Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How patient will Danny be with Shanny and son???

FanSinceSonnyJ

Well, to give credit where its due, Gibbs was on the Air Coryell staff; Pardee all but blew it, and a new direction and a new look was needed, and it just so happened that the Skins played the Chargers a year before, and the Skins ripped them 40-17. The Chargers high octane Dan Fouts led team was putting up points like crazy, and SOMEBODY took a look at Gibbs and saw a young guy with alot of potential and some experience to go along with it, and the rest is history.

IF that time comes where another coach is on the menu, it better be a hard-ass no bull**** type guy who isn't quiet or passive, and the thought of Kyle being the HC here scares the living crap outta me, and thats a disaster waiting to happen...

Shanahan certainly gets one more year.

After that, it gets tricky.

I do have a prediction on the end game though: If the offense continues to look like this, Danny is going to push for a new offesnive coordinator. In any other organization, that would be reasonable. However, Mike is not going to fire his son most likely. So, that could be the breaking point.

---------- Post added November-20th-2011 at 11:40 PM ----------

Did anyone see the QBs play tonight for Baylor, Stanford, OU, USC?

That is why Shanny didn't take a QB last year and ran with Beck/Rex. We are going to be in position to get a potential star

Part of me hopes that Shanahan picks a guard just to watch your head explode.

---------- Post added November-20th-2011 at 11:41 PM ----------

First of all, it would have to be Bruce Allen's call as GM. Bruce Allen, who thinks long-term generally.

Bruce Allen cannot fire Shanahan as Shanahan is his boss. It took me a while to figure that out too. Only Dan can fire Shanahan.

And really, a 6 win season followed by a 4 or 5 win season is rightfully the kind of thing that gets any coach on the hot seat.

Shanahan certainly gets one more year.

After that' date=' it gets tricky.

I do have a prediction on the end game though: If the offense continues to look like this, Danny is going to push for a new offesnive coordinator. In any other organization, that would be reasonable. However, Mike is not going to fire his son most likely. So, that could be the breaking point.

[/quote']

I don't get your post AT ALL.

If you have an offense that had doubts at offensive line to start the season, doubts at running back to start the season, doubts at QB to start the season, doubts at wide receiver to start the season, and questions on depth to start the season, how can you make the offensive coordinator the fall guy?

The fall guy is the person who assembled the team, if you had to pick a fall guy.

Our problems start with the roster, and feather out from there.

We needed offensive lineman desperately and a qb desperately, and we got neither.

That blame goes to either our GM, or our owner who didn't hire a GM who picks players.

Depending on how this plays out this may be the worst Dan has ever experienced from a coach in terms of results. That's what makes me worry about Dan Snyder. Shanahan doesn't need to be fired to leave. All Dan needs to do is move to take his personnel decisions away and mike would leave.

Look, the offense scored 20 points over 3 games. In any other organization, that would make the OC's seat sizzling hot. The Patriots or Steelers or any other "stable" organization would probably fire Kyle after this season. That can't happen here.

If there is a breaking point between Shanahan and Dan, it will be Kyle. It has to be.

---------- Post added November-20th-2011 at 11:48 PM ----------

I don't get your post AT ALL.

If you have an offense that had doubts at offensive line to start the season, doubts at running back to start the season, doubts at QB to start the season, doubts at wide receiver to start the season, and questions on depth to start the season, how can you make the offensive coordinator the fall guy?

The fall guy is the person who assembled the team, if you had to pick a fall guy.

Our problems start with the roster, and feather out from there.

We needed offensive lineman desperately and a qb desperately, and we got neither.

That blame goes to either our GM, or our owner who didn't hire a GM who picks players.

Mike picks the players. But I don't think he is going to get heat for this debacle quite yet.

The bottom line is this: Any team with the offensive problems we've had would have a shakeup of the offensive staff. It's just the natural way of the world. Alas, that cannot happen here because I just don't see Mike firing his kid.

We are potentially in the early stages of Bobby Bowden-Jeff Bowden scenario.

