Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trading down to acquire more picks.

skins4ever17

I know that many of you think trading up for Luck is a good idea, but I realized we have a lot of holes on our team... In all honesty, I feel that we only have great depth at the TE and LB position. Our WR's are serviceable, but we have no go-to superstar guy.

Not to mention that we should work on our O and D lines, I feel that it would be a better idea to trade our first for two second round draft choices. This teams needs a lot of help in many places, so we need to draft as many bodies as possible. Your thoughts?

Our first rounder is worth 1600 points and two 2nd rounders even high 2nd rounders are worth less than 1200 points. We need to draft and groom a young qb. If we can get rg3 at 6 great. If we need to trade up so be it. We haven't had a qb play in the same system since joe theism an.

lets put it this way.. If we Sign Myers and Grubbs (or Nicks) and RG3 falls to us (Or the trade up isn't that bad) then i pull the trigger.. if RG3 is gone.. i trade down damn near to the 29th spot if i could. Accumulate a first next year if we could.

Why would we trade the #6 pick to begin with?? Luck won't fall that far, St. Louis has VERBALLY committed to Sam Bradford, it is my opinion the Vikings will give Ponder one more shot, TB isn't giving up on Freeman, but Cleveland isn't sold on McCoy but I think they like him. RG III could actually fall to us, no ****ing way we trade the 1st round pick when our FO office turned 6 picks into 12 last year.

Because we need a quarterback.

Look at our division. Now loom at what Andy Dalton did. If we had taken Dalton instead of Kerrigan, we would have been in the playoff hunt.

This league is about the quarterback. We find that guy, we can find pieces to go around him later.

Even if you trade down, you don't trade the #6 pick for 2 second round picks. Maybe for a lower first and a second or a lower first, a second and something else...

Taking a quick peek at things, I wonder if the Bengals would trade their 2 1sts for Richardson if he was at #6.

What if:

1. Luck (Colts)

2. Griffin (Browns secure, or maybe Miami)

3. Blackmon (Minny)

4. Kalil (Rams or Browns to protect McCoy)

5. Claiborne (Bucs)

At 6 (as it currently seems) Richardson is the BPA, but RB isn't our strongest need and something I don't see Shanny going with. Cinny has Oakland's 1st rounder (17th- 950 points), and their own mid-20ish 1st as well depending on finish (21 is highest they can get, 800 points). Richardson with Dalton and Green would make them strong on O and still have picks 2-7.

That would put us in a good position with 17, 25 and 39. 17 might be good enough for Tannehill, although our 3rd could get us back to 12ish to get him. Lot's of if's, but I had fun. Haha

Could that quarterback not be chosen in the second round?

Andy Dalton, Colin Capernick, AND John Beck were second round picks. There are only 2 QB's worth drafting in the first two rounds and those 2 will be gone before pick #7. To your point, yes a good QB can be drafted in the 2nd round but we have the chance to draft RG III, he is the guy to take instead of waiting for the 2nd round.

Could that quarterback not be chosen in the second round?

Not if we want him starting at any point next year and being competent.

The only two guys I would trust to run the offense well in their 1st year are Luck and RGIII. Landry needs work, as evidenced by his last 4 games, and Tannehill is basically Grossman 2.0, though he has the advantage of being able to improve from there, unlike Grossman who is not going to change anymore.

Anyone after that is at least 1 year developmental. Foles, Weedon, Cousins, Wilson, Moore, etc. etc. need time.

D-Line is solid. Not top 5, but def. top 15 if they weren't always stuck in crappy situations due to Grossman mistakes.

O-line needs help, but if we really want guys, they should be there in FA, or alternatively, OT depth is good for this draft. OG not so much. Basically, we can probably get a starter level guy in the 3rd round for OT.

WR help could be gained via FA. Meachem would be my first choice. Solid WR, but sitting behind Colston on the dc in NO, and of course they also air it out to everyone. That being said, there's plenty of other guys out there to be had in FA.

I'm more worried about CB than anything else. I don't know who's going to be in FA, and no one outside the 2nd round will be worth adding to the roster.

Long story short, we should be aiming for our franchise QB first, and if that means trading up and losing picks, then so be it. Only if that falls through or we somehow keep our 2nd or something should we begin trading down.

And even then, I'd advocate either CB or WR with our #6 pick rather than trading down. I doubt we'd get Blackmon or Claiborne at 6, but Floyd/Jeffrey and Kirkpatrick are both incredible guys too.

Remember QBs need time in a system and Shanahan has three years left. He needs a QB this offseason for his return to be a success. People can talk about how much we've improved but the reality, that all the explanations in the world can't erase, is 6-10 and 5-11. He knows it and as he's never lost this much I'm sure he absolutely hates it. The man that coached within the 49ers dynasty and won rings with Elway under center knows that he needs a QB.

Also honest question, how many coaches have kept their jobs winning 6 or fewer games three consecutive years?

Also honest question, how many coaches have kept their jobs winning 6 or fewer games three consecutive years?

Steve Spagn...oh wait. I think Mike Nolan might've pulled it off in San Fran. He got fired mid-way through his 4th season (2008).

But yeah. This offseason is make or break. QB or bust. All that other stuff can wait. QB is the piece that elevates this team from 5.5-10.5 to a winning team. Imagine if instead of Grossman, our QB had an even TD-INT ratio, or *GASP* a positive ratio. We'd probably be in the playoffs right now.

Honestly, I'd like to follow the Panthers lead. Sure, the Panthers finished crappy, but their D is horrible. Imagine if Carolina had our defense. They'd be a serious playoff contender.

