Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How would DeSean Jackson look with the Redskins?

Hitman21ST

What we're seeing now with DeSean Jackson is why so many teams passed on him in the first round. He's an incredibly gifted athlete, but the fact that he's letting this contract situation have such an impact on his on the field performance says a lot about his character in my opinion.

On one hand I can understand that he doesn't want to get hurt, especially after the concussions he's had, but on the other hand real competitors just go out there and handle their business on the field no matter what.

:ols: Funny stuff.

I already gave you an example of a more talented player on his OWN TEAM who is handling this correctly, while making half of what DeSean is currently getting paid. When you've got that, its pretty tough to take DeSean's side, no matter what the team's doing. McCoy is giving him a proper example of how to handle it right in front of his face every single day.

MEH, Its the deep threat from the eagles that makes other teams play deeper and allows more running room for shady

MEH, Its the deep threat from the eagles that makes other teams play deeper and allows more running room for shady

Players all over the field effect each other in different ways, I'm not going to argue that. But LeSean is a more talented RB than DeSean is a WR. Its not his fault that Reid refuses to run the ball.

You get a job as a mail boy. It's a temp position for 2 years. By the end of the first year, the company realizes you're over qualified, and you've basically become one of the heads of your department. However, the company wants you to work at $8.50 the remainder of the year until your mail boy contract expires. I'm sure all those "loyal" people in this thread would suck it up for their coworkers who need them. Actually I'm pretty sure most of us would say screw you and take our talents elsewhere.

What is wrong in today's NFL is players getting paid BEFORE they earn it.

Does Jackson deserve to be paid? IMO, yes, BUT, no one held a gun to his head and forced him to sign a contract. There are hundreds of DeSean Jacksons playing on practice squads, CFL, and other places who would damn near kill to get the contract AND opportunity he has with the Eagles.

DeSean's problem is DeSean; too many of his peeps in his ear saying "thats yo money thats yo money", and even though the circumstances surrounding the FA's that the Eagles signed to big contracts does tend to point arrows at him, he should know his check is coming, just play the game to your best ability and when the offseason comes, hold out your hand then, not during games, making a circus out of the team [ even though I love it ].

But no, not with the Redskins; this is a person who would sign a 80 mil contract with us, have a record year, then next year come around and once again he's wanting to "up" the contract to 120 mil, or the questionable injuries, missing practices, etc etc begin to emerge. Thats no a headache or soap opera this team needs...

:ols: Funny stuff.

I already gave you an example of a more talented player on his OWN TEAM who is handling this correctly, while making half of what DeSean is currently getting paid. When you've got that, its pretty tough to take DeSean's side, no matter what the team's doing. McCoy is giving him a proper example of how to handle it right in front of his face every single day.

The organization did both of them wrong, and McCoy has been the bigger man, and I applaud him. Jackson has gotten fed up, and is acting out. Both responses seem natural to me, although the former is much more admirable from an outside person looking in perspective, I suppose.

---------- Post added December-2nd-2011 at 03:29 PM ----------

What is wrong in today's NFL is players getting paid BEFORE they earn it.

Does Jackson deserve to be paid? IMO, yes, BUT, no one held a gun to his head and forced him to sign a contract. There are hundreds of DeSean Jacksons playing on practice squads, CFL, and other places who would damn near kill to get the contract AND opportunity he has with the Eagles.

DeSean's problem is DeSean; too many of his peeps in his ear saying "thats yo money thats yo money", and even though the circumstances surrounding the FA's that the Eagles signed to big contracts does tend to point arrows at him, he should know his check is coming, just play the game to your best ability and when the offseason comes, hold out your hand then, not during games, making a circus out of the team [ even though I love it ].

But no, not with the Redskins; this is a person who would sign a 80 mil contract with us, have a record year, then next year come around and once again he's wanting to "up" the contract to 120 mil, or the questionable injuries, missing practices, etc etc begin to emerge. Thats no a headache or soap opera this team needs...