Mike picks the players. But I don't think he is going to get heat for this debacle quite yet.

The bottom line is this: Any team with the offensive problems we've had would have a shakeup of the offensive staff. It's just the natural way of the world. Alas' date=' that cannot happen here because I just don't see Mike firing his kid.

We are potentially in the early stages of Bobby Bowden-Jeff Bowden scenario.[/quote']

I know. Point being, our offensive players suck for lack of a better word...and you want to blame it on the OC? Come on.

There is nobody to blame but Snyder himself. Anyone who thinks Moss, Hightower, a bunch of scrub receivers, a patchwork offensive line (which changes weekly due to injuries), and a neglected roster could be in better shape with a new OC is fooling themselves.

Here is a clue, build a decent offensive line and good things will follow.

Shanny will coach here until the end of his contract but not a minute longer in my opinion. Kyle's offense is decent but unfortunately for skin's fans, dude is the worst play caller I have witnessed in the modern NFL... and that includes Jim Zorn... (is there a draw play in his offensive bible and whats up with consecutive reverses to start the game???) I thought I was watching a Pop Warner game.

All Mr. Snyder has to do at this point is show an alleged HOF coach the respect he deserves but as soon as that contract ends, hot coaching prospects should be lining up to take over what should be a much improved roster... and the payday won't be bad either... even if they're making half of what Shanny makes.

I know. Point being, our offensive players suck for lack of a better word...and you want to blame it on the OC? Come on.

There is nobody to blame but Snyder himself. Anyone who thinks Moss, Hightower, a bunch of scrub receivers, a patchwork offensive line (which changes weekly due to injuries), and a neglected roster could be in better shape with a new OC is fooling themselves.

Here is a clue, build a decent offensive line and good things will follow.

It's always easier to change one coach than 11 players.

And as bad as our offensive talent is, we aren't exactly making the most of the limited talent we have.

Again, in any other organization, someone would take the fall for the idiocy that was John Beck: Starting QB. And usually that person would be the OC.

Ignore the question of whether Kyle SHOULD be fired. Do you think there is any chance that Kyle COULD be fired as long as Mike is Head Coach?

It's always easier to change one coach than 11 players.

And as bad as our offensive talent is' date=' we aren't exactly making the most of the limited talent we have.

Again, in any other organization, someone would take the fall for the idiocy that was John Beck: Starting QB. And usually that person would be the OC.

Ignore the question of whether Kyle SHOULD be fired. Do you think there is any chance that Kyle COULD be fired as long as Mike is Head Coach?[/quote']

No Kyle won't be fired, nor should he be. Our offensive line is potentially the worst in the NFL. Our running game is the worst in the NFL. Our QB situation is one of the worst in the NFL.

I don't fire anyone in charge of sub standard talent.

How long are we going to turnover coaches before we accept the fact that we have sub standard talent and need to focus on roster. No offensive coordinator could get much out of this talent we are fielding.

I dont think any major changes are coming to the offensive staff either, but one of the main reasons the offense is so thin at talent is because all the resources (FA signings and draft picks) have had to be spent on rebuilding a defense that never really needed to be rebuilt other than the fact that the head coach was adamant in running a 3-4. Either way I think the buck stops at Shanahan.

I don't know if Shanahan can right this ship, but he has to be given time if for no other reason than Danny would completely destroy any respect the rest of the league might have for him if he were to fire Shanahan this quickly.

No Kyle won't be fired, nor should he be. Our offensive line is potentially the worst in the NFL. Our running game is the worst in the NFL. Our QB situation is one of the worst in the NFL.

I don't fire anyone in charge of sub standard talent.

How long are we going to turnover coaches before we accept the fact that we have sub standard talent and need to focus on roster. No offensive coordinator could get much out of this talent we are fielding.

You say we have the worst offensive line, running game, and QB in the NFL. Mike picked all the players you are slamming as terrible other than Will Montgomery. Talent is not a pro-Mike argument.

