Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cursed or result of previous bad management?

MCnDaHouse

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I think claiming an Indian tribe can put a curse on the team is actually more insulting than the team name ever could be lol...

lol, for real. That's racial stereotyping at it's finest, thinking some indians put on their feather headdresses and did a rain dance to curse a football team haha.

I voted for bad management. The Redskins organization have repeated their mistakes several times over the last decade and Shanahan signed as head coach to deal with it just like the coaches that came before him. I'm going to assume that Mike Shanahan underestimated how bad this team really was. People have to learn lessons on their own the hard way. 2009 season was the start of reality for Dan Snyder. I believe that was the first time he finally understood the damage he and Vinny Cerrato has caused to this organization. Vinny Cerrato did everything he could to keep Snyder happy but didn't work. Say what you want about Jim Zorn but he was set up to fail.

Joe Gibbs would of been better off had he just stuck with his 2005 offense. It was actually working for a good portion of the 2005 season then Brunell regressed during the 5 game winning streak. During this span, the Redskins made some questionable trades that impacted future drafts.

The 90s, Norv Turner going through the same phrase now with the Chargers than he did with the Redskins and this organization pre-Snyder let Trent Green get away. This is debatable as Trent Green wouldn't play for the 1999 season as Kurt Warner took over and the rest is history.

All this curse talk is preposterous. They just haven't draft well since 1993.

On 2005: I'm right there with you. Also, remember that Brunell hurt his leg towards the end of the season and was very hobbled. Ramsey came in for a bit of that Giants game and ended up actually throwing a touchdown pass to Moss. Randy Thomas broke his leg, too. That 2005 team was a blown two-point conversion call from being the number two seed in the NFC.

I think that we have, for 20 years, tried to improve things that didn't need improvement and ignore things that were gaping holes.

And a curse? Seriously?

---------- Post added December-9th-2011 at 07:40 PM ----------

I'm gonna have to say it's probably not the Indian curse.

Just have to quote you in order to say that your name rocks.

War Paint, when I think of "Indians" and various aspects of racially-based stereotyping and stupidity, I always think of this gem (and this was during the OST series)

ComancheBlancoOneSheet_2.jpg

William Shatner plays two roles: cowboy Johnny Moon and his ruthless Indian twin brother, Notah.

:ols::ols::ols::ols:

On 2005: I'm right there with you. Also, remember that Brunell hurt his leg towards the end of the season and was very hobbled. Ramsey came in for a bit of that Giants game and ended up actually throwing a touchdown pass to Moss. Randy Thomas broke his leg, too. That 2005 team was a blown two-point conversion call from being the number two seed in the NFC.

I think that we have, for 20 years, tried to improve things that didn't need improvement and ignore things that were gaping holes.

I remember, I was at the game. Brunell was playing horrible before the Giants game. Remeber the 3 INTs against the Cardinals. It was a foreshadow for the 2006 season. Letting Ryan Clark go for Adam Archuleta comes to mind of unnecessary improvement and Randy Thomas breaking his leg was the first sign of needed attention to the offensive line that went ignored for another 5 years.

Who said an Indian tribe put a curse on us? I've never once heard this.

I don't think anyone has ever pointed to a specific tribe and said they cursed us. Some however believe that we are cursed because of the name. I've heard it insinuated quite a few times. In fact, I heard a caller on ESPN 980 a week or so ago call in and said that we were cursed due to our name and it all started when some Native Americans began their protests against the name. Obviously that caller implied that those indians put a jinx on us. He was talking to Doc Walker.

The Washington Redskins are not a cursed team. As much as it may seem like they are at times, the simple reality is that since Gibbs left the first time very little has been done right. Very little, and all the things that have been done wrong, compound on each other until you get some people believing that the team is "cursed." I admit, when I've been frustrated during a game, or right after another frustrating loss I have thrown that "cursed" thing out there....in the moment, and in total and complete frustration. The idea the team is "cursed" is just the culmination of everything done wrong, amounting to everything going wrong on the field.

The Redskins problems are almost entirely the fault of the organization with some bad luck thrown in the mix.

