Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A look at the QB situation of all teams who could draft ahead of the Skins

SkinsNoles21

If Barkley RGIII and Luck are off the board when we pick we NEED to go with Alshon Jeffrey then get a QB in the 2nd even if its a little bit of a reach. Thats assuming we dont trade up with anyone and for some reason no one is left when we pick tho i have a feeling we will still have a top 5 draft pick.

Reaching for a QB would be just as bad as not taking one IMHO.

Hail.

Part of building a football team is learning to win. It isn't solely about talent. Considering that high picks are no guarantee of quality players anyways, I've always been in favor of doing as well as possible and the draft will sort itself out. No one player is a savior for a franchise.

I have never, and will never, believe in that learning to win BS. You are a professional football player. You either close out games or you dont. That is part of being a professional football player. If you cant close out games, then you are not as high standard of a player. So now we moved down probably 5 spots in EVERY ROUND of the draft. Was it worth it to beat a crappy Seahawks team who's QB choice is between Charlie Whitehurst and a 50% torn shoulder Tavaris Jackson. They sure learned a whole bunch.

With holes at QB, RB, WR, LG, RG, RT, NT, CB, and more depth needed across the board, I still see us in a position of drafting BPA. I don't see this FO going out and snagging Drew Brees, Ray Rice, Desean Jackson, Vincent Jackson, Cortland Finnegan, Ben Grubbs, & Carl Nicks in free agency so we will need another great overall draft to improve this team. The old Cerrato in me still thinks that would be awesome to add those guys ha..

I just can't imagine us going another season with this group of QBs. This may be my most worrisome off season yet.

I have never, and will never, believe in that learning to win BS. You are a professional football player. You either close out games or you dont. That is part of being a professional football player. If you cant close out games, then you are not as high standard of a player. So now we moved down probably 5 spots in EVERY ROUND of the draft. Was it worth it to beat a crappy Seahawks team who's QB choice is between Charlie Whitehurst and a 50% torn shoulder Tavaris Jackson. They sure learned a whole bunch.

It is hard to predict right now who is going to end up where in the draft. We don't know who is coming out in the draft, how postseason workouts will affect the stock of some of these players and who is going to be interested in which players.

It is the job of the coaching staff and players to win football games. If they don't attempt to do their jobs, then they don't deserve to keep their job. They shouldn't be worried about draft position, because good FOs find good players wherever they are drafting.

It is hard to predict right now who is going to end up where in the draft. We don't know who is coming out in the draft, how postseason workouts will affect the stock of some of these players and who is going to be interested in which players.

It is the job of the coaching staff and players to win football games. If they don't attempt to do their jobs, then they don't deserve to keep their job. They shouldn't be worried about draft position, because good FOs find good players wherever they are drafting.

big problem is shanahan has backed us into a corner by not taking a QB in the last 2 drafts. usually you can go best player available with a rebuild, or look at your positions of need and take the best guy available there. but by ignoring the position over the past 2 seasons, hes now forced to take one. last year he passed on gabbert, ponder, and dalton. at the time we said "ok, well we can upgrade the defense and do x y and z instead and we'll fix QB next draft". well here we are, and we need to take a QB.

Why even bother practicing then? I mean they are professional players they should just know how to play. It's the NFL, an injured Tavaris Jackson is still probably better than any QB they played in college. You learn a lot in game situations, on both sides of the ball. Our offense and special teams obviously need every chance they can get to improve.

Also, if anything this season should prove that losing draft position isn't the worst thing in the world. So what if we could have had a top 5 pick? What are the chances that the top 5 pick might have a season ending injury next year anyway.

As you said, they are professional football players. Professional football players and coaches get paid to win.

big problem is shanahan has backed us into a corner by not taking a QB in the last 2 drafts. usually you can go best player available with a rebuild, or look at your positions of need and take the best guy available there. but by ignoring the position over the past 2 seasons, hes now forced to take one. last year he passed on gabbert, ponder, and dalton. at the time we said "ok, well we can upgrade the defense and do x y and z instead and we'll fix QB next draft". well here we are, and we need to take a QB.

There is not one QB in the last two drafts that we could have had (in our pick) that would have been a good pick.

