Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A look at the QB situation of all teams who could draft ahead of the Skins

SkinsNoles21

After yesterdays win and the outcry that we may have just cost ourselves a franchise QB. I was looking over all the teams that could draft a quarterback ahead of us, and there aren't many. Last year, when we passed on qbs, a lot of teams didn't. That bodes well for us entering this draft.

Indianapolis - Will likely draft Andrew Luck, but they have the whole Peyton Manning issue to work out.

Carolina - Cam Newton. No QB.

St Louis - Sam Bradford. No QB. (if they did I'd happily take Bradford off their hands.)

Minnesota - Christian Ponder. No QB.

Miami - They need a QB. But have shown a lot of promise and have battled and won against good teams. Can easily see this team winning more than us.

Jacksonville - Blaine Gabbert. No QB.

Arizona - traded the farm for Kevin Kolb and gave him a massive deal. Kolb hasn't been good, but its hard to see them going QB after just one year with Kolb.

Cleveland - Colt McCoy ... could very well go QB, but could also pass ... McCoy is still very young and has shown promise at times. This team has so many holes and almost no weapons on offense ... unless they can get a guy hands down better, I can see them trying to build around McCoy with those two 1st rounders.

Kansas City - Matt Cassel. Not many like this guy, but I think the Chiefs do. They could certainly go QB but I bet they don't. This team has bigger needs in other areas, and 2011 will be a wash to them considering all the players they lost to injury.

Seattle - Tavaris Jackson ... could definitely go QB. But their schedule is NFC West easy and I see them finishing with 6-7 wins. We will likely pick ahead of them.

Tampa Bay - Josh Freeman. No QB.

Philadelphia - Vick. No QB.

San Diego - Rivers. No QB.

I see our biggest threat being Cleveland and Miami (aside from Indy of course) and even the Browns could choose to stick with McCoy. Miami has played good football.

The Skins ... at best, will win two more games ... more likely just one game and potentially zero.

I believe a 5-11 record, even 6-10 ... will put us in the top 10 and in position to acquire a qb.

Throw in the fact that Matt Flynn will be available, and maybe even Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck ... and it seems like the Skins will have a great opportunity to draft their qb of the future.

The bigger issue is needing all three of Barkley, Luck and RGIII to go pro.

somehow you left out miami, who is probably our biggest obstacle.

just realized that ... dammit. Fixing now

---------- Post added November-28th-2011 at 12:10 PM ----------

somehow you left out miami, who is probably our biggest obstacle.

Fixed. Miami to me has played good football and can easily, even with a tough schedule, win more games than the Redskins.

The Browns are worrisome because if they're not sold on McCoy, they have more ammo to move up than anyone.

A potential surprise QB suitor could be Philly, if they finish below us, which is unlikely, but certainly possible if Vick stays injured for too long. But I really would only see them as a threat if they could reasonably get their hands on Griffin. He'd be a terror maturing on the bench there. Of course, I think in all probability they're too invested in winning now to take another QB, even if they "should" at some point.

Cleveland would absolutely take one of the top 3 QBs... McCoy is awful & was only a 3rd round investment... Gotta worry about Cleveland(brutal schedule probably won't win another game) & Miami (right now sitting @3-8 but could win another game or two)...

So that leaves Indy obviously taking Luck & the other 3 teams keying in on two QB prospects, Barkley & Griffin III... I honestly believe Landry Jones returns for his Senior year but you never know...

Cleveland would absolutely take one of the top 3 QBs... McCoy is awful & was only a 3rd round investment... Gotta worry about Cleveland(brutal schedule probably won't win another game) & Miami (right now sitting @3-8 but could win another game or two)...

So that leaves Indy obviously taking Luck & the other 3 teams keying in on two QB prospects, Barkley & Griffin III... I honestly believe Landry Jones returns for his Senior year but you never know...

I can see Miami beating anyone on their schedule minus New England. They play every game tough.

Matt Flynn??? he ends up somewhere ... I don't think Manning and Luck will both be in Indy next year.

I think Arizona will draft a OT with their pick, and they'll give Kolb another year behind a better line.

The Browns need some serious receiving talent. They have Greg Little, who could develop into a solid #2, but beyond that it's barren. Mohamed Massaquoi is in his 3rd year and has gotten worse every year. The Browns have HUGE drop issues. In the AFC, they have 3 guys in the top 10 for most drops this season. I don't know who they'll draft, but I think them drafting Blackmon wouldn't be unexpected.

