Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatest "Deep Threat" Receiver

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'm confused by this post... They pass now in the NFL, sometimes 60 times a game :) You don't have to think back far at all.

I think Megatron is making a case to be involved in the top echelon of deep threat receivers. All Stafford has to do is put the ball close to him and he seems to come down with it. But Randy Moss is probably the tops of all time at that game.

No, most of what goes for passing these days are just hand offs in space allowed by rule changes that legalized illegal formations, offensive holding and killed man to man. You definitely have to go back at least 20 years to find the best deep threats, even to find the real passing game. I mean, even with the higher completion rate, most of the guys with decent YPA played over 30 years ago and the record for what determines a REAL passing attack, YPC, is almost 50 years old and hasn't even been approached since the late 60s. Further, WR is the one position you could take many of the guys who played back before the 80s, have them play today and they would unarguably be as good or better than almost any of the guys who play today. For instance, Hayes, with no changes in the rules, changed the way defense was played.

tied: Jerry Rice and Randy Moss

With Ricky Sanders running a close second :silly:

Rice doesn't get into this debate.

GOAT no question.

Greatest deep threat ..... he doesn't come close to Moss.

---------- Post added October-12th-2011 at 02:16 PM ----------

Jerry Rice. People remember the slants, and forget what happened when Montana and Young waited a couple seconds more before throwing.

As above.

If you want to talk GOAT, then Rice is RIGHT up there, if not out on his own. But if you were to critique him at all, it would be as a deep threat.

He's not in consideration in this category.

Hail.

I know it's easy to do, but you're confusing me. Why isn't Rice considered in this category?

Because as good as Rice was (the GOAT when it comes to wide-outs for me); in straight-out, over-the-top deep ball terms he doesn't come close to someone like Moss.

Jerry was the quintessential possession receiver for me. The best route runner I've EVER seen, with fantastic, catch anything hands. And although not blessed with blistering speed like Moss, he was no slouch and often deceptively fast with his graceful, long stride running.

But it was nothing compared to Moss for straight out speed down the field deep, and not only out-jumping, but coming down with most any bomb lofted down there.

Rice is the most complete receiver I believe the game's ever seen. But if I have one play to go deep and put it up there, I'd take Moss any day of the week over him.

That's how I view the two FWIW. And why if your talking the 'Greatest 'Deep Threat' Receiver' of all-time, I couldn't consider Rice against guys like Moss.

Hail.

Randy Moss.

I certainly understand the hate on him, and his attitude wasn't always the greatest, but I vividly remember watching him his rookie season and thinking to myself, "I have never seen a WR like this in my life."

I can't remember which documentary, but several years ago I was watching an NFL special where they were highlighting the best-of-the-best at each position. They interviewed several corners and asked them: "Who is the best vertical receiver, straight-line from the LOS to the endzone?" Almost every answer was Moss. The Freak.

It's Randy Moss. It's not close. He wasn't a yards after the first tackler misses kind of guy...he was a guy that jumped over you or ran past you. He is third all-time in TDs and that was with him taking a couple years off in OAK and him being an all-around piece of crap. Rice and Owens both made yards after contact or made people miss. Both Rice and Owens went over the middle...Moss never has and never will.

Because as good as Rice was (the GOAT when it comes to wide-outs for me); in straight-out, over-the-top deep ball terms he doesn't come close to someone like Moss.

Jerry was the quintessential possession receiver for me. The best route runner I've EVER seen, with fantastic, catch anything hands. And although not blessed with blistering speed like Moss, he was no slouch and often deceptively fast with his graceful, long stride running.

But it was nothing compared to Moss for straight out speed down the field deep, and not only out-jumping, but coming down with most any bomb lofted down there.

Rice is the most complete receiver I believe the game's ever seen. But if I have one play to go deep and put it up there, I'd take Moss any day of the week over him.

That's how I view the two FWIW. And why if your talking the 'Greatest 'Deep Threat' Receiver' of all-time, I couldn't consider Rice against guys like Moss.

Hail.

I think you are doing Rice a disservice. He became more of a possesion guy in the 2nd half of his career but in his first few years he had very very good yards per catch averages - his first 5 years he had a better than 18 yards per catch average overall (season high in that stretch over 20 and low just over 16). I know that does not tell a complete story because of run after the catch but when you factor in that in that period he was playing with Joe Montana who is a GOAT candidate at QB but was not a good deep ball thrower its still impressive.

The knock on Jerry was he lacked great speed and thats true but as you said he ran great routes, was very good at selling double moves, got in and out of breaks as fast as any receiver I have seen and had great football speed. He got behind a lot of corners and ran through a lot of zone coverages in his career. He was a lot more than just a possesion receiver he was a weapon teams had to account for every play.

I think you are doing Rice a disservice. He became more of a possesion guy in the 2nd half of his career but in his first few years he had very very good yards per catch averages - his first 5 years he had a better than 18 yards per catch average overall (season high in that stretch over 20 and low just over 16). I know that does not tell a complete story because of run after the catch but when you factor in that in that period he was playing with Joe Montana who is a GOAT candidate at QB but was not a good deep ball thrower its still impressive.

The knock on Jerry was he lacked great speed and thats true but as you said he ran great routes, was very good at selling double moves, got in and out of breaks as fast as any receiver I have seen and had great football speed. He got behind a lot of corners and ran through a lot of zone coverages in his career. He was a lot more than just a possesion receiver he was a weapon teams had to account for every play.

this is a very good point as well, and glad you also stated and recognized his ability to get yards after the catch.....Jerry was indeed knocked for his slow speed and bad 40 times, yet i cant remember many times where he was caught from behind on a slant route he would turn a 10 yard catch into a 70 yard TD on those slants. I know damn well of that considering that game in 93 or 94 VS Dallas when he took a slant the distance and set the tone against Dallas /......

---------- Post added October-13th-2011 at 01:05 PM ----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ_H8B8E5tQ

doesn't at all look slow here (1:32 mark) *Nov 1995

Lance Alworth? Sadly Albert Connell is #50 on highest yds/catch.

I would say Allworth. I never saw him play live, but most if not all of his catches are the classic fly pattern, over the shoulder catch. He may not have the stats of Rice, Brown and all, but he was a feared deep threat that could take it to the house from anywhere on the field.

Archived