The pressure to draft a QB has increased by passing, but the team is not required to draft one. There are other ways to get QBs, including signing FAs and trading for them. It might not be the most ideal way to get a QB, but you can do that and it has worked for some teams. Hell, Shanahan has done it in the past himself.

There is not one QB in the last two drafts that we could have had (in our pick) that would have been a good pick.

First off, you don't know that. Second, for as much as we traded back last year, the team is certainly capable of trading up to get players they like. They chose not to do that last year.

Yeah, I consider that pretty much nonsense. The history of this league (and other sports as well) is littered with teams who got a little better for a year or two, supposedly "learning to win" and then sank right back down. The number of times I have read some breathless media type talk about a team having momentum from the end of one season ready to carry into the next, with that team turning out to be crappy again instead, is endless.

Talent wins. Coaching helps. The supposed value of going 6-10 rather than 4-12 will have no effect on a team getting better in the future. None.

Ah, the hollow old "guarantee" argument. Is there a guarantee that we will lose if I start at QB for the next game?

Then let me reword it: The likelyhood that you are going to get a dramatically better player is small. You are talking about 6-7 spots. The trade back last year was about that much. So, are Blaine Gabbert, JJ Watt, Christian Ponder, Nick Fairley, Robert Quinn and Mike Pouncey that much better than Kerrigan?

The pressure to draft a QB has increased by passing, but the team is not required to draft one. There are other ways to get QBs, including signing FAs and trading for them. It might not be the most ideal way to get a QB, but you can do that and it has worked for some teams. Hell, Shanahan has done it in the past himself.

im not sure you can give me a logical explanation of a FA QB thats available that we can contend for 5-7 years with. if youve seen the list of FA QBs and still feel that way, im worried about you my friend haha! heres the list: http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html

the biggest FAs are campbell and mcnabb, two guys who have a 100% chance of not being here, and alex smith, who isnt good. so IMO, the FA route is out. as far as a trade, any QB worth anything in a trade is going to cost multiple first rounders, and this team is rebuilding. so youre talking about (and its a huge IF) if some franchise QB is available like cutler or rivers from their team costing multiple 1st rounders. doesnt seem smart to me.

again, call it speculation or whatever you will, but the draft seems like the only way to go IMO.

I'm now resigned to having to do this after yesterday with still the woeful Vikings to come, and maybe momentum carried over into the Jet game.

Hail.

I watched the Vikes yesterday - they actually played a pretty good game and will be a handful when we play them although I would favour us. They were in that game against the Falcons until late.

Then let me reword it: The likelyhood that you are going to get a dramatically better player is small.

Not only does that statement depend on entirely on a lot of circumstances (the number of spots between picks, the quality of players in that draft, the chances that a team is willing to pay to move up, the chance of a great player happening to fall thru chance, etc etc) it is also entirely dependent on the definition and context of squishy words like "dramatically" and "small".

You are talking about 6-7 spots. The trade back last year was about that much. So, are Blaine Gabbert, JJ Watt, Christian Ponder, Nick Fairley, Robert Quinn and Mike Pouncey that much better than Kerrigan?

Time will tell. But how about we factor Hankerson, Helu, Gomes and Hurt into the equation? Because we got each of those players solely because we were in position to trade back that number of spots.

the biggest FAs are campbell and mcnabb, two guys who have a 100% chance of not being here, and alex smith, who isnt good. so IMO, the FA route is out. as far as a trade, any QB worth anything in a trade is going to cost multiple first rounders, and this team is rebuilding. so youre talking about (and its a huge IF) if some franchise QB is available like cutler or rivers from their team costing multiple 1st rounders. doesnt seem smart to me.

I wouldn't rule out Campbell. The only reason why he didn't stay was because of the McNabb trade. Shanahan did want to keep him around, but respected Campbell's request for a trade.

But, one thing you are missing is that players also get released. So, this is hardly the final list. Not to mention that I also did say "trade".

Nor did I say that whoever we get would use for 5-7 years, or even preclude drafting a QB sometime in the near future.

Then we drop back to Work on the Oline and pick up Kellen Moore or Weeden to warm the seat for another year...

