Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Peyton Manning or the #1 Pick?

Hitman21ST

But I ask, why can't Manning and Luck be on the same roster? People are assuming Indy is just going to flat out cut Manning after they pay him $28 million? I can't see that happening at all. They can't trade Manning before paying him this money from what I understand, so I think it's a moot point thinking Manning gets traded at all. The Colts simply won't get rid of Manning. The cap hit for this year, from what I have read, would be around $38 million, and $28 million next year. So, you're looking at Manning staying on the roster for at least another two seasons whether if he's playing or not.

Maybe Manning retires and all this speculation is moot, but I don't know if I see that happening. I think all of this other talk is just smoke screen stuff. In the end, Indy drafts Luck, Luck backs Manning for a couple of seasons, and then starts.

So you're just going to ignore that they'll have about 40-45 mil in cap space in two quarterbacks?

What about Manning saying if they take Luck, he needs to start from day one?

So you're just going to ignore that they'll have about 40-45 mil in cap space in two quarterbacks?

Manning's deal is Manning's deal. Luck is only going to cost them $5-6M or so per year. I think it's perfectly reasonable for them to have both on the roster. I would keep them both for a couple of years if I were the GM.

That would be my plan as well. If Luck really is that once in a generation NFL ready QB though I can certainly see why you might just sit tight and make him the pick and then rebuild around him. If the Colts have anew HC and coaching staff that might influence the clean start approach as well.

Thing is...I just don't believe the Colts are this bad. They can't be THIS bad JUST because Peyton Manning got hurt. I think the problems come down to coaching, not to the players. There's a lot of guys on that team that play at a relatively high level. But that coaching staff...Jesus. They fired their defensive coordinator in season. Caldwell just keeps looking hapless as all get out. I don't think they even had an official offensive coordinator when Peyton got hurt.

Look at the division. Next year, you're looking at Jacksonville and probably Tennessee starting second year players at quarterback. With Peyton, it's pretty much a two horse race for the division. Without him, you're looking up at the Texans. And something tells me Polian and Irsay aren't really about rebuilding. They still have some Super Bowl talent on that team. One or two guys is going to get away (either Wayne or Mathis; they won't keep both), but you're probably still going to be able to resign Garcon, Collie is still there, Dallas Clark is there, Jacob Tamme showed he could played a little bit last year. They've got a left tackle in Castonzo that's probably going to prove to be solid. You stilll have Freeney, Angerer playing like a beast..they've got the talent to be playoff competitors with some good free agent signings and a solid draft class, which, if they had a slew of picks, would be a lot easier.

I just think they need some sort of new coaches. A new defense, because their Tampa 2 thing isn't working for them anymore.

Just something to think about.

Manning's deal is Manning's deal. Luck is only going to cost them $5-6M or so per year. I think it's perfectly reasonable for them to have both on the roster. I would keep them both for a couple of years if I were the GM.

Manning specifically said that "if the Colts draft Luck #1 overall, he needs to start from day one"

Colts keeping Manning and trading the picks. Thats why they won't let Manning play this year. If they was going to trade Manning they should or would have played Manning just to show he is go to go. Now teams won't be able to see that and it won't be no trading for him now. Just isn't going to happen.

They could just cut Manning. His salary is huge, and they could easily pay for Luck and a half dozen B+ guys from FA with it. They could seriously sweep FA with the money they'd save.

If I was running the Colts, that's what I'd do. Toss Manning, and if he's not too angry, see if he wants to be QB coach.

They could just cut Manning. His salary is huge, and they could easily pay for Luck and a half dozen B+ guys from FA with it. They could seriously sweep FA with the money they'd save.

If I was running the Colts, that's what I'd do. Toss Manning, and if he's not too angry, see if he wants to be QB coach.

restructure and trade, after a long discussion with Manning himself of course. You can't just cut Peyton Manning unless he's full blown set on retirement and that voids the point. There is a level of respect, unlike anybody ever to play the game, that you must give to Manning and what he's done for the organization. If he's back 100%, which it sounds like from reports that he's tossing pretty well, and in pads.... do you really want to gamble on a rookie and have him go against a team with Peyton Manning as an opponent if you're the Colts organization? I'd say P. Manning has a lot of insight on what goes on with "his" team

$40-$45 million in cap space or cap HIT? Two different things. Cap space, then heck yeah you have both QBs on your roster. Cap hit? Well, let's be reminded of the rookie salary cap. The Colts aren't going to pay Luck the big coinage like rookie stars used to get right off the bat, so that's not a concern.

Can you provide a link? I did a google search and came up empty.

I was wrong, it wasn't Peyton, it was Archie:

http://www.playerpress.com/articles/15440-peyton-manning-doesnt-want-andrew-luck

“I don’t think it’d necessarily be great for either one,” the elder Manning said. “I doubt if either one want to play on the same team.”

