Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Chris Russell on Twitter: Redskins excited about Matt Flynn

LuRedskins

And Hasslebeck as well...and Green played well for the Chiefs, so he did it twice lol...

so essentially what your telling me is that Mike Holmgren turned two franchises from bottom feeders to contenders by bringing in a Back up QB to be his starter right ? old habits die hard and yes going to the well again.

so essentially what your telling me is that Mike Holmgren turned two franchises from bottom feeders to contenders by bringing in a Back up QB to be his starter right ? old habits die hard and yes going to the well again.

slightly off topic ( but not really): Lavarleap, how surprised would you be on a scale of 1 to 10 if we didn't get RG3?

I've been following your posts, and you clearly have a pretty confident view of our organization's A) intent and B) capability to land RG3.... I'm really hoping you know something we outsiders don't that leads you to be so certain....

1.) "Said to be a carbon copy of ours" by who?.

heard that on the radio this morning. i cant recall who, exactly said it- could have been chris russell- but whoever said it was repeating it as second hand info- essentially, that someone who knows offenses said it was the same basic system.

i agree that mike needs to hit on a QB and soon. ideally, i'd love to see us sign flynn and draft a QB- rg3 if he falls to us, tannehill, weeden, moore, someone. the draft is as much as a crapshoot as a guy like flynn is, at least, IMO. outside of luck, at least.

slightly off topic ( but not really): Lavarleap, how surprised would you be on a scale of 1 to 10 if we didn't get RG3?

I've been following your posts, and you clearly have a pretty confident view of our organization's A) intent and B) capability to land RG3.... I'm really hoping you know something we outsiders don't that leads you to be so certain....

mike already knows alot about griffin. My scale would be a 8.

the problem with this thinking is your not projecting what luck, RG3 will become in 4 years vs what Flynn is now.

Or, what Flynn will become in 2-3 years vs what Luck/RG3 will become in 4 lol...because Flynn can improve as well.

And this is still good for us because it makes it less likely they draft RGIII at 4, making it more likely we get RGIII. How can you all not like Matt Flynn? :)

Wait...why doesn't it make the Redskins less likely to draft RG3 if THEY sign Flynn? lol...

yeah, only I wasn't saying it in that particular post lol ;)...

Admit I'm wrong? Where was I wrong? Because you assumed I read what a media guy said might happen?

This team does have more holes than just QB, but to think that you need every hole filled to contend is laughable because no team has every hole filled. And yet teams make the playoffs and win the Super Bowl every year. I contend that with competent QB play we'd have probably made the playoffs, by winning the division where we beat the Giants, who won the division, twice, lost to the Cowboys twice by three points because of FG issues and lost a number of other games because our QBs turned the ball over 30 times this year by themselves.

Again, where am I wrong?

Once again read and understand what you accused me of stating that draft picks were not part of the acquistion of Flynn. Sign and trade means just that and do not give me that player nonsense because Green Bay deals solely on draft picks. Two, who said anything about filling every hole on the team? Qb play would have helped this team but you cannot say it would have made this team a playoff team in the east, hell look at Romo sits to pee by far one of the best regular season qb's in nfl history yet and still the Cowboys are sitting home for the playoffs. If I am not mistaken and correct me if I am wrong statistically the Cowboys are rated higher than the Skins in defense. So all these hypotheticals you are creating are far fetched and can only be proven on the field and right now this team is not a playoff team so all positions need to be evaluated.

I already posted that Kolb got 63M over 5 yrs, which was ridiculous. Kolb had a bigger resume and the market was much bigger for QBs at that time. But Flynn will get 40M "off the top"? Not even sure what that means...

As above Cam got 5 yr 22M, but you're saying Luck gets 15M this year? Where are you getting your numbers? Are you just making them up?

Talk about Fantasyland...

They said that on ESPN today that with Peyton's 28 million and Luck being the top pick 15 million they would be paying 40-50 million that year at the QB position.

1.) "Said to be a carbon copy of ours" by who? There are elements of our offense that are similiar to Green Bay's, maybe some of the terminology is similiar-ish, but when I look at the Green Bay offense, our offense, and an offense like the Houston Texans (which is legitimately the same as our offense), I see a lot of differences. From an idealogical standpoint their similiar (they're both basically the Vertical West Coast Offense), but I think the systems themselves, just giving the eyeball test, are a lot different. Just one difference is our reliance on the run game; our whole scheme works a lot better when we're running the ball, and that goes for the Texans too. Green Bay..not so much. They run play action and boot, but they all do a lot more spread sets and operating out of shotgun. There's a difference.

2.) We can't afford for Mike to completely whiff on Flynn either. Give him a 4-year, $38 million deal or something like that, and then Flynn comes in and plays like butt, and it's the third straight year where Mike Shanahan has signed/traded for another teams quarterback that they didn't want and put in the starting role. And I'm not saying Flynn will be bad. I'm just saying we need to put everything in the proper perspective.

Mike whiffing on his fourth quarterback in three years would shorten his leash a lot more that developing a quarterback that's not Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin III. Again, not saying he's gonna whiff if he decides Flynn's worth it, but again...perspective. If the fear is that Mike doesn't have time to develop a quarterback before his contract is over or before he gets fired, then you have to also accept the fear that missing on another team's quarterback for the third straight year would make his seat considerably warmer.

