Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Peyton Manning or the #1 Pick?

Hitman21ST

Shanahan preparing a trade package to move up and get Luck if the Rams have the 1st overall pick (which is entirely possible) and you're not sure how it's news?

Have you looked at how the Rams land the #1 pick? 8Ball says "Highly Unlikely."

---------- Post added December-22nd-2011 at 12:19 PM ----------

Purely from a Colts POV, I'd trade the pick to restock your woeful team (think Hershel Walker and Dallas) and keep the face of your franchise for another 3-5 years. While it's a rare opportunity to draft a player like Luck, if you already have the current Manning then you don't need to get the next Manning, and it's even a rarer chance to get a treasure trove of picks like they would get for the Luck pick. If Manning is healthy (key to the whole thing), and they draft fairly good with all these extra picks, they could be winning the Super Bowl again in two years.

From the Colts' POV, 2011 tells them loud and clear, "a stud QB can make a terrible team great." So, if I'm Polian, I keep Manning and draft Luck. I think there's a lot of wishful thinking on this board. We aren't going to draft Luck. End of story.

None of the above. Mike S. will not mortgage our future for Mr. Luck. <---That's a period

There are too many good QBs in next year's draft. Play offense like the Texans, play D like the Steelers and draft like the Pats. Lots and lots of picks.

That's what we said last year, too. Sooner or later you have to bite the bullet.

Brett Farve ------> Arron Rogers

Peyton Manning ------> Andrew Luck

Rodgers was the #22 pick overall. It's not unusual to sit a #22 guy. It IS unusual to sit a #1 guy overall, which is what Luck will be. Besides, the Colts have far too many holes to just take Luck and believe they won't miss a beat.

I'm just saying that theres no reason you can't have both.

Except that the Colts need a lot more than just a quarterback to be successful in the future.

Also, which number one picks have turned out to be good QBs? (i'm ignorant on the issue, but it seems that most of the time high value picks don't pan out)

Since the beginning of the draft era? Here are the QBs taken 1st overall:

Cam Newton - yes

Sam Bradford - yes

Matt Stafford - yes

JaMarcus Russell - no

Alex Smith - yes (finally)

Eli Manning - yes

Carson Palmer - yes (until his injury)

David Carr - no

Michael Vick - yes

Tim Couch - push

Peyton Manning - yes

Drew Bledsoe - yes

Jeff George - push

Troy Aikman - yes

Vinny Testaverde - yes

John Elway - yes

Steve Bartkowski - yes

Jim Plunkett - yes

Terry Bradshaw - yes

Jack Concannon - ?

Terry Baker - ?

Roman Gabriel - ?

Randy Duncan - ?

King Hill - ?

George Shaw - ?

Bobby Garrett - ?

Bill Wade - ?

Harry Gilmer - ?

Frank Dancewicz - ?

Angelo Bertelli - ?

Since Terry Bradshaw (1970) they've been pretty good

Rodgers was the #22 pick overall. It's not unusual to sit a #22 guy. It IS unusual to sit a #1 guy overall, which is what Luck will be.

That used to be true, before the change to the rookie wage scale. You don't need to play them to justify their crazy salaries, because they no longer get crazy salaries.

Besides, the Colts have far too many holes to just take Luck and believe they won't miss a beat.

They have been a perennial Super Bowl contender with pretty much the same roster they've got now. I think this season has driven home the point that a great QB can do wonders for a team and, by extension (1) if a once in a lifetime QB prospect comes around, you draft him and (2) if you have a HoF QB who can still play at a high level, you don't trade or release him.

TThey have been a perennial Super Bowl contender with pretty much the same roster they've got now. I think this season has driven home the point that a great QB can do wonders for a team and, by extension (1) if a once in a lifetime QB prospect comes around, you draft him and (2) if you have a HoF QB who can still play at a high level, you don't trade or release him.

There's a lot of talk about Reggie Wayne leaving, and Saturday and possibly Freeney retiring. Not to mention their secondary is atrocious and their running backs need help.

Don't you think he is preparing for any and all scenarios? That's generally what GMs do ahead of the draft. It's obvious we need a QB. It's obvious we will consider trading up if necessary.

Again, I don't see how the revelation that he is "preparing a trade package" is news since I view it as contingency planning. I'd be concerned if he wasn't doing it.

Theoretically, yes he should be preparing for all potential scenarios, but if someone inside the organization can shed light on one of those scenarios and leak that information to the public as fact, confirming our suspicions, then I don't understand how you think it's not news.

