Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Chris Russell on Twitter: Redskins excited about Matt Flynn

LuRedskins

Grossman is an almost ideal backup - knows the system, is capable of being a pinch starter, and inspires confidence in the locker room. NOT bringing him back to sign a similar guy as a backup is questionable at best.

Totally disagree. His inability to protect the ball makes him a terrible backup. His knowledge of the system is good, but he's too irresponsible with the football. I would go for a younger backup with some upside like Josh Johnson or Dennis Dixon. Both have talent IMO and can be stop gap starters until a rookie is ready to go. They also both provide the ability to get out of the pocket and run the play action roll-out game that this offense entails.

As for being a QB away from contending:

Wk 1 Giants - W - Grossman 305 yds 2 TDs 0 INTs 1 FL

Wk 2 Cardinals - W - Grossman 291 yds 2 TDs 2 INTs

Wk 3 Cowboys - L by 2 pts - Grossman 250 yds 1 TD 1 INT 1 FL

Wk 4 Rams - W - Grossman 143 yds 1 TD 2 INTs

Wk 6 Eagles - L by 7 pts - Grossman 143 yds 0 TDs 4 INTs, Beck 117 yds 0 TDs 0 INTs

Wk 7 Panthers - L by 13 pts - Beck 279 yds 2 TDs (1 rushing) 1 INT 1 FL

Wk 8 Bills - L by 23 pts - Beck 208 yds 0 TDs 2 INTs

Wk 9 49ers - L by 8 pts - Beck 254 yds 1 TD 1 INT

Wk 10 Dolphins - L by 11 pts - Grossman 215 yds 0 TDs 2 INTs

Wk 11 Cowboys - L by 3 pts in OT - Grossman 292 yds 2 TDs 1 INT

Wk 12 Seahawks - W - Grossman 314 yds 2 TDs 2 INTs

Wk 13 Jets - L by 15 pts - Grossman 221 yds 0 TDs 1 INT 1 FL

Wk 14 Pats - L by 7 pts - Grossman 252 yds 2 TDs 1 INT 1 FL

Wk 15 Giants - W - Grossman 185 yds 1 TD 2 INTs

Wk 16 Vikes - L by 7 pts - Grossman 284 yds 2 TDs 1 INT 1 FL

Wk 17 Eagles - L by 24 pts - Grossman 256 yds 1 TD 1 INT

Wow...what a miserable season...it's just looks awful when you look at it. But to the point of the thread, signing Flynn is only acceptable if they have their sights set on a WR in this years draft. And frankly, I don't see Blackmon lasting past STL at #2. Especially if he runs well at the combine/pro day.

I don't think its because they have the respect and dont want to tag him, it's they need to use it on Finley.

Ditto! This man is spot on! I live up here in Wisconsin too and ask any (knowledgeable) Packer fan and thats immediately who they will tell you will be franchised. They also just about blow a gasket at the idea of franchising their backup QB risking having to pay $15 mil to him while also risking losing their superstar TE and their damn good Center.

Wk 6 Eagles - L by 7 pts - Grossman 143 yds 0 TDs 4 INTs, Beck 117 yds 0 TDs 0 INTs

Wow...what a miserable season...it's just looks awful when you look at it. But to the point of the thread, signing Flynn is only acceptable if they have their sights set on a WR in this years draft. And frankly, I don't see Blackmon lasting past STL at #2. Especially if he runs well at the combine/pro day.

well we could get Flynn and trade up to get Blackmon. did ya think of that?

Wait...why doesn't it make the Redskins less likely to draft RG3 if THEY sign Flynn? lol...

The difference is CLE is at 4 and has a very good chance of taking RGIII if they should choose. Ahead of them are three teams, one of which will take Luck. The other two have young franchise QBs and there are players on the board that they can easily lose if they trade down that they will probably want.

We on the other hand at 6 have to rely on either trading up to get one of those two QBs or rely on them falling to us past CLE. The chances of us getting our QB through the draft is less than CLE. If CLE signs Flynn, they are less inclined to use their 4th on a QB. They already have McCoy. For us though, signing Flynn protects us against losing out on both Luck and RGIII but doesn't prevent us from taking either if we choose.

