Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trading down to acquire more picks.

skins4ever17

I don't get the praise for the defense.

We gave up over 30 points in 4 of the last 5 games. The defense kinda stinks and no one seems to notice but me.

Honestly' date=' this is a 5-11 team with no QB and a mediocre at best defense. Yet, everyone here seems really really happy with the team. It's rather bizarre.[/quote']

It hurt badly have a hobbled Atogwe and Landry out. That makes a huge difference on our defense.

The defense is an order of magnitude better when our secondary is healthy.

Safety needs to be a priority. Neither Landry or Atogwe can be counted on at this point.

Gomes can develop into something decent but Doughty has to go.

When Landry and Atogwe are hurt.. which is pretty much half the time, the defense goes to crap. And we doubly go to crap when they are both hurt.

A true NT is someone who is umm..... ACTUALLY A NOSE TACKLE

Oh, you mean someone who:

A) commands double (and sometimes triple) teams

B) gets pressure up the middle

C) contributes a couple sacks

D) provides good run support

That's what you want, right?

That's exactly what Cofield and Neild do.

Agreed, The only pass rush we get is when we blitz more than 1... We are not getting any push up the middle... I like CoField think he would be better also in our end rotation and who knows how great Jenkins can be with the flashes he made in the preseason. Need the Road grader that needs to be double teamed every play, that would free up Carriker, Bowen and Jenkins. Then Imagine what Orakpo and Kerrigan. Look at the rushing yards we gave up to Minnesota with back up running backs, and third string QB! Look how at the end of the game we could not stop the eagles on the ground or in the air......

really have you watched the games to see how many times they get double teamed. None! did you see what Minnesota did to us with a third string quaterback and back up running back.... What D rank, We were not in the top ten. If we were we would have made the playoffs!

really have you watched the games to see how many times they get double teamed. None! did you see what Minnesota did to us with a third string quaterback and back up running back.... What D rank, We were not in the top ten. If we were we would have made the playoffs!

So you've watched specifically the DL in every game and counted zero double teams on the nose? Because I've watched specifically the DL in at least two games and saw a good number of doubles on Cofield and Neild.

Our first rounder is worth 1600 points and two 2nd rounders even high 2nd rounders are worth less than 1200 points. We need to draft and groom a young qb. If we can get rg3 at 6 great. If we need to trade up so be it. We haven't had a qb play in the same system since joe theism an.

This is the only right answer at this point IMO. We need to do what it takes to get Andrew Luck or RG3, whether that means trading up or staying pat. It needs to happen. Shanahan, at the very least needs to make a Cam Newton situation happen next season, i.e. draft a young QB that can start immediately and show promise regardless of where the overall team finishes next season. Anything else is a failure IMO and will likely lose him his job after 2012.

Can you gusy read blitzing more than one as we always rushed Kerrigan or Orakpo on every passing down and my statement was when you blitz (More Than) 1 which means we were always sending one making it 4 people rushing....

---------- Post added January-3rd-2012 at 03:40 PM ----------

so you say being ranked 16th against the rush is great! Really! Again we gave up 240 yards on the ground to Minny!!!!

Can you gusy read blitzing more than one as we always rushed Kerrigan or Orakpo on every passing down and my statement was when you blitz (More Than) 1 which means we were always sending one making it 4 people rushing...

I'll still play. Not many 3-4 teams get consistent pressure only rushing 4.

The 3-4 is a blitzing defense.

So you've watched specifically the DL in every game and counted zero double teams on the nose? Because I've watched specifically the DL in at least two games and saw a good number of doubles on Cofield and Neild.

Really so they are doing so well we were ranked 16th in rushing defense, I call that AVG. half of 32 teams!

that is why we always sent Kerrigan or Orakpo! Nield got two sacks first game at the end..... None after. Cofield got three, and I like that but run defense is ranked 16th! wonder why we lost so many close games we could not get off the field at the end of games!!!!! At the end we were dominated if you took away the first 5 games on D fense and then look at the last ones we would probably be ranked around 18th or 20th!

So we're gonna put our entire trust of this team in the hands of a QB who has one great game and now has been crowned the messiah? Shall I warm up the failmobile?

Sure. Or sign some other FA or trade a 2nd round pick for someone like McCoy. There will be LOTS of QBs in play this offseason depending on what alll these teams do.

Anything is better than trading away our draft picks. We've been driving that trade away our draft picks "failmobile" for 15 years now. It's worked out really well!

