Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rotoworld: Report--Skins 'most likely' done with Cooley (Updated on 10/27 w/more Cooley news)

MattFancy

Seriously? From your tone it sounds like you hate MS. This same MS who worked trades exceptionally well to get us 12 draft picks in the 2011 draft?

No hate for MS but he made some questionable decisicions about some players we KNEW were on the down swing or KNEW they wernt going to fit the scheme (A. Carter). Lets say we traded Cooley for a single 4th round pick this year. We could of ended up with some one like Clint Boling, a guard who would of made a good fit in the ZBL scheme we run as a depth guy or potential starter. Lets say we traded A. Carter last year after he had 11 sacks the previous year. For argument sake we got another 4 for him. A team like atlanta might need a DE to go on their line. Well in the 4th round of the draft in 10 the Falcons drafted Joe Hawley another guard who has started 3 games for the Falcons.

Just saying

If this ends up being Cooley's final year with the Skins, I have to say I'll be pretty sad. He's easily my favorite modern-era Redskin. My kids love him and my older boy attended his football camps. He's got a great attitude and engages fans like no other. I hope his knee gets better and he comes back to us stronger than ever, but if it isn't meant to be then I wish him all the success in the world.

I wanted him traded as much as anybody, but I don't think there is much justification for an "I told ya so" line here. My reasoning was that his age and salary, Davis' upside and pending Free Agency and the desperate need for young talent via draft picks meant trading him was the only logical thing to do. And I still believe that was true. But I never said "his knee is going to become spaghetti" so I didn't really tell anybody "so" and neither did most of you. Just sayin'.

I wanted him traded as much as anybody, but I don't think there is much justification for an "I told ya so" line here. My reasoning was that his age and salary, Davis' upside and pending Free Agency and the desperate need for young talent via draft picks meant trading him was the only logical thing to do. And I still believe that was true. But I never said "his knee is going to become spaghetti" so I didn't really tell anybody "so" and neither did most of you. Just sayin'.

Agreed...I was banging the drum too, but not because I thought he'd break down. I actually thought he'd play well for a few years no matter where he went.

First off the "all pro" talk needs to just end with Davis. He's no where close to being that at this moment and his cieling is no higher than some of the other young "stud" TE's that are doing far more than him already.

Second off, the smartest thing to do would be to offer to restructure Cooley's contract so that its less pay. He's already stated he'd like to remain a Redskin and has no desire to play elsewhere, even hinting that he'd almost rather retire. I'd like to see them restructure for perhaps half of what he's due to get, somewhere in the 1 to 2 mil range, and go from there. He's still valuable on the field, as last year showed us, when healthy. Even if Fred Davis is our starter, Cooley sitll presents us a solid backup that makes two tight end sets a serious possability. He serves versatility being our best all around tight end and even shifting to come out from the back field as a FB. He's a good lockerroom guy, good intangables, and an excellent ambassador to the team.

With all the dough this team flings around every year, and considering we have plenty of cap space, there's no reason why we couldn't give Cooley a decent but reasonable salary and keep him here for another 3 or 4 years before potential retirement. He's more valuable to us than he is to any other team in the league at the moment and is a good player. I don't think you can keep him at the $3.8 mil, but I see no reason why renegotiation isn't possible.

I love the rocket scientists who blame Grossman for Cooley.

I guess they were not paying attention because Cooley looked done long before a NORMAL swing pass in which he hurt his FINGER. So unless people are saying he's done thanks to a FINGER, please stfu about Grossman you look very foolish.

I said it ages ago, in order for the Davis pick to have made sense Cooley should have been traded in 2008 but instead he was given a new contract. He then gets hurt and Davis looked pretty good in 2009 after Cooley goes out and again we don't dump Cooley.

Now we get nothing for him.

They NEVER looked good together. The whole "two stud tight ends" thing was always a made up myth by fans who could not accept that either A- the Davis pick was bad or B- their favorite player Cooley needed to go.

Davis has excelled only when Cooley has been out and not taking snaps away from him. It's long overdue for Cooley to be shown the door.

WOW! The article says that he is likely to be done as a Redskin and everyone on here believes it is a done deal just like they did last year. Now the injuries make it more likely to happen but by no means is it going to definitely happening. All pure speculation with no actual facts or insider source news to support it. The next rumor you will here from a sports writer is that we are going to trade everything to get Andrew Luck. Oh! Wait! that rumor is already out there.

First off the "all pro" talk needs to just end with Davis. He's no where close to being that at this moment and his cieling is no higher than some of the other young "stud" TE's that are doing far more than him already.

Look how far behind all these studs Davis sits.:ols:

3rd in receiving yards 26 yds. behind 2nd place

2nd in 20+ yds. catches

His td numbers are on pace with everyone else who doesn't have Brees or Brady throwing to them.

I wouldn't be surprised if cooley would welcome a change to a new team. His role here was changed drastically by the new regime and I doubt he'll object to be relieved of the blocking assignments he was being given more and more.

I wouldn't be surprised if cooley would welcome a change to a new team. His role here was changed drastically by the new regime and I doubt he'll object to be relieved of the blocking assignments he was being given more and more.

How has his role changed under Shanahan? He had one of the better years of his career last season.

I knew should of traded him 2 years ago while he still had value. Another non trade from MS that could of netted us a draft pick.

Yeah, people who understand building for the future knew it too. I love Cooley but what a wasted opportunity....

---------- Post added October-26th-2011 at 01:40 PM ----------

Yes. Let's focus on that one catch he didn't make 6 years ago and ignore his 500 other receptions. What a dick post.

+1 seriously...

How can you focus on one drop after the great career he has had? Give me a break.

I think a lot depends on his relative health next year and his willingness to renegotiate. That being said, I still think he has a lot of football left in him. Given the relative lack of receivers who have proven they can do the job on this team, I don't know if they are going to be so quick to let one go.

Archived