Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How would DeSean Jackson look with the Redskins?

Hitman21ST

I'm going to get roasted for this for sure, but I just had an intriguing thought.

DeSean Jackson appears to be having a falling out with the Eagles front office. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them not re-sign him or even franchise him. I'm not saying they won't, just right now it looks like they won't.

Should they not re-sign him, would he even be worth a look from our front office? Moss is getting older, as so many of the members here have mentioned. Hankerson is looking like he could be our number one for the foreseeable future when he recovers from his injury. For the longest time, we have all said that the Skins need two things at receiver: a bona fide number one - big, can get the jump ball. That's Hank; and a legit deep threat. We thought that AA was that, but he seems to be a one-year wonder. DeSean isn't a number one by design, but he is one of the premier deep threats in the league. I don't think he would do too bad opposite Hank.

Signing Jackson would solve our return issues, too. Banks hasn't looked the same since his injury, but DeSean would be the answer there.

Hankerson, Jackson, Paul, then maybe Moss for one more year or Anderson for a few more years. Yeah, I've spent my share of posts ripping him, but he would solve our deep threat and return issues. Just a thought.

I'm not saying sign him long-term, but maybe on a one year deal, similar to what the 49ers did with Carlos, and see how he pans out. That's only if Shanny thinks his character issues (if there are any) can be overlooked or dismissed.

FIrst off its never gonna happen....the eagles will do anything to keep him from going to a Dvision Rival...(beisdes they are not gonna let him go anyway) but in any case he would look horrible here as we have no one that can deliver him the ball, and we do nto have an offensive line to protect the guy getting him the ball even if that guy was decent enough to get it to him.

No point in getting a guy like this until we get our Qb and line...I think we have our RB of the future and I think our current core of recivers could be pretty good, but you could put Montana back there and right now he would be inconsistent behind this line.

I'm not saying sign him long-term, but maybe on a one year deal, similar to what the 49ers did with Carlos, and see how he pans out. That's only if Shanny thinks his character issues (if there are any) can be overlooked or dismissed.

That's not going to be an option. Jackson will have more people bidding for his services than Carlos did by a significant margin should he reach free agency.

We should definitely sign him because we have such amazing history with big name FAs.

/sarcasm off...

seriously Redskins fans will never learn I guess...

I wasn't trying to suggest we should do this (the OP didn't really send that message I guess), but Jackson would fit a need, unlike the other big name FAs we have pursued pre-Shanahan. That's what made this "should we" thread a little more pertinent, IMO.

Lol. Dude, I've been thinking about posting this all friggin' day, and was about to post a thread about it before I realize you had already done it.

Ultimately, I don't think he'd ever come in on, like a Braylon Edwards deal or something. Some team would shell out the $50 million, $24 mil guaranteed that he wanted. Mike's not in the business of making those deals for a wide receiver who has character issues and is skittish about going across the middle after a couple concussions. It's not as insane as everyone is making it sound. We'd have a nice little core if D-Jax here.

I also think people don't understand that you're not saying we SHOULD do it, just that it's an interesting idea and discussion topic, on a day where our bright spot on offense got IRed, and talking about this is better than dwelling inthat.

If he was willing to come in a smart deal that was packed with incentives for good play and that would be easier to trade down the line, I'd do it.

We should definitely sign him because we have such amazing history with big name FAs.

/sarcasm off...

seriously Redskins fans will never learn I guess...

Just because we have taken some lumps in free agency doesn't mean we should abandon it. In fact, I think FA has to be a part of the solution going forward. But it has to be done correctly. Personally, while I understand the jury is still out, I think cofield, and bowen and carriker and MAYBE even Josh Wilson and Chester were smart free agent signings. Young guys, about to elevate into solid starters somewhere else, with decent character. Now that doesn't exactly sound like Djax to me and without completely derailing the thread, I would be very wary of Djax on this team. BUT, the idea that "we never learn" if we want to use free agency to get better has been overstated by many on this board.

Personally, I'd like to use free agency to get interior lineman next year and use the draft for skill positions like Qb and WR. But, this team is alot better if we get the franchize QB with our first pick, a playmaker at WR with our second (ie Mcnutt or Dwight Jones), a MLB or a corner (ie Brandon Boykin) with our 3rd, and then offensive lineman in Free Agency (Carl Nicks, or even Livings from Cinci). Although I wouldn't totally freak if we made a play at Mike Wallace out of Pittsburgh either.

We definitely need a big playmaker on the outside, but Jackson doesn't catch enough balls for the money. I'd like to sign one of the three: Vincent Jackson, Dwayne Bowe or Colston.

Don't think there's a chance in hell of getting D-Bowe or Coltson, and I've soured on V-Jax ever since he quit on his route versus the Raiders and let Phillips Rivers get picked off in the end zone.

Jackson is going to want to be paid among the top recievers in the league, and in reality he's a one trick pony at the position. Not necessarily trying to bash on him, as I feel he's one of the elite playmakers in the game who game breaking ability, but he's not a complete player. He can catch the deep ball and return punts, that's about it. To be one of the top paid recievers in the game you have to be able to do more then that IMO.

Just because we have taken some lumps in free agency doesn't mean we should abandon it. In fact, I think FA has to be a part of the solution going forward. But it has to be done correctly. Personally, while I understand the jury is still out, I think cofield, and bowen and carriker and MAYBE even Josh Wilson and Chester were smart free agent signings. Young guys, about to elevate into solid starters somewhere else, with decent character. Now that doesn't exactly sound like Djax to me and without completely derailing the thread, I would be very wary of Djax on this team. BUT, the idea that "we never learn" if we want to use free agency to get better has been overstated by many on this board.

With you on this, though Carriker wasn't a FA. I would definitely continue to shop for Free Agents, but I would generally spread the money out. I would rather sign 6-7 quality guys than 3 real big names.

Jackson is going to want to be paid among the top recievers in the league, and in reality he's a one trick pony at the position. Not necessarily trying to bash on him, as I feel he's one of the elite playmakers in the game who game breaking ability, but he's not a complete player. He can catch the deep ball and return punts, that's about it. To be one of the top paid recievers in the game you have to be able to do more then that IMO.

Agreed. If he would go for a lesser deal, though, would you sign him?

Like not alligator arm in over the middle, even after his big concussion.

The even worse thing about him being scared to go over the middle, though, is that, on the big hit fronm Dunte Robinson, he's running a slant/crossing patter through zone coverage. If he had sat down in the hole in the zone, he would've caught it and turned up for a big game. Instead he made a stupid rookie mistake, ran through coverage, and that happened.

Archived