Now...with a little patience, and a little luck, (because a little bit of luck does play into this whether people want to admit it or not) for instance striking gold in the draft with your franchise QB. Getting some mid/late round picks that turn out to be gems. Making good calls in free agency. Cutting or trading your dead weight. The ball bounces your way a few times and you win the close ones. I believe 100% we are really not as far off as some people think. Take out the injury bug that bit the team this year, and I really believe they had a legit shot to go at least .500. A few more pieces in place, and we have the chance to really make some noise sometime in the relative near future. The darkest hour is just before the dawn Overall, we have been on a steady incline since the end of the 2009 season and the hiring of Allen and Shanahan. The last bit of evidence that will show the growth of the organization...will be the results on the field.

I don't think anyone has ever pointed to a specific tribe and said they cursed us. Some however believe that we are cursed because of the name. I've heard it insinuated quite a few times. In fact, I heard a caller on ESPN 980 a week or so ago call in and said that we were cursed due to our name and it all started when some Native Americans began their protests against the name. Obviously that caller implied that those indians put a jinx on us. He was talking to Doc Walker.

You know what I find hilarious. You talk to some of these people who believe the team is "cursed" long enough, and inevitably you find out they are atheist. :ols: How can the team be "cursed," if there is no higher power?

The Washington Redskins have won FIVE N.F.L. championships, three of which were Lombardi trophys. Many teams have won zero. If we are cursed for our name, what in the hell is the problem with these teams?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Has_any_NFL_team_not_won_a_Super_Bowl_championship

Minnesota Vikings (0-4)

Buffalo Bills (0-4)

Cincinnati Bengals (0-2)

Philadelphia Eagles (0-2)

Tennessee Titans (0-1)

San Diego Chargers (0-1)

Atlanta Falcons (0-1)

Carolina Panthers (0-1)

Arizona Cardinals (0-1)

Seattle Seahawks (0-1)

Cleveland Browns

Houston Texans

Jacksonville Jaguars

Detroit Lions

No curse, even if such a thing exists. Just 10 years where draft picks were spent on questionable acquisitions, grabbing fading players with diminishing talent. Sure, you had the occasional Bruce Smith and London Fletcher, but in addition you had too many of the Jeff Georges, Deion Sanders, and Adam Archuletas. It could have been even worse when Vinny tried to trade two first round picks for Ochostinko.or Cutler. The management then never drafted OL or DL and the team that is here today is the poster child for that neglect.

New management has the current team in rebuilding modewith . Last year, the big picks in the first and second rounds (Kerrigan and Jenkins) improved the defense. Some quality was found in later rounds with Helu and Hankerson. After bypassing some questionable QB talent last year, the Skins are now in perfect position: 3 or 4 talented QB's available in a draft where the Skins pick between 4th and 6th where the teams above them in draft order do not need a QB. If you couple that with some of the injured guys coming back, this team has a chance to make major improvements in the offense next year, drafting a franxchise QB and at least one stellar OL to protect him. There were a lot of injuries this year and, of course, the morons who smoked their way off the team, but I see good things next year. Next year, I see a new QB, the return of Hankerson and Jenkins, Cooley and the two potheads. Rex will probably start the season, making room for the new QB after midseason, and a couple of new OL will make a difference in the running game and pass protection. The glass is looking more than half full to me.With the old management, it was empty.

Frankly, it's a bit of both.

You look at the bounces we don't get... I particularly think of the Dallas game where five fumbled snaps resulted in zero sacks and no turnovers and not even lost yardage and that just seems impossible. You look at the crazy string of injuries and to whom, and you look at all the other really bizarre things that seem to happen to this team like volleyball receptions and fumbles just always taking funny hops back to the opponent... it's more than just bad management.

Much of what happens to this team is self inflicted, but I guarantee if you look at the luck plays, we are on the very downside of the ledger. These things are supposed to balance out, but do they?

Someone once said an Indian tribe put a curse on the Skins. When you look at the games a lot of times it will really get you thinking that we just can't buy a break. I mean if anything weird can happen it does (look at the New Orleans game where we intercept then the ball is taken away).

Do you think it's a curse or is it just the result of bad management/personnel from the Cerrato days?

Did those Indians put the curse on after the 3 Super Bowl wins? Pretty sure their is no curse.

I don't believe in Curses. I walk under ladders and speed up for black cats. I think Bad Management and ownership undermining the Good Managers when they were here, ie Gibbs 2 and Marty. The other guys were not equipped as NFL Head Coaches IMO. But the guy there now is, so lets enjoy the climb back into relativity. Keep drafting the right people and hiring the right F/A's.

