Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How patient will Danny be with Shanny and son???

FanSinceSonnyJ

I think Mr Snyder will stick with coach Shanahan for at least two more seasons provided that coach drafts a QB this year (or turns Matt Flynn in to a very good QB). If he doesn't get a qb, and we continue to have issues at the position like the last two years, then I could see him getting fired mid-season.

While I personally don't believe that Shanahan will ever get to the Super Bowl here (or even out of the first round of the playoffs) he is rather good at finding and.developing talent. Ultimately, I think it will have to be another, younger, "more hungry" coach that will have to come in and take the Skins back to the promised land.

I agree Bat~man...I'm finding myself just as intrigued about what we do next even as I acknowledge we shouldn't even be thinking about replacing Shanahan.

In the end, I'm curious who will hire the next head coach...Allen, Shanahan (remember that he's the VP of football ops), or Snyder. I really don't care about scheme as much as I care about getting a leader who can adapt and adjust. Coaches like Bellichick and Tomlin win with great offense one year, stingy defense the next...I'd like a coach with only an identity of winner who can adjust and scheme to the personnel.

NLC, first off, I agree that Shanahan needs to be given more time......but then again, Zorn probably deserved more time as well.

But it cracks me up when I hear the hand-wringing about "we tried the HOF coach route! we tried the college coach route! we tried the assistant coach route! Oh my, what will happen if Shanny doesn't work out??"

Simply: we'll hire another coach. And hopefully it'll won't necessarily be a big name.

That's not what I said.

I said what coach is going to be eager to come to a team that's in clear rebuild mode, where the longest tenured coach under the has only been here four years? There's no job security under those circumstances.

I SAID what coach from the big league retired coach level, NFL assistant coach level, or college level, is going to want to come coach the Redskins, if they feel that there's no job security and they only have, at maximum, 2-3 years to turn the whole franchise around. Of course we'd get a coach. Would it be a quality coach? I don't know. I don't think so.

Reading is fundamental, sir. You'd do well to learn that.

That's not what I said.

I said what coach is going to be eager to come to a team that's in clear rebuild mode, where the longest tenured coach under the has only been here four years? There's no job security under those circumstances.

I SAID what coach from the big league retired coach level, NFL assistant coach level, or college level, is going to want to come coach the Redskins, if they feel that there's no job security and they only have, at maximum, 2-3 years to turn the whole franchise around. Of course we'd get a coach. Would it be a quality coach? I don't know. I don't think so.

Reading is fundamental, sir. You'd do well to learn that.

Now you're getting all snippy.

It's a silly silly thing to expect 'job security" as an NFL head coach. It's all based on performance. We might not land the Grudens and Cowhers or the flavor of the month college coach... but by then why should we care? if we fired Shanny that means a former SB coach, the latest and greatest college coach (Spurrier), the hall of famer (Gibbs) and the new guy (Zorn) all didn't work. I don't think it matters..someone will take the job. You won't know if it's a quality hire until he's here.

Again, it's all crazy talk to me because Shanny needs at LEASt 2 more years before we should even think like this.

Shanny is here for as long as wants to be here. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if he gets extended.

Cowher isn't coming. We actually called Cowher as a formality while already knowing we were going with Shanny. His contract was even already drawn up. Cowher even said he wasn't interested because he knew the job was Mike's. Same as it had been the moment Denver fired him.

Shanny is here for as long as wants to be here. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if he gets extended.

I kinda figured this too, not that I have any inside info, just more of a hunch. I could see Mike being here a long time if he chooses. I wouldn't mind it either, even if our record isn't the greatest the first few years b/c we'll finally have some consistency (which has been, IMO, not the ONLY, but one of the biggest reasons we've had to deal with the suckage we've had for quite a while).

Like others, I think Dan will give Mike the whole five years. If things are not turned around by then, the hot seat for Shanny should be 3rd degree burn hot.

As a side not, I think it's very interesting that some fans are non-chalant about having to wait 5 to 7 years for a full rebuild. Personally, I can barely accept these losses anymore. I feel like I'm ready to explode and melt after each loss even though I know this thing will take some time to fix. Much respect to our optimistic fans!!

