Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Detroit wants to disinvite Nickelback from its Thanksgiving game

fullnelson9999

What's even more sad is that I originally heard about this from a Nickelback fan. Yes, they do exist.

For the first time in eons, the Lions are a very exciting and competitive team, which means that football fans around the country will not be scheduling their post-Tryptophan naps to coincide with the appearance of Ford Field's home team. It's a marquee game for once, so you'd think that a tribute to some tough Detroit rock would be in order.

Nope. Instead, the league has presented us with halftime entertainment in the form of the inexplicably popular proto-generic post-grunge band Nickelback. That's right -- these seventh-generation Pearl Jammers are set to whine and squall at halftime of the Lions' game against the Green Bay Packers on Thanksgiving Day, and the city of Detroit is not at all happy about it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Detroit-wants-to-disinvite-Nickelback-from-its-T?urn=nfl-wp11074

I'm in the minority, but I like Nickelback. Hell, I've seen 'em live, and they kick ass. Generic? Maybe. Still, you could do worse.

:secret: Hating something just because it's popular to hate it doesn't make you "cool."

Not my video, but I was there.

9bNB8zydMcE&hd=1

EDIT: NSFW (language)

I went to Nickelback on 9/15/01 in Charlotte... They put on a hell of a show in front of 3k people at a end of summer music festival... This was obviously 4 days after 9/11 and 4 days after Silver Side Up debuted... The only two songs I knew of theirs (or anyone knew) was Leader of Men (I still love that song) and How you Remind me... Their performance was overshadowed by the likes of Stroke 9 (who played without a drummer b/c he was in NY visiting family when the attacks happened), American Hi-Fi, Angie Aparo, The Crystal Method, Three Doors Down (Once again think back over 10 years ago), Dave Navarro, and several others...

Once I realized that Clear Channel was taking over the world (due to my DJ friend who told me about kickbacks stations get for playing a certain artist enough) I hated Nickelback, as well as all the other crap bands...

... Their performance was overshadowed by the likes of Stroke 9 (who played without a drummer b/c he was in NY visiting family when the attacks happened), American Hi-Fi, Angie Aparo, The Crystal Method, Three Doors Down (Once again think back over 10 years ago), Dave Navarro, and several others...

I saw 3DD at the Bottle and Cork in OC, Md back in the late 90's (maybe early 2000) I know was just before their first album/single came out (was that superman? I can't remember), anyway, they frickin rocked. They put on an awesome show for like 300 people inside this little bar (if you've ever to B & C you know its not a big place by any means). As far as Nickleback goes, <shiver> i'll probably just skip the halftime show.

What's even more sad is that I originally heard about this from a Nickelback fan. Yes, they do exist.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Detroit-wants-to-disinvite-Nickelback-from-its-T?urn=nfl-wp11074

Hey I think everyone just needs to settle down....nothing is going to change this Thanksgiving because Detroit is still going to lose.

Is Nickelback really that much worse than EVERY single halftime show in the past 6 years? It cant possibly be worse. I think Nickelback is actually pretty decent. And their live stuff is pretty good. But their problem is that they have like 2-3 terrible limp wrist songs. And 2 of those 3 get played on the radio... all the time. So, yea though they may be good, they deserve the disdain they get.

On another note, has anyone heard their tribute song to Dimebag Darrel? " Side of a Bullet" I think its their best song. Ok, carry on with the nickelbashing.

I like some of their songs....

But something happened. I think they did it to themselves. They just did every too bit concert they would get a gig at. This past summer I bought a $5 nationals ticket (Good seats too) and the promotion was a FREE nickleback concert after the show. Only about 1000 people stayed for the show (Which was actually pretty good).

There are literally hundreds of crappy, generic rock bands that get played on the radio every day, yet for some reason people act like Nickelback is the only crappy, generic rock band that gets played on the radio.

I don't actively pursue their music anymore, but I like some of their stuff. And yes, I have been to one of their shows. I was in high school and I think it was at one of those MTV campus invasion tours and they were really good live.

---------- Post added November-4th-2011 at 09:45 AM ----------

I saw 3DD at the Bottle and Cork in OC, Md back in the late 90's (maybe early 2000) I know was just before their first album/single came out (was that superman? I can't remember), anyway, they frickin rocked. They put on an awesome show for like 300 people inside this little bar (if you've ever to B & C you know its not a big place by any means). As far as Nickleback goes, <shiver> i'll probably just skip the halftime show.

I went to a free 3 Doors Down show on Brown's Island in Richmond when I was in high school. Still one of my favorite concerts ever. They had a new drummer and while the rest of the band took a break between sets, the drummer went off on a 10 minute solo. It was freaking awesome!

You know what I love? When people tell people what to like. Because we all know that we can only like what others approve of. :doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Yeah, because that statement even remotely makes alittle bit of sense..... Don't be mad cause nobody likes Nickelback, I didn't tell Detroit not to like them. There music speaks for themselves I guess huh?

Archived