Set sail on the failboat har har har.

that is why we always sent Kerrigan or Orakpo! Nield got two sacks first game at the end..... None after. Cofield got three, and I like that but run defense is ranked 16th! wonder why we lost so many close games we could not get off the field at the end of games!!!!! At the end we were dominated if you took away the first 5 games on D fense and then look at the last ones we would probably be ranked around 18th or 20th!

Are you familiar with how a 3-4 works?

Your NTs are there to occupy space, period. Eat up double and triple teams. Anything beyond that is cake. Our NTs are doing just fine, it is not an area of need. Kerrigan and Orakpo are improving in run support, but they still have a ways to go.

If you take out the last 5 games on defense and then look at the first ones we would be ranked probably top 5. You can't just arbitrarily take away games and stats because it fits your argument.

I wish people would stop saying that. He's actually played TWO good games in the NFL.

That's two more than any of these folks people want to destroy our team (again) by trading our next 4 or 5 best players for.

It's not "destroying the team"

Shanahan has found quality players throughout the draft, he will continue to do so.

I wish people would stop saying that. He's actually played TWO good games in the NFL.

That's two more than any of these folks people want to destroy our team (again) by trading our next 4 or 5 best players for.

doesn't matter.

We want our own Aaron Rogers.. not someone elses 2nd rate Aaron Rogers.

Everyone in the league should learn a lesson watching Kevin Kolb in Zona.

Flynn wont come cheap either. Seattle and Miami will likely be looking hard at him.

Shanahan's drafts have shown he can find great talent through the entire draft. Giving up some first rounders to secure a QB for the next 10+ years is worth it. Even if we have to give up a second also we have 3-7 rounds to find quality players. For note if we had a competent QB this year there's a good chance we're getting ready for a playoff game at Fedex Field so that "destroying" part is quite irrelevant.

For note if we had a competent QB this year there's a good chance we're getting ready for a playoff game at Fedex Field so that "destroying" part is quite irrelevant.

This statement is nonsense. I could just as easily say that if we had a better offensive line, better receivers, and better DBs we'd have been playing a playoff game at Fed Ex.

"Destroying" is completely relevant. Trading away "a few" first rounders will destory the team. Again.

You'd think Skins fans would be tired of OTHER teams getting better at the Redskins' expense.

You'd be wrong.

This statement is nonsense. I could just as easily say that if we had a better offensive line, better receivers, and better DBs we'd have been playing a playoff game at Fed Ex.

"Destroying" is completely relevant. Trading away "a few" first rounders will destory the team. Again.

You'd think Skins fans would be tired of OTHER teams getting better at the Redskins' expense.

You'd be wrong.

Skin fans are tired of not having a franchise QB since Joey T. There's a difference between trading a few first rounders to secure a vital spot for 10 years and trading all your picks away for random old guys who will be around 1 year. We're not trading up for a 30 year old at the end of their career. We would be trading up a young QB who would lead our team for possibly 10-15 years.

Here is an article on Cofield and Haslett: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins-barry-cofield-becoming-a-hit-at-the-nose/2011/12/21/gIQArmFIAP_story.html

The front 7 is not an issue. The Skins just need to sign London back.

If I was a betting man, I would say that Mike and Bruce trade up to acquire Luck or RG3. After the comments the last couple of weeks you can tell QB is their number one concern this offseason. I don't think they will take someone through FA or trade, because if they fail then it is the same old, same old. (McNabb, Grossman, Beck)

Our LBs outside of London Fletcher are not all that impressive in the run game.

Snyder is being patient but no way he tolerates another FA QB failure. He'll let Shanahan slide with a young QB learning but he won't let Shanahan slide with another failed season because of a FA QB not panning out. Basically Shanahan has to find his QB in this draft. If Shanahan goes into this season with another FA QB and the season is horrible he'll be on the hotseat.

I think you and I are looking at it the same way. That is basically my belief. Fail with FA or Trade and your out. Fail with a drafted QB and you get a 4th year.

Here is an article on Cofield and Haslett: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins-barry-cofield-becoming-a-hit-at-the-nose/2011/12/21/gIQArmFIAP_story.html

The front 7 is not an issue. The Skins just need to sign London back.

If I was a betting man, I would say that Mike and Bruce trade up to acquire Luck or RG3. After the comments the last couple of weeks you can tell QB is their number one concern this offseason. I don't think they will take someone through FA or trade, because if they fail then it is the same old, same old. (McNabb, Grossman, Beck)

Snyder is being patient but no way he tolerates another FA QB failure. He'll let Shanahan slide with a young QB learning but he won't let Shanahan slide with another failed season because of a FA QB not panning out. Basically Shanahan has to find his QB in this draft. If Shanahan goes into this season with another FA QB and the season is horrible he'll be on the hotseat.

Archived