Again we need 2 QBs this year.

---------- Post added January-4th-2012 at 06:44 AM ----------

Football business doesn't work that way.

For one, why would Flynn go somewhere he didn't think he'd be the starter? He could stay in Green Bay if he wanted to be a back-up quarterback, and get paid back-up quarterback money. He's going to test the free agent waters to be a starter, not to come in and compete with anyone. If he got that sense, he'd probably take his services elsewhere. I know I would. And it doesn't make him a bad guy either; given the choice of going somewhere and knowing I'd have to "compete" to be the starter and going somewhere that would make me the starter from day one...well, I know where I'm going, unless I really like the coaching staff or town or something.

As I stated in numerous previous posts, we offer the best chance of him starting. We have literally nothing at this point. Zero. No other team offers him this good a chance of winning the starting job. Luck granted will be a day one starter if we get him, but our chances of getting him are minimal. RGIII, if we manage to get him, it could be argued might not be immediately ready based on the offense he ran in college. So you're saying to Flynn, can you beat out a rookie who played in a shotgun formation at a school that didn't play an SEC schedule? What other team offers him a better shot at starting?

As I stated in numerous previous posts, we offer the best chance of him starting. We have literally nothing at this point. Zero. No other team offers him this good a chance of winning the starting job. Luck granted will be a day one starter if we get him, but our chances of getting him are minimal. RGIII, if we manage to get him, it could be argued might not be immediately ready based on the offense he ran in college. So you're saying to Flynn, can you beat out a rookie who played in a shotgun formation at a school that didn't play an SEC schedule? What other team offers him a better shot at starting?

Interesting idea of having both guys...gives you a QB for now and a QB who can learn. If RGIII lights up then you trade Flynn if Flynn is looking great then you can probally still trade RGIII.

Would be something, going into the offseason with Beck and Crompton at QB! and in week 1 have a lineup of Flynn and RGIII. Some kind of turnaround.

Interesting idea of having both guys...gives you a QB for now and a QB who can learn. If RGIII lights up then you trade Flynn if Flynn is looking great then you can probally still trade have a lineup of Flynn and RGIII.

If we sign Flynn then there is no way we will be drafing a QB in the first round. We have too many other needs. We will be drafting a WR at #6 pick if we sign Flynn

Nobody knows how Flynn will turn out, but if we were to sign him I wouldn't lose sleep. To sign him AND address another position with that sixth pick would be a great scenario IMO. We're not getting Luck and quite frankly something about RGIII scares me.

If we sign Flynn then there is no way we will be drafing a QB in the first round. We have too many other needs. We will be drafting a WR at #6 pick if we sign Flynn

Well so far I've seen one of my posts reposted and not get quoted and now I'm being quoted for something I never said...this is going well.

Good god. 1.5 INTs per game, 1.9 QB turnovers per game. That's our season right there.

I could see a QB in the 4th or later, maybe Moore, or one of the other guys with accuracy without the measurables. But yea, no first rounder if we go after Flynn. Way too many other holes. Even Blackmon seems like a luxury pick for this team. I wouldn't be mad about him, though. Guy has it all, character, speed, what a great player. I suspect he has a higher grade than Fitzgerald did coming out of school.

Good god. 1.5 INTs per game, 1.9 QB turnovers per game. That's our season right there.

17 games appeared in by Rex. 17 games that he's turned the ball over in. We haven't had a game where the QB didn't turn the ball over since McNabb did it twice last season.

I'm not really a big fan of free agency occuring before the draft. If the draft were first, you could get the rookies you/need and then in free agency you could plug veterans in where players are needed.

It would also be big for us this year. If we didn't land a Luck or a RG3, or whoever Coach Shanahan's top target is, now we know we have to address it in FA.

the problem with this thinking is your not projecting what luck, RG3 will become in 4 years vs what Flynn is now.

I agree i didnt take projections into consideration, But whose to say we will have RG3 or Luck available at the 6th overall at least we know we have a good shot at Flynn, If flynn isnt franchised we must go after him, however im not saying that if RG3 or even Luck are available at 6 we should not draft them but i dont htink either will be unfortunately....best case scenario for me is we get Flynn and somehow we get RG3 or Luck with the 6th overall worst case we just have Flynn and use the 6th on a position the team needs....not such a terrible worst case scenario to be in IMO.

