Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A look at the QB situation of all teams who could draft ahead of the Skins

SkinsNoles21

And I'm not convinced that is absolutely necessary to pick a QB high, or that picking high will get you a star at any position. Given that the time I've spent as a Redskins fan we have never had a star at the QB position, yet we managed to win 3 Super Bowls. While it is nice to have greatness at the QB position, it isn't always required. Nor is it a requirement that you own a top 10 pick.

I'm also one who doesn't believe getting a "great QB" will be a savior for the franchise, especially when there are still a lot of parts needed for a QB to be successful here. All of this is is a lot of people setting themselves up for disappointment.

The league is different now than it was when we won 3 SBs with 3 different QBs.

And I'm not convinced that is necessary, or that picking high will get you a star at any position. Given that the time I've spent as a Redskins fan we have never had a star at the QB position, yet we managed to win 3 Super Bowls. While it is nice to have greatness at the QB position, it isn't always required. Nor is it a requirement that you own a top 10 pick.

I'm also one who doesn't believe getting a "great QB" will be a savior for the franchise, especially when there are still a lot of parts needed for a QB to be successful here. All of this is is a lot of people setting themselves up for disappointment.

2013 is the year. We need this years draft (hopefully RG3) and then 2013's draft to find the OL and depth we need to compete.

2012 will definitely be a disappointment to fans who think all we need is a QB and that a rookie QB will come in and play great.

If Barkley RGIII and Luck are off the board when we pick we NEED to go with Alshon Jeffrey then get a QB in the 2nd even if its a little bit of a reach. Thats assuming we dont trade up with anyone and for some reason no one is left when we pick tho i have a feeling we will still have a top 5 draft pick.

You know, I wouldn't hate this. Him or Floyd have Megatron potential. Either this or grabbing a top man-CB. Final option is DeCastro, but he's probably a 15-20 range pick, but as the top guard, and only 1st round prospect, he might be worth it.

Ideally, if the Big 3 are gone (mind you, I still think we'll be in a position to get one of them) we can trade back and get an extra 2nd in process as well.

Odds are that Miami, KC, Cleveland, Seattle, Colts...perhaps Arizona all will go QB. In the first round? Not sure. I think the consensus top three will be gone (Luck, Barkley, RGIII). and if thats' the case, I look for the Skins to draft OL, then do their dammdest to move up to top of round 2 and take a QB... that's what I would do.

I don't think KC will. Cassel is still good, and they just got Orton, so they probably won't grab somebody, at least not in the 1st round. I also don't know why the Browns would jump at a new guy, McCoy has been fine, considering what's around him. If they did I wouldn't mind it if we picked up McCoy for cheap. Arizona I could see, but they invested so much in Kolb they might want to wait one more year to make sure.

And I agree with most of the people in the thread that Jacksonville is probably a competitor in the QB market now. If Gabbert is Clausen and RGIII is Newton, well, they might just make that move. Hopefully not though.

Now that Del Rio is gone, you may want to lump JAX into the "need a QB" boat.

Of course that all depends on the next coach.

I'm not sure I totally agree with this because they traded up to get Gabbert to begin with AND they have literally nobody right now he can throw to. Granted, he has looked more than shaky the past month but I'm hoping they stand pat and try to surround him with talent. IF they end up in front of Carolina in the final standings Justin Blackmon will look awfully tempting to them. He's an amazing WR and just what they need to improve Gabbert.

I'm not sure I totally agree with this because they traded up to get Gabbert to begin with AND they have literally nobody right now he can throw to. Granted, he has looked more than shaky the past month but I'm hoping they stand pat and try to surround him with talent. IF they end up in front of Carolina in the final standings Justin Blackmon will look awfully tempting to them. He's an amazing WR and just what they need to improve Gabbert.

They could also take Malcolm Floyd.

You know, if we miss out on Barkley or Griffin III because our record was "too good" at 5-11 or 6-10....I'm going to absolutely LOSE MY GOD DAMN MIND! If that scenario occurs and we decide not to trade up for our guy, then we must ABSOLUTELY land Tannenhill in the 2nd RD by any means neccessary!! I know there is more to a franchise than the QB.....however; we've been trying to replace Mark Rypien since 1992 folks. Enough is Enough ALREADY! These "feel good wins" with a reject 30 year old behind center might slide us down the draft order and ruin our chances of drafting The Franchise!

And I'm not convinced that is absolutely necessary to pick a QB high, or that picking high will get you a star at any position. Given that the time I've spent as a Redskins fan we have never had a star at the QB position, yet we managed to win 3 Super Bowls. While it is nice to have greatness at the QB position, it isn't always required. Nor is it a requirement that you own a top 10 pick.

I do think the league has changed quite a bit in that regard. I think it’s a more QB-driven league than ever before. Teams like the 49ers that win with a pedestrian QB will become more and more unusual going forward, while teams like the Saints, Patriots, and Packers with elite QBs will dominate.

The Colts are a great example of how important the position has become. 10-6 last year with Manning; on their way to 0-16 this year without him. That's astonishing.

Of course, out of Brees, Brady, and Rodgers, none was a top 10 pick. But if Shanny feels that Luck and RGIII are the only two QBs in the draft who have a realistic shot of becoming elite NFL QBs, it might be nice to have a shot at getting one of them.

I stand by the statement that J-Ville doesn't go QB. No team in their right mind trades up to draft a guy at 10 overall and then drafts a qb again the next year in the first round. It's less about Del Rio and more about the GM.

From Rotoworld:

Interim coach Mel Tucker confirmed Tuesday that rookie Blaine Gabbert will remain the Jaguars' starting quarterback going forward.

