Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hello... I'm Reality... You may have confused me with Expectations.

KDawg

One of the things you realize more and more as a coach, that I didn't realize prior to coaching... Good teams get breaks. I'm not quite sure why, I can't even explain it, but its true.

Then, how do you explain the Crackgirls always getting the ball to bounce the right way almost every time? I swear. I've never seen a luckier team in all of sports!

OP is right but I'd say there is a difference between a hopeless 6 or 8 win team and cautious optimism 6 or 8 win team.

Honest to God I don't care about wins and losses anymore all I keep asking for figuratively is "can you show me something?" Can I get a peek at the "culture of winning" that is supposedly being built out at Redskins Park, can I see some ******* enthusiasm, a consistent, solid, professional effort by players AND coaches from one week to another?

Anything but this hand wringing pedantic mediocrity that I'm seeing now.

As fans are we not supposed to be entertained at some point? Is this not supposed to be an enjoyable thing, watching pro football on Sundays?

A couple things absolutely killed me after this Sunday.

A. They lost to a rookie QB who I'd say 90% of "experts" and 99% of ESers said would struggle at best as an NFL QB. But guess what? He's amazing and they beat the Skins handily, got up to a 17 pt. difference at one point. What's worse is that for the life of me I can't imagine a scenario where that could possibly have happened if the roles were reversed and the Skins had picked him last offseason. He'd still be on the bench behind Rex Grossman because his "spirals don't rotate just quite the right way for Kyle."

B. This season is now officially over. There officially is not enough QB talent to win more than 5 or 6 games. So the next 10 meaningless games which could have been prime development opportunity for a young QB will be wasted on two journeymen who won't start past week 17. Essentially a complete waste of time. Why is that? Nobody has an answer to this yet a lot of people keep nodding their head in approval of what's going on.

C. This team continues to not do any one particular thing well. It has no identity, it is not building itself into anything more than a middle-of-the-road west coast offense, 3-4 defense playing drone.

I realize "rebuilding" isn't instantaneous but what is the line of demarcation between "these guys know what they're doing" and "maybe they don't?" I'm just curious what that value is. I want to understand and see what others see. Help me out.

OP is right but I'd say there is a difference between a hopeless 6 or 8 win team and cautious optimism 6 or 8 win team.

Honest to God I don't care about wins and losses anymore all I keep asking for figuratively is "can you show me something?" Can I get a peek at the "culture of winning" that is supposedly being built out at Redskins Park, can I see some ******* enthusiasm, a consistent, solid, professional effort by players AND coaches from one week to another?

That's exactly how I felt after yesterdays game

Players care. The players go out and hustle and play their ass off. Sometimes, you get beat by the guy in front of you. That's just the way the ball bounces.

It's fans who convince themselves players don't care, who aren't being pros, who aren't enthusiastic. It's much easier to say "MAN, THESE GUYS DON'T CARE, NO ONE CARES!" than it is to think your favorite team is going out there fully intending to kick ass, but just straight up gets beat.

And who's going to be upbeat and chipper when you get down. Then the whole story if they were laughing and joking a pumped up would be they weren't taking the game seriously enough.

I realize "rebuilding" isn't instantaneous but what is the line of demarcation between "these guys know what they're doing" and "maybe they don't?" I'm just curious what that value is. I want to understand and see what others see. Help me out.

i won't go into details, because your mind is made up but i want you to think about a couple of things:

1) the players that were cut

2) the players that were brought in

3) the salary cap before and after

4) the draft, not only the quality of players but the quantity of players

5) the way playing time is decided

6) the actions taken during FA

7) the actions of the players during the lockout

if you think about these things and don't feel more comfortable now with them than in year 2 with zorn and vinny then feel free to say that they're just messing around and don't know what they're doing.

but if you step back and look at the strategic moves this team has taken as a whole, and sure there have been mistakes, and you're still not happy i don't know what to tell you.

Right, look at the panthers. They suck but they're exciting and you can see something being built. You can see a direction that is progressing into a winner. We look ****ed up from left to right.

steve smith 3rd round draft pick

jordan gross 1st round draft pick

chris gamble 1st round draft pick

deangelo williams 1st round draft pick

jon beason 1st round draft pick

johnathon stewart 1st round draft pick

jeff otah 1st round draft pick

cam newton 1st round draft pick

actually looking at their draft history i would be all over their GM, it's not a pretty picture.

Right, look at the panthers. They suck but they're exciting and you can see something being built. You can see a direction that is progressing into a winner. We look ****ed up from left to right.

If you saw any of their other games you'd see that their defense is pathetic, they give up big run after big run after big run.

Hightower was tearing them apart.

You get starstruck by Newton and their big plays and realize they they've built on one side of the ball so far, and so have we.

