a tannehill or weeden later in the draft. we've had nothing at QB for too long. we need as many options as possible. there is no downside. its a no brainer.

It's a fun debate. But from a reality stand point, I don't see how we can judge Flynn as a good or bad choice based on these 2 games and have the definitive answer on it. However, Shanny can do it more thoroughly, dissect his college tape, do interviews, etc, so i am on board with whatever he does one way or another on Flynn.

1 - There was a bigger QB market last year when Kolb was traded than now.

2 - I would pay 32 million for 5 yrs to bring Moore in and compete to be our starter.

3 - I would still try to get Luck, RGIII another QB in the draft.

Worst case scenario, we trade Flynn down the road for something if our draft pick works out, or have Flynn available if our rookie doesn't pan out.

Do you think Flynn would want to sign anywhere that he's not given the preference as starter? There will be a team that will damn near guarantee the guy that he'll be their starter...and they'll pay him handsomely for it. If that team is the Redskins then the QB they draft won't be RG3.

It's a fun debate. But from a reality stand point, I don't see how we can judge Flynn as a good or bad choice based on these 2 games and have the definitive answer on it. However, Shanny can do it more thoroughly, dissect his college tape, do interviews, etc, so i am on board with whatever he does one way or another on Flynn.

absolutely. my only point is, a man dying of thirst in a desert does not turn down water in hopes that a milkshake is on the way.

Do you think Flynn would want to sign anywhere that he's not given the preference as starter? There will be a team that will damn near guarantee the guy that he'll be their starter...and they'll pay him handsomely for it. If that team is the Redskins then the QB they draft won't be RG3.

Who do you think will guarantee him starter? Based on one game? That list is short if it exists at all. Can you say with absolute certainty he's better than Matt Moore was with the Dolphins? Or Colt McCoy with the Browns? Tavaris Jackson of Seattle? The opportunity to compete for the starting gig is more realistic and we offer that here, just like I imagine the teams I've listed would as well.

And why pay him handsomely? Who all is competing for him?

absolutely. my only point is, a man dying of thirst in a desert does not turn down water in hopes that a milkshake is on the way.

Yeah I get what you are saying, and in a way my post supported your line of thought which I took as wouldn't it be great if this guy is the answer. I agree it would be. And I doubt Shanny's decision on this will factor some of the stuff we are talking about here ala Kolb and Cassell. He will isolate Flynn specifically, pro and con. And heck yeah if Shanny decides he wants to sign Flynn, I'd be jazzed, considering we wouldn't have to give up picks in all likelihood like we would to trade up in the draft. Conversely, if shanny thinks lets say Rg 3 is the be all and end all, and wants to trade up, I'll be jazzed about that too. Clearly everything being equal, it would be better to get what we want without giving up draft picks. Personally, I don't want a project at QB, I want a guy who is above average and if not can become above average very quickly -- if Flynn's that guy, great.

Matt Flynn was a #7 pick in 2008 by the Packers.

The Redskins still seem to have no confidence in their abiity to scout and draft a player in Rounds 2-7 and then DEVELOP him as an NFL quarterback.

They want to trade, sign free agents, or move up to #1 (Bradford).

Why not find your own Flynn? :)

Who do you think will guarantee him starter? Based on one game? That list is short if it exists at all. Can you say with absolute certainty he's better than Matt Moore was with the Dolphins? Or Colt McCoy with the Browns? Tavaris Jackson of Seattle? The opportunity to compete for the starting gig is more realistic and we offer that here, just like I imagine the teams I've listed would as well.

And why pay him handsomely? Who all is competing for him?

The Dolphins and Seattle, definitely, yes...it will be more like "It's your job to lose...if the other guy out-performs you he WILL start instead" type of things, even though everyone will know that unless he absolutely bombs he's gonna start from game 1. Kind of like what happened with JC in Oakland and Sanchez with the Jets.

Nothing says we can't have Flynn and RGIII. If you sign Flynn as a FA, you can still make a move to get RGIII. Or Luck or anyone else Shanny wants. Flynn replaces Beck. The question is who our other QB will be, preferably a rookie. If I'm Shanny I sign Flynn to a reasonable contract with the promise he can compete for the starting gig. Last year with Grossman and Beck proves I will do that. Then come draft I am seeing what it would take to get Luck. Too expensive? I ask about RGIII. If both out of reach than I grab a QB later. Again we need more than one QB.