RG3 isn't going higher than 5th in any projections I've seen, hardly out of our range, but this doesn't sound so bad to me either. Throw out Grossman, make a play for Flynn or Rivers, sit Weeden or Tannehill and I think we have a much better QB situation than we've seen in a long time. This is of course assuming we could pick up Kalil or Reiff with that 1st round pick. I wouldn't want to reach for the guy, but Peter Konz is a great option at center.

If we were in a terrific QB situation at the moment, I would totally take Moore in the 6th. He's intelligent, makes great reads and for all the crap he takes for his height is only about an inch shorter than Drew Brees. Worth a shot IMO.

Not only does that statement depend on entirely on a lot of circumstances (the number of spots between picks, the quality of players in that draft, the chances that a team is willing to pay to move up, the chance of a great player happening to fall thru chance, etc etc) it is also entirely dependent on the definition and context of squishy words like "dramatically" and "small".

Still, good teams tend to draft good players, no matter where they are located in the draft.

Time will tell. But how about we factor Hankerson, Helu, Gomes and Hurt into the equation? Because we got each of those players solely because we were in position to trade back that number of spots.

That doesn't really help your argument, since it argues we could trade back and still get good players to fit your team. Could we have gotten better players? Perhaps. Tho, it is a solid posibility that we draft the same players.

Kellen Moore has a Grade of a 39 i believe on epsn. Wouldent Foles be better?

Than a 6th rounder? Sure.

I think he would be a good fit in Oakland. With a strong running game like theirs, a QB who doesn't screw up is pretty valuable. Palmer would be a good coach for him.

Still, good teams tend to draft good players, no matter where they are located in the draft.

And, since who will be doing the drafting has been decided and that has nothing to do with where we draft, basic common sense tells us that that giving them more ammo will increase the odds of them getting batter players.

That doesn't really help your argument, since it argues we could trade back and still get good players to fit your team. Could we have gotten better players? Perhaps. Tho, it is a solid posibility that we draft the same players.

It certainly does help the argument that picking higher brings value, since we're talking about a whole group of talented players who are only here because we had a higher pick.

Agin, it all comes down to circumstance. Maybe the player we want is only available with a higher pick, maybe there will be a trade down and more value can be acquired. But the odds of either increase with a higher pick. There really isn't an argument that the odds of getting the QB we need increase by giving Shanahan, say, his 4th choice to fill that spot rather than his 2nd choice. Nor is there an argument that we're likely to pick up better talent by having to trade away a bunch of draft pciks to get the player we want.

moore is 5'11 195 pounds and comes from a gimmicky offense. if shanahan drafts him i think thats more like taking his tenure here off.

ive been told for 2 years this class is full of awesome QBs. nobody will be a reach at this point for us, and drafting a talented QB out of college is never a reach.

I have to throw in my defense of Kellen Moore here. I thought the same as everyone else, too small, doesn't play big opponents, blah blah blah. This guy has won me over.

I think most people who downgrade Moore haven't watched him play much (like I did before I started watching him last year). He's small (he's been listed from 6-6'1" but I've never seen 5'11" obviously not tall but 6'1" is an inch shorter than Rodgers and an inch taller than Vick and Brees) and he needs meat on his bones, but the guy is a VERY good QB. He's got a strong arm (saw him throw 55 yards on the run, this weekend). He NEVER panics under pressure (something that can't be said of Landry Jones), and he knows how to run their offense. He's also played very well against ranked opponents but goes unnoticed by most major conference elitists.

The guy has over a 70% completion percentage this year, and his top 5 receivers are 3 WRs and 2 TEs (none of which is likely to be on an NFL offense), so it's not like he's throwing a bunch of dump passes to RBs, and he's super accurate.

I'm not saying I want us to take a QB in the 5th round (and like I said he needs to add pounds so he wouldn't be ready for a year or two), but I don't think he's going to be a bad QB, just not a great one for our immediate problem.

I would be disappointed in not taking a QB high this year, but I'm actually hoping we take Moore in the later rounds (5-7) because I think he'll make a great backup.

I do agree that we need a QB THIS year, after hearing the same "next year's class is better" for the last 3 years. We just need to do it and get it over with.

Archived