This isn't the time to stockpile picks. McNugget was a flop, Beck is a non factor and Sexy Rexy gives it up more than a drunk sorority girl. This team needs a QB to lead the offense in the future and it's probably going to take 2-1st and 2-2nd's to do so.

Remember QBs need time in a system and Shanahan has three years left. He needs a QB this offseason for his return to be a success. People can talk about how much we've improved but the reality, that all the explanations in the world can't erase, is 6-10 and 5-11. He knows it and as he's never lost this much I'm sure he absolutely hates it. The man that coached within the 49ers dynasty and won rings with Elway under center knows that he needs a QB.

I agree most coaches wouldn't survive after 2 years of 6 or fewer wins however I think Shanahan gets a slight pass since he inherited one of the worse situations you could. Everything here from top to bottom was basically crap. Some coaches would take nearly a decade to fix this franchise. I'm amazed he's gotten this far in two years.

We need a QB. We CANNOT continue to ignore that. We might actually trade up to make sure a Team like Miami don't leap frog us to grab RG3. Plus, we're well under the salary cap so we can pretty much fill out the roster through free agency.

We need a QB. We CANNOT continue to ignore that. We might actually trade up to make sure a Team like Miami don't leap frog us to grab RG3. Plus, we're well under the salary cap so we can pretty much fill out the roster through free agency.

Can't believe you're the first one to post this. Really? Trade down? We don't need depth as badly as we need that QB that can actually have above a 1:1 td:int ratio. Beck/Sexy were the #1 reason for our 5-11 season. Lack of depth definitely played a part too...

"We're set at LB and DL" -- lol what? We have nobody really in line to replace fletcher (which is damn near impossible albeit). We need another Riley to groom next year. DL I agree-- especially way bowen and carriker played. I think Cofield would be better at DE but he has done a phenomenal job with the little training he has had at the position. A+ FA pickup there... FO impresses me.

Jenkins is coming back as well so I agree DL is fine (unless a stud NT falls to us in 2nd -- assuming our 2nd is not traded away).

PRIMARY NEED IN ORDER OF NEED

1) QB (no brainer)

2) OT

3) OG

4) ILB

5) CB

6) WR

7) NT or SS/FS

having the 6th pick makes the decisions very easy...

1) Trade up for Luck...highly unlikely

2) Stay put and draft RG3 or Blackmon....less then 50% chance either is there

3) trade down...this is probably the best option...I wouldn't draft an o-lineman, corner or running back with the 6th pick...those will be the best players on the board.....with the lower rookie contracts, more teams will be willing to trade up....I can see a team trading up for Trent Richardson, Dre Kirkpatrick, Jonathan Martin, Reilly Reif or Quinton Coples.

having the 6th pick makes the decisions very easy...

1) Trade up for Luck...highly unlikely

2) Stay put and draft RG3 or Blackmon....less then 50% chance either is there

3) trade down...this is probably the best option...I wouldn't draft an o-lineman, corner or running back with the 6th pick...those will be the best players on the board.....with the lower rookie contracts, more teams will be willing to trade up....I can see a team trading up for Trent Richardson, Dre Kirkpatrick, Jonathan Martin, Reilly Reif or Quinton Coples.

There is zero chance that RG3 is still there at #6 overall. Seattle will either trade up or grab him at #4. Then there's teams like Miami, KC, Seattle etc that will make a run as well.

It's not going to be pretty but the Skins will have to pay the piper to get either Luck or RG3 this year.

Plus, we're well under the salary cap so we can pretty much fill out the roster through free agency.

Really?

Seems to me that the last few years, the pickings in FA for things we actually need - Oline, Receivers, DBs - has been pretty slim. Teams are re-signing their best players - ESPECIALLY linemen - before they hit the market.

I wouldn't count on FA at all. The last thing we need is a team full of 29-year old free agents who were judged by their former teams not to be worth the money they wanted. This team needs to get younger and faster and you don't do that via FA.

Draft picks has to be the lifeblood of this rebuild. I'd rather sign Flynn - make HIM the big FA aquisition- and continue to build this team with multiple draft picks.

Really?

Seems to me that the last few years, the pickings in FA for things we actually need - Oline, Receivers, DBs - has been pretty slim. Teams are re-signing their best players - ESPECIALLY linemen - before they hit the market.

I wouldn't count on FA at all. The last thing we need is a team full of 29-year old free agents who were judged by their former teams not to be worth the money they wanted. This team needs to get younger and faster and you don't do that via FA.

Draft picks has to be the lifeblood of this rebuild. I'd rather sign Flynn - make HIM the big FA aquisition- and continue to build this team with multiple draft picks.

So we're gonna put our entire trust of this team in the hands of a QB who has one great game and now has been crowned the messiah? Shall I warm up the failmobile?

I don't understand people's obsession with trading down. It worked for us last year because we did not want Gabbert and someone else did. We also happened to hit on almost every pick we got. That does not happen every year and a lot of that is because our team was so lacking in talent in the first place. We could have 100 picks in the draft, but if we keep ignoring the QB position, we will NEVER contend. It is time to get our QB, groom him in our system, and get weapons for him. Not the other way around. I am positive this is the year Shanny and Allen find their guy. Who that guy is, I have no idea. I'd love Luck or RG3. Maybe they like Flynn, but I doubt it. Maybe they like Tannehill or Jones or Weeden. If they don't trade up, I bet it's because they like someone else, not because the price wasn't right. He only has 5 years and Snyder has shown that patience isn't one of his virtues. This is the year that Shanahan must find his franchise QB. I'd love Blackmon in the B&G, but not if Rex is tossing passes to him. I'd rather see Luck or RG3 throwing to Stallworth IMO.

Archived