You want to pay out 25 million a year on the QB position? Flynn ain't coming here for cheap. He will command a 40 million starter money. We are drafting RG for to be our starter and paying a backup starter money?

The Dolphins and Seattle, definitely, yes...it will be more like "It's your job to lose...if the other guy out-performs you he WILL start instead" type of things, even though everyone will know that unless he absolutely bombs he's gonna start from game 1. Kind of like what happened with JC in Oakland and Sanchez with the Jets.

Ehh, I don't think the Dolphins thing is definite at all. I think it would be a competition between Flynn and Moore

I feel that M. Flynn's numbers were inflated a bit and this is why. One of his TD's came on a 80 yard screen pass. Another one came on a Wr screen from 5 yards out. And one came on a jump ball to J. Nelson which Flynn knew it was a free play and just threw it up there and Nelson made that TD happen. Now maybe this game is a sign of great things to come from Flynn or maybe it was just his day to shine. I do know that I would not gamble on a former 7th round pick that had two good games. Weather you have to give up picks or you get him for free you will have to pay him a large salary and with that comes the keys to the team and hopes that a former 7th round pick can be not just good but great. People need to remember that he was a 7th rounder for a reason. And in a league were the QB on a team IMO needs to be great and not just good to make a appearance EVERY YEAR in the playoffs ( unless you have a top 10 defense that is) and we don't have one. Here is example of the trend that is happening a lot over the last decade.

Based off of QB rating for the year 8 of the top 10 are in the playoffs. Matt Schaub is also in the top 10 but will not be playing and Romo sits to pee is the other 1 in the 10 which we all no that the way it fell either him or Manning were going to stay home. Believe it or not A. Smith is in the top 10. J. Flacco is 18th and A. Dalton is 20th. Of course Dalton,Flacco and imo A. Smith are in because of there good defences. They are the Trent Dilfers of this years playoffs.*So to sum it all up the Skins need a QB with a top Ten Qb rating to get the team in the playoffs every year or they need a defense like the Ravens,Texans,and Bengals. Of course if the Skins want to try to get to the playoffs every year like T. Tebow #27 QB Rating and a defence that is ranked # 20 then were in for another long decade of misery because i asure everyone that if T. Tebow starts next year and there defence is not top 10 them making the playoff streak will end at 1.

I feel that M. Flynn's numbers were inflated a bit and this is why.

i have no idea if flynn is great or not. but here we are nit picking a game tape in which he outperformed the likes of favre and rodgers (and starr). the man had an awesome game in his third start as a pro.

i think thats impressive no matter how we dissect it.

Matt Moore threw for 2500 yds 16 TDs 9 INTs for an 87.1 passer rating when he came in after Henne went down. Team went 6-6 in games he started after starting the year 0-4.

Jackson threw for 3000 yds 14 TDs 13 INTs for a 79.2 rating. Team went 7-7 in games he started.

But you're saying that both of these teams would immediately go with a guy who started 2 games in his career without a QB competition? Don't buy it.

You want to pay out 25 million a year on the QB position? Flynn ain't coming here for cheap. He will command a 40 million starter money. We are drafting RG for to be our starter and paying a backup starter money?

Where are you getting 25 million a year? Cam Newton got 4 yr 22 million, so even if we get Luck at #1, that's about 5 million a year. So I guess somewhere you heard me say sign Matt Flynn to 20 million a year.

I do recall saying I'd consider paying him 5 yrs 32 million, which is 6 million a year. Which with Flynn and Luck would tie up 11 million a year at QB.

So...where are you getting 25 million a year?

How much Kolb get and Fitz? He is going to get 40 million off top. And draftees get bonuses. Luck would get paid 15 million this year for being first pick. Thats why they say Colts won't have Manning and Luck on the team together. Same with Flynn and RG. Flynn is going to want to go some where to start and only way to ensure that is get paid like a starter. You're living in fanastyland if you think we can get Flynn to come here to be a bridge till RG3 is ready to go. Also Cam got a bigger contract than that 22 million is just gurantee.