I could see a QB in the 4th or later, maybe Moore, or one of the other guys with accuracy without the measurables. But yea, no first rounder if we go after Flynn. Way too many other holes. Even Blackmon seems like a luxury pick for this team. I wouldn't be mad about him, though. Guy has it all, character, speed, what a great player. I suspect he has a higher grade than Fitzgerald did coming out of school.

Blackmon would not be a luxury - if we have a QB first. I can't see Blackmon getting past the Rams though if they have any sense.

If we take Flynn my strategy would be to try to trade back somewhere in the early teens and take Tannehill. He is a QB who has great physical tools, is a hard worker by all accounts but is very inexperienced at the position and might need a couple of years sat learning a system and developing. If we did this we get an extra 2nd round pick maybe, a QB in Flynn who can start now and a guy to develop behind him.

If Flynn becomes a Pro Bowl type QB you can always trade Tannehill later for a high pick, if Flynn flames out you have another option. Just imagine QB being a position of strength - its been quite a while.

I'm not really a big fan of free agency occuring before the draft. If the draft were first, you could get the rookies you/need and then in free agency you could plug veterans in where players are needed.

It would also be big for us this year. If we didn't land a Luck or a RG3, or whoever Coach Shanahan's top target is, now we know we have to address it in FA.

To be fair, FA occurs before and after the draft. FAs sign right out of the gate, teams draft then rosters get shuffled and FAs get signed after.

To be fair, FA occurs before and after the draft. FAs sign right out of the gate, teams draft then rosters get shuffled and FAs get signed after.

Obviously. But the top targets are generally off the board come draft time. I meant the beginning of the process. Not the continuation of it.

I watched the game on NFL replay, and honestly was not blown away with Flynn's performance. He had GREAT stats, and a great day against a pretty good defense, but I saw this having more to do with the strong cast of players around him. There were some incredible performances by the receivers, and running backs catching the ball out of the backfield. I would say if we go after him we still need to draft one of the top 3-5 QBs in the draft.

Also, as I have stated before, we have way too many needs to give away picks for anyone, so let's stay within our means and try to continue to grow this team with young talent via the draft.

I watched the game on NFL replay, and honestly was not blown away with Flynn's performance. He had GREAT stats, and a great day against a pretty good defense, but I saw this having more to do with the strong cast of players around him. There were some incredible performances by the receivers, and running backs catching the ball out of the backfield. I would say if we go after him we still need to draft one of the top 3-5 QBs in the draft.

Mind sharing what methods you used to scout him? What you looked at mechanically? What you saw? Accuracy? How well he got rid of the football? How he handled pressure?

Mind sharing what methods you used to scout him? What you looked at mechanically? What you saw? Accuracy? How well he got rid of the football? How he handled pressure?

Sure.

Mechanically: He's sound, and really good outside of the pocket.

What I saw: Huge runs after the catch; receivers wide open and/or making really great catches. Yes, the QB needs to get the ball there, so I give him credit for that.

Accuracy: Pretty good accuracy. He got the ball where it needed to be, thus his stats were amazing.

Getting rid of the football: Not bad, but if you compare him with Stafford, he takes a little longer to survey the field and get to 2nd/3rd options. Against a great defense, that is going to be an issue long term.

Pressure: Generally did pretty well "sensing" the pocket pressure, and standing in to deliver the through when needed.

So, back to my point..my saying I was not blown away means I would prefer one of the QBs in the draft (Luck, RGIII, etc) if we are going to trade for anyone. Flynn is a good QB, and I am not saying he would not be a clear upgrade to what we have now, but even when you compare the two QBs on the field during the game, Stafford had a quicker release, better pocket presence, accuracy was about even, and he seemed to manage the game better with fewer weapons on the field. This could very well be because Stafford has started all year, so I won't argue that, but I just don't feel like Flynn "ran away with the spoon" in terms of who we should go after in the off-season.

Archived