And just like this week our young defense had a let down, last week their offense had a letdown.

Paying attention is free.

~Bang

i won't go into details, because your mind is made up but i want you to think about a couple of things:

if you think about these things and don't feel more comfortable now with them than in year 2 with zorn and vinny then feel free to say that they're just messing around and don't know what they're doing.

but if you step back and look at the strategic moves this team has taken as a whole, and sure there have been mistakes, and you're still not happy i don't know what to tell you.

I wish I could put this in my sig. I can't understand how some people can look past this and say "Shanny doesn't have a direction" just because of the QB situation. Those people will never be happy.

If you saw any of their other games you'd see that their defense is pathetic, they give up big run after big run after big run.

Hightower was tearing them apart.

You get starstruck by Newton and their big plays and realize they they've built on one side of the ball so far, and so have we.

And just like this week our young defense had a let down, last week their offense had a letdown.

Paying attention is free.

~Bang

I will be waiting on your explanations for each loss as they pile in week by week brother Bang. Your persuasive communication skills are so elaborate. Hopefully we reach your goal of 8-8. If we don't I'm sure you will find away to make it all make sense.

Hail!

I will be waiting on your explanations for each loss as they pile in week by week brother Bang. Your persuasive communication skills are so elaborate. Hopefully we reach your goal of 8-8. If we don't I'm sure you will find away to make it all make sense.

Hail!

:ols: sometimes it IS just a ****ed up mess.

But not at the moment.

I'm not as much a homer as I may sound, but i do believe that this FO is due the benefit of the doubt. They have the cred to earn that. They never made any bones about how long it may take to get this mess cleaned up.

~Bang

Need a franchise QB to take the next step...like the direction of this team.
Honestly need a lot more than 1 Franchise QB. We need 1 or 2 more good offseasons, like this last 1 to really get a solid team. Don't believe me? Here is a list of what we need:

Quarterback

Offensive Line

Cornerback

Inside Linebacker

Wide Receiver

And the biggest thing we need: Depth.

If you look around the league, great teams have great depth. The difference between a teams starter and the backup is key. Our's is a huge difference. There's a big drop off in terms of quality from our starters to the 2nd team, while a great team, that drop off wouldn't be that great. Now the list I gave doesn't seem that big, but when you take into account that you may only get 3 keepers from a whole draft class, it is a big list. Especially adding in the depth we desperately need.

no one believes in the Redskins lol Kevin Sheehan on espn980 said the Redskins were going to win and he picked them then today he confessed the he bet money against the Redskins for the panthers game. Now obviously he won and good for him but dont say the Redskins are going to win to get ppl to tune in then go and bet money on the opposing team and not come clean about it unless someone brings it up.

A bright spot on this team is that we've been inconsistent. What I mean is that in every phase of the game (seriously; from o-line play to the kicking game) they've all had their moments of great play. I think consistency is one of the easier things to fix on our team - it comes from talent, coaching, and most importantly experience. Experience in individual positions, in playing with the same guys, and in an offensive or defensive system. Although this team has plenty of issues, we shouldn't ignore the benefits that a little patience is going to bring us.

Next year we get Jenkins back, our depth is getting experience, and everyone gets another year in the systems. Our offense and defense should both be improved next year just by virtue of time/experience. The only positions that may be static or even regress are qb and mlb, and I expect both to be addressed in the draft/FA.

Depth is difficult to build nowadays. Not sure with the new cap, and the new rookie system will surely help,, but in the era of a tight cap, when a backup proved he could play it was very hard to keep him.

And the way we'd been building by throwing money around and using capology instead of common sense, there simply isn't enough money to pay backups the kind of cash they can get by leaving and starting elsewhere.

The silver lining to the injuries is in getting these guys some playing time. At this stage of our development, it's invaluable. You don't WANT to see it, but since we're in this position, these players can take advantage of it.

~Bang

Honestly need a lot more than 1 Franchise QB. We need 1 or 2 more good offseasons, like this last 1 to really get a solid team. Don't believe me? Here is a list of what we need:

Quarterback

Offensive Line

Cornerback

Inside Linebacker

Wide Receiver

And the biggest thing we need: Depth.

If you look around the league, great teams have great depth. The difference between a teams starter and the backup is key. Our's is a huge difference. There's a big drop off in terms of quality from our starters to the 2nd team, while a great team, that drop off wouldn't be that great. Now the list I gave doesn't seem that big, but when you take into account that you may only get 3 keepers from a whole draft class, it is a big list. Especially adding in the depth we desperately need.

Agree completely. There isn't a position on this team that couldn't use a shot in the arm and a few (QB, WR & CB) that need bonafide blue-chippers!

