Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rotoworld: Report--Skins 'most likely' done with Cooley (Updated on 10/27 w/more Cooley news)

MattFancy

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/217833/report-redskins-most-likely-done-w-cooley

Chris Cooley (injured reserve, knee/finger) has most likely played his last game as a Redskin, sources tell beat writer Chris Russell.

Cooley is due $3.8 million next season, turns 30 in July and will have missed 20 games due to injury in the last three years. With emerging stud Fred Davis set to hit free agency after the 2012 season, the Redskins need to be saving money at the tight end position. Cooley's knee woes also appear chronic, making it doubtful he ever returns to the form he showed while becoming the Redskins' all-time leader in catches by a tight end.

Just saw this on there today (10/27)

Chris Cooley (injured reserve, knee) said microfracture surgery is the last option.

According to Dr. James Andrews, microfracture surgery would give Cooley just a 50-50 chance of playing again. Cooley revealed Thursday that he needed his left knee drained 15 times this season, blamed the lockout for his struggles to get to 100 percent and admitted he was used as a blocker because he couldn't be fast or quick out of cuts. It's a lot of red flags for the Cooley, who is likely to be released this summer.

Doesn't sound good...

Quote from Cooley:

Originally Posted by Chris Cooley

“We did another MRI of my knee, we did more weight-bearing X-rays of my knee and we made a conscious decision that four or five weeks wasn’t enough time to ensure that it would get better,” said Cooley, who missed all of the preseason and this regular season was limited to just eight catches for 65 yards. “We didn’t want to go in further and do a microfracture surgery. Microfracture surgery would limit my chances of playing next season. And so, we made the decision that if I take three to four months right now without running, seriously rehabbing my knee, I should be fine next year, I should have no swelling and should not have to incur a more invasive procedure, and that was not only in the best interest of myself, but also the Washington Redskins and me performing for this team for the next four or five years.”

it is very, very, easy to see now.

cooley is, and will always be a treasured skin ... but i would be shocked if we keep him.

1. inflated salary

2. official injury prone status

3. talented back up behind him

4. over 30

how can anyone look past that.

i hope we can keep him, for the same reasons we kept Tana, but man, it will take some give and take from both sides.

I don't believe for a moment that this decision has been made but obviously the conjecture was inevitable and it is a valid discussion point.

Unfortunately I think the logical move will be to move on with 47. He has been one of my favourite 'Skins since he was drafted but we'll need to save the money and with Davis playing at the level he's playing at. I fear a good bye Cooley thread is less than a year away.

What a great way to end a career with the Skins.... A swing pass from freaking Rex Grossman where he got set up to get laid out.

no **** ...sickening. so sickening. cooley was a freaking casualty of that reckless bum/bull in a china shop.

it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. I've been saying this, even before he got injured. Extend Freddy with Logan as the primary back up.

---------- Post added October-26th-2011 at 08:34 AM ----------

Well if this is true the people on this board that were clamoring to trade him in the offseason were right. Now were not gonna get anything for him.

I can't imagine what we would have recieved for him during the offseason... I think his value dropped like 2 seasons ago, when he got hurt the first time and Freddy started to emerge.

I am a HUGE Chris Cooley fan and will remain a Chris Cooley fan no matter where he goes, but I agree with the article - Chris is done in Washington. I hate that, but we have a future all-pro in Fred Davis and we need to lock him up quickly. We also have Logan Paulsen who seems like he's starting to break out as well. There just isn't any room left on the team for Chris Cooley at this point, and going with Davis and Paulsen keeps the youth movement going.

it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. I've been saying this, even before he got injured. Extend Freddy with Logan as the primary back up.

---------- Post added October-26th-2011 at 08:34 AM ----------

I can't imagine what we would have recieved for him during the offseason... I think his value dropped like 2 seasons ago, when he got hurt the first time and Freddy started to emerge.

Agreed but I think we could have atleast got a 5th now nothing. But hell with the raiders in the offseason losing Miller to free agency they might have given us a 2nd or 3rd.

its a big if but if he is completely healthy by the time camp comes around next year, no way Dan gives a crap about 3.8 million. And its not that we are hurting massively against the cap. I see a restructure on his contract and if Cooley wants to stay here he will.

This is I completely agree with.

More then likely he was more valuable to use then any other team.

What is the highest he would have gotten? A 4th?

Yeah I agree. Not really sure what we could've gotten for him at the time. A bunch of teams don't value the TE as highly as we do. The Bears only got a 3rd for Olsen when they traded him this past offseason. I don't think we would've gotten anything more than that for Cooley. So what would've been more valuable at the time: a Pro Bowl TE or a 3rd rounder?

Welp, I was saying we should have traded him 2 years ago after Davis first broke out.

Could have gotten a 2nd or 3rd, but nooo, he was a "core Skin" and we could make the "2 TE offense" work so well.

The problem was that he was coming off a knee injury that sidelined him for the season. That would have sent up major red flags around the league. I think we just need to come to grips with the fact that (though a great player and one of the best TEs in Redskins history), he doesn't have any value and won't get anything back for him. Not 2 years ago and not now.

unless he takes a paycut, hes gone. especially if we want to lock up davis long term.

He's been a great Redskin and I've loved having him here. I'm not a Cooley fanboy, but there really isn't much more we could have asked of him over his 7-8 years here. Many times he was our #1 or #2 option in the passing game.

However, Paulsen looks more than capable of taking over as the secondary pass-catching TE. In fact, this year specifically he looks even faster and smoother than Cooley. I understand that isn't entirely fair given Cooley's injuries. But it is what it is.

Archived