We're not cursed.

1) We haven't been able to find a franchise quarterback. Until you have this, you cannot consistently win in the NFL.

2) Until recently we haven't fortified our lines on either side of the ball. We've recently bulked up the DL, now we have to finish the work on the OL.

3) We have emphasized Free Agency over the draft, which alienates current players on the roster seeking contracts (see 2011 Eagles for an example). The NFL is a business. Imagine if your office management team brought in a bunch of new co-workers, but paid them all more than you and your peers, and in many cases they had equal or less ability. What would that do for morale? The Skins have struggled with this (2000, 2006, 2009), much like the Eagles are now.

4) We've had too much CHANGE in the last 10 years (prior to that we had the disaster which was Norv / Casserly / Shuler / Westbrook / Rod Stephens / Stanley RIchard, etc). Since then we've had consistent change in Coaches, Schemes, Players, etc.

a) Offense. Went from a Norv Turner System to a Marty S. pound it system to a Spurrier spread system, back to a Gibbs pound-it system, to a 500-page playbook spread system, to a traditional West Coast System (did NOT understand this move at ALL), to a hybrid West Coast System that emphasizes throwing the ball downfield.

B) Defense. Went from Mike Nolan, to Ray Rhodes, to Kurt Schottenheimer, to Marvin Lewis to George Edwards to Gregg Williams to Greg Blache to a 3-4 under Haslett.

Every time you make a change, you need to find players that fit this scheme. Chances are you're not going to hit 100% on the first round of players, so you have to try again. This takes time.

Shanny and Allen aren't going to hit on every player they draft and bring in. They've had to bring in practically all new players on both sides of the ball. They haven't found a Franchise QB yet. It's going to take time to build a team in these two new systems that can consistently compete with our division, conference and league. More change now would be a disaster.

Shanny / Allen need 5 years to find a QB and other players that fit their NFL-Proven Systems Then we'll see if we can knock out this Curse talk.

No curse, but just poor management and no stability for close to 20 years. The crater that developed as a result will take time to close, so that's why I'm giving Shanny/Allen a long rope on turning this ship around. I don't believe in the curse theory, however, we haven't been a damn since we moved into FedEx.....just sayin'....:evilg:

I don't think anyone has ever pointed to a specific tribe and said they cursed us. Some however believe that we are cursed because of the name. I've heard it insinuated quite a few times. In fact, I heard a caller on ESPN 980 a week or so ago call in and said that we were cursed due to our name and it all started when some Native Americans began their protests against the name. Obviously that caller implied that those indians put a jinx on us. He was talking to Doc Walker.[ I've heard this my whole life...:dallasuck

Frankly, it's a bit of both.

You look at the bounces we don't get... I particularly think of the Dallas game where five fumbled snaps resulted in zero sacks and no turnovers and not even lost yardage and that just seems impossible. You look at the crazy string of injuries and to whom, and you look at all the other really bizarre things that seem to happen to this team like volleyball receptions and fumbles just always taking funny hops back to the opponent... it's more than just bad management.

Much of what happens to this team is self inflicted, but I guarantee if you look at the luck plays, we are on the very downside of the ledger. These things are supposed to balance out, but do they?

Maybe it's the Law of Attraction, like from the movie "The Secret" lol.

This is obvious. This roster was probably the least talented in the league when Shanahan took over. Out of the group that they inhertited, outside of Orakpo, Hall, & Landry did they have anyone that could be considered a foundation piece? And even then Landry hasn't worked out due to injury and Hall has been inconsistent.....If you look now you can say that we have at least a core or the makings of a core to build around:

Defense- Orakpo, Kerrigan, Coefield, Bowen, Jenkins, Riley

Offense- Williams & Davis (I lump them together becasue its a ? based on the off the field issues, not on the field they're core guys), Hankerson, Helu.....Offense admittedly needs a lot of work. Btw, I would have also included Kory L. here if it wasn't for the injury.

The Curse ,is When Snyder took Jack Kent Cook's name off of his Stadium..The old Man cursed us and untill his name is put back on the stadium...or the skins move . We will always be cursed!

---------- Post added December-10th-2011 at 09:11 PM ----------

just saying

Archived