We are a ways away yet. Problem is, most folks around here don't see it or if they do, don't have the stomach for it.

Yeah, good points but stadiums don't fill up with 70,000 people to watch Bruce Allen sit at a desk at the 50 yard line and get to work.

Also, is it just me or is all this standard stuff any organization should be doing? Drafting smart, weighing risk/reward in FA better, etc. OK, so it's better than the last regime, big deal. This instills very little enjoyment or confidence in me as a fan and elicits ZERO VISCERAL response. I will never understand how people FEEL good about this when this is the ONLY thing they're apparently doing well and that's conveniently ignoring last year's complete boners.

On top of actually suffering through those dreadful seasons do we now have to pay an interminable debt for that ineptitude by ignoring any and all current ineptitude because the FO semantics are "improved?" What is the year, game, time where all this B.S. comes to boil with the Shanaheads? Are you being so pesimistic that you have now collapsed onto yourself and see optimism where there is none? "Our FO is seemingly competent" has replaced "Hail to the Redskins" as our battle cry now? It's getting people through 16 games until August 2012? Really? It's getting people excited about year three of Shanahan after two losing seasons? (A mere formality at this point.)

I'm supposed to be optimistic because my team is now almost 1.5 years into a regime showing no competitive improvement AT ALL while boring me to the point of migitated rage on Sundays on it's way to losing more than winning because they actually have a GM this time and a coach with a resume that doesn't end at Matt Hasselbeck's personal trainer? Really? That's it?

If these improvements listed are so important how can they NOT be manifesting themselves already? Why do they look just like they did in 09? (On the field.)

Btw, am I the only one who wants the Shanahans nowhere near a rookie QB? I mean so far they've gone with McNabb, Grossman and Beck INSTEAD OF already being 22 games into developing someone, wtf for? There is no logical answer to this and no, "there was nobody there" is just as lame a reason as "Cam Newton will suck" and represents a complete lack of vision which I wouldn't hold against any fan but my football team? Yeah, I do.

I can see it now, Luck will get drafted, not want to suck Kyle Shanahan's **** and get benched for some bull **** reason like "his balls aren't tight enough." 60% of ES will nod approvingly "He ain't ready yet, says my lord, so I believe it."

By all means be optimistic, I have yet to see anything "big picture positive" regarding this team on the field, where it counts, and I'm not only talking wins and losses. I'd still like to know what the measuring stick will be for the Shanaheads though. End of year 3? I'm honestly curious, I'd like to temper my opinion with what others really expect with the current batch of snake oil salesmen.

Pretty sure I remember a poll about this in the past, be interesting how it would compare to one now (midyear) and one at the end of the season.

...So basically, Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen have to fix in a season and a half seasons what it took 15 years to destroy. Okay. That makes sense.

If you're watching games and going "This is as bad as '09", 1.) get over it, it's 2011 and Jim Zorn isn't here so stop boo-hooing over seasons past and live in the friggin' now, and 2.) you're not paying attention. This team couldn't get lined up in a proper huddle in 2009. Seriously, nothing we're doing now is as bad as Swinging Gate, as bad as the Bingo Caller, as bad as Albert taking plays off, as bad as Snyder's continued meddling. Nothing about this team is like that team. It took 15 years to annihilate everyuthing that had been built prior.

Way I figure it, every fan has got three choices. You can either

1.) Continue to waste your time, money and energy watching a team you're clearly fed up with, ruining your entire week over a silly little football game and sending your blood pressure through the wolf, grumbling why me every week until we get better.

2.) Accept that this team is STILL rebuilding, and that yes, it is stupid and insane to think that we can fix all the problems the football teams has over the course of 1.5 seasons, including an offseason that was shortened, and just go along for the ride, being disappointed with the losses by accepting that losing is A PART of rebuilding.

Or 3.) Kindly turn in your fan card at the door and go bandwagon jump on an infinitely more likeable team, because if ya ain't in it for the long haul, all you're going to be for the next couple seasons is bitter as FRAK that this team isn't where you want it to be. Clearly the football fix you're looking for isn't available here, so perhaps you'd be better served putting your eyeballs and spending your money on a different football team, if you have to watch football at all.

...So basically, Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen have to fix in a season and a half seasons what it took 15 years to destroy. Okay. That makes sense.

A little unfair, not what I'm expecting at all.

Just clue me in as a fan at any point that this "grand reconstruction" is in fact really happening. Something, anything, I'll know it when I see it.

Unfortunately it's not on their agenda.

I mean who "rebuilds" for two solid season while NOT developing a QB? Of course it's the Redskins. :)

Who still "rebuilds" on a five year schedule a la the 1980's before free agency? Again, the Redskins.

And yet people LOVE what they're doing. Don't get it. I'll leave it at that.

Archived