Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Peyton Manning or the #1 Pick?

Hitman21ST

Seeing as how we (more than likely) are going to either be trading for a quarterback or up in the draft to get a quarterback, what would be worth more: a fully healthy Peyton Manning or the number one pick in the draft, from the Colts' perspective and from the other team's perspective?

I would think that the Colts value Manning more than other teams (would ask more for him than other teams would want to offer), and teams would be willing to trade more picks for the number one spot.

That's an interesting question.

For the Colts, I think they would want a fully healthy Manning, and go "all-in", keep the team together and add a few pieces, and make another couple runs at a title.

For any other team that wants to make a go at it - Jets, Dolphins, Raiders, 49ers come to mind (though San Fran seems to have a good thing going with Smith, we'll know after the playoffs) - Manning also makes sense.

For any rebuilding/young team, you gotta go #1.

As Skins fans, we'd all LOVE to see Peyton Manning in B&G....but let's face it, this team is rebuilding. A young QB is the way to go.

From the colts perspective - Manning has been THE guy for such a long time for them, i think they have to value him more then the number 1 pick even if it is Andrew Luck.

From another teams perspective- Although manning would be awesome he's close to the end of his career, and Luck is going to give a franchise a quarterback for atleast 10+years.

Luck > Manning. Maybe not for the next 3-4 year, but def in the long run

Colts keeping Manning and trading the picks. Thats why they won't let Manning play this year. If they was going to trade Manning they should or would have played Manning just to show he is go to go. Now teams won't be able to see that and it won't be no trading for him now. Just isn't going to happen.

I want our own QB to make or break. We haven't had a stud 1st round QB since Heath. Patrick was was a Vinny/Danny pick and he was about as low a profile guy a first round pick can get. Given the outcome of those two careers and our record with FA QBs over the past decade, its time to start fresh. No trades, no FAs.

From the Colts perspective - as long as Peyton is cleared by the medical staff, you take him over the #1 pick. You flip that pick into several (desperately needed) rookies to replenish the roster and make another SB push.

From everyone else's perspective - you value the #1 pick over Peyton. Even for an established team that just needs a QB to top things off, they should take the #1 pick and hope that the rookie QB advances enough by year #2 to make the playoff run.

Because Manning is owed a $20 million+ bonus I am inclined to think that the Colts will release Manning, save the money, then draft Luck #1. But who knows? Maybe Manning will redo his deal and the Colts will then trade the #1 pick. Or Maybe Manning redoes his contract and the Colts still take Luck. Doubtful imo, but still possible.

If we have the opportunity to select Barkley or Griffin with our 1st round pick I think that's the smart way to go. Get a young guy in at QB and hopefully have him as a quality 10 year starter.

It gets interesting if we win one or both of our remaining games and it appears that we won't have a shot at Barkley or Griffin without trading up. In that scenario would the FO make an attempt at signing Manning if he is released? If they did, it would give us plenty of options with our first round pick. We could draft an OL or WR, or trade down. And the FO could still target a Tannehill later in the 1st round (I'm not sure he will be there in the 2nd).

The one thing that I hope does not play out is Barkley and Griffin getting taken before our pick, and we panic and take Landry Jones just for the sake of taking a QB with our 1st round pick. I have confidence the FO won't do that, though, since they passed on Gabbert last year when he was available at #10.

My gut says we will wind up picking #4-7 and will take Griffin without having to trade up.

I like Manning but we should definitely draft a QB with our first pick. I think any of the top 3 QB in the draft could come here and be successful in their first year and beyond. We have the makings of a strong running game, oline could be set next year, and the "D" is top ten. Those three things right there will make an average young QB look very good.

Let the Colts keep P. Manning. He's been in the same offense his entire career. Putting him in a west coast offense is a risky move. Trying to train him to be a Shanahan robot won't bode well either. Manning is accustomed to calling his own plays, and weather Kyle Shanahan and Mike Shanahan allows that would be interesting to find out. No, let's keep our first round pick and draft our own QB.

