Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP - NASA finds planet that's just about right for life

The Evil Genius

Not to get our hopes up - but this is frickin' cool.

:cool:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/12/05/national/w100531S12.DTL#ixzz1fh0huHHa

NASA finds planet that's just about right for life

12-05) 10:05 PST WASHINGTON, (AP) --

NASA has found a new planet outside our solar system that's eerily similar to Earth in key aspects.

Scientists say the temperature on the surface of the planet is about a comfy 72 degrees. Its star could almost be a twin of our sun. It likely has water and land.

It was found in the middle of the habitable zone, making it the best potential target for life yet.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/12/05/national/w100531S12.DTL#ixzz1fh0zhutl

Time to send a crew to check it out and possibly inhabit it. If they plan to reach it alive, they'll have to be put into hibernation. Lets get a crew together and put them on the SS Botany Bay. They'll need to be the best of humanity, so we should use genetic supermen led by Kahn Noonien Singh

Now we have to figure out how to get there. Luckily we still have time before we use up all Tera has to offer.

Yeah, I'd like to know how far away it is. Oh, and they can tell how warm it is on a planet more than 4 light years away, but they can't even get the weather right here? OK.

Yeah, I'd like to know how far away it is. Oh, and they can tell how warm it is on a planet more than 4 light years away, but they can't even get the weather right here? OK.

From what I read in the comments to that article it is ~600 lightyears away. And since we can't travel at the speed of light much less beyond that speed, it is an unattainable location. Secondly the planet may not even exist, because the image that was taken was an image at least 600 years old.

From what I read in the comments to that article it is ~600 lightyears away. And since we can't travel at the speed of light much less beyond that speed, it is an unattainable location. Secondly the planet may not even exist, because the image that was taken was an image at least 600 years old.

Planets don't just disappear in a span of 600 years. The star for this sun is similar to ours, meaning that it's still in a very stable stage and will stay so for another couple billion years.

They haven't analyzed the planets composition yet because the Kepler telescope doesn't have that power so we don't know for sure if this planet even has liquid or rocky terrain. we do have other telescopes that can do that and we will eventually know soon what the composition is.

Time to send a crew to check it out and possibly inhabit it. If they plan to reach it alive, they'll have to be put into hibernation. Lets get a crew together and put them on the SS Botany Bay. They'll need to be the best of humanity, so we should use genetic supermen led by Kahn Noonien Singh

I volunteer to be on this exploratory crew

Start a new human settlement

You never dreamed of dating a hot alien girl with 4 eyeballs and 8 ears ? ;)

(I Married A) Monster From Outer Space :

We walked out - tentacle in hand

you could sense that the earthlings would not understand

they'd go, nudge nudge when we got off the bus

saying it's extra-terrestial - not like us

and it's bad enough with another race

but **** me, a monster from outer space

The freaky part to me is that there could be SOOOO many of these out there right now.
The part of "Contact" I like the best, was the quote: "I'll tell you one thing about the universe, though. The universe is a pretty big place. It's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before. So if it's just us... seems like an awful waste of space. Right?"

---------- Post added December-5th-2011 at 09:55 PM ----------

As a comedian once said: "Why is NASA trying to contact aliens? What if the aliens aren't all nice and cuddly as E.T. was?"

Unnamed_hostile_alien.jpg

Next thing you know, humanity will be wiped out just because NASA wanted to say *Hi!* :ciao:

there-goes-earth.jpg

I'm sure you were being sarcastic, but it's obviously apples and oranges comparing the average temperature of a planet and the future of unique weather patterns.

It's not as hard as you might think once they get the necessary information about the planet. You basically need to find out what makes up the atmosphere of the planet and the mass and volume of the planet. The atmosphere is determined mostly by watching which wavelengths of light pass through it's atmosphere, each element affects light in different ways. The density of the planet is determined by it's mass and volume, the mass is found by watching the doppler effect, you can determine it by the pull it has on it's parent star. The volume is obtained when it eclipses it's parent star, you can see the a dip in luminosity of the star. (Oh yeah, you need to know how close to the star it is also...but that's really basic)

They are constantly refining the techniques used to obtain this information so it's becoming much more accurate all the time.

Also, for those of you familiar with Star Trek, if you suddenly had a ship that went Warp 7, despite that planet basically being right on top of us at a mere 600 light years away (that's super super close as the universe goes...hell our galaxy alone is over 100,000 light years across), it would still take nearly a year to get there.

---------- Post added December-5th-2011 at 10:34 PM ----------

Oh yeah, if you're curious, the fastest thing we've put in space so far were the Helios probes that traveled at about 157,000 mph top speed. If you averaged that speed, it would take over 2.5 million years to get there.

---------- Post added December-5th-2011 at 10:44 PM ----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxfJfv9tirU

Archived