Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Peyton Manning or the #1 Pick?

Hitman21ST

Well the colts just fired their VP and the GM so i wonder what hat means for the draft

Exactly my point. Changes coming and possibility of Jeff Fisher who loves Peyton. See my tweets about how he wants an established QB. It's going to become clearer soon but I'm thinking they keep Manning and don't draft Luck if Fisher comes in, instead looking to trade out. Also going with what Archie Manning said about not believing Peyton and Luck could coexist.

Exactly my point. Changes coming and possibility of Jeff Fisher who loves Peyton. See my tweets about how he wants an established QB. It's going to become clearer soon but I'm thinking they keep Manning and don't draft Luck if Fisher comes in, instead looking to trade out. Also going with what Archie Manning said about not believing Peyton and Luck could coexist.

Floyd Reese is out there too. Could there be a resurrection of Reese as GM and Fisher as HC in Indy? It seems to me that Fisher had issues with the personnel side of the Titans after he (Floyd) left.

I would love the redskins to make a run at bill polian

his player personnel expertise is what has lacked in DC since beathard

I wouldn't. Our personnel moves have been spot on (save for McNabb, and that gets a pass since the whole NFL thought McNabb was going to be a professional about it) since Shanahan and Allen took over

of course you wouldnt hittman

you are and have been in the bag for this fail of a football franchise for what seems like ever

there are zero playmakers on this redskins team in all three phases

thats player personnel

name one elite play maker the shanahan/allen regime has added?

and dont give me any bs about kerrigan or anyone else in the last draft... its far too early to accept as fact anyone from the 2011 draft class as elite

I wouldn't. Our personnel moves have been spot on (save for McNabb, and that gets a pass since the whole NFL thought McNabb was going to be a professional about it) since Shanahan and Allen took over

Same here.

The lack of talent (evident after Manning went down this season) tells you all you need to know about Polian's poor performance over the last several years. I'm happy to stay the course with Shanahan/Allen.

you are and have been in the bag for this fail of a football franchise for what seems like ever

thats player personnel

and dont give me any bs about kerrigan or anyone else in the last draft... its far too early to accept as fact anyone from the 2011 draft class as elite

The "base" needs to be built up as we add playmakers. Both Hankerson and Jenkins looked good before each of them got injured. Helu and Royster look promising.

We actually play like a real team and are much younger.

Who have the Polians added over the last 2-3 years?

I just dont see any elite players added by this regime

considering they drafted in the 4th selection two years ago and in the 10th spot last season, I would have expected more

and the FAs they have added, some have been decent players and some not so much

but there are zero elite playmakers on the redskins roster if you look at the performance of it

I do believe kerrigan has a shot at being elite but after that, no addition from shanhan/allen has stepped forth to show themselves as potentially elite

I do believe that if shanhan wanted to work with polian on player personel matters, that would be a significant upgrade over allen

but I doubt polian would agree to an agrangement which the HC made the final decision about the roster anyway

so its really just a pipe dream unless shanahan was axed

and that aint gonna happen

I did not see the firing of the Colts GM happening. There must have been some blame assigned to him that they sucked without Peyton this season. Scapegoat.

Scapegoat? Who else should get the blame? The Colts completely collapsed under the Polians' watch, because they allowed it to. When Curtis Painter and Kerry Collins are your backup plans, and you start out 0-13 on a team expected to win the division, somebody has to take the blame.

thats player personnel

Yeah, I have been "in the bag" for the Redskins for what seems like ever. Is there a problem with that? :cool: Just because I'm not doom and gloom like you doesn't mean anything except I try to look at things objectively. :pfft:

Well, given the truncated offseason this past year, virtually no free agency last year due to no salary cap, Shanahan's and Allen's hands have been tied. Wouldn't you say?

You don't want to count this past draft because it's "too early." Fine. Last year, Shanahan had 6 picks, 3 that weren't in the 7th round. He was hung out to dry by the previous regime and had nothing to work with.

So anyway, I'll say Riley (who's turning into a very good linebacker), Williams (a very good LT), Kerrigan, Helu, Hankerson flashed up until his injury, Royster, Carriker, Bowen, Cofield.

He has also changed the attitude around here from "me first" to "team first."

Good enough for you?

I would love the redskins to make a run at bill polian

his player personnel expertise is what has lacked in DC since beathard

What? Polian's personal moves are widely regarded as sub par and that is being generous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianapolis_Colts_draft_history

---------- Post added January-2nd-2012 at 09:15 PM ----------

Until coaches are in place (and front offices) in Tampa, St. Louis, Indy, Jag's, and Dolphins (not to mention Chiefs, San Diego, and Jets) everything is very fluid.

polian has won the NFL's Executive of the Year award six times. two of the three teams he has GMed for have gone to the super bowl, and the other team reach its conference championship game

I could make the what have you done for me lately argument about shanahan too if you want to look at recent success as the barometer of whether either polian or shanhan is a credible option in todays NFL

fact is, I would argue that polian has been just as successful at doing his thing as shanahan has been at doing his

no one can tell me that polian is not more qualified to be an NFL GM then allen tho

and as for your list pf players Hitt.. all are no better than good right now

you still have not pointed out one addition since mike shanhan has been added that is elite

hows that for objective?

how long has it been since shanahan won coach of the year again?

thats right, he has never won it

shanahan has won one playoff game in the last 12 years as well

excuse me if I think a guy like polian can help an organization like the redskins

The Colts will most likely select Luck.

Play Manning in 2012, show the league that he is health and still can play at a high level.

Trade Manning in the off season of 2012 for a first round pick.

Go with Luck in 2013.

That makes NO sense

Cutting Peyton in 2013 or trading him will cost 22 million in cap space!

Luck and Manning WILL NOT be on the same roster

3 of the teams ahead of us in the draft (IND/STL/TB) will have major coaching and/or front office changes for next season. Right behind us, JAC is in a similar position. Also ahead of us, CLE/MIN recently drafted young QBs (as did JAC), but I think they could upgrade if they wanted to and the right opportunity came along.

It's unlikely, but if we're going to make a play for the top pick, I'd like to see us do it soon. If we can't get into the driver's spot for the draft quickly, I'd rather us copy last draft's approach (trade down). But, if we COULD get that #1 pick we could, in turn, look for trade partners ourselves and add more picks on draft night or whatever. I'm not convinced that trading up for any one player is our best course of action. But, worst case, we get Luck and go from there if we don't get an offer we like.

I know the Colts would have to be stupid to do that, but it's the only way I want to see us make the trade up with them.

3 of the teams ahead of us in the draft (IND/STL/TB) will have major coaching and/or front office changes for next season. Right behind us, JAC is in a similar position. Also ahead of us, CLE/MIN recently drafted young QBs (as did JAC), but I think they could upgrade if they wanted to and the right opportunity came along.

It's unlikely, but if we're going to make a play for the top pick, I'd like to see us do it soon. If we can't get into the driver's spot for the draft quickly, I'd rather us copy last draft's approach (trade down). But, if we COULD get that #1 pick we could, in turn, look for trade partners ourselves and add more picks on draft night or whatever. I'm not convinced that trading up for any one player is our best course of action. But, worst case, we get Luck and go from there if we don't get an offer we like.

I know the Colts would have to be stupid to do that, but it's the only way I want to see us make the trade up with them.

One big problem with your theory and not necessarily in any order but there's free agency, senior bowl, combine, college pro days, etc. Anything can happen between now and the draft, like your top QB prospect slipping on a bar of soap in the shower and breaking a leg.

Archived