It wouldn't shock me if Synder hires Jon Gruden as the next coach. Danny has enough of Shanny and fires him; Gruden becomes coach next year. If this happens; Danny would have Gruden locked up before he would fire Shanny. I saw this is highly unlikely.

Skins don't show any progress under the rookie QB as the 2012 season progresses; Danny fires Shanny and hires Johnny. Considering we should suck next year, maybe even worse than this year; I say this is slime but still a chance.

2013 is probably when the Skins have to produce to reach some set level in Snyder's mind and if we don't; Shanny will not get to finish his 5th year.

We will just have to wait and see. The longer the Skins suck, the more the rumors that Shanny is gone and Johnny-aka Chucky is coming here.

I think there's a big possibility that Kyle takes over as HC after Mike leaves. Not saying that this should necessarily happen, just a hunch.

Lots of ifs, but in a situation where Kyle taking over would be warranted, it means we have a franchise QB. So I'd be fine with Kyle taking over as a young new HC and leading this team for years. Shanny bowing out means he is likely done with football, ideally after 7+ years from now, so him consulting Kyle is likely while Kyle is HC. But this is the optimistic outlook.

Did anyone see the QBs play tonight for Baylor, Stanford, OU, USC?

That is why Shanny didn't take a QB last year and ran with Beck/Rex. We are going to be in position to get a potential star

My thoughts as well. Luck, RGIII, Barkley, and Jones just to name a few. There is NO doubt in my mind we will get our QB in this upcoming draft ( Rd 1).

Did anyone see the QBs play tonight for Baylor, Stanford, OU, USC?

That is why Shanny didn't take a QB last year and ran with Beck/Rex. We are going to be in position to get a potential star

Yup, and if it walks like a dog and sounds like a dog then........

Patience is not Danny's strong point. However, after 10 years of futility I hope that even he realizes he needs to stick with the same coach. If not, I quit. There would be no reason to stick with the Skins at that point. It's just not the same team and won't ever be if Danny doesn't lay off.

Patience is not Danny's strong point. However, after 10 years of futility I hope that even he realizes he needs to stick with the same coach. If not, I quit. There would be no reason to stick with the Skins at that point. It's just not the same team and won't ever be if Danny doesn't lay off.

exactly, somewhere the buck needs to stop and DS needs to weather the storm and hope that light is at the other end of the tunnel, it's so apparent that this team is in total rebuild mode and for that reason alone Shanahan should be able to see it through, which means at least 5 yrs....with 3 yrs remaining after 2011.....

Like others, I think Dan will give Mike the whole five years. If things are not turned around by then, the hot seat for Shanny should be 3rd degree burn hot.

As a side not, I think it's very interesting that some fans are non-chalant about having to wait 5 to 7 years for a full rebuild. Personally, I can barely accept these losses anymore. I feel like I'm ready to explode and melt after each loss even though I know this thing will take some time to fix. Much respect to our optimistic fans!!

I don't think you understand totally. I for one, hate the losses. A lot. They just don't surprise me. We are rebuilding the team from the ground up and lack many, many pieces to compete. Then half the team gets injured, and we really just can't compete no matter what we do. It sucks, but if you look at it rationally, you really can't expect anything else. If this is happening three years from now then we have a problem.

First of all, it would have to be Bruce Allen's call as GM. Bruce Allen, who thinks long-term generally.

But, the absolute best way for Shanny to stay for his entire contract is for the fans to continue supporting the team. We all know that so long as Snyder's pockets are straight he'll stick with what he's got.

Plus, if you read the tea leaves, Shanny is here at least through next season.

Personally I think it will more or less be contingent upon the success of whatever QB Shanny drafts or signs via FA to be the leader next season. So long as that QB shows potential and the fans believe in him,Shanny will be here the full 5 years.

Just my opinion on the matter.

Actually it would be Snyder's call, not Bruce Allen's. Sure Bruce Allen is the GM, but Danny is the owner which trumps all. Just sayin'....

---------- Post added November-20th-2011 at 12:35 PM ----------

I don't really care about getting someone "on the level of Cowher or Gruden."

Was Joe Gibbs regarded as being "on the level" of Tom Landry, Chuck Noll, or Don Shula in 1981?

No he wasn't....but I'd take either of them over Zorn, Spurrier...and perhaps even Shanny if this all he can muster with this team....

Archived