I would be pretty pissed if the Redskins traded for Peyton. I don't think he would be able to take a new team to the promise land as many assume and we would only get him for 2 or 3 years. This would be the consistent mediocre cycle the Skins have been in. I am just crossing my fingers and hoping whatever QB they draft can be at least an 8 to 10 year guy.

---------- Post added December-21st-2011 at 01:00 PM ----------

Also, week 17 Indy does play Jacksonville, so there is a possiblity they could win and not keep the number 1 spot in the draft.

What do you think the price of that #1 pick for Luck will actually be? I would absolutely LOVE to get that kid on our roster but I bet that price is huge. 3 #1's plus some?

3 first is too much..more like 2... Itll be this years 1 and 3 and next years 1 and 6 most likely

The Colts still value Peyton Manning, but they're also picking Andrew Luck in the draft.

The thing is, Peyton isn't just a player on the Colts, he IS the colts. To cut him lose for any reason right now basically means that you're starting over fresh. I have heard some folks think that what the colts should do is not only trade Peyton, but allow Polian (who's semi-retired, and his son is apparently running the football ops now) to leave, fire Caldwell, and just start all over with Luck and a bunch of young guys.

But there's no question that the Colts, and specifically the owner, view Peyton as THE guy over all others. And lets be honest. Luck might be good, he might not be. But even if he's good, or even great, he's unlikely to be as good as Peyton has been.

From the Colts perspective - as long as Peyton is cleared by the medical staff, you take him over the #1 pick. You flip that pick into several (desperately needed) rookies to replenish the roster and make another SB push.

From everyone else's perspective - you value the #1 pick over Peyton. Even for an established team that just needs a QB to top things off, they should take the #1 pick and hope that the rookie QB advances enough by year #2 to make the playoff run.

I agree with this to a point. I think that if you thought that your team was SB worthy minus QB, you could take a chance on Peyton for a year or two to see if he can get you over the hump. Like Minny did with Brett Favre a few years ago. It was worth a shot, because T. Jackson sucked, but the rest of the team was damn good. They made it all the way to the NFC Championship Game. Probably was a gamble worth taking. (Not that they had to trade to get Favre, just comparing situations.)

Because Manning is owed a $20 million+ bonus I am inclined to think that the Colts will release Manning, save the money, then draft Luck #1. But who knows? Maybe Manning will redo his deal and the Colts will then trade the #1 pick. Or Maybe Manning redoes his contract and the Colts still take Luck. Doubtful imo, but still possible.

I don't think that the Colts will pay a #1 pick #1 money to sit around for 2-3 years, and pay Peyton $28million dollar bonus. (That's what I heard it was in March.) Could be wrong, but that's my guess.

------------------------------------------------------

Another thought: If you were Peyton, wouldn't you think maybe that the best thing to do would be to move on? It's clear that this team just isn't that great. And they need A LOT of help. He's got to realize that he by himself is not going to cure all of the ills. So, if you were Peyton, understanding both ego and attachment to the team and fan base, wouldn't you think "Ok, it's been a great run, I'm comfortable leaving and playing for another contender while they rebuild?"

1. We aren't trading for Manning. He does NOT fit our offense.

2. Tom Condon is looking to sign Luck as a client.

3. Have fun figuring out what #2 above means. :)

Amen.... Condon will be receiving close to around 800,000 for signing Luck. Agents work on 3% commission. This is true if Luck is #1 pick

1. We aren't trading for Manning. He does NOT fit our offense.

2. Tom Condon is looking to sign Luck as a client.

3. Have fun figuring out what #2 above means. :)

1. I wasn't trying to say we would, just something to think about when figuring out what it would take to trade for the pick.

2. Heard that on Dan Patrick

3. Condon's Manning's agent, so there will be some real double dealing going on :pfft:

4. I'm on to your little games, TK ;)

Archived