Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trading down to acquire more picks.

skins4ever17

I think it's obvious we need to get a QB now. It's a huge, glaring hole that can't be overlooked anymore.

I just hope the Rams don't rape us too bad especially when the Browns who are also looking to draft RG3 and have an extra 1st rounder, 2nd rounder and 4th rounder this year to play with as trade bait.

I know that many of you think trading up for Luck is a good idea, but I realized we have a lot of holes on our team... In all honesty, I feel that we only have great depth at the TE and LB position. Our WR's are serviceable, but we have no go-to superstar guy.

Not to mention that we should work on our O and D lines, I feel that it would be a better idea to trade our first for two second round draft choices. This teams needs a lot of help in many places, so we need to draft as many bodies as possible. Your thoughts?

My thoughts is im sick of having NO QB. Whats the point of having playmakers and a good O line if your QB turns the ball over ALL THE TIME. Only way i trade back is if we sit at 6 and no one falls to us. But i want to trade up and get our QB

I think I'd be cool with trading down to get an extra pick to draft 2 QBs with. That wouldn't be my first choice, but I think I could live with it. Sign a vet, and have the two rookies battle it out. Say Tannehill and Weeden, or Foles and Tannehill, whatever. But in the absence of RGIII, they need to get more than one QB in this draft.

So we're gonna put our entire trust of this team in the hands of a QB who has one great game and now has been crowned the messiah? Shall I warm up the failmobile?

You would rather put our entire trust of this team in the hands of a QB who has never played a single NFL game?

Flynn we lose nothing but Dan's money. RG3 we lose a draft pick, likely several to trade up. Last year we got Kerrigan, then Jenkins, then Hankerson. Would you lose this year's equivelant of that in the risk of getting RG3 in a trade up? If so, your previous statement is hypocritical. Flynn is the lesser risk. RG3 is the bigger risk but seems to be the more popular.

As usual everyone is clamoring for a different outcome but drafting Dalton instead of Kerrigan is just hindsight and wouldn't have guaranteed us a playoff spot. Dalton played well but no one knew he would play this well. NO ONE! We can all say that they saw it but it is the luck of the draw. Who knows what would have happened. We all think we know who is the next Brady, Manning or Brees but we don't. So I think we stay pat and take either Luck or RGII (Not sold on him) or take a O-linemen. If we have to take a QB in the 2nd or late first via trade then that is what we need to do. Let Allen work his magic like he did last year to see what happens.

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to signing Flynn and drafting Blackmon if he's there at #6 (which I doubt he will). Flynn comes from a great system and understands the NFL game. He's ready to play now. If our scouts/Shanahan think he'd be a good fit for the long term then get him and grab other weapons in the draft, even if it means trading down to get more picks. I'd love to grab another #1 in next years draft if it means dropping down to #15 in this years draft. That being said, if we grab RGIII or Luck I wouldn't be upset.

Bengals knew dalton was there guy because they got to coach him at the senior bowl an see his intangibles up close! Im wishin skins get to coach the game this year so we cn get an inside track on a qb or players no ones targeting.

I completely agree that it would be smart to trade down and try to get as many picks as we can. But, this city needs a franchise QB in the worst possible way, and we are in a somewhat good position to get one. I am tired of relying on the defense. Lets get a QB and not worry about that position for the next decade.

QB is a huge glaring hole for the past 20 years. The reason we suck is because as the NFL has transitioned into a passing league we are stuck ignoring that fact. I don't care if we trade 4 first rounders for Luck. It's better than what is the other option- being stuck without a QB and have NO chance. Plus, I'm tired of people constantly posting we should trade down, stockpile picks and solidify OL,DL,LB when it is a passing QB league. Over the years, it has become painful to keep reading and it would be a great relief to get a QB so that we can responsibly start building depth out on this team.

All the other holes combined doesn't compare to our one big hole at QB. If Shanny and Co. feel good about a QB in this draft than Im fine selling the farm to get one. Trading down for more picks is nice too... but until that big hole is filled at the QB spot it won't matter how many small holes we fill IMO.