---------- Post added November-28th-2011 at 12:39 PM ----------

Matt Flynn??? he ends up somewhere ... I don't think Manning and Luck will both be in Indy next year.

Supposedly someone in the know just said he thinks it's over a 50% chance that Manning retires, his neck is still not doing well.

I'm not sure Arizona would find it all that hard to tear up Kolb's contract. I think they find a way to win more games anyway in that watered down division of theirs.

He's owed a frak ton of guaranteed money. You don't cut a guy you just signed to a huge contract and give up draft picks and great player for. You just don't. Not only is Kolb's contract nye untradeable, if you cut him, you still have to pay for him unless he gets claimed off waivers, and with his contract, he won't be. Not to mention if you draft a quarterback in the first round, you pay him first round QB money, and even with the rookie salary cap, you'd be investing a ton of money in one position on the field.

Cleveland's problems aren't really McCoy, who has shown promise. It's the fact that they may be the most talent bare team on offense in the entire league, they have even less talent @ the WR then we do (and that's saying something). What's worrisome is the fact they have 2 first rounders. I could see them packaging that to move up but I'm not totally sold that they go QB at all at this point.

Are we going to see a new thread like this appear EVERY FLIPPING WEEK until the end of the season?

Be grateful: after the season is over, there'll be infinitely more of them. :)

I've got to say, seeing the top 3 out of 4 threads relate to the draft with 5 games left has to be the low point of every fan's season. I'm sure it's been like this for weeks too.

Also, yes, the Browns would be foolish to package their picks for one of the top 3 QBs when he wouldn't have anyone to throw to anyway.

If I'm Indy, I'm trading the #1 pick. The kings ransom would do much more than drafting Luck. They do need a backup and unless it's said that Manning might never recover, they can get that other QB elsewhere. Why take the most pro-ready QB the draft has seen in years to bench him? Especially after being shown that the team has some glaring weaknesses and that maybe they can get back to the top with the ransom they would collect from a team that wants Luck to play right away.

I think all of this Luck to Indy is a smoke screen to increase the value of #1 pick.

I wouldn't count out the Jaguars taking a QB if they end up with a high draft pick. I know he hasn't even played one full year but Gabbert looks like a bust. If one of the top three QBs are available when the Jaguars pick I wouldn't be that surprised if they take one of them.

They have no weapons at all for the guy ... cut Garrard to go with Gabbert. Not every rookie dominates out of the gate. If they went QB that would be awful.

If I'm Indy, I'm trading the #1 pick. The kings ransom would do much more than drafting Luck. They do need a backup and unless it's said that Manning might never recover, they can get that other QB elsewhere. Why take the most pro-ready QB the draft has seen in years to bench him? Especially after being shown that the team has some glaring weaknesses and that maybe they can get back to the top with the ransom they would collect from a team that wants Luck to play right away.

I think all of this Luck to Indy is a smoke screen to increase the value of #1 pick.

If true, I hope the Skins jump in with both feet!

Cleveland's problems aren't really McCoy, who has shown promise. It's the fact that they may be the most talent bare team on offense in the entire league, they have even less talent @ the WR then we do (and that's saying something). What's worrisome is the fact they have 2 first rounders. I could see them packaging that to move up but I'm not totally sold that they go QB at all at this point.

If you watch their games, I don't think you can honestly say they're losing because of Colt McCoy. Greg Little dropped a ton of balls that Colt put right in his friggin' hands. I know the idea is that quarterbacks are supposed to make the receivers look better, but there isn't a worse receiving core in the entire NFL.

This is the deepest QB class in a long time. You will have second round guys that could start for the Redskins right now, guys like Tannehill and Cousins, and you will have guys like Russell Wilson that should be there in the third round and possibly later. The offensive and defensive weapons that will be there in the 1st round will be phenominal, if we don't like any of the quarterbacks that are there (ie: Barkley, RG3, and Jones are all gone) than by all means trade back or draft a Wide Reciever or Middle Linebacker and then come back and get your quarterback in the 2nd round.

The wild card to watch out for is how many teams make coaching changes who then may want to make a QB change.

= Jacksonville... This is a great point, TK. Unfortunately I think Del Rio THOUGHT himself a year or two with Gabbert, but he's benched him twice now.

Archived