Ehh, I don't think the Dolphins thing is definite at all. I think it would be a competition between Flynn and Moore

I think Flynn will be swayed as much by his realistic chance at starting as he will any money that's thrown at him...GMs are definitely gonna make it seem as if it's his job to lose, if for no other reason than to hopefully get him to sign.

Matt Moore threw for 2500 yds 16 TDs 9 INTs for an 87.1 passer rating when he came in after Henne went down. Team went 6-6 in games he started after starting the year 0-4.

Jackson threw for 3000 yds 14 TDs 13 INTs for a 79.2 rating. Team went 7-7 in games he started.

But you're saying that both of these teams would immediately go with a guy who started 2 games in his career without a QB competition? Don't buy it.

See above about Moore...

As for Jackson:

Tarvaris Jackson had games with QB ratings of 69, 69, 60, 55 and 40...they were 2-3 in those games.

He had games where his yards per attempt average was 6.3, 6.2, 5.8, 5.5, 5.5, 5.3, and 4.8...they were 2-5 in those games.

Both of those stats have been a consistent part of Jackson's season each year of his career. It's a pattern.

The Seahawks had the 9th ranked defense but the 22nd ranked passing offense...and Jackson's TD% was an enemic 3.1%. Even Moore's was significantly better at 4.6%.

No way any GM or coach worth his salt would not be thinking they need an upgrade over Tarvaris Jackson and what a real upgrade would mean. Giving Flynn the definite impression that it's his job to lose would hardly be a shock.

Matt Flynn was a #7 pick in 2008 by the Packers.

The Redskins still seem to have no confidence in their abiity to scout and draft a player in Rounds 2-7 and then DEVELOP him as an NFL quarterback.

They want to trade, sign free agents, or move up to #1 (Bradford).

Why not find your own Flynn? :)

Because we have tried and all were fails:

Husak

Rosenfels

Little Hasselbeck

Palmer

Brennen

Beck

How much Kolb get and Fitz? He is going to get 40 million off top. And draftees get bonuses. Luck would get paid 15 million this year for being first pick. Thats why they say Colts won't have Manning and Luck on the team together. Same with Flynn and RG. Flynn is going to want to go some where to start and only way to ensure that is get paid like a starter. You're living in fanastyland if you think we can get Flynn to come here to be a bridge till RG3 is ready to go. Also Cam got a bigger contract than that 22 million is just gurantee.

I already posted that Kolb got 63M over 5 yrs, which was ridiculous. Kolb had a bigger resume and the market was much bigger for QBs at that time. But Flynn will get 40M "off the top"? Not even sure what that means...

As above Cam got 5 yr 22M, but you're saying Luck gets 15M this year? Where are you getting your numbers? Are you just making them up?

Talk about Fantasyland...

Because we have tried and all were fails:

Husak

Rosenfels

Little Hasselbeck

Palmer

Brennen

Beck

Pretty sure Hasselbeck was bought in to be a back-up and not much else. Palmer had his brother's last name, and Brennan had a lot of hype and name recognition (Zorn more or less couldn't hide the fact that he didn't really want Brennen or think much of him). Sage has played well in spot duty when he's called upon.

We weren't really trying to find hidden gems as just picking quarterbacks because we needed a back-up or picking guys up because of their names.

And Beck was thought of highly coming out in 2007 and was a second round pick. Mike wanted to see what he had. He was painfully friggin' wrong, but still.

Pretty sure Hasselbeck was bought in to be a back-up and not much else. Palmer had his brother's last name, and Brennan had a lot of hype and name recognition (Zorn more or less couldn't hide the fact that he didn't really want Brennen or think much of him). Sage has played well in spot duty when he's called upon.

We weren't really trying to find hidden gems as just picking quarterbacks because we needed a back-up or picking guys up because of their names.

And Beck was thought of highly coming out in 2007 and was a second round pick. Mike wanted to see what he had. He was painfully friggin' wrong, but still.

There's also the thing about the ridiculously low likelihood of "finding your own Flynn" that posters ignore or handwave time and time and time again.

Archived