The idea needs to be modified; we may not be able to afford missing on another quarterback, but we must do our due dilligence and examine all possible options as much as possible, and not get caught up in one guy to be the savior. We have to keep our options as open as possible.

I swear I am beginning to think you and I share the same brain.

Signing Flynn doesn't guarantee he'll be the starter, just that he'll have the chance to compete for it. If I were GM, I still am trying to get Luck, RGIII, or someone else in that order. What it does is change my QB depth chart from "Grossman/Beck" to either "Flynn/draft pick" or "draft pick/Flynn" both of which I like better than "Grossman/Beck". Again if Shanny doesn't think he's a fit this is all a moot point, but if Shanny thinks he works, why not sign him to compete with the rookie? If the rookie wins, Flynn becomes possible trade bait down the road. If Flynn wins, gives the rookie a year or two to develop. Either way we win and are stronger at the position going forward.

Football business doesn't work that way.

For one, why would Flynn go somewhere he didn't think he'd be the starter? He could stay in Green Bay if he wanted to be a back-up quarterback, and get paid back-up quarterback money. He's going to test the free agent waters to be a starter, not to come in and compete with anyone. If he got that sense, he'd probably take his services elsewhere. I know I would. And it doesn't make him a bad guy either; given the choice of going somewhere and knowing I'd have to "compete" to be the starter and going somewhere that would make me the starter from day one...well, I know where I'm going, unless I really like the coaching staff or town or something.

Or, what Flynn will become in 2-3 years vs what Luck/RG3 will become in 4 lol...because Flynn can improve as well.

Wait...why doesn't it make the Redskins less likely to draft RG3 if THEY sign Flynn? lol...

yeah, only I wasn't saying it in that particular post lol ;)...

Luck and Rg3 skillset is leaps and bounds ahead of Flynn when he was coming out of LSU. Three years down the road assuming both are developed properly they should exceed Flynn. I wouldn't assume Flynn is going to just become a starter and play lights out from the gate because he still has stuff to learn. Matt Hallesbeck had some growing pains in his transition, Steve Young rode the bench and retooled his game behind Montana, T.Green and M.Schaub actually had valuable starting experience before joining other teams. I think Flynn will be a good qb but him coming to the redskins brings immediate expectations while a rookie brings hope for the future and some breathing room. The media and some of the fanbase will be quick to roll the organization under the bus if Flynn struggles at all. I think this team right now needs time to grow and a rookie allows that to happen vs a guy like flynn.

Mike will and is hunting for a guy that will take this team to a super bowl not just win some more games.

Luck and Rg3 skillset is leaps and bounds ahead of Flynn when he was coming out of LSU. Three years down the road assuming both are developed properly they should exceed Flynn. I wouldn't assume Flynn is going to just become a starter and play lights out from the gate because he still has stuff to learn. Matt Hallesbeck had some growing pains in his transition, Steve Young rode the bench and retooled his game behind Montana, T.Green and M.Schaub actually had valuable starting experience before joining other teams. I think Flynn will be a good qb but him coming to the redskins brings immediate expectations while a rookie brings hope for the future and some breathing room. The media and some of the fanbase will be quick to roll the organization under the bus if Flynn struggles at all. I think this team right now needs time to grow and a rookie allows that to happen vs a guy like flynn.

Mike will and is hunting for a guy that will take this team to a super bowl not just win some more games.

My question would be who will be brought in as a vet QB? Hopefully, we won't have another year with Grossman.

Personally, I'm tired of seeing Grossman. We need someone else.

There really isnt anyone else FA wise that would be consider a vet that is a better choice then Rex.

Beside Flynn, the 2012 QB FA class is not that great.

David Garrard, may be a good vet...but he would need to pick up the system.

Jake Delhomme??

Shaun Hill ??

Sage Rosenfels?? But then again he may be just as bad.

Brady Quinn???

Mark Brunell??

Leftwich??

Well news from up here in Wisconsin is mike won't tag him, they have a lot of respect for him and want him to be able to choose whatever team he wants. And if you think about it if they tag him who's to say they will find a trade partner? Then if they can't trade him he gets a huge payday from them. Why would they risk paying two QBS elite pay at that position. He will be a free agent.

TWO "once in a lifetime players"?? lol ;)...

If only Luck or RGIII existed then either of them would be considered "once in a lifetime" players. If you have a legit chance at "once at a lifetime" or even "once in 20 years", you take him, no matter if you get more "value" out of signing Hasselbeck 2.0 and drafting Larry Fitzgerald 2.0 (as a near-best case scenario)

Also, on backups, Sage Rosenfels would be the most likely option if we let Grossman walk. Knows the system and has played pretty decent in relief of Schaub.

Well news from up here in Wisconsin is mike won't tag him, they have a lot of respect for him and want him to be able to choose whatever team he wants. And if you think about it if they tag him who's to say they will find a trade partner? Then if they can't trade him he gets a huge payday from them. Why would they risk paying two QBS elite pay at that position. He will be a free agent.

I don't think its because they have the respect and dont want to tag him, it's they need to use it on Finley.

Archived