You would rather put our entire trust of this team in the hands of a QB who has never played a single NFL game?

Flynn we lose nothing but Dan's money. RG3 we lose a draft pick, likely several to trade up. Last year we got Kerrigan, then Jenkins, then Hankerson. Would you lose this year's equivelant of that in the risk of getting RG3 in a trade up? If so, your previous statement is hypocritical. Flynn is the lesser risk. RG3 is the bigger risk but seems to be the more popular.

Matt Flynn has played one good game in NFL. No one even knew who the heck he was until last Sunday. Also would I rather put the trust of the team in a Heisman winner or a Pro Ready QB? Yes.

This wouldn't even be discussion if Flynn didn't go off on the Lions. Even Jamarcus Russell had one good game. Not mention you think Packers are just gonna hand us Flynn? We're gonna give up picks for him in the end when they put a Franchise tag on him.

IF Grossman was at least an Alex Smith type game manager, I would say we could go for some stars.

Draft Blackmon.. so we have Blackmon and Hankerson out there. Draft a safety in the 2nd, and Oline in the 3rd and 4th. Then take some stabs with the rest with BPA.

Problem is that Grossman is not a game manager. You simply can't consistently win with Grossman, for obvious reasons.

We had to have set some record the last 5 games. We had a 100+ yard rusher in all 5 of the last 5 games of the season. We lost all but 1 of those games.

The primary reason we lose is because we turn over the ball too much. You spend 7 minutes of game time grinding down the field rushing the ball, wearing out their defense. Then we throw an INT in the redzone.. BOOM momentum changes instantly.. team demoralized.

That is why we cannot continue with Grossman. We just can't.

So while you are correct.. we need to address Safety, OL, WR (again), CB and a successor to Fletch... we really have no choice but to address QB now.

If we don't address QB now, all of our young players will continue to be demoralized by losses and turning the ball over and it's going to instill a bad culture with all our young guys. We need to start getting some wins and some enthusiasm in our young players as soon as possible and Grossman is simply not the guy to do that.

The fact is, we don't have anyone on the roster for that job. We have a big black hole at the QB position.

If you rated positions of need on this team from 1-100.. it would go like this..

QB - 99

OL - 40

FS - 20

CB - 15

WR - 10

Love the idea of trading back if we do not get Luck or RG3 at 6th. I think you trade back to later in the first round I still say we need a dominate nose tackle at some point. But I really like Russell Wilson, Just broke RG3 QB rating in a game at the Rose Bowl. Tried baseball, NC state released him from Scholarship, Wisconin picked him up and he had 1 month to learn the system and threw only 4 int's all year! 33 TDS! Probably could get him early second round!

We must get our QB this year. I used to be all about trading down to aquire as many picks as possible but that has changed. IF we had even a halfway decent QB this year we would have been right in the thick of the division race. If it takes this years 2nd, and next years 1st and 2nd, we MUST pull the trigger. As other posters have stated we have a ton of cap space this year, use that on the O-line and secondary first, then fill in the gaps after that. We have no bigger need than QB and it's not even close.

I hope most of you realize that on Jan 3rd you are not really deciding if you are going to trade up or trade down in the draft in April. We haven't had free agency, we haven't had the combine. This is really kind of pointless.

I would hope that Shanahan and Allen wait until they see what they and every other team has after free agency, see what comes out of the combine and film study, background investigations, etc. and then decide what the best course of action will be as the draft plays out. Saying "we should trade down" on Jan 3rd...*shakes head*

Dude the front 7 isnt set. We dont even have a true NT for the type of defense we run.

Just a reminder that with the shortened offseason, Cofield didn't have a chance to grow into the NT position. I feel he'll be much better and possibly bigger with a whole offseason preparing for NT as opposed to DE, which is the position he probably was expecting to play coming out of the lockout.

Archived