I think a major reason to believe Dan will rightly allow the coaching staff to remain is that he simply can't afford another Zorn situation and a change will do more harm than good. Shanahan has hit on some moves and missed on others. He needs a hit at QB and more wins next season. The only thing he can't do is continue to decline and this season will set the bar low enough that it should be easy to avoid an early exit.

You say we have the worst offensive line, running game, and QB in the NFL. Mike picked all the players you are slamming as terrible other than Will Montgomery. Talent is not a pro-Mike argument.

I think a major reason to believe Dan will rightly allow the coaching staff to remain is that he simply can't afford another Zorn situation and a change will do more harm than good. Shanahan has hit on some moves and missed on others. He needs a hit at QB and more wins next season. The only thing he can't do is continue to decline and this season will set the bar low enough that it should be easy to avoid an early exit.

I never said I was pro Mike with our personnel moves. What I am saying is to slam Kyle is ludicrous. No offensive coordinator could get blood out of this turnip.

Part of me hopes that Shanahan picks a guard just to watch your head explode.

Heh, probably more likely OT Kalil. He's projected top 5 overall, so totally within the realm of possibility.

I think Kyle is less on the hot seat after today's game. The offense actually moved the ball a little bit, and showed that, even as snake-bit at the big positions as we are, a good QB can do something. Kyle should get 1 more season. If he has a good QB and still falls flat on his face, then the tension increases.

Seriously, I don't envy Kyle, he probably had to rework the whole playbook when his line crumbled with injuries and his #1 WR and RB peaced out. And it certainly wouldn't help him do his job for Hankerson to get injured either.

I am convinced Shanny will not lead us anywhere. All Shanny's tenure will serve is that he will draft most of the pieces that will lead us to being a playoff regular again. My gut says in a couple of years, Danny will not be satisfied with the progress and then Shanny will be gone.

Then his successor in 2014 will fine tune team and fill any missing pieces and we go on a playoff run for the rest of the decade.

Just curious what you guys think here. Shanny and son have clearly not had the type of success neither they nor we hoped for.

Five year plan. This is the first true rebuild and it's not easy. Without the lockout Shanny and Allen will have a normal free agency period to go along with the draft. Snyder has changed and realizes he has to go about things differently now. Last year they focused on defense, and this off season will be offense. Patience.

I don't see Mike Shanahan, Kyle Shanahan, or Jim Haslett being let go in the short term. Maybe at the end of the 2013 season, if the team really seems to be going backwards and all the talent pickup wasn't panning out.

However, the QB coach, the Offensive line coach, or even the some of the defensive secondary coaches might catch a bit of scrutiny over the off-season. While I believe Shanahan/Allen value 'continuity' they seem to also want 'accountability' too.

I see Shanhan's contract as being safe through the end of the 2013 sesaon -- maybe longer.

Five year plan. This is the first true rebuild and it's not easy. Without the lockout Shanny and Allen will have a normal free agency period to go along with the draft. Snyder has changed and realizes he has to go about things differently now. Last year they focused on defense, and this off season will be offense. Patience.

Pretty much word for word what I was going to say. People need to stop talking about this. Snyder is NOT going to can Shanahan before his five years are up. This isn't 2001 anymore. Snyder tried it one way and he failed miserably. He has learned his lesson and we're seeing it now.

Not to mention. After seeing the effort the guys gave yesterday how can anyone think that Shanahan isn't doing a good job? Our guys worked their asses off and played with great emotion. Shanahan is hear for the long haul so sit back and stop complaining about Snyder because it's what we used to do. Snyder should basically never be discussed on this board again. Or at least not until Shanahan's contract is up.

I think he will be given the full 5 and im fine with it. Dan has been doing a great job. U dont hear about him and u dont see him anymore. I remember every game we used to see shots of him on the field in the booth. Not anymore. I cant remember the last time i seen him at a game. Does he even go anymore?? :)

Both games I made this year (home opener plus road game in STL), he was on the sidelines before the game. But to your point, couldn't agree more, he's done a flawless job the past few years & hope he stays the course.

Archived