Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Molestation Allegations Against Syracuse Assistant Coach

Bostic Hog

Just so we are all clear on what ESPN is reporting:

Bobby Davis says he was touched by Fine starting in 1984.

He reports this to ESPN in 2003 but they could not get anyone else to talk

He reports this to Police in 2003 but they said it was too late (statute of limitations), cop was a former Syracuse player

Syracuse finds out in 2005 and does a four month investigation and talk to the people that Davis said would support his story. They did not thus the matter was dropped.

Mike Lang (the STEPBROTHER of Davis) contacted Outside the lines recently (does not say how recently) and supported his brothers story.

He did NOT contact the police first.

Just so we are all clear on what ESPN is reporting:

Bobby Davis says he was touched by Fine starting in 1984.

He reports this to ESPN in 2003 but they could not get anyone else to talk

He reports this to Police in 2003 but they said it was too late (statute of limitations), cop was a former Syracuse player

Syracuse finds out in 2005 and does a four month investigation and talk to the people that Davis said would support his story. They did not thus the matter was dropped.

Mike Lang (the STEPBROTHER of Davis) contacted Outside the lines recently (does not say how recently) and supported his brothers story.

He did NOT contact the police first.

Yeah something doesn't jive here.

Boeheim certainly doesnt believe a bit of it. No way he sticks his neck out like this after what just happened to Paterno.

Well, it certainly makes them look quite a bit more honest.

Me, out here in the cheap seats, I'm certainly not ready to convict them, yet.

Wow. A big 180 from the support he was getting from Boeheim just days ago. There's word that a third accuser has come forward.

Edit:

Audio recording reveals that Fine's wife knew of the allegations:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/11/report-third-accuser-says-bernie-fine-abused-him-as-child/1?loc=interstitialskip

At what point did it become so fashionable to bash ESPN?

When they committed themselves to sensationalism. Also, showing the same 5-6 teams on their baseball broadcasts is unacceptable and most of their talking heads are an ear sore.

I still think this Bernie Fine thing is suspect, though it seems that this third accuser came to the table with something that carried some weight.

When they committed themselves to sensationalism. Also, showing the same 5-6 teams on their baseball broadcasts is unacceptable and most of their talking heads are an ear sore.

I still think this Bernie Fine thing is suspect, though it seems that this third accuser came to the table with something that carried some weight.

Listen to the audio tape of the phone call Davis recorded with Fine's wife Laurie Fine. It pretty much confirms Davis' allegations that Bernie Fine sexually abused him...

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/7286347/otl-audio-tape-syracuse-orange-assistant-bernie-fine-wife-admits-worries-abuse

The silence to come from Jim Boeheim will be deafening.

http://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops/statuses/140969088838148096

Based on what we know right now, I don't believe Syracuse should fire Jim Boeheim. Nor do I expect them to. But this a fast moving story.

---------- Post added November-27th-2011 at 08:53 PM ----------

http://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops/statuses/140971360053772289

Boeheim just released a statement. Said he "deeply regrets" his comments. on.fb.me/svMjx4 (h/t @MattNorlander)

http://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops/statuses/140969088838148096

Based on what we know right now, I don't believe Syracuse should fire Jim Boeheim. Nor do I expect them to. But this a fast moving story.

http://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops/statuses/140971360053772289

Boeheim just released a statement. Said he "deeply regrets" his comments. on.fb.me/svMjx4 (h/t @MattNorlander)

This appears to be a totally different situation than Paterno at Penn State. It really looks like Boeheim was blindsided by these revelations...there is no evidence I've seen or heard that he had any inkling this was going on. Paterno did.

Listen to the audio tape of the phone call Davis recorded with Fine's wife Laurie Fine. It pretty much confirms Davis' allegations that Bernie Fine sexually abused him...

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/7286347/otl-audio-tape-syracuse-orange-assistant-bernie-fine-wife-admits-worries-abuse

The silence to come from Jim Boeheim will be deafening.

Wow. Yeah, never mind. Looks like ESPN cracked this one. Kudos to them.

It seems like everyone who comes forward has something weird going on with their story. Davis says to interview 4 people that will corroborate his story that did not. The next guy that comes forward is his stepbrother which kind of raises a flag. The next guy who comes forward had his dad say that his whole story was bs. Now we find out that Davis had a tape from Fine's wife but its just now coming out even though he's had the tape since 2002. Not sure why he would hold on to that tape yet withhold it from the original investigation that took place in 2005...

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Supposedly Mrs. Fine was also getting it on with the Bobby Davis kid. So I guess those two losers deserve each other. But if Sandusky's wife still stays with him if he's found guilty, then it would be obvious to me that she's probably just in it for the money. Why else would she stay? Makes no sense.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Supposedly Mrs. Fine was also getting it on with the Bobby Davis kid. So I guess those two losers deserve each other. But if Sandusky's wife still stays with him if he's found guilty, then it would be obvious to me that she's probably just in it for the money. Why else would she stay? Makes no sense.

To be fair, the relationship (apparently) started after Davis turned 18; but the fact that she knew and didn't say anything will probably get her in a whole tub of hot water.

---------- Post added November-28th-2011 at 12:26 AM ----------

One thing I don't understand: if ESPN knew all this stuff years ago, why didn't they tell the authorities?

Was watching Real Sports with Bryant Gumble last night and they had a story about tennis player Bob Hewitt. He was a big-time pro from South Africa back in the 70s and he would tutor/coach young girls when not on tour and, yes, he was molesting them. His coaching career stretched from the 70s to the 90s. According to the story by Mary Carillo, a former tennis pro herself, the South African tennis association and Police were notified of this and they did nothing. The police urged one victim not to press charges, so the family did not. The similarities between the Sandusky case and the Fine case are eerie to say the least.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Supposedly Mrs. Fine was also getting it on with the Bobby Davis kid.

I thought I read that in a yahoo article yesterday, but I wasn't sure I was understanding things correctly. Regardless, she sounds pretty ****ed up in that phone conversation with the kid. She pretty much brushes off the abuse and if I recall correctly, she said the kid was at fault for continuing to hang out with Fine.

Archived