Manning went on to say that Luck is the type of player that is mature enough and talented enough to walk right in and take over as the starter.

When are we all going to learn that WE DONT NEED OR WANT an overpriced and in this case possibly unhealthy QB, let MS pick the best available QB in the draft in April, sheeeeeesh you all complained years ago when we did this overpriced players thing now you want us to do it again HELL NO I say we need youth and we need depth if we have that much money in cap space thats a bonus for us...lets not waste it

Only thing is do Luck like that situation? That is going to be a serious question.

This is a question of hypotheticals in which there has already been discussion on. The Colts are not going to get rid of Manning in a trade and they aren't going to trade the #1 pick in the draft to the Redskins. No matter how badly everyone wants this to happen it just won't especially when there is too much to lose by going all in. The OP and the rest of these guys that are asking for this are the same guys that don't want this team to be successful. Besides with Manning we might get to the playoffs but he would be lost in the offense the Redskins run and Luck is not going to be an instant success like everyone here believes he will be. So please stop the madness and the insane belief that any of this is going to happen.

I'm not saying that I think it's going to happen, but I do consider it to be a possibilty. Kinda like I consider it a possibility that the lame ass Eagles can win the division. It's not probable, but not really that far fetched when you think about it.

Manning wants to play. Luck is going to want to play. I do think that the Colts are going to take Luck, and when that happens, I think Manning is going to want out. The Colts could simply release him, and he'll sign with another team.

I would not oppose the idea of us signing him, if we were able to draft Tannehill. We have a lot of cap room, and we wouldn't lose any draft picks. Peyton could play a few years, and we could groom our franchise guy.

To think that I am part of some movement that wants this team to fail, is absolute folly. I could care less what our draft position is, I will never pull against our guys. We smacked the Gmen on Sunday at their place, and I am pulling for the Eagles to win this week, so we can smack them out of the playoffs next week. :)

I thought that was the quote you were referring to. Archie later retracted that statement.

In any event, I cannot imagine the Colts trading the #1 pick to us under any realistic circumstances and I don't want an old Manning.

With the current situation for the coming year, I would hands down take the pick and select luck. Manning may only have a couple of good years ahead of him, and that's if he can stay healthy. Now the realistic side of things, there is no chance in HELL that we land either one of these guys, we would have to give up the farm and the wife to land either one and that's something that this team can't afford.

With the current situation for the coming year, I would hands down take the pick and select luck. Manning may only have a couple of good years ahead of him, and that's if he can stay healthy. Now the realistic side of things, there is no chance in HELL that we land either one of these guys, we would have to give up the farm and the wife to land either one and that's something that this team can't afford.

Making the wife part of the deal is extremely tempting! Let's do it!!

there's no way the colts trade manning, if healthy, no matter how highly rated luck is... they cash-in and trade the #1 pick to the another team and build where they obviously need it... after this miserable year without manning, it's a no-brainer.

but please don't trade the #1 to us... and i don't think allen and shanny would let it happen... we will get a "speculative 1st round QB" and continue to build.

there's just no guarantee with a QB in the first round, period.... so why gamble?

We will find out in March what the Colts are going to do. If they pay Peyton's bonus. They will trade that pick. Luck is not going to want to be there. And if that happens we will be that team. And it should be. We are a team that can afford to with this FO and Coaching Staff. We already have a team with its main parts except QB. We have LT to protect our QB. Our system gets WRs open but Mike also has show he can find a stud in lower rounds. For our defense we already have a top 10 defense and its young and still learning. It is going to get better. We have a NT and two young stud OLBs. We really not that far off. It would be nice to have the 1st rounders in 2013 and 2014 but to get the Best QB in this generation you got to try and get it.

We will find out in March what the Colts are going to do. If they pay Peyton's bonus. They will trade that pick. Luck is not going to want to be there. And if that happens we will be that team. And it should be. We are a team that can afford to with this FO and Coaching Staff. We already have a team with its main parts except QB. We have LT to protect our QB. Our system gets WRs open but Mike also has show he can find a stud in lower rounds. For our defense we already have a top 10 defense and its young and still learning. It is going to get better. We have a NT and two young stud OLBs. We really not that far off. It would be nice to have the 1st rounders in 2013 and 2014 but to get the Best QB in this generation you got to try and get it.

This is a good sounding post. I was actually talking to my best friend about this today and me and him included Cooley/Hall or Cooley/Landry in the deal as well. We can afford to let those players go in my mind without too much of a setback to either position. Those two with a 1st rounder may sweeten the deal for the colts a little bit and I believe that if we let hall go int he deal and keep our second we can get luck in the first and a good young starting corner in the second. We are set at TE so it wouldn't even be a setback in that situation.

We won't get him.

Archived