"Blaine is our quarterback now and our quarterback of the future," emphasized Tucker. GM Gene Smith is obviously pulling the strings after trading up to select Gabbert at No. 10 overall. While it may be premature to write off Gabbert as a bust after nine starts, we don't recall ever seeing a quarterback that timid in pocket graduating to franchise level. The Jags are going to have a tough time attracting a quality head coach in 2012 with Smith so obstinately invested in Gabbert.

Arizona will NOT be investing in a QB this year unless Kolb has a career ending injury and is out of the league. They invested heavily in him with a $20MM bonus and draft picks as well, so they aren't doing anything at QB plus they have Skelton who is actually decent and keeps the offense moving and some believe is better than Kolb.

Jax is a worry, though.

Arizona will NOT be investing in a QB this year unless Kolb has a career ending injury and is out of the league. They invested heavily in him with a $20MM bonus and draft picks as well, so they aren't doing anything at QB plus they have Skelton who is actually decent and keeps the offense moving and some believe is better than Kolb.

Jax is a worry, though.

Jax is less of a worry than Arizona, IMO. They kept the GM and the GM is going to work hard to justify his tradeup for Gabbert.

As you say with the Cards, they have a lot invested with Kolb and they do have Skelton, but that isn't an overwhelming obstacle to draft a QB.

Now that Del Rio is gone, you may want to lump JAX into the "need a QB" boat.

Of course that all depends on the next coach.

I would agree with this if the GM were fired too, but the guy just got a three-year extension. No way does he give up on Gabbert yet until he sees what Gabbert can do with a different coach and better offensive personnel.

My concern is that if teams like the Jags, Rams, Chiefs, Chargers and even Eagles decide to go with a new coach. Then this coach may want a new QB of his own.

Chiefs I will give you but if the Rams or Chargers are ready to give up on Bradford or Rivers I will gladly take them off their hands (thats not happening though). The Jags will not give up on Gabbert after 1 year and I when all is said and done I dont think the Eagles will fire Reid.

If we finish with say the #7 pick though I do think we will have to trade up to get the guy we want for fear of someone like the Chiefs or Miami trading up over us.

Chiefs I will give you but if the Rams or Chargers are ready to give up on Bradford or Rivers I will gladly take them off their hands (thats not happening though). The Jags will not give up on Gabbert after 1 year and I when all is said and done I dont think the Eagles will fire Reid.

If we finish with say the #7 pick though I do think we will have to trade up to get the guy we want for fear of someone like the Chiefs or Miami trading up over us.

You are most likely right, but Ive seen teams do crazier things. I could definitely see a new coach coming in and not wanting Gabbert as their guy. I guess we will have to wait and see.

My concern is that if teams like the Jags, Rams, Chiefs, Chargers and even Eagles decide to go with a new coach. Then this coach may want a new QB of his own.

Eagles and Chargers really aren't in position to draft a high QB. They will fill other needs with their unusually high pick. Rivers and Vick mean too much to those salary caps to expect them to get rid of either or take a QB high.

I still maintain that our biggest opponents are Miami and Seattle. Worry about those two first. They know they need to worry about us. So even if we finish with a higher pick, they will know where we are going and will try to leap us, as with any other team that is thinking about picking a QB.

You are most likely right, but Ive seen teams do crazier things. I could definitely see a new coach coming in and not wanting Gabbert as their guy. I guess we will have to wait and see.

The Jags GM traded up to get Gabbert and just signed a 3 year extension. He will bring in a younger coach who is prepared to work with Gabbert and they will try to upgrade his supporting cast. Be amazed if that does not happen. I think teams going QB could be Colts (though I do think if Peyton can show he is healthy they might trade back) Miami, Chiefs, Seattle and maybe the Browns and even Denver.

I think teams going QB could be Colts (though I do think if Peyton can show he is healthy they might trade back) Miami, Chiefs, Seattle and maybe the Browns and even Denver.

Colts are absolutely going with Luck. Polian stated today, or it might have been yesterday, that he is willing to keep Manning and also draft Luck. It really makes sense too now that rookie salaries have been scaled way back. They can see if Manning provides another Super Bowl win (for perhaps the next year or 2 and also will have their QB for the next 10+ years. They're in a much better spot then people think (I really believe Manning may well never play again though given the nature and seriousness of his injury). Obviously they still need to deal with all the money he is contractually obligated to get.

Colts are absolutely going with Luck. Polian stated today, or it might have been yesterday, that he is willing to keep Manning and also draft Luck. It really makes sense too now that rookie salaries have been scaled way back. They can see it Manning provides another Super Bowl win and also will have their QB for the next 10+ years.

That might be leverage to get better trade value for the pick. They might well take Luck but neither Manning or Luck play defense or block on offense - the Colts have a lot of needs and if Manning is healthy it makes sense to try to put some pieces around him rather than take a QB and sit him behind Peyton.

Manning will still play at a high level for several more years, it would be stupid to draft a QB at #1 and waste 3 years of his career on the bench. That's assuming a #1 QB would be willing to do that -which he wouldn't.

With a trade down the Colts can still get a good QB prospect, get a **** ton of other picks to get some more help for their awful team, and still have a legendary QB on the roster who can win them a Super Bowl in the near future. Trading down is win-win-win for them.

Colts are absolutely going with Luck. Polian stated today, or it might have been yesterday, that he is willing to keep Manning and also draft Luck. It really makes sense too now that rookie salaries have been scaled way back. They can see if Manning provides another Super Bowl win (for perhaps the next year or 2 and also will have their QB for the next 10+ years. They're in a much better spot then people think (I really believe Manning may well never play again though given the nature and seriousness of his injury). Obviously they still need to deal with all the money he is contractually obligated to get.

Well, Polian has to say that, whether he plans on drafting Luck or not.

Archived