Have you looked at how the Rams land the #1 pick? 8Ball says "Highly Unlikely."

From my understanding the Colts would have to win another game and the Rams would have to lose out, is that correct? Because the Rams have the Steelers and 49ers left and the Colts have the Texans (trailing them 13-6 right now) and the Jags, both winnable divisional games all things considered. Is it really that far fetched?

From my understanding the Colts would have to win another game and the Rams would have to lose out, is that correct? Because the Rams have the Steelers and 49ers left and the Colts have the Texans (trailing them 13-6 right now) and the Jags, both winnable divisional games all things considered. Is it really that far fetched?

If the Colts win another game and the Rams lose out, the two teams will have the same record. Ties are broken by strength of schedule. The Colts' current strength of schedule is 120-104, while the Rams is 132-92. That's a lot of ground to cover in 2 weeks. If we end up with Manning, it's because we either overpaid out of sheer desperation or his health is so bad the Colts decided he's done. If we end up with Luck, it's because we overpaid or the Colts surprised everyone by winning out.

IMO, the most likely scenario is we trade up to #2 to nab Griffin from the Rams or Vikes.

If the Colts win another game and the Rams lose out, the two teams will have the same record. Ties are broken by strength of schedule. The Colts' current strength of schedule is 120-104, while the Rams is 132-92. That's a lot of ground to cover in 2 weeks. If we end up with Manning, it's because we either overpaid out of sheer desperation or his health is so bad the Colts decided he's done. If we end up with Luck, it's because we overpaid or the Colts surprised everyone by winning out.

IMO, the most likely scenario is we trade up to #2 to nab Griffin from the Rams or Vikes.

Well, the Colts just won their second straight game. Next up is the Jags which is definitely a winnable game for them.

And for the love of god if we trade for Peyton Manning, I'm going to think about skipping next season. A move like that reeks of the Snyderesque bad decisions that have been crippling this team for the last decade+. Which is sad to say because I'm a big Peyton Manning fan, but a move like that is destined to blow up in our faces.

Except that the Colts need a lot more than just a quarterback to be successful in the future.

Since the beginning of the draft era? Here are the QBs taken 1st overall:

Cam Newton - yes

Sam Bradford - yes

Matt Stafford - yes

JaMarcus Russell - no

Alex Smith - yes (finally)

Eli Manning - yes

Carson Palmer - yes (until his injury)

David Carr - no

Michael Vick - yes

Tim Couch - push

Peyton Manning - yes

Drew Bledsoe - yes

Jeff George - push

Troy Aikman - yes

Vinny Testaverde - yes

John Elway - yes

Steve Bartkowski - yes

Jim Plunkett - yes

Terry Bradshaw - yes

Jack Concannon - ?

Terry Baker - ?

Roman Gabriel - ?

Randy Duncan - ?

King Hill - ?

George Shaw - ?

Bobby Garrett - ?

Bill Wade - ?

Harry Gilmer - ?

Frank Dancewicz - ?

Angelo Bertelli - ?

Since Terry Bradshaw (1970) they've been pretty good

Drew Bledsoe was a good QB? But, thanks for the list... didn't realize all those people were number one picks

Testaverde took about eight years and at least one team change to become a good QB, Bartowski was only "good", Plunkett took a team change or two to get anywhere, I don't see how you can declare Couch a push,

---------- Post added December-24th-2011 at 09:43 AM ----------

Why exactly can't we have our cake and eat it too? Get Peyton Manning, have him play a year, draft a QB next year, then have him learn under Peyton Manning. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Fouts learn under Unitas?

I'm not sure Manning would be a good teacher. I mean the guy has obviously been a franchise QB, future HOFer for years, but he wants absolutely no competition from his backup and their main oncern was keeping a guy he got along with?

• 2 weeks later...

All the meetings in Indy with Irsay, Polian(s), Caldwell, etc. seems like Caldwell's job is hanging by a thread. If that happen and say Fisher took over, he'd likely keep Manning.

Wonder what that would do to their #1 pick position?

TK (@TKextremeskins)

Not our area BUT Fish said established QB will factor where he coaches next. He's coached against Peyton twice a year in TN. Even caught flack for wearing Peyton's jersey that time. Hmmm....“@Jsteelzout2dome: seen Jim Irsay said getting it back at No Matter what it take.Manning first thing flashe but he is meeting with Polian and Caldwell tonight.”

@AlbertBreer

Albert Breer

Hearing Fisher's name tossed around w/a lot of jobs ... So worth repeating -- Going to a place w/an established QB is big priority for him.

Archived