Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: R.I.P. to 14 cars and trucks for 2012

China

R.I.P. to 14 cars and trucks for 2012

As 2011 runs out, so does the life of these 14 cars and trucks, victims of changing tastes, corporate indifference. While a few never had much of a following, several were popular in their peak, and a couple were movie stars and mainstays of American freeways for decades. But with more than 300 models of new vehicles available to American car buyers, not even the favorite of the fast and furious crowd can just coast. Here's the roll call:

Click on the link for the list

I'm rather surprised about some of them. Like the Crown Vic. I agree with the article that there are some people who simply have to gave a big, four-door, car, like taxis and police departments.

And I would assume that those customers, in particular, would be vary brand loyal, because they care so much about the vehicle's reliability and maintainability. That those would be the kind of customers who won't leave a brand unless they're forced to.

I saw several models, they said "They would have had to spend billions updating this model". I wonder why? Are there a slew of new laws coming on board, and the existing designs can't meet the new regs?

The Honda Element is one of the dumbest looking cars around these days. That said, the interior is really nice and it's a great car for tailgating or camping-type activities

As for the Mitsubishi Eclipse, I'm pretty sure that one of every five kids in my high school graduating class had one of these.

The Honda Element is one of the dumbest looking cars around these days. That said, the interior is really nice and it's a great car for tailgating or camping-type activities

Yeah I remember I was putting a TV into someone's Element when I was working at Wal-Mart and they put the seat up on a carabiner in about 20 seconds it was out of the way just hanging to the side of the car.

I didn't think anybody bought them but police departments and taxi cabs.

Still, I would have thought that that was a viable market.

My wife's great aunt drove one up until last year. It was the last of the models with a turbo engine. That thing hauled ass.

My grandfather was a special agent cop and bought a Crown Vic to sit out infront of my hardware store for extra security. We still have it. Thing feels like a tank driving. Bear to get movie but damn the thing can move for how heavy it is. Thing is awful on 2 Lane streets. Every one goes the speed limit but on the highway everyone gets the hell out of the way of it.

Dang, I guess if the Crown Vic is gone, then so is the Grand Marquis. I had mine for three years. That thing used to float on the highway. As far as the gas, it was alright, but I still had fun driving until it was stolen in June. :( I don't missed getting pulled over by the police though :doh: I swear it happened like once a month where I get pulled over for no reason. :whoknows:

My favorite comment from that article:

Good bye crown-vic/ interceptor. I will miss you, mostly because you are super easy to spot in my rear view mirror.

Remembering an exchange from the old Rockford show. Rockford has managed to get the mob and the Feds after him. He's out in his car, and his buddy says there's a car following them.

Rockford: is it the mob, or the Feds?

Client: how should I know?

Rockford: is it a grey Chevy?

Client: nope. A blue Ford.

Rockford then begins a chase scene, which Rockford loses. When he fails to get away, a bunch of guys with guns jump out and tell "FBI".

As Rockford is being led away, he asks "When did you folks start driving blue Fords?".

FBI: When the mob started driving grey Chevys.

Archived