I think our fans, of any fans, should understand how stupid the Eagles organization was for not taking care of their own first. I wouldn't sign him to a huge contract here, maybe something reasonable under the motivation of 10-15 touches against his former team twice a year(revenge). The problem of players getting paid before they produce should be diminished with the rookie wage scale.

The organization did both of them wrong, and McCoy has been the bigger man, and I applaud him. Jackson has gotten fed up, and is acting out. Both responses seem natural to me, although the former is much more admirable from an outside person looking in perspective, I suppose.

---------- Post added December-2nd-2011 at 03:29 PM ----------

I think our fans, of any fans, should understand how stupid the Eagles organization was for not taking care of their own first. I wouldn't sign him to a huge contract here, maybe something reasonable under the motivation of 10-15 touches against his former team twice a year(revenge). The problem of players getting paid before they produce should be diminished with the rookie wage scale.

While the McCoy/Jackson comparison isn't a bad one, there are some notable differences.

1. Jackson has played one more year in the NFL than McCoy. All this contract noise with Jackson was dialed up to an eleven when he was entering the final year of his deal. McCoy has never been in that position, so we don't know how he's going to react.

2. In my opinion I'd say that Jackson's NFL career has been more impressive than McCoy's, overall. Sure, Reid should run more. But McCoy had a solid enough rookie year, maybe a little disappointing (4.1 a carry, 900+ total yards, 4 TDs). Really good second year. And is having a phenomenal 3rd year. Jackson had an impressive rookie year (1450+ total yards, 4 TDs). Fantastic second year. Good 3rd year and this year is terrible, but he still has a shot at 1000 receiving.

McCoy:

http://www.nfl.com/player/leseanmccoy/79607/careerstats

Jackson:

http://www.nfl.com/player/deseanjackson/1581/careerstats

This isn't to say that Jackson is better than McCoy. Or I'd rather have Jackson rather than McCoy. Just there are some key differences between the two situations. Jackson has outperformed his contract since his rookie year. This year is the anomaly. McCoy has been outplaying his contract from about the middle of last year and he still has two years left on his deal (I believe).

It's not an apples to apples comparison.

I'm torn on Desean. His speed alone opens up the entire field and makes defenses keep two players assigned to him. But he has absolutely dawged it the past few games. I would still reach out to him because he's been dynamic his previous 3-years in the league and can really open up the entire field for Hankerson/ Moss/ & Davis going forward......

nah we're good at wr. don't need it bad enough to go reach out to some clown like that. i think hankerson can be our play making WR, moss could be a great #3 but could def be a #2 if armstrong was good again. Maybe Niles Paul too. only person i'd give a look @ is Bowe but looks like he may be franchisedl.

DJax's value plummets more each week. For those saying "nah", you're assuming he comes with a big price tag. I think his season on the field and off the field have significantly lowered his asking price this year.

For a mid-range WR contract, I would jump all over him. Just dont pay him #1 WR money. He is a legitimate threat to score every time he touches the ball. Not just on the over the top 9 route, but on a quick screen, an end-around, or a quick slant. It's almost criminal how the Eagles don't use him.

nah we're good at wr. don't need it bad enough to go reach out to some clown like that. i think hankerson can be our play making WR, moss could be a great #3 but could def be a #2 if armstrong was good again. Maybe Niles Paul too. only person i'd give a look @ is Bowe but looks like he may be franchisedl.

We're definitely not good at receiver. Who's our deep threat? I think we're solid with Hank on one side and Gaffney or Moss in the slot (not both together as you lose too much speed w/ both in the lineup IMO). Who's the deep threat on the other side?

DJax's value plummets more each week. For those saying "nah", you're assuming he comes with a big price tag. I think his season on the field and off the field have significantly lowered his asking price this year.

For a mid-range WR contract, I would jump all over him. .

I actually agree with this, at least as a possibility. If he can be gotten cheap, it's worth the risk.

But many in this thread are saying "high risk/high reward."

Giving this clown a huge contract would be a huge mistake and I'll just leave it at that.

We're definitely not good at receiver. Who's our deep threat? I think we're solid with Hank on one side and Gaffney or Moss in the slot (not both together as you lose too much speed w/ both in the lineup IMO). Who's the deep threat on the other side?

We could look at a FA. We just don't need his attitude. Maybe AA can be that deep threat? Maybe we can draft someone late in the draft. anything but DJ

It amazes me how some of us Redskin fans think we are set at the WR position. I can some what understand if you do not want Desean Jackson for his attitude, big money expectations or recent play, but please do not say we are good at WR. Hankerson has had one solid game thus far and it's not like he was 1st round pick (meaning- you expect more out of top picks). Moss has a few good years left as a slot guy, but I do not see anything else to brag about in regards to the Redskin's WR core.

I definitely hope we get the opportunity to add a proven play making WR. Making this happen will prove to be very beneficial to whatever rookie QB the skins get next year.

I actually agree with this, at least as a possibility. If he can be gotten cheap, it's worth the risk.

But many in this thread are saying "high risk/high reward."

Giving this clown a huge contract would be a huge mistake and I'll just leave it at that.

I totally agree giving him a big contract would be a big mistake. The problem is I think giving him a more modest contract would also be a mistake just not quite as quickly. You might get one really good year out of him and then he will start pissing and moaning about getting paid again as he is out performing his deal and you have the same headache Philly has now.

I'd pass.

---------- Post added December-2nd-2011 at 06:26 PM ----------

I definitely hope we get the opportunity to add a proven play making WR. Making this happen will prove to be very beneficial to whatever rookie QB the skins get next year.

I do think we will bring in a free agent receiver, just not Jackson. I'd like to see us use a mid round pick on Ryan Broyles from OU as well - he will be a great NFL slot receiver but will probably slip in the draft due to his knee injury and being unable to work out much for teams before the draft.

Desean has 2 TD's this year, has caught 53.8 % of balls thrown his way and of the balls he caught, 35% of them were for first downs. I think we can pass on him and his attitude pretty easily.

I'm not advocating Jackson but he has 43 catches for 28 first downs. 28/43 = .651 = 65.1%, not 35%.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingYards/qualified/false

35% of his total targets this year have gone for a first down. I think you either used the wrong number in the denominator or your phrasing of what you were trying to express was a little off.

I do think we will bring in a free agent receiver, just not Jackson. I'd like to see us use a mid round pick on Ryan Broyles from OU as well - he will be a great NFL slot receiver but will probably slip in the draft due to his knee injury and being unable to work out much for teams before the draft.

From Andy Reid:

He had a great attitude and that's what I can tell you. There wasn't anything on the sideline or anything with him and Vince. There is nothing there. Nothing.

Here's a link to the video of him and Vince on the sidelines:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2011/12/1/2604670/desean-jackson-vince-young-stare-video-eagles-vs-seahawks

Take it as you will.

I'm not advocating Jackson but he has 43 catches for 28 first downs. 28/43 = .651 = 65.1%, not 35%.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingYards/qualified/false

35% of his total targets this year have gone for a first down. I think you either used the wrong number in the denominator or your phrasing of what you were trying to express was a little off.

Maybe that's what the 35% is from, not the catches. I didn't do the math, just looked it up. You're right, obviously

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=8826&team=21

Maybe that's what the 35% is from, not the catches. I didn't do the math, just looked it up. You're right, obviously

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=8826&team=21

Either way it's not very impressive. Fred Davis is posting over 65% on his catches, over 40% on targets. Gaffney is doing even better than that on receptions at over 70%. First downs by reception as a stat doesn't indicate much. I randomly thought of a mediocre WR and thought of Johnny Knox. He's at roughly 98